Make it work for YOU. It's your life. You have time.

Options
13»

Replies

• 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    This was my icing today!

Seriously. I'm an all or nothing girl....and I burn out/get bored or frustrated because I've become programmed to wanting things to come quickly.

I have thrown around the words of lifestyle changes, and habits etc. but I don't think I truly reflected on what all of that meant.

I have been doing really well separating food from feeling, and making sure that I pause to find the positive in the non-food related moments in my life. The glow of the Christmas tree, the smell of my kids' hair after bath time. Sitting with my feet on my hubby's lap just enjoying being near each other without having to "do" anything.

I read and reread so many of the EM2WL pinned topics yesterday, and decided today I would up my cals, slowly. I am continuing on with my 30DS program, but not adding in anything new on top of it right now.

I want to focus on being healthier, being fit, being strong and I have confidence in myself that I will make it happen one day at a time.

Thank you again!

Congrats on your decision to increase cals! I know it can be scary, but it's a worthy journey. :flowerforyou:

I love what you said about being in the moment. I've had to learn to do that as well. Sometimes I just have to stop myself, look around, and say..."THIS is a moment I will enjoy and remember"

Always seems like the "good 'ol days" are never "good" until they're "old"...this should not be so...:ohwell:

Time to enjoy life, now. ;)

~Kiki
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    Yes!!!! Couldnt agree more. I was feeling so overwhelmed by everything all at once, feeling like I needed to be perfect on everything. And all it was really doing is creating this all or nothing mentality. This is my biggest challenge to overcome in my weight loss journey, that just because I botched one area, that doesnt mean I have utterly failed and its time to throw in the towel and find a pint of Ben and Jerrys. Unfortunately thats the way my distorted mind goes. I was finding myself being more and more nitpicky with my myself, which was actually getting me further away from my cutting goals, and I was bingeing more. Eek. So you know what? I told myself to work on ONE thing, and for me right now my biggest challenge is bingeing. The numbers game was driving me crazy. Now I know there are many who would disagree with this, but I told myself I am going to deal with this binge issue once and for all. So I decided my only goal was to get as close to my cut value as possible but my biggest goal was NO BINGES. I wasnt gonna stress about macros, weighing every gram of spinach, wearing my BMF, etc. Just no bingeing. I can get very obsessive with the numbers very fast, so Im really just guesstimating portion sizes right now. I know I'll get back to being stricter but thats the road I'm walking right now. One thing at a time. Love it.

Great job on the weight loss!
  • AmyzNewGroove
    AmyzNewGroove Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Bumping. TRUTH. (Spoken by a true "I can do it all" addict. :bigsmile: )
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Some interesting stats at the end to back up small steps at a time.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-jade-teta/making-change_b_2371829.html
  • luvdogz
    luvdogz Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Love this! I totally needed to hear this to start the New Year. I have always been an all or nothing person, and I think that is why I have been overweight my whole adult life. I give up way too fast, and am way to hard on myself. I am printing this out to remind me on my difficult days. Thank you!
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Great advice, I've definitely found this to be true.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    This was me last year Kiki. Recap of last year - Continue running a full-time home daycare in which I attempt to keep up with very young children five days a week in addition to my own two little ones, start working out and logging food in February, start running in March, do a 5k in June, become a vegetarian, do a 7 mile race in July, start homeschooling my kindergartner and his daycare friend in August, hubby started nursing school in August (which somehow makes me feel like I'm in school too), start taking dance classes in September, run a half marathon in September, burned out in October, attempt New Rules of Lifting for Women in November, injure my backs two weeks in, finish out the year burned out, with a bad back, and eating everything in sight.

Wow - that's the first time I've written all of that out like that! I'm such a student when it comes to EM2WL. You'd think that being a year into it I could feel like an expert by now, but I have so much to learn. I'm a perfectionist TO THE CORE and so when I do things I do them all the way. It wasn't enough for me to just start running last year. Noooo - I had to go and train for a half marathon. I don't mean to say that I regret it, but I do have the hindsight now to acknowledge that it wasn't the smartest move. There was so much personal change in my life too and constant personal stress.

So anyways, as I was saying, writing it all out like that makes me realize how insane I am...lol! Overall though, despite pushing myself too hard, I am happy with the fact that I've continued to hang in there. I've had rough months, but I kept coming back to what I know to be true - EM2WL works!

Kiki - you've really hit the nail on the head with this post. As someone else said, I should print it out and frame it. The hardest thing for me is slowing down and allowing change to sink in before plunging into the next change!
  • junebug523
    Options
    100% true. Bumping because this is the cornerstone of what becoming healthier SHOULD be about. Not about a number on the scale. Not about a certain pants size. It's about making changes that make you healthier, stronger, and happier for the rest of your life.
  • cafeconleche
    Options
    So true!!

I have been way overwhelmed with weight loss in the past because I take too much on at once. I am quite literally taking it one day at a time. Sometimes one meal at a time. I know what doesn't and hasn't worked. I want to be healthy:) step by step is my mantra now.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Bumping for newbies :smooched: (as I still get questions from those struggling with this topic daily) :flowerforyou:

~Kiki
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Just saw this for the first time - thanks for bumping AND for the wise words.
    Something we all need to be reminded of. I am definitely not a patient person but am learning, after losing 30kg in a not so great way, to slow down and trust that my body will understand the process better than my mind.

The EM2WL team is really amazing. So many inspiring words on top of the clearest, simplest and most logical concept I've come across in a long time. I LOVE that I am enjoying eating more food, and I just wish more people would jump on board!! :love:
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Love your ramble, so wise! I think I've been successful so far cause I have focussed on small changes that become habits, while keeping the big picture in sight. I've had to learn patience with my body, and with myself. I've had to plan ahead, but also be flexible.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Good way to start a Friday!!! Thanks KiKi!!!!!