Goal Pose for 2013

Options
yoginimary
yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
The past couple of years, I've had a goal pose. It's not something that if I don't do, it somehow that reflects badly on my practice - or anything like that. It's more of I would like to move in this direction.

The past two years it's been mayurasana (peacock pose, but not to be confused with the pincha mayurasana, elbow balance). It's considered a "guy pose" - it's easier if your weight is in your upper body and you're a little stiff, so, of course, I've always wanted to be able to do it.
http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/2495

On my way to get there, this year I'm working up to 1 minute timings in navasana/boat and chaturanga. I should also work on the elbow/wrist placement.
My teacher said I should also have a "fun" pose (one I like to work on), so this year it's Samakonasana/middle splits - which is basically working on baddha konasana and upavista konasana (two of my favorite poses).

Any goal poses for 2013 for you?

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I would like - no - I plan to be able to rise slowly into a well controlled Tripod Headstand in the middle of the room and I would like to be able to kick up into a headstand against a wall or partner without them helping my hips over my hands.

That is my promise to myself for 2013.
  • yoginimary
    Options
    I would like - no - I plan to be able to rise slowly into a well controlled Tripod Headstand in the middle of the room and I would like to be able to kick up into a headstand against a wall or partner without them helping my hips over my hands.

Two legs straight?
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Upward bow pose. I have never been able to push off the ground even a little.
  • zenmummy
    zenmummy Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I would love it if the soles of my feet would finally reach the ground while doing down dog! They are gradually moving, but are still an inch of the ground. Who knows, they may touch ground in 2013!
  • yoginimary
    Options
    I would love it if the soles of my feet would finally reach the ground while doing down dog! They are gradually moving, but are still an inch of the ground. Who knows, they may touch ground in 2013!

One of my teacher's posted a video about this today:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKIv6ykhgkI

you can subscribe to her "yoga tips" on facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Yogatips-with-Christina-Sell/386210744797436

Upward Bow (Urdhva Dhanurasana):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGNK0q8nFJc

Headstand, Handstand, and Elbow Balance are are up there as well.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options

Two legs straight?

Yes - two legs straight. What I realised this week is I am setting my tripod up with my hands too near my head so I am balancing on a narrower plane. Easily sorted and now I am much more stable.

So - how do I balance in Headstand 1? I can do H2 now, but somehow H1 is harder! That will be my new goal pose for 2013 I think.
  • yoginimary
    Options

Yes - two legs straight. What I realised this week is I am setting my tripod up with my hands too near my head so I am balancing on a narrower plane. Easily sorted and now I am much more stable.

So - how do I balance in Headstand 1? I can do H2 now, but somehow H1 is harder! That will be my new goal pose for 2013 I think.

H1 balance is harder - easier on the neck and you can stay longer though. You do H1 at the wall, yes? You'll have no problem with practice. You can do the following to learn balance - it progresses like this:
    1. take the legs off the wall one at a time - probably you already do this
    2. take the legs off the wall together
    3. move to a shins distance away from the wall, go up with bent legs and place the feet/toes on the wall, go back to stage 1 from here then 2.
    4. learn to come up with legs together bent, so you have to first find your balance with knees in, knees to the ceiling (think virasana), then straighten the legs - you probably come up this way in H2?

Of course your teacher will probably tell you something similar if headstand is taught enough. Also have your teacher check your head, elbow, wrist, and shoulder alignment - then your back, hip, and feet alignment. Notice how you hold your head - are you able to press your wrists down? Do you feel like you have a lot of power in your forearms (can you lift your head off the floor if needed)?

Open your shoulders a lot before going up. I'm guessing with your weight lifting, it's a flexibility issue, not a strength one.

That's all I can think of right now.
  • zenmummy
    zenmummy Posts: 96 Member
    Options

One of my teacher's posted a video about this today:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKIv6ykhgkI

you can subscribe to her "yoga tips" on facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Yogatips-with-Christina-Sell/386210744797436

THANKS! I will add this to my morning practice. I would be THRILLED if I hit ground zero one of these days!
  • AmyBoogie
    AmyBoogie Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I never thought about making a goal pose. My practice has been interesting. When my practice is good, I advance in leaps and when it's not...well, we all know how that is. In my practice this morning I was thinking of setting up a private lesson to help me with my shoulders. They're stiff and I have troubles making my arms do what I want. I carry stress in my shoulders and so I need some clear and good pointers on working into the fullest of a pose when shoulders are involved. I've inadvertently had private classes before and been help heaps with timing that would give my practice a boost.

So..... not to continue to be long winded.
    I think my first goal is to have a good regular practice and be able to do all of the Ashtanga primary series as deep as it's intended. Which means my shoulders need to really get in the game. I have other things I'd like to do but more flexible shoulders is really my goal right now.
  • yoginimary
    Options

So..... not to continue to be long winded.
    I think my first goal is to have a good regular practice and be able to do all of the Ashtanga primary series as deep as it's intended. Which means my shoulders need to really get in the game. I have other things I'd like to do but more flexible shoulders is really my goal right now.

I'm pretty impressed that it's just your shoulders. There's some serious hip poses in that.
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    there are so many goals... but the ones that make me really happy to accomplish are all the handstand, headstand, elbow and arm balance poses. and work on my binds.... :)

I too would love to get more into doing the Ashtanga primary series!
  • legalporter
    legalporter Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My goal pose for 2013 is Wheel. I remember doing it effortlessly as a kid!
  • yoginimary
    Options
    In class this morning, one of my students said she went to an Ashtanga class and worked on the primary series. Thanks for bringing it up, so I could take another look at it and be ready to answer questions.
  • AmyBoogie
    AmyBoogie Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty impressed that it's just your shoulders. There's some serious hip poses in that.

Hips and hamstrings could still use improvement but I can see/feel them improving. It's the shoulders that I just can't see or feel improvement in. They feel stagnant and stiff.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    To turn this..
    8CE2DCDA-2522-43A1-993F-20A2A47DC49E-6068-0000019E81303F01.jpg

Into this...
    10836855324236171_6u1WLYpa_b.jpg
  • TGKvr
    TGKvr Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hmm... I think I have a few goal poses. I'd like to do crow for more than a few seconds, and move into side crow and/or crane. I'd also like to be able to increase my splits - meaning the distance I can comfortably separate my legs. :)
    I also hope to improve the way I transition through certain poses.
  • Pamela_June
    Pamela_June Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    This group of yoga folks may be way tooooo advanced for me, but I have just gotten into yoga and I am loving every minute of yoga that I am learning and doing... I love the way it makes me feel ...

Pam:flowerforyou:
  • TGKvr
    TGKvr Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Pam! No worries, some of us are beginners here! Any goal for any pose is worthy and admirable... the point is you are continuously improving your practice, at any level. :)
  • yoginimary
    Options
    Welcome, Pam! No worries, some of us are beginners here! Any goal for any pose is worthy and admirable... the point is you are continuously improving your practice, at any level. :)

^^^this :bigsmile:
  • brittbap
    brittbap Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My goal will be to get up in forearm balance, handstand, and headstand via pressing up instead of kicking up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4YCG4k0Q6o

I also want to be able to have that light sensation and floating pause when I jump through from Downdog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4YCG4k0Q6o