Introductions

Options

Replies

• sybille2
    sybille2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Sue,
    Do you live in Burlington or in Ottawa? I am in Burlington and possibly looking for a running partner as running with my husband is just not going to happen! I have run the Chilly Half twice - have you run it before?
    Sybille
  • sybille2
    sybille2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My name is Sybille and I live in Burlington, ON. I have joined this group as well as the 40+ group in hopes of getting re-motivated and re-energized. I have run the full spectrum of 5ks to full marathons and have also recently taken up some trail running. I am howver, too heavy for this not to be a struggle as I get older. I am looking to drop 30-40 lbs. and get back to a leaner me in order that the running comes a little easier and I am lighter on my feet. The whole age thing sucks - cannot believe how hard it is to get weight off!! I am also interested if anyone is in Burlington looking for a training partner - I was training for a full marathon that was 2 weeks ago buthad my appendix out. I am currently training for a 10-miler on Boxing Day, the Around the Bay 30k in March and a 25k Trail run in April.
  • BigJayUK
    BigJayUK Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My name is Jay and I live in Leeds, England.
    Two months ago I return back to running after a long lay off due to injury.
    I have been able to reduce my best mile from 10minutes to 8.30 within this time.
    My 5k time is 28 minutes and I completed by first 10k at the weekend in a time of 1 hour and 7 seconds.

Will be entering competitions next year, now that I have got the running bug back,
  • runmybunsoff
    runmybunsoff Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am from Annapolis, Maryland and absolutely love running. I started in February of this year and am able to run 10k and want to keep running longer distances. I can't get enough! Hoping to make some more friends here!
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Becky from Richmond, VA. I've run almost my whole life with the exception of an 8 year break when I left the army (call it a rebellion). I prefer trail and mud runs, but would like to conquer a marathon at some point. That was supposed to be 2 weeks ago, however a knee injury has me sidelined at the moment. I'm waiting on the final verdict (and possible surgery) from ortho and then hope to be back out there on the road again!! :)
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner since early this year and am enjoying the process of learning how to improve my performance. I've run a couple half-marathons and am signed up ready for my next in spring.

I'm very keen to share support and learn from those with more experience, so please send me an invite if this aligns with your goals.
  • XopherReed
    XopherReed Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone! I'd repeat my name for those that can't glance a little to the left of this post, but that's a colossal waste of time, just like how I spent the last 2 minutes looking up how to spell colossal. Sheesh, anyways apologies are in order as I'm a bit scatterbrained thanks to working graveshift....but a quick introduction.

Started running in winter of 2011, ran all through this year, did a half-marathon, marathon, Spartan Race, Tough Mudder, and I also took one of the toughest legs during Ragnar. Needless to say I'm hooked on running and am currently running anywhere from 20 - 30 miles a week while trying to maintain being a good dad, dedicated husband, and all around good guy.
  • kelly_anne_kelly
    Options
    Hey there- I'm Kelly. My goal is to get fit, slim down, and run a half-marathon before my wedding in May 2013. I recently ran a 5k and really enjoyed it. I am planning on running a half-marathon in late February. I need to get a little more serious with a training regimen. I'm excited!
  • Suz_w8loss
    Suz_w8loss Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Love running !! Ran my first half last month & have run every distance except a full marathon. I plan on running a couple more half's next year & maybe *gulp* signing up for a full.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Been with the group about a week or so but missed the intro thread. :) I'm Mark, 55 and live in the Chicagoland area. I both run and race walk depending upon my mood and my next race. I do maybe 10 races or so a year. I've done 11 marathons and maybe 25-30 halves and untold other distances. Someday I hope I get it all figured out. :)
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hey All,

Im ryan, 24 yr old father of two (7 and 3) and husband for 7 yrs. In January 2012 I reached 225 lbs (after only a year removed from the marine corps) and decided to do something about it. I bought a bowflex and stuck to 1000 calories a day. a few months later started running and on Nov 4th I finished my first marathon (4:41:41). On thanksgiving I finished a half in 1:52:30 (my goal was 2 hrs). Today I am 149 lbs, 10 % body fat and looking to drop about 5 to 10 more to reach 6-8% body fat. Love running!
  • LDC1969
    LDC1969 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

My name is Larry I am 43 years old from Altoona, IA right outside of Des Moines. I have been married for 25 years and have 6 wonderful kids (4 daughters and 2 sons). I have run or tried to run most of my life,but had a good revival in 2008. Since then, I have run 3 full marathons with a PR or 4:05 including a 4:30 in the NYC marathon (Awesome time, highly recommend it if you can get in). My goal this coming year is to break 4 hours and have been working on speed this year towards that goal. I love running and look forward to hearing about all the successes you have in the coming year.
  • aimeev2
    aimeev2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Aimee. I started running -- slowly! -- in the last two years and worked up to running my first Half last Spring. I loved the feeling of crossing that finish line! I'm now training for another Half coming up in May and this time I'm determined to work on my nutrition at the same time, since I know the lighter I am, the better my time will be. Nice to meet you all!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I am brand new to this forum (and new to running) so feel free to add me if you wish. I ran my first 5k in 27:23 on Dec 1st, and will be running my first 10k on Jan 1st. As of now I am planning on running my first half in March and my first full marathon in June with some shorter races along the way to work on my speed.
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Steve. Just ran my first ultra. A 50k trail run. Looking at a 50 miler in May. Friend me if you are looking for running support.

Steve
  • Runner2shed
    Runner2shed Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm Stephanie

I just did my first full Marathon (Marine Corps) this October. (Over 5 hours). I wasn't very fast but really enjoyed it. I did my first Half Marathon a year ago, and have another coming up this March.

I've realized part of my slowness is my weight, with joints etc, and have decided I can't just run to shed the lbs I have to start being better about what I'm eating.
    So I'm looking for others who love running and are attempting better PR's through the weight loss field.

Feel free to add me/message me to gain a moral support buddy!
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    HI my name is Bianca. I start my FIRST half marathon training tomorrow. My first half marathon is the Madrid Medio Maraton on April 7th and then the Madrid Rock and Roll 10K two weeks later. I have done some 5k's and 2 10k's. I haven't been running much. I stopped running so much (no more than 3 miles about 2x a week) so I can change up my routine so I hit the gym and did spinning and body pump which I love so much that it made me want to go to the gym.

I asked a question on another board, before someone directed me here, about spinning and body pump and they told me to concentrate on concetrate on getting my mileage up.

I'm nervous but looking forward to start training.
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My name is Rachel. I'm 22 and live in Florida. I'm excited to run my first 1/2 marathon at Disney World this February :) I consider myself a runner, but haven't participated in any "official" 10K, although I have no issue running 6 miles..
  • EowynRuns
    Options
    Hi!

I'm Eve. I first started running in the middle of 9th grade, and have not been able to get rid of this addiction ever since. Despite those sad periods of no running, mostly occuring in winter as I can't stand treadmills and iced sidewalks can't stand me, I always come back to it, and I always will.

While I love an occassional 5K, I seem to do better at longer distances. Endurance over speed (I do hope to learn to combine both one day). Looking forward to running my first half-marathon in May 2013!

Good luck to you all! :)
  • sahm23ladies
    sahm23ladies Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'm Andrea. I'm relatively new to running. I was never athletic in hs. I did the c25k program a couple of years back and once I was done, I quit. I started it up again this year and completed the program achieving my goal of doing the 5k in 30 mins. I told myself if I did it, I would then bump up to the 10k. I'm just on week 2 of a 6 week program for that. I have gotten to the point where I feel I NEED to run. I haven't entered any formal races... mainly do it for my own pride. But this year I want to run a half marathon. So, until then, I'll just keep plugging and chugging away.

I'm hoping, if this old body will withstand it, to just keep adding distance while maintaining an average pace.