Stuff no one tells you...

Options

Replies

• bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Here's a random question for you guys: do you use prescription prenatal vitamins or over the counter? Is there really any difference (besides the price tag)?

I take an OTC one. It works just fine and is nutritionally similar to the prescription ones.
    I think that the main difference between prescription and OTC prenatals are the amount of iron they contain. (Someone correct me if that is wrong.)
    I prefer food-based vitamins over synthetic vitamins. The more pregnancies you have, the more your nutrient stores become depleted. Good food-based vitamins, as opposed to cheap synthetic vitamins, can make a difference. Food-based vitamins are better able to be absorbed and used by your body. I personally can tell a difference in my energy levels between one and the other, so I go to the HFS and shell out the $$. Same with iron--after pregnancy #3, I became anemic with each pregnancy, and NORA infusions (nettle/oatstraw/red raspberry leaf/alfalfa) are much easier on my body than the iron pills I used to get from the pharmacy. Floradix, Hemaplex, or chlorophyll also have less harsh side effects than iron pills.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Here's a random question for you guys: do you use prescription prenatal vitamins or over the counter? Is there really any difference (besides the price tag)?

I take an OTC one. It works just fine and is nutritionally similar to the prescription ones.
    I think that the main difference between prescription and OTC prenatals are the amount of iron they contain. (Someone correct me if that is wrong.)
    I prefer food-based vitamins over synthetic vitamins. The more pregnancies you have, the more your nutrient stores become depleted. Good food-based vitamins, as opposed to cheap synthetic vitamins, can make a difference. Food-based vitamins are better able to be absorbed and used by your body. I personally can tell a difference in my energy levels between one and the other, so I go to the HFS and shell out the $$. Same with iron--after pregnancy #3, I became anemic with each pregnancy, and NORA infusions (nettle/oatstraw/red raspberry leaf/alfalfa) are much easier on my body than the iron pills I used to get from the pharmacy. Floradix, Hemaplex, or chlorophyll also have less harsh side effects than iron pills.

My OTC prenatals have a little iron in them but not enough. I try to supplement with food to reach my limits on a daily basis, but it's difficult.

I've heard about iron levels dropping with subsequent pregnancies too.

Where do you get your iron supplements?
  • bushidowoman
    Options
    I order dried herbs online that I make into infusions to drink over a day. Or, if I find it difficult to drink herbal infusions (like right now, I have such a problem with nausea and lack of appetite), I'll get vitamins and iron supplements from a health food store. Rainbow Light food-based prenatals are what I've used for the past couple pregnancies. Along with Floradix or Hemaplex.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I order dried herbs online that I make into infusions to drink over a day. Or, if I find it difficult to drink herbal infusions (like right now, I have such a problem with nausea and lack of appetite), I'll get vitamins and iron supplements from a health food store. Rainbow Light food-based prenatals are what I've used for the past couple pregnancies. Along with Floradix or Hemaplex.

Thanks! I'll look into them. I'm worried that I don't get enough iron anyway. I don't have anemia, but I just have a hard time hitting my iron goals every day.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    She got my hubby on board at keeping me off my feet by telling him that there was really no reason why we couldn't resume marital relations a couple days after the bleeding had completely stopped, providing I was up to such a thing (as opposed to the six weeks he was used to hearing from the OBs). She also told him that after two weeks of rest, I would probably have more energy and less blues.
    So yeah, she was right on all counts. And we were "back in business" by about 3 weeks. :tongue:

Oh dear, I couldn't imagine being back in business that early! I have my 6 week PP appointment next week and while things don't hurt anymore, I'm not exactly eager to get back into the swing of things! I can tell DH is getting anxious, but I told him even if the doctor says it's okay to get busy, he's not to expect any action until I feel ready!
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    She got my hubby on board at keeping me off my feet by telling him that there was really no reason why we couldn't resume marital relations a couple days after the bleeding had completely stopped, providing I was up to such a thing (as opposed to the six weeks he was used to hearing from the OBs). She also told him that after two weeks of rest, I would probably have more energy and less blues.
    So yeah, she was right on all counts. And we were "back in business" by about 3 weeks. :tongue:

Oh dear, I couldn't imagine being back in business that early! I have my 6 week PP appointment next week and while things don't hurt anymore, I'm not exactly eager to get back into the swing of things! I can tell DH is getting anxious, but I told him even if the doctor says it's okay to get busy, he's not to expect any action until I feel ready!

Lol. Let him know. :-)
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options

Seriously, do that! I wasn't ready for at least a couple of months afterwards with my first, although I was cleared 5 weeks postpartum. I simply told him I wasn't there yet, and he was ok with it. Once we were back, though, it was normal and just like before, so pretty regularly.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Since it came up on another thread...

Babies cluster-feed from time to time, which is especially hard if you are breastfeeding. They will literally want to nurse all day long with very few, very short breaks. The lactation consultant I worked with told me that she tells moms that on those days they just have to cancel whatever they have going on and plan to be on the couch or in bed all day with their baby. Cluster-feeding is matched with growth spurts, but no one told me about them. Day 2 (in the hospital) and Day 3 (at home) were cluster-feeding days for my son, and since I didn't know about it, I found it incredibly frustrating and thought I couldn't give him enough milk (or I guess colostrum at that point) because I had been nursing him for literally hours on end. In tears, I broke down and gave him formula (not the end of the world, especially since he ended up on it anyway, but I had horrible guilt), but had I known that this is just what they do sometimes, I'd have stuck it out.

Now I know, and I can expect to have to muster up some patience. Remember that it's ok to let the baby cry for a minute so you can go pee (and change your pad) or go get some water/something to eat. Food that you can eat one-handed is really helpful during these days.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options

Seriously, do that! I wasn't ready for at least a couple of months afterwards with my first, although I was cleared 5 weeks postpartum. I simply told him I wasn't there yet, and he was ok with it. Once we were back, though, it was normal and just like before, so pretty regularly.

Oh, he knows! :laugh:
  • shnoots
    shnoots Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    * No one told me that complete STRANGERS will consider it their place to comment on your birth plans. "Oh you're not having him circumcised? You're having him at home? Cloth diapers? Yeah, my sister said she was doing all of that too. She gave up, you will too."
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    * No one told me that complete STRANGERS will consider it their place to comment on your birth plans. "Oh you're not having him circumcised? You're having him at home? Cloth diapers? Yeah, my sister said she was doing all of that too. She gave up, you will too."

yes THIS. soooooo annoying! Being in the military I get wide eyes followed by "well you're in the military you probably can take natural birth, but WOW"
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

Babies cluster-feed from time to time, which is especially hard if you are breastfeeding. They will literally want to nurse all day long with very few, very short breaks. The lactation consultant I worked with told me that she tells moms that on those days they just have to cancel whatever they have going on and plan to be on the couch or in bed all day with their baby. Cluster-feeding is matched with growth spurts, but no one told me about them. Day 2 (in the hospital) and Day 3 (at home) were cluster-feeding days for my son, and since I didn't know about it, I found it incredibly frustrating and thought I couldn't give him enough milk (or I guess colostrum at that point) because I had been nursing him for literally hours on end. In tears, I broke down and gave him formula (not the end of the world, especially since he ended up on it anyway, but I had horrible guilt), but had I known that this is just what they do sometimes, I'd have stuck it out.

Now I know, and I can expect to have to muster up some patience. Remember that it's ok to let the baby cry for a minute so you can go pee (and change your pad) or go get some water/something to eat. Food that you can eat one-handed is really helpful during these days.

Before my husband went to work in the mornings, he would make peanut butter sandwiches, cut in half and in little bags and put them in the places I would tend to be around the house and in the stroller along with a piece of fruit, graham crackers and water. That way, no matter how long I was stuck in one spot, there was some food I could easily grab when the baby wouldn't stop nursing. I don't think I would have had any food during the day if we didn't do that.
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Options

yes THIS. soooooo annoying! Being in the military I get wide eyes followed by "well you're in the military you probably can take natural birth, but WOW"

Lol. "Well, you're in the military..." That's a hilarious response.
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Options

Before my husband went to work in the mornings, he would make peanut butter sandwiches, cut in half and in little bags and put them in the places I would tend to be around the house and in the stroller along with a piece of fruit, graham crackers and water. That way, no matter how long I was stuck in one spot, there was some food I could easily grab when the baby wouldn't stop nursing. I don't think I would have had any food during the day if we didn't do that.

Great tip, thanks! I already cannot deal with hunger. I can't imagine the hunger that comes on with nursing.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options

Oh, great tip, thanks for sharing!! This could definitely come in handy for me when hubby has to go back to work after our girl is born.
  • bushidowoman
    Options

No stitches and laying around being waited on hand and foot for two weeks makes a huge difference. :tongue:
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

No stitches and laying around being waited on hand and foot for two weeks makes a huge difference. :tongue:

The no stitches is the key. I had some tearing with my first, and we waited about four weeks, but after my second and third, it was just over two weeks.
  • Morgan_esque
    Morgan_esque Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Reading all your comments has only left me terrified of ever getting pregnant
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Options

Haha! This is why I never attempted to educate myself on these things BEFORE I got pregnant. I actually feel like this is stuff you have to find out AFTER in order for the human race to go on. :-)

In all seriousness, it's not that bad (she says at 39 weeks pregnant). I've had a fairly comfortable pregnancy so far. Even if all these things that were discussed on this thread were to happen to one person (and don't get me wrong, that would suck). It's still pretty temporary compared to the joy of having that little baby in your arms...
  • Morgan_esque
    Morgan_esque Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Haha! This is why I never attempted to educate myself on these things BEFORE I got pregnant. I actually feel like this is stuff you have to find out AFTER in order for the human race to go on. :-)

In all seriousness, it's not that bad (she says at 39 weeks pregnant). I've had a fairly comfortable pregnancy so far. Even if all these things that were discussed on this thread were to happen to one person (and don't get me wrong, that would suck). It's still pretty temporary compared to the joy of having that little baby in your arms...

I'm guessing its worth going through all the pain when so many women go on to have more children after the first despite all the pregnancy woes. I can only pray that when I get pregnant, it will be a smooth and happy experience .....famous last words! lol