Stage 5 Questions

Options

Replies

• baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Chubbycowgirl, When I first did those overhead squats they are awkward and and hurt my lower back as well. Stick with a lower weight overhead. Progress slowly. It feels like you arent working it but you are. I started with really light weights for that and moved up very little. Its really weird for sure. Good luck!

- JoAnna
  • NthnButMoonshine
    NthnButMoonshine Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Ebaymommy, glad to see we have one more person here!

Nthn, I've missed so much with sick kids and moving these past few months. Just trying to get back in the swing of things. Way to go on the DLs! That's some serious weight.

I pulled my trap yesterday doing 1B. I've done this a lot on the pull-downs so I MUST be doing something wrong. It feels a little better today. Other than that, I had a great workout. I'm feeling more motivated now that I've finally started Stage 5. Hope I can keep up this momentum. Does anyone else feel like the overhead squat is just really awkward? It really hurts in my lower back when I do it. I'm wondering if I should do something else, but I think it may be a range of motion or nerve issue because it's only on my right side.

My eldest just started pre-kindy this year. My goodness at the amount of CRAP he keeps bringing home and sharing with his little (18month) sister. I usually hit the gym in the evening when the kids are sick. Hubby stays with the kids. I figure I deserve (read: need) the sanity break. :laugh:

Sorry to hear about that trap of yours. Hopefully it wont keep you down for long. The OH squat IS awkward. I too struggle more with my right than my left. More so with keeping the DB where it needs to be than anything else. For some reason my left shoulder is more flexible than my right. I try and concentrate on keeping my arm behind my ear and remembering to stick my butt out and drive back up with it (my butt) just like I would a normal squat. This seems to keep me somewhat balanced. Usually before I do this I do some shoulder motility work. I start with basic shoulder circles and then take a piece of PVC our gym has laying around and grip it wide (think wide grip deadlift) and bring the whole shebang from in front of my body, over my head, to behind my body. I do this several times and it really seems to help loosen up my shoulders. Never did feel much in my lower back though.
  • allikat819
    allikat819 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    This thread has been quiet lately, how's everyone doing with stage 5?

I had such a long break right after stage 4 that I've regressed a bit. Most notably on the wide grip pull down. Which is frustrating, because I feel like I'm starting over on those.

Anyways, I'm sore after having finished my first A and B workouts, I think I mostly blame the BWM!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Alli, I know what you mean about getting back into it. I was off for a month between 4 and 5 and it was hard to get started again. I think you'll come along quickly once you get back into the swing of things. Oh, and I normally only do half the BWM. I just hate it and I dread it so bad I don't even want to workout.

Nthn, my trap was better after a few days. I am going to really focus on doing shoulder warm-ups and making sure my form is good on the pull-downs.

Hope to be able to do 2B tomorrow. I did 2A yesterday and killed it! Upped weights on everything but the wood chop (I am just stuck on that, dang it!).
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Oh my heck these workouts take FOREVER! I've done my first A & B workout and I was in the gym for what felt like a million years. I did the BWM after the A workout and between warm-up & cool-down and the workout it took over 2 hours. After the B workout I did intervals on the treadmill and again it took me about 2 hours. Geesh!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    I know! I haven't been doing the full BWM and I do my HIIT at home or on a "rest" day because it's such a long time to be there! I also don't rest the full 120 secs. I'm still there over an hour. I am looking forward to some shorter workouts in Stage 6.

3A is complete. I did squats today instead of the snatch. I just wanted to see how much I could do since the last time I did them was Stage 1. My ending wt in Stage 1 was 90 lbs and today I did 115 and I think I probably could've done 120. That made my day!

What is everyone thinking of doing after finishing NROL4W?
  • ebaymommy
    Options
    What is everyone thinking of doing after finishing NROL4W?

As soon as I wrap up NROL4W I'm heading straight into spring marathon training. I know, I know.....I spent all that time gaining muscle and then I'll probably lose some because I'll be doing way more cardio and way less lifting. But I'm really, really, really hoping all this lifting and my newfround strength will propel me through training and I can finally get that BQ (boston marathon qualifying time) that I've been dreaming of!

Nice job on the squats, by the way!!!
  • NthnButMoonshine
    Options
    Ugh, Ive got 2 workouts of stage 5 to finish and I can move on, but no one in this house wants to stay healthy long enough for me to accomplish that! GRRRR!!! Had to take the girlie to the doc today. Now it looks like the boy child will need a trip tomorrow morning. So perhaps Ill get a chance to finish my last 5A on Wednesday. Sigh.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    NTHN, hope your kiddos feel better quick! And that you don't get it. Now that my kids seem to be getting over their colds, I've got it.
  • elg1982
    elg1982 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Started stage 5 today! Very excited that I'm still doing the program! (Could be better with tracking food though!)
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    ELG, great job sticking with it! There's not too much left after Stage 5, so you're almost done.
    I only have 2 workouts left in Stage 5 and I can't seem to get them done. I like this Stage a lot (minus the BWM), but I'm looking forward to 6. It looks totally different!
  • NthnButMoonshine
    Options
    Ended up coming down with the flu. Still not 100%, but managed to finish Stage 5 today. Time to move on to Stage 6.
  • ebaymommy
    Options
    Ended up coming down with the flu. Still not 100%, but managed to finish Stage 5 today. Time to move on to Stage 6.

Sorry to hear that!

I feel like Stage 5 is the never-ending stage for me. Between taking time off while traveling for the holidays and then getting sick this past weekend I'm *still* not done.....have 2 workouts left today. I can't seem to kick this nasty cold (on day 5 and two whole days have been plastered to the couch with absolutely no energy) so I'm committing to taking an entire week off from working out. Then I will finish this stage, I promise!
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies! Starting stage 5 on Monday. That's all. Happy New Year!
  • allikat819
    allikat819 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've got one more A and one more B workout left in stage 5. I'm pretty sure I'll go on with 6. I'm kind of ready to switch things up a bit!
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, starting stage 5 this afternoon after two weeks of non-stop eating and good times with family. It's time to hop back on the wagon. I"m happy to say that despite my best efforts at eating myself into a coma I managed to maintain my weight. I"m not looking forward to a stage 3 repeat, since I hated it the first time around, but I"m trying to stay optimistic. AND I got a bodymedia for Christmas :happy: so that in itself is motivating. I realize I'm a data nerd and love getting real time data with my bodymedia so I"m excited to see what my numbers will be at the end of the day with lifting.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Isha, welcome to Stage 5. That's great that you got a bodymedia for Christmas! I have one and I love it. It's so nice to "see" your burns at the end of the day.

One more workout in 5 and I'm hoping to do it today. I haven't increased my weights as much this stage, but that's probably because I was dragging it out. I am READY to get into Stage 6.
  • ebaymommy
    Options
    One more workout in 5 and I'm hoping to do it today. I haven't increased my weights as much this stage, but that's probably because I was dragging it out. I am READY to get into Stage 6.

Ditto this! I have my LAST stage 5 workout tomorrow....this has been the never-ending stage between taking time off for traveling over the holidays and then being sick for a week over New Years. I'm very ready to move on.
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Don't leave!!! lol I'm just starting. I have my 2nd Stage 5B workout tomorrow. I forgot how much I DISLIKED Stage 3 exercises -- seriously my least favorite stage. So I zoomed through the rest periods (60-75 between sets) and felt like I did a rather lame workout, despite sweating buckets. Well guess who has DOMS today??? Really? I still can't believe it. I think it was the BWM. Although I only did one, I did not stretch afterwards like I should have (was in a hurry). My hamstrings are killing me today. Some positives: I did 2 sets of 120 second planks (skipped 3rd). I upped my incline chest press and my overhead snatch to 35lb dumbbells. Upped my bent over row to 105 lbs.

Still don't get: Single leg romanian deadlift. I just. don't. get. this. exercise!! I must be doing something wrong, I'm convinced.

Only did 3 sets due to time. Would like to do 4 sets. And I STILL CANNOT do lunge jumps. I think it's my knees. It's so not pretty what I actually do: it's like a little feeble hop in between a regular lunge.
  • elg1982
    elg1982 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    And I STILL CANNOT do lunge jumps. I think it's my knees. It's so not pretty what I actually do: it's like a little feeble hop in between a regular lunge.

Don't sweat it! I have sprained my ankle twice and I never ever want to do it again. So just regular squats and lunges for me, TYVM!