Turkey Day Races! Who's doing one?

Options
kaji13
kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
Since my family doesn't usually get together until early afternoon, I thought an early morning 5k would be a great idea for me, especially since I tend to gorge myself on turkey and pie...this will be my 4th 5k race since completing c25k in September!

My goal is to get under 30 minutes (not likely, but that's why it's a goal!) My last 5k I got a 31:15, which is amazing considering my first one in September I did in just over 40 minutes

Anyone else doing a 5k on Thanksgiving?

Replies

• karlyelindsay
    karlyelindsay Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    my city is doing a 5 mile turkey trot, signed up last night! I've only done one 5k since finishing c25k in October. I finished at 36 minutes, I've training to up my distance but still stuck at 12 minute miles how did you improve your time so much? that is awesome!!
  • Oh2BeMaintaining
    Oh2BeMaintaining Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I would love to do a fun run/walk but I can't find one in my area.
  • tajour
    tajour Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm registered for one but hurt myself pretty badly at my first 5K in mid-October. :angry: I did something to my hip during that race and I'm still in pain when I try to walk faster than an octogenarian. So, I'm handing my bib over to my sister and will stand on the sidelines and cheer her one. Kind of bummed about it, actually.
  • yogaga1
    yogaga1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I graduated this morning-YIPPIEEEE!!!!

This will be my first Thanksgiving by myself (separated and family moved across the country a few months ago) so I need something to keep me busy anyway. I had my eyes on our local Turkey Trot but wasn't sure I'd be able to do it...

I'm gunna go for it! :D
  • kaji13
    Options
    my city is doing a 5 mile turkey trot, signed up last night! I've only done one 5k since finishing c25k in October. I finished at 36 minutes, I've training to up my distance but still stuck at 12 minute miles how did you improve your time so much? that is awesome!!

Honestly I think a huge part of the time improvement was the weather and the terrain. My 1st 5k was actually in August, not Sept (my brain is fuzzy sometimes) and it was around 90 degrees out. I had been training on mostly roads and track, but this was a trail run through lots of grass and soft dirt, and my time definitely suffered! I was averaging 11min miles in my practices but that day it was just abysmal!

Now that the weather is cooler and I’m only signing up for road races, my times average just over 10min a mile (which I am happy with!)
  • kaji13
    Options
    I'm registered for one but hurt myself pretty badly at my first 5K in mid-October. :angry: I did something to my hip during that race and I'm still in pain when I try to walk faster than an octogenarian. So, I'm handing my bib over to my sister and will stand on the sidelines and cheer her one. Kind of bummed about it, actually.

Aw that sucks!! I kind of did the same thing...I did a Zombie 5k on Oct. 16th at Six Flags, and it was one of those obstacle course ones where you get flags and the zombies try to take your flags. I knew it was risky signing up for a run like this because I have an old knee injury that is very susceptible to re-injury, but it just sounded like so much fun I had to do it! Sure enough, trying to run over a big stack of haybales, and my leg gets caught between a couple and twists, and my knee tears again. It was so cold out that the swelling stayed down and I was able to finish the run, but I had to wear my knee brace for several days just to even walk (with a ridiculous limp), and it was a couple weeks before I felt comfortable attempting to jog again. I'm just thankful I was only out a couple weeks!! I feel ya though, and I hope you recover quickly so you can get back out there!!
  • kaji13
    Options
    I graduated this morning-YIPPIEEEE!!!!

This will be my first Thanksgiving by myself (separated and family moved across the country a few months ago) so I need something to keep me busy anyway. I had my eyes on our local Turkey Trot but wasn't sure I'd be able to do it...

I'm gunna go for it! :D

Congratulations!! That's wonderful! You should ABSOLUTELY go for it! You'll be so proud of yourself afterwards :) let me know how it goes!
  • 78nSunny
    78nSunny Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Will be doing the Turkey Day run in CharlestonSC. Will be my W8D2, But still going or it.
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I am doing one!!!! finished C25K last week and ready to do this thing. It is going to be fun. I am really looking forward to it.
  • jk262
    jk262 Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    I had a major setback when I came down with pnuemonia so I'm actually starting c25k over. However I am doing Buffalo's TURKEY TROT :) its the OLDEST FOOTRACE IN AMERICA!!! How could I not? Haha, I'll prob walk most of it, but it's my favorite thing to do every Thanksgiving morning.
  • kaji13
    Options
    Will be doing the Turkey Day run in CharlestonSC. Will be my W8D2, But still going or it.

That's great! At that point you're pretty much done with intervals anyway :) let us know how it goes!
    I am doing one!!!! finished C25K last week and ready to do this thing. It is going to be fun. I am really looking forward to it.

You are going to have a blast! And then you'll be able to tell everyone who asks how your Thanksgiving was "I ran a 5k, and it was awesome!"
    I had a major setback when I came down with pnuemonia so I'm actually starting c25k over. However I am doing Buffalo's TURKEY TROT :) its the OLDEST FOOTRACE IN AMERICA!!! How could I not? Haha, I'll prob walk most of it, but it's my favorite thing to do every Thanksgiving morning.

Phew, yeah pneumonia can certainly take you out for a while, no fun at all. Glad you are getting back into it though! I had no idea that was the oldest race in america, that's so cool! If I lived a bit closer, I'd totally do it too :happy: I have a feeling a Turkey Trot is going to become a bit of a tradition for me too!
  • MsBrdlv
    MsBrdlv Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have signed up for my first 5K since graduating about a month ago. It takes place on 12/1 rather than Thanksgiving, and is called the "Reindeer Run." So excited! My speed is still a little on the slow side, right around 45 minutes for 3.1 miles, but this will be my first 5K ever. My goal is to have a time under the 45 minute mark.
  • tniemeyer
    Options
    I have 3 5K's in the next 3 weeks...yikes! One of those is a Turkey Trot Thanksgiving morning. I too am shooting for sub 30. My 1st was in September, I was in week 4 and finished in 36:44, my second was October, after graduation, and finished in 31:45. I'm really hoping that I will hit sub 30 in at least 1 of the next 3.
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I am participating in a 3 miles TURKEY TROT (gym folks at work are organizing it). Hoping to see an improvement with my C25K program I am doing currently (on wk5).
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Yupper !! So excited !! 5k on turkey day. Can only talk one member of my family into doing it, but gonna be fun. We have killer hills in the city, so I will do my usual... walk the ups, run the downs and straights !! I am at about a 12min while which is slow, but getting better.

Gobble Gobble !!
  • snafuing1
    snafuing1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm doing one! It's my first 5k ever, I just finished C25k last week! I'm really nervous because I did the timed method, not the distance method, so my last run was only about 2.75 miles, and I went over the 30 minutes by a couple. I'm gonna be so slow, lol.
  • Hannah645
    Hannah645 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm doing one on Thanksgiving day too! Hope you have fun!
  • MzCara148
    MzCara148 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm in, whoo hooo!!

Hubby and I are meeting my brother and his wife at Turkey Trot about half an hour away. They are marathon runners that had never actually done 5Ks, but I invited them along on my first 5K and they thought it was fun, so I got them hooked I think, as this one was their idea.

This will be my third 5K since graduating. My first was 10/27 - 56 minutes. My second was just this past Saturday at 54 mins. I am SUPER slow - 17 minute pace - but both of the ones I have done so far had serious hills. The last one the hills were just nasty. I know nothing about this course, hoping it is fairly flat but I doubt my luck is that good. Also hoping I don't die from doing 2 just 5 days apart.
  • kaji13
    Options
    It's so awesome that so many people are doing 5k's this week! Good luck to you all! Make sure to come back and let us know how awesome you are :)
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about doing my own 5k in the morning, "earn" some calories for later in the day. I'm still in the middle of the program, going 15 minutes nonstop is the most I've done. My last measure 5K (running and walking) was 35:15. But I always go longer than the program says to, and usually end up at about 3.5 miles when I'm through (running/walking combined). Nice way to earn that turkey leg! Can wait till I can actually run the whole thing...probalby could now if I can just slow my pace down.