Fantastic food finds!

Options

Replies

• neetneetneets
    neetneetneets Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    just discovered how low in cals Corn Thins are - I used to eat light Cruskits but now I love these as they have flavours. I'm purposely staying at uni until dinner time to stop myself from going home and eating more from the packet on my desk.
  • SHillier1983
    SHillier1983 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    212 calorie dinner - great for vegetarians but also great for when you are sick of eating meat or if you've had a bit of a blow out day.
    Egg Plant Pizza

1/2 eggplant - sliced into 2 1cm thin bases
    1/4 cup sliced and sauted mushrooms
    1 tomato
    1 cup of spinach
    40g Mozzarella

5 sautéed asparagus spears on the side

Grill eggplant on both sides first to precook then add all toppings and place back under the grill. You can obviously change the topping depending on your tastes. My husband even said he didn't miss the meat! That is a success on its own.
  • spangey13
    spangey13 Posts: 294
    Options

Also, Watties lite peaches no added sugar - 82 calories, 3g fibre for the WHOLE TIN

I read this, and bought Apricots by mistake. Yucko. First world problems.
    Thanks everyone for all the tips! Apart from my apricot mistake, this has been great reading!
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Oohhh good thread! I love pitango's organic pumpkin and ginger soup, it's under 100 calories so makes a great lunch or snack.

I also have a 'cheat' meal - it's not that flash nutritionally (17g carbs, 3g protein and 1g fat) but again less than 100cal for a whole bowl full - Continental Savoury Tomato & Onion Pasta. Most of their single serve packets are between 95 and 130 cal.

Edited to add Vita Wheat cracked pepper just 23cal a cracker - love these!
  • tankgirlnz
    tankgirlnz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Pams Chocolate Orange Topped Rice Cakes, 86 calories great for sweet cravings and they are so big as its like eating 2-3 biscuits
  • dee_bee
    dee_bee Posts: 36
    Options
    On my recent weekend away, I wanted a trumpet. They didn't have them, so I risked it and got a cornetto. So the cone wasn't crunchy BUT they're 180ish cals as opposed to 250+ for a trumpet. SURPRISE! I didn't miss out and felt good knowing it was under 200!
  • kadinlucas
    kadinlucas Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Best find for me is:

Much Moore - mini yoghurt licks.
    Get 15 for ~$5. Works for me to grab one of these instead of ice cream at night... 49calories each, and really nice.
    I get them from pak n save. http://www.kiwiicecream.co.nz/#/?page=flavours - follow that link, then click much moore, then on the mini yoghurt licks to see what packet looks like,
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    MTR Daily Favourite Ready to Eat Curries - pre made vegetarian curry in various flavours that are between 87 - 200 calories a serving.

Microwaveable or boil in the bag.

Found in the ethnic food aisle in Pak n Save.
  • dee_bee
    Options
    On my recent weekend away, I wanted a trumpet. They didn't have them, so I risked it and got a cornetto. So the cone wasn't crunchy BUT they're 180ish cals as opposed to 250+ for a trumpet. SURPRISE! I didn't miss out and felt good knowing it was under 200!

I take it all back. They were entered in the database wrong. They're about 220ish cals.
  • cbear_
    cbear_ Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers peach slices in jelly tubs! You get 2 in a pack and there only 20cal and soo filling!
    I usually have that and 2 rice cakes with PB as a treat(:
  • faw1001
    faw1001 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    --
  • faw1001
    faw1001 Posts: 131 Member
    Options

I take it all back. They were entered in the database wrong. They're about 220ish cals.

You can get Emma brand trumpet type cones in mocha/choc/vanilla/strawberry/caramel (at woolworths and sometimes pac n save) and they are less than 150 each!!!
  • cbear_
    cbear_ Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    All RICE CAKES, super low cal and freaking good.
  • Sneeze1970
    Options
    I don't know if its a new product from Arnotts but I've recently discovered Arnotts Fun Sticks. They come in multi-packs of 10 smaller packs and are 85 Cal per small pack. Each pack has about 8 little wafer sticks in them. A really yummy, crunchy sweet treat. They come in vanilla & chocolate flavours.
  • Starrynightgrl45
    Starrynightgrl45 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Recently at New World I have found Laughing Cow Lite Cream Cheese squares. Each has 54 calories and can easily be spread over several crackers.. Super yummy and I can't tell the difference between these and other cream cheeses!
  • Starrynightgrl45
    Starrynightgrl45 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Recently at New World I have found Laughing Cow Lite Cream Cheese squares. Each has 54 calories and can easily be spread over several crackers.. Super yummy and I can't tell the difference between these and other cream cheeses!
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Just found in Countdown:

Avalanche Sugar Free Drinking Chocolate mix - with the other tea/coffee/hot chocolate mixes.

8 calories per serve and NO sugar - beats the pants off all other drinking chocolates which are at least 50-60cal with 5-10g sugar.

http://www.avalanchecoffee.co.nz/TheMenuSugarFree/tabid/102/Default.aspx
  • Hjbaker
    Hjbaker Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Just found in Countdown:

Avalanche Sugar Free Drinking Chocolate mix - with the other tea/coffee/hot chocolate mixes.

8 calories per serve and NO sugar - beats the pants off all other drinking chocolates which are at least 50-60cal with 5-10g sugar.

I was in countdown this weekend ... wish I'd seen that, thanks for the heads up
  • spangey13
    spangey13 Posts: 294
    Options
    Just found in Countdown:

Thanks a million! I'll have a go on that
  • flying182
    flying182 Posts: 26
    Options
    Another one, not necessarily a food find but still helps is to use the fine grater to grate cheese, rather than the regular one or slicing it. You'd be surprised how much further 25g of finely grated cheese goes than regular grated, and how much further both go than a slice!

And on the topic of cheese, use parmesan for stuff like baking and cheese sauce - its no lower in fat than other cheddars, but you use a lot less of it for the same taste : )

Good tip on the grating!