Team Iris (SeptOctNovDec 2013 Brides! :)

Options
lawyerette
lawyerette Posts: 301 Member
Congrats Team Iris! You all seem to have similar ideas of why you are here – for inspiration to work steadily toward your goals. A common vision is important, so I’m looking forward to seeing how you approach the competition as a group.

In case you are interested, “[t]he iris is an astoundingly intense addition to any environment. Its deep purple and blue blossoms contain more depth of color and mystery than any other flower. As a springtime flower, the gorgeous iris has come to represent the eternal promise of renewal, rebirth, and the transformation of monotony into delight.”

Anyhow, here's your team message area. Use it to coordinate your team activities, team challenges, etc. It's your space :)

I've also included the current list of your group here as well, in case you want it for reference. Over the next week, I'll be back to edit this list as we incorporate our last few brides, so keep an eye on your list for new additions :)

Have fun ladies!

PlumCrazyGirl (Barb)
CynGetsThin (Cindy)
Jill4165 (Jill)
nowgirl2004 (Erin)
lildaug (Denise)
Erica262 (Erica)
clairecandolt (Claire)
happyfitgirl (Teresa)
cedixon0 (Colleen)
Marrigot (Melissa)
meglynne1987 (Meagan)
Jubersani (Juliana)
missvalle (Mariana)
Destanie_Robyn (Destanie)
Amyp1012 (Amy)
exquisitecadavre (Emily)
arendiva
irishgrim (Alli)
thefitcompanion (Heather)

wguezr.jpg

Replies

• Amyp1012
    Options
    So excited to get started!! :)
  • marrigot
    Options
    Happy Sunday team Iris! How is everyone doing?

I find that Sunday is one of my harder days to stay on track because I find myself eating while doing the 'get ready for the week" routine. I neglect to sit down and eat a real meal. Mindless calories sure add up when I'm not paying attention.
  • cedixon0
    Options
    I agree! But the important thing for me is to track no matter how I eat so that I am holding myself accountable. I am worried as my knee has been bothering me all weekend and I am hoping it doesn't keep me from working out this week. As of today it's 299 days to the wedding and only about two months to dress shopping. I can't have a bad knee right now! I have a new strength training class I am planning on going to tues/thurs along with cardio m/w/f. Hoping the knee holds up. Anybody else have a fitness goal for the week?
  • happyfitgirl
    happyfitgirl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Team!

My goal this week is to fix our elliptical (parts are ordered and on the way) so basically just waiting for those to be delivered! Should be this week, then I'm hoping to get 20-30 minutes in 2-3 times a week in the future. My current goal is to really focus on my diet and sticking to my calorie goal for the day. After that I plan to start adding in more workouts.

My diary is open to friends, feel free to add me!

Good luck this week!
  • Jill4165
    Jill4165 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My goal for this week is to keep on working out. I am so bad about being consistent with my work outs. I got 6 work outs in last week and hope to do the same this week. GO team Iris :)
  • cedixon0
    Options
    Good morning everyone! Hope everyone is doing well this morning and feeling energized for a new week. I tried out a new machine this morning at the gym - the arm bicycle, I guess it's called. That thing burned way more calories than I gave it credit for! I'm just hoping my arms don't fall off tomorrow . . .

Good luck to everyone for a stress free and splurge free day!
  • marrigot
    Options
    Good Morning ladies!

My goal this week is to get myself to 24 hour fitmess Tues/Thurs/Fri this week. I have a little gym in my condo complex but I seem to work harder at 24 because I "have to get my money's worth" once I'm there. I'm also feeling extra motivated to try new machines after watching Biggest Loser last night.

My soon to be fiance gave me a Nike Fuel Band to support my weight loss progress. I'm wondering what other technology you guys are using to track your progress or motivate you?
  • irishgrim
    Options
    I have a pedometer that clips onto my belt loop. with certain pants it falls off constantly, which stinks. however, i bought a vera bradley lanyard that is supposed to be just as good...and today, on my first day with it, its not. it doesnt count every step. bummer.
  • lildaug
    lildaug Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm feeling great today after finally losing 1 lb after staying at the same weight over the holidays. I'm at least glad that I did not gain. My goal is to get at least 30 minutes of exercise a day. I went for a 2 hour hike yesterday. Today I did a 30 min run and 30 min on the elliptical. I am signed up for gym spinning classes and strength training classes for the rest of the week. This really keeps me accountable when I plan out my fitness regime for the week.
  • exquisitecadavre
    Options
    Hey fellow Irises!

Today was pretty bad for me, though at least I know where it was bad. Book club day+Emily+wine=horrible.
    xD

Anyway, I've scheduled in Curves and walks for the rest of the week and planned out all of my meals, so hopefully it's stronger.

I hope you are all doing well! =]
  • cedixon0
    Options
    Do you ever finish a meal and think "well, that wasn't even like eating". I just had my 270 calories Smart Ones Ravioli for lunch at work . . . and I seriously can't believe that that small amount of food takes me 30 minutes at the gym to get rid of. That's ridiculous.

It also probably doesn't help that I'm completely hormonal and just want a hershey's chocolate bar. Although now that I'm working out consistently, everything gets measured in how long it would take me to work off food. So if a Hershey's chocolate bar is 210 calories, that would take me about 15 minutes on the elliptical . . . I don't know, it might be worth it. Cause I might end up killing my coworkers or my fiance before this week is out.

Gah! Just had to vent - thanks for listening/reading. :) Hope everyone else is having a better day than me!
  • lawyerette
    Options
    Hi there!! Just wanted to check on you, Colleen. Some days are harder than others, so don't feel like you're alone.

Success in this life challenge (not the Biggest Loser, but in getting to your long term goals eventually and staying fit), is not about depriving yourself. It's about finding balance and moderation to the excesses that are the norm in modern society (at least where most of us live).

Related to the chocolate thing, I totally feel you. But why eat a whole bar of chocolate in a mouthful? I find that it just induces guilt. Instead, I keep a bag of chocolate kisses in the house. Well, several actually. They are different flavors. And when I feel like I need chocolate, I have one. And drink a bottle of water. And maybe have another. The most I really ever need is 3.

This may not work for you, but I thought I might suggest it to help you get through the day.

Hang in there!!
  • cedixon0
    Options
    Thanks for checking on me! I actually just ate a mini Kit Kat Bar (after searching and finding out they were only 42 calories) and I feel a ton better. I definitely need to remember that sometimes it's okay to eat something that isn't necessarily "healthy" and I don't have to beat myself up over it. As long as I don't eat 14 mini Kit Kat Bars, then I don't need to feel guilty. And I wrote it down, so I am accountable for it.

The biggest change for me, and what I need to remember to be proud of, is that before I wouldn't have cared how many calories were in it and I certainly wouldn't have written it down to hold myself accountable. But if I know it's 42 calories, and I weigh the pros/cons of eating it and make an intelligent non-impulsive decision, I'm not going to feel bad about it.

And I'm sure my fiance will be happier that I have had some chocolate, because honestly even if it's just a placebo effect, it really did make me not as grumpy. :)

Thanks, lawyerette, for checking on me! It really does help to have people to vent to and somewhere to let all these frustrations out. So glad you made up this challenge!
  • lawyerette
    Options
    Good for you, Colleen! Glad you were able to find the balance today. It's not always easy, but it is worth it!!

So, ladies...

Don't know if you caught it, but I posted the % of each team that has reported in as of this afternoon. Thanks to everyone who messaged me.

With hundereds of messages in my inbox, I may have missed you. I still need to hear from:

Jubersani (Juliana)
    missvalle (Mariana)
    PlumCrazyGirl (Barb)
    CynGetsThin (Cindy)
    Destanie_Robyn (Destanie)
    clairecandolt (Claire)
    meglynne1987 (Meagan)

Thanks, ladies, and finish strong today!! :)
  • arendiva
    arendiva Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I so bummed out today. Yesterday I was so good about eating healthy and exercising. Today I injured my knee and now I probably won't be able to properly exercise for a few days (I have chronic knee issues and this is the most pain I've been in in 2 years). I was so motivated to exercise today and the fact that I physically can't is so frustrating. I really want to reach my weight loss goals and I just don't feel like I'll be able to do that with dieting alone.
  • lawyerette
    Options
    Bummer!!! Hope you're feeling better soon! As an alternate, could you maybe do abs/arms today? Or swim? I have never had knee problems, but those parts of the body are away from the knee, right? Thoughts?
  • arendiva
    arendiva Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I can't swim (no access to a pool) i could possibly do arm exercises though I did my arm strength training yesterday and you aren't really supposed to do consecutive days. I'm not sure if I'd be able to do ab work. I can give it a try.
  • Destanie_Robyn
    Destanie_Robyn Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies! I'm excited to be part of Team iris! Lets keep butt :)

@ Alli (irishgrim) I have the fitbit and I think it is a phenomenal pedometer! it is expensive though - I bought the ultra for $99 but now they actually have a simpler version for only $59, which I realize is still a good chunk of change but for me I think it is definitely worth it! Some nice thing about fitbit is that it automatically syncs with your computer, it syncs with MFP, and it logs steps and flights of stairs climbed! www.fitbit.com for more info.

@Elizabeth I really like that idea with Hershey kisses and water I will definitely need to try that!

@Colleen I hope you feel better this week! I know how you feel with eating 200-300 calorie meals and still feeling hungry ... if I ever feel that way I try to wait 20 mins and if I'm still hungry I grab a light snack like an apple or mandarin or sometimes chocolate, then wait another 20 mins and see how I feel then - usually by that point I realize I'm full! Hope that helps!

Happy logging all!
  • thefitcompanion
    thefitcompanion Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

My name is Heather, and I am one of the stragglers that came in a little later to the competition. I am excited to be a part of Team Iris! This is my first week officially "back" to my healthy routine, so my start has been a little rough, but I am looking forward to getting on track. I have been focusing on getting into the habit of logging all of my food again, and I have a goal to get back to my work out routine by Thursday. Last night I downloaded the Pedometer application for my phone, so I'll be testing it out tonight at work. I also downloaded the Zombie, Run! applications (both the original and the 5K training), which I am going to begin next week.

I work night shift at a local hospital. I am about to start preparing my "breakfast" (the fiance's dinner) - baked skinless chicken seasoned with Mrs. Dash, yellow kernel corn, mixed veggies, and mac and cheese (his favorite). I broke down and am having a Coke while I make dinner because I woke up like a she-beast and need a little caffeine fix tonight before I head into work to deal with some crazy/interesting post-op patients tonight, haha.

I hope everyone had a great and positive day!
  • Jill4165
    Jill4165 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hello Team Iris! Looks like everyone is so motivated. I know checking this board definitely keeps me motivated! I really struggle with getting my workouts in. I am so bad about it I give myself a million excuses not to work out. Well since the new year I have made it my goal to get my workouts in. My mom bought me this Bridalicious Bootcamp DVD's for Xmas. I would certainly recommend these DVD's. I already feel a lot stronger from doing them and its only been about a week and a half. They are pretty intense and include a couple of total body workouts and then some ab and cardio workouts. I think my mom got them from the knot.com store but I am sure you could find them on Amazon. Anyways just thought I would recommend them in case anyone is looking for a new routine.