What should I have done ..

Options
Ok .. so at lunch I went to Jreck subs and was in line and there was a cute guy in front of me. I was kinda just checking him out a bit, his back was to me .. he turns and looks at me and does kind of a double take .. not like a hugely noticeable double take, but he looked again real quick and kinda smiled at me. I, of course, panic and look away. We are shuffling along and keeps looking at me and I keep pretending I don't notice. So then he says .. nice day huh? I can feel myself getting red and agree with him and then look at my feet. Gah. He gets his food goes over to get his drink and is like looking at me over the counter thing and smiling. I grab my food and practically hurdle the rope to get out of there.

WTF is wrong with me?? It was obvious that he was trying to make conversation with me. He was very cute and kinda rugged. Ugh. It has been a long time since I have been single and do not know how to do this!!!

Replies

• SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    As much as I would like to say I would have handled that soooo much differently, I probably wouldn't have :( LOL
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    You start practicing. Smile, make conversation at every opportunity and have a little flirty fun...with everyone..not just the cute ones. This will help you get used to it again. Enjoy it. You have nothing to feel panicked or embarassed about. Attention is a great thing. Assume everyone is admiring you and/or interested in talking to you if that gives you confidence.
    It really is just a mental game you play with yourself.. at least to start.

Oh.. I wish you could attend my master class on small talk and flirting! LOL :flowerforyou:
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I think you have 1 or 2 drinks in you at all times when in public. I hear alcohol helps one relax and lowers inhibitions.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options

Oh.. I wish you could attend my master class on small talk and flirting! LOL :flowerforyou:

Me too!! I wanna join :bigsmile:

Jen, I didnt exactly the same thing when a guy approached me recently. I have no words of wisdom :ohwell:
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    You start practicing. Smile, make conversation at every opportunity and have a little flirty fun...with everyone..not just the cute ones. This will help you get used to it again.

^^^This! Start slow, but flirt or just talk to anyone and everyone you come across.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    So the guy, approached you, made eye contact, made conversation, and you couldn't respond?

Just talk next time. You didn't have to do any work whatsoever!

Considering the freebies he was giving you, you probably could have said anything, even retarded things

and he would have kept it going...
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I think you have 1 or 2 drinks in you at all times when in public. I hear alcohol helps one relax and lowers inhibitions.

This is awesome advice. And I would have done the same exact thing...LOL
  • 4themoney
    4themoney Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    just start talking to random people in public on a regular basis :-)
    it gets easier.
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    So the guy, approached you, made eye contact, made conversation, and you couldn't respond?

Considering the freebies he was giving you, you probably could have said anything, even retarded things

UGH! You just made me smack my forehead. You make it sound so simple .. like .. duh, he made eye contact, started the conversation .. just say something. He said nice day huh .. and all i could think was .. oh you have such a pretty face.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    You start practicing. Smile, make conversation at every opportunity and have a little flirty fun...with everyone..not just the cute ones. This will help you get used to it again. Enjoy it. You have nothing to feel panicked or embarassed about. Attention is a great thing. Assume everyone is admiring you and/or interested in talking to you if that gives you confidence.
    It really is just a mental game you play with yourself.. at least to start.

This is spot on, and I would add... don't automatically assume that a guy starting conversation with you like that is interested. He might have thought you looked familiar, or been practicing making conversation with strangers himself because he gets nervous talking to women. Assume he's just making small talk so you won't get as nervous. If he asks for your number, then you can get nervous, but you'll be already chatting by that point.
  • Jennifer2387
    Options

This is awesome advice. And I would have done the same exact thing...LOL

After two I would have fallen and gotten tangled up in the rope instead of hurdling it!!!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    WTF is wrong with me??
    oh dear, you suffer from an acute form of nogameitis. luckily it's completely curable with time, patience and practice.

here are just a few ideas on how you could have handled the situation
    - while in line, say that you want to try something different. does he have any suggestions?
    - if you also got a drink and ended up at the drink station you could have asked him "are you following me?'
    - you could have said something like "i'm sorry that i keep staring but you look so much like an old friend of mine, what school did you go to?"
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

UGH! You just made me smack my forehead. You make it sound so simple .. like .. duh, he made eye contact, started the conversation .. just say something. He said nice day huh .. and all i could think was .. oh you have such a pretty face.

haha I feel ya, its cool. Just try and relax. The good news is, if a guy approaches you, he more than likely will be very lenient with anything you say. What I mean by that is, he has already decided he thinks you are attractive and wants to get to know you. (or he could just be being nice and talking, that is possible) There is nothing you can say (unless it is completely psych ward crazy) that will put him off, you already won.

So just next time, relax and talk, he probably, if he already initiated convo, will ask for a number or something.

Relax, and just talk. Don't stress about the content of what you are saying, because honestly he probably isn't really paying attention.
  • Jennifer2387
    Options
    WTF is wrong with me??
    oh dear, you suffer from an acute form of nogameitis. luckily it's completely curable with time, patience and practice.

here are just a few ideas on how you could have handled the situation
    - while in line, say that you want to try something different. does he have any suggestions?
    - if you also got a drink and ended up at the drink station you could have asked him "are you following me?'
    - you could have said something like "i'm sorry that i keep staring but you look so much like an old friend of mine, what school did you go to?"

What did you just call me?? lol

Stupid thing is .. I got a drink but forgot to get it because I am a giant dork.

Ok .. so I need to practice. Maybe he will be there tomorrow. I will start stalking Jreck subs now. lol. I kid. Kinda.. ha!

Is that what you all do? Just randomly talk to people .. or are you just telling me to do this so I look like a giant dorkapotomus??
  • disneywm76
    disneywm76 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    You start practicing. Smile, make conversation at every opportunity and have a little flirty fun...with everyone..not just the cute ones. This will help you get used to it again.

^^^This! Start slow, but flirt or just talk to anyone and everyone you come across.

I agree with the above. I've recently started just talking to more people when I'm out and about and because there is no pressue it gets easier every time. I used to be so shy that I wouldn't even make eye contact with people!! But, I've been trying to make the effort to open up and be more social with random people. It's definitely a confidence booster when people will start conversations with me these days and I'm not so nervous/shy as I was before. It'll get better. :flowerforyou:
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    this has been interesting reading today. Because I had a similar situation and I blushed and looked away. *sigh*
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options

haha I feel ya, its cool. Just try and relax. The good news is, if a guy approaches you, he more than likely will be very lenient with anything you say. What I mean by that is, he has already decided he thinks you are attractive and wants to get to know you. (or he could just be being nice and talking, that is possible) There is nothing you can say (unless it is completely psych ward crazy) that will put him off, you already won.

So just next time, relax and talk, he probably, if he already initiated convo, will ask for a number or something.

Relax, and just talk. Don't stress about the content of what you are saying, because honestly he probably isn't really paying attention.

Since all the good advice has been taken, all that's left is for me to be silly.

Next time, show yer bewbs!
  • disneywm76
    disneywm76 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Since all the good advice has been taken, all that's left is for me to be silly.

Next time, show yer bewbs!
    [/quote]

I got a good laugh from this one, Kits. Thanks! :laugh:
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    a guy friend gave me the advice to just start making eye contact, and chatting people up...didn't have to be someone I was interested in....just people to get used to talking. So that day I was at the grocery store and tried it....was chatty with a guy I had NO interest in, and was just a basic conversation, but was way easier than I thought.

Though I would probably have reacted the same way you did in your situation :tongue:
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Was it because he was cute? Can you normally talk to strangers?