Stage 1

Options

Replies

• lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Congrats to those finishing up!

I started Stage 1 almost 3 weeks ago, following the program 2x a week. I've gotten through both workouts twice. I performed Romanian deadlifts on 1B, then the "regular" deadlifts 2B... OUCH! I went with 70# and my hips felt it for the next 3 days!

I increased my calories by 200 from what I was eating, but, have used that as an excuse to go crazy on my intake (way more than 200 cals!). The day after lifting I am SO hungry! I've read through and seen that this is a common occurrence, but I don't know how to handle it, yet. I am NOT a clean eater, but it's something I'm working on.

I'm really enjoying NROL, and feel like a real bad*ss walking into the free weights! Can't wait to see how much stronger I will get!
  • mommyred35
    mommyred35 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Well I was half way thru the entire stage and then I stopped. I'm back now. A1 done
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Hey did any of you do alternating lunges? I felt like when I did 15 on one side I struggled more to do the 15 on the other & I'm not sure if that's because the first side weakened the second, or my strength is really imbalanced in my legs. I tend to think it's not the latter since I run a lot, but who knows?

Ideas?
  • jsextrasmooth
    jsextrasmooth Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hey did any of you do alternating lunges? I felt like when I did 15 on one side I struggled more to do the 15 on the other & I'm not sure if that's because the first side weakened the second, or my strength is really imbalanced in my legs. I tend to think it's not the latter since I run a lot, but who knows?

Ideas?

I think this is why you should always start the set with your non-dominant leg, you then work the dominant leg which won't be as fresh as you will have unavoidably used some energy on the set you've just done on your non-dominant leg. That's my take on it anyhow :)
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

Ideas?

I think this is why you should always start the set with your non-dominant leg, you then work the dominant leg which won't be as fresh as you will have unavoidably used some energy on the set you've just done on your non-dominant leg. That's my take on it anyhow :)
    You rule...I totally did this tonight & it worked out great! I didn't realize I always start on the same leg so I made a point to start with the other this time & that made all the difference. Thanks so much!!!
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Stage 1 A
    Squat 40---80
    Push up 3 to floor then 12 negative, know 8 to the floor
    Seated Row 30---95
    Step up 2 risers 20 pounds---5 risers 50 pounds
    Prone jacknife8--15 sometimes I did 20
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I'm starting the program over today. I ended slacking off for a couple months and only got the stage 3 so I decided to go back to the beginning. Hopefully I can stay motivated this time around!
  • healthinside
    healthinside Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Started Stage 1 yesterday.

My only problem was, that my gym doesn't have gymnstic balls, so I replaced the prone jackknife with v-ups. And the seated cable-row was occupied the whole time, so i decided to do a bent over one arm dumbbell row instead.

Squats: just bar for warm-up, 10 kg + bar , 2 sets with 20 kg + bar
    one arm row: 10kg
    push-up: 30° angle
    step up: 6 kg per dumbbell on a big step (the only step i could find was the bench itself)
    v-ups: 2 sets of 15

Do you think these modifications are ok?
  • alexapin
    alexapin Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Firt of all congrats to all of you for your progress. I'm really liking this program.

Just have one question

Do you have 60 seconds break between all excercises in the routine? I mean, for example in workout 1A. You start with 15 squats, then you rest 60 seconds, then you again do 15 squats, then you rest 60 seconds, then you do 15 push ups, rest 60 seconds.... etc, or you rest 60 seconds between repetitions of the same excercise (for example excerise A), but when you are finished with it and starting the next one, for example excercise B, you take more time??

I'm asking this cause sometimes I take more time in setting the elements for the next excercise, and end taking bigger breaks between different excercises.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Firt of all congrats to all of you for your progress. I'm really liking this program.

Just have one question

Do you have 60 seconds break between all excercises in the routine? I mean, for example in workout 1A. You start with 15 squats, then you rest 60 seconds, then you again do 15 squats, then you rest 60 seconds, then you do 15 push ups, rest 60 seconds.... etc, or you rest 60 seconds between repetitions of the same excercise (for example excerise A), but when you are finished with it and starting the next one, for example excercise B, you take more time??

I'm asking this cause sometimes I take more time in setting the elements for the next excercise, and end taking bigger breaks between different excercises.

I took it to mean 60 seconds between all but I know that when I tear down the bar after squats and move on to push-ups the break is longer than 60 seconds. closer to 90.

I am posting my stage one ending stats here too, I put them in the daily thread above as well, but feel they also belong here for anyone only reading in the stage one thread. :wink:

*drumroll* just kidding...I know I am not the first one to ever finish stage one and there are probably some better stats out there but I am excited that I completed stage one and also thrilled with my ending weights in most of the categories.

workout A
    Squats- starting 39--ending 100
    Pushups-knees for all sets--toes for all sets
    seated row-starting 55--ending 85
    Step-ups-starting 20lbs/4 risers--ending 40 on bench
    prone jackknife-starting barely struggling through the 8--ending with pretty decent 15

workout B
    Deadlift- starting 45(just the oly bar)--ending 95
    dumbbell shoulder press- starting 20--ending 36
    wide grip lat pulldown- starting 55- ending 80
    lunge- starting 16--ending 36
    swiss ball crunch- starting body weight--ending 12lb ball

I can say that when I began stage one I HATED lunges with a passion and my legs would burn and feel like jelly but today I lost count and found myself easily doing more than the set called for. I still have to do my AMRAPS on Friday. I will weigh in then and will measure either then and take some pictures too. the prone jackknifes are still not a fave of mine BUT I finally figured out that doing them with a smaller ball helps so they got a little easier by the end of this stage. Now to read up on stage two and get myself acquainted with those exercises.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Started Stage 1 yesterday.

My only problem was, that my gym doesn't have gymnstic balls, so I replaced the prone jackknife with v-ups. And the seated cable-row was occupied the whole time, so i decided to do a bent over one arm dumbbell row instead.

Squats: just bar for warm-up, 10 kg + bar , 2 sets with 20 kg + bar
    one arm row: 10kg
    push-up: 30° angle
    step up: 6 kg per dumbbell on a big step (the only step i could find was the bench itself)
    v-ups: 2 sets of 15

Do you think these modifications are ok?

Only you can answer the question. Did you feel challenged, are they the suggested replacements for non machine workouts? I did Stage 1 at home and didn't have the machine for seated rows. I did bentover barbell rows, which was one of the moves described as an at home replacement for the seated row.

Not sure what a v-up is but you could do any sort of "crunch exercise I would guess to replace the swissball crunch.

Good luck!!

G! Nice increases!!! Have fun with Stage 2
  • healthinside
    healthinside Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Did workout B today! And I love it!

Deadlift- warm up with bar, 2 sets with +5kg
    dumbbell shoulder press- 2 sets with 5 kg each
    wide grip lat pulldown- 2 sets with 30 kg
    lunge- 2 sets 6 kg each
    swiss ball crunch- replaced by bicycle crunches

Any other starters round here?
  • lik_11
    Options
    Tonight I'm doing workout 5A of stage 1. I thought I was challenging myself- then had a trainer go through some reps with me. He kept loading on the weights- where I was doing 70# squats feeling good about myself, he got me to do 95# squats. I guess I'm stronger than I think???
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Tonight I'm doing workout 5A of stage 1. I thought I was challenging myself- then had a trainer go through some reps with me. He kept loading on the weights- where I was doing 70# squats feeling good about myself, he got me to do 95# squats. I guess I'm stronger than I think???

That is awesome! I will do 3B on Saturday and I'm wondering the same thing about my weights. I wonder if I'm not pushing myself as hard as I could/should. I'm healing from a quad injury, so I only went up 5# on squats to total 75lbs. When I finished my second set, I felt like I could have done a few more. I know I can handle more weight now! I was nursing my leg a little last time, so I'm all in next lifting day. Thanks for this post!!
  • lik_11
    Options
    @jfankic
    Although I'm not babying any injuries- I would definitely suggest listening to your body. But- go for it!!!

On the first few workouts, I thought I was kicking booty, I was working through all the reps. The trainer really reminded/showed me I need to be pushing HARD to finish the last couple of reps.... not just breathing hard. I wasn't kickin' booty, so I got mine kicked working with him! haha. My glutes have been sore since Monday. I did 5A tonight- squatted 65, then 85, finishing at 95 again... barely. Know I'm gonna be feeling this one tomorrow, because I really struggled to get up the last 2-3 reps- especially on the third set.

Most importantly- trainer also taught me how to get out from under the weights if I can't finish a set! He reminded me that my body is irreplaceable and much easier to injure than the weights.
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    so, i just started... did workout A yesterday, planning on doing B tomorrow.
    quick question- is there an alternative to the prone jackknife? just trying to get into the starting position yesterday i fell (hard) on my knees once and on my face/boobs twice. i feel like it's just not meant to be!
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    @jfankic
    Although I'm not babying any injuries- I would definitely suggest listening to your body. But- go for it!!!

On the first few workouts, I thought I was kicking booty, I was working through all the reps. The trainer really reminded/showed me I need to be pushing HARD to finish the last couple of reps.... not just breathing hard. I wasn't kickin' booty, so I got mine kicked working with him! haha. My glutes have been sore since Monday. I did 5A tonight- squatted 65, then 85, finishing at 95 again... barely. Know I'm gonna be feeling this one tomorrow, because I really struggled to get up the last 2-3 reps- especially on the third set.

Most importantly- trainer also taught me how to get out from under the weights if I can't finish a set! He reminded me that my body is irreplaceable and much easier to injure than the weights.

Thanks for this! I squatted 90# yesterday and am pretty excited about it! I started 8x50# bar for warmup (yes, it really is 50#), 12x70#, 12x80, then my bonus set of 8x90#. Those last two were HARD so I know it was good.
    quick question- is there an alternative to the prone jackknife? just trying to get into the starting position yesterday i fell (hard) on my knees once and on my face/boobs twice. i feel like it's just not meant to be!

Congrats on getting started!! Try getting on the ball on your stomach and walking your hands out. Put the ball at around your knees to start. Get yourself centered under wrists and find your balance before trying to move again. Then take it slow. You can also do it next to a wall so you will fall into that if you lose your balance. Keep trying. It's a great move for the core and you'll feel awesome when you can crank out a full set!
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    just finished workout A2 today and glad to have found this group!
  • jrnapo
    Options
    hi all-

i've been pretty quiet around here but figured i'd post my stats for stage 1 (just finished this morning!)

A:

Squat: 45 (just bar, almost fell over) ---> 65lbs
    Row: 50 ---> 85
    Pushup: still incline, but a few notches lower on the smith machine
    Dumbbell step up: 15lb dumbbells on 18" step ---> 20 lb dumbbells on 24" step (the height makes much more of a difference than weight!!)

B:

Deadlift: 45 (just bar) ---> 75lbs
    Lat pulldown: 50 lbs --> 80
    Dumbbell shoulder press: 12.5 ---> 20
    Lunges: 12.5 dumbbells ---> 40 lb barbell

i absolutely LOVE squats and deadlifts now. instead of just watching my bf do them in amazement, i get to do them in the rack next to him, and he's such a great help! i'm excited to hit triple digits. i feel like this program has finally given me purpose in the gym which is probably what i love most about it. i'm also proud of my shoulder press. i could once barely do 7 lb weights. now i'm up to 20, and i can see shoulder muscles! i loved this stage, but excited to move on. though i'm not looking forward to the HIIT haha...

keep at it gals!
  • lik_11
    Options
    @jrnapo- Great work!!!!

I love feeling the "purpose" in the gym, as well. Walking into the free weights makes me feel like such a badass.
    Can't wait to finish Stage 1!