November Challenge - Me vs. The Binge

Options

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    This is random but I've always wondered :

Does anyone else get sort of sleepy after a large binge? Or a day of binge eating?

I feel more drowsy and sometimes go to sleep at 4-5PM and nap a couple hours. Then, at least when I wake up my stomach doesn't feel as full/stuffed.

I usually don't take naps often, but it seems to happen on days that I binge.

(haven't binged today, I'm still winning)
    I don't necessarily feel sleepy after a binge; I feel lethargic, lazy, and a little depressed for allowing myself to eat that way. I usually lay down the rest of the day because I feel terrible after a binge. Sometimes I fall asleep and sometimes I don't, but after eating too much, I don't want to do anything because I'm so bloated and yucky feeling. My stomach doesn't feel better for a day or two after a binge.
    I agree with Steph, I am not drowsy just stuffed and too full to move so I can't get moving from stuffing myself. Very seldom to I get in the mood for exercise like some do to make up for binge.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Me--15
    BingeMonster--0

I lost my fitbit pedometer on my walk/run this morning. This is a potential binge-inducer for me. I've gotten just about as obsessed counting my steps as counting my calories. Plus, I'm going out to dinner tonight. BingeMonster, I'm not going to let you get inside my head! I can walk and exercise without the fitbit, I can still log my activity, and I WILL stay on my food plan, even with a restaurant involved!!
    Oh Wilma I can so relate to you with losing your fitbit whatever that is. I feel terriable when I don't have my HRM on and exercising. I even turn it on in they stores if I happen to have it on. I will exericise without it but I really feel like a lost soul without it. Today at the gym I forced myself to turn it off to do my strenght training exercises. Think positive thoughts about tonight at the resturant.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    R, Nov. 15

beatrix: 7
    The Binge: 8
    Good job Beatix on checking in :) You are almost tied.:wink: You can do it!:flowerforyou:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone!!:flowerforyou:

Are you ready for the weekend!! I am so ready!!! TGIF!!!:bigsmile: But worried too. When I am not busy on weekends it is not a good thing. I like to keep busy. The busier the better. So this weekend I have plenty to do around the house so that is what I am going to do to stay busy busy busy. I may even try to hit the gym one of the days too.

Have a wonderful weekend and let's do our best to win over the weekend. For me a win is 2 out of 3 since I count Friday as weekend since the evening jumps my weekend off and Friday is a hard one for me whether busy or not.

Success is NEVER giving up!!:flowerforyou:
  • greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    So I gave into cravings yesterday and it turned into a horrible binge, after I fooled myself into believing I can control it. I feel so depressed and I'm trying not to get down on myself but it's hard. Beating myself up never helps. My clothes feel tighter and I feel very uncomfortable.

Me - 8
    The Binge - 7 (11/2, 11/5, 11/7, 11/9, 11/10, 11/12, 11/15)
    Logged everything every day this month.

Today is a new day and I can't give up (I feel like I say that A LOT). I have a party tonight where there will be tons of food but I'm not going to let it turn into an all-night eating fest. I'm not. I'm not. I'm not!!
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Okay.... I have to change my stats.

Me: 13

The Binge: 3 (11/1, 11/2, 11/16)

I don't know what happened, I think the more I was tempted, the more I had thoughts that were trying to rationalize why I should binge, I just fell under the urge and binged. I did eye the calories, and I pretty much know how much I ate as of now... So unhealthy, though....pop tarts, left overs, a few other things... a lot... so much sugar, sodium, & fat. If I don't get rid of this binge eating habit, I am going to die early from some disease - heart trouble, cancer, health issues, :(

I don't feel normal. No one I know of at my age has BED. Sorry for being negative. I don't even know how to explain to my 19 year old BF that I struggle with binges, I'm ashamed of it. I know he won't call me a cow or anything, but what would he think if he found out I inhale food at random times?

Ways I could have prevented this: exercising in the morning, on days I exercise it's easier to stay away from binge eating.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    November 2012

Diane: 11
    The Binge: 4
  • stephs0214
    stephs0214 Posts: 269 Member
    Options

I don't know what happened, I think the more I was tempted, the more I had thoughts that were trying to rationalize why I should binge, I just fell under the urge and binged. I did eye the calories, and I pretty much know how much I ate as of now... So unhealthy, though....pop tarts, left overs, a few other things... a lot... so much sugar, sodium, & fat. If I don't get rid of this binge eating habit, I am going to die early from some disease - heart trouble, cancer, health issues, :(

I don't feel normal. No one I know of at my age has BED. Sorry for being negative. I don't even know how to explain to my 19 year old BF that I struggle with binges, I'm ashamed of it. I know he won't call me a cow or anything, but what would he think if he found out I inhale food at random times?

Ways I could have prevented this: exercising in the morning, on days I exercise it's easier to stay away from binge eating.
    Your day is not over....ok, so you had you had too much to eat. Now stop it in its track and continue your day without being so negative on yourself. We are all humans; we fail at times, but we CAN and WILL get back on track. Maybe the rest of the day eat healthier and make yourself do a little workout.

Like you said in one of your posts: Remember how you feel after a binge..........sluggish, tired, negative, etc. and keep that in mind for the rest of the day and everyday after. Believe me, I know it's easier said than done, but I'm going to try this tactic for the rest of the weekend and hopefully the rest of the month. And remember your quote: "IF HUNGER IS NOT THE PROBLEM, Then food is NOT the solution."

Hope this helps!
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options

Your day is not over....ok, so you had you had too much to eat. Now stop it in its track and continue your day without being so negative on yourself. We are all humans; we fail at times, but we CAN and WILL get back on track. Maybe the rest of the day eat healthier and make yourself do a little workout.

Like you said in one of your posts: Remember how you feel after a binge..........sluggish, tired, negative, etc. and keep that in mind for the rest of the day and everyday after. Believe me, I know it's easier said than done, but I'm going to try this tactic for the rest of the weekend and hopefully the rest of the month. And remember your quote: "IF HUNGER IS NOT THE PROBLEM, Then food is NOT the solution."

Hope this helps!

Thank you.
  • amelialang2
    Options
    ive just joined!! this is a great idea...how can i start posting? as from today?? :) considering my last binge was 2 days ago...i feel ready to admit i have to change and could really do with the support :) i was good yesterday and so i want to count that as i am proud!

Started: Nov 15th

Me: 1
    The Binge: 0

:)
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options
    ive just joined!! this is a great idea...how can i start posting? as from today?? :) considering my last binge was 2 days ago...i feel ready to admit i have to change and could really do with the support :) i was good yesterday and so i want to count that as i am proud!

Started: Nov 15th

Me: 1
    The Binge: 0

:)

You can start any day! Welcome to the group. =)
  • berumotto
    Options
    Me: 8
    Binge: 8

Neck to neck! :D
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    F, Nov. 16

beatrix: 8
    The Binge: 8
    Good job Beatix on checking in :) You are almost tied.:wink: You can do it!:flowerforyou:

Thanks, Mollie. I've have been trying to check in more frequently this month. Thanks for noticing!

All tied up now. :)
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    ...Ways I could have prevented this: exercising in the morning, on days I exercise it's easier to stay away from binge eating.

You know, I think that's an excellent question to ask yourself: "How could I have prevented this binge?"

I've been focusing on trying to identify why I have binged and what triggered a particular episode, which has really helped me recognize patterns. (What I have realized lately is that I usually have one trigger; the same one gets me all the time. :smile:)

But now that I know my trigger(s), I might ought to focus on active prevention, too. (As you can see, I'm a baby-step kinda girl, lol). So, I'll try to anticipate the interactions that stir up emotions, and then think of some specifics to deal with those emotions without binging.

I can see how exercising in the morning is a good preventative. If I start the day on a positive note, doing what will help me feel good and healthy, I bet I'm less likely to want to interrupt that good roll with a binge. I'll be sure to see if that's the case in the coming week.

Thanks for the idea. :)
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    As of November 1, 2012:

Mollie - 10
    The Binge - 6 (1, 2,4, 6, 10, 11)

Did not log it all - 3 (Less than 6 days)
  • wilmawm
    wilmawm Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Me--16
    Binge--0

I made it through the day yesterday binge-free in spite of being unable to accurately count my steps OR calories; yay! The Binge tried to get in - there was an open bag of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups in the kitchen at work; my friend wanted to share her dessert at dinner; there were all sorts of foods waiting for me to indulge in when I got home.
    He's still in his cage and the lock is strong at the moment. Thanks everybody; this thread has really helped me stay aware. I don't believe I would have been binge free for the last16 days if I hadn't been posting and reading here.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Awesome Wilma!!! Glad the thread is helping you.
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options
    Me--16
    Binge--0

I made it through the day yesterday binge-free in spite of being unable to accurately count my steps OR calories; yay! The Binge tried to get in - there was an open bag of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups in the kitchen at work; my friend wanted to share her dessert at dinner; there were all sorts of foods waiting for me to indulge in when I got home.
    He's still in his cage and the lock is strong at the moment. Thanks everybody; this thread has really helped me stay aware. I don't believe I would have been binge free for the last16 days if I hadn't been posting and reading here.

YAY!!
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options
    Woke up hungry; probably from all the carbs yesterday. My blood sugar probably spiked high, and crashed. Considering I had twinkies late last night -- grr, couldn't seem to stop eating food ! I let the binge defeat my entire day, and I didn't even care that much... I wanted to stuff myself.

Anyhow... this morning I had a bit of a large breakfast, it was two tortillas, a banana, and two table spoons of peanut butter. over 500 calories, but I'm not hungry now. I wasn't even going to try and have a light meal, I know I would have gotten upset and over ate then...

I saw this on an article:

I have found in times of great change, resistance is commonplace. You see, there is a part of our brains that services the specific duty of keeping us safe. This is our subconscious. Without it, we would be unable to survive. It sounds kind of obvious, but if you don’t feel safe, it’s going to be very difficult to create change; it’s a survival need. In my case, my logical mind was ready to live in a barn in the woods, while my subconscious mind was screaming to stay here – for here is known, here is safe. Similarly, you can you can see how the subconscious mind sabotages your efforts to stop emotional eating. While you’re logical mind is finally ready to drop the weight and stop binging, your subconscious mind has a deeply ingrained belief that food equals safety. Until you are able to feel safe in the world without using food to ground yourself, the conflict of interest between the logical and subconscious will prevail.

Source: http://katestefans.com/falling-from-grace/

...November 17th, 2012.

Me: 14

• eschorre
    eschorre Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Elizabeth-13
    Binge-3

There is a lot of great info on this thread!!!! I am going to spend some time reading it through and reflecting a lot!!! Thanks!