January Check in and Chat - HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Options

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I did hit my 100lb bench last night! And it was relatively easy so that felt good. I feel like my prospects for hitting 150 next year are good. I know its more likely that I'll slam into a stall at some point before then but I'll also be pretty happy with 135 and that should be no sweat.

As far as protein, I think I mostly do what the other ladies do. Although, since I'm currently eating 2100 cals I find protein very easy to hit, but I make it easier on myself by having a scoop of protein powder in the morning. I finally found 2 flavors that are pretty decent in just water - they're a little pricy but its worth it to me because most of the other stuff I tried was bleh at best or actively disgusting at worst and needed to be hid in other stuff. So I do 1 scoop of powder around 10am, before I've eaten real food so my brain isn't like "this isn't food, what is this crap?" which is 115 cals for 23 grams of protein, and then the rest of the day I just choose foods that are protein rich over foods that are not.

I also use stuff like salami for my evening snack - its harder for me because I'm not all that into sweets in general AND I'm lactose intolerant so I can't eat as much greek yogurt and cheese as other people do (plus the only yogurt I actually like is whole fat yogurt) but light string cheese is also a great snack.

When my cals were lower, I used to do a can of tuna with a few tablespoons of fresh salsa - like pico de gallo type - which is delicious and adds very few extra calories to the tuna. Also good is stuff like - swap in quinoa for your carb instead of rice or bread, or find higher protein bread options, use Barilla plus pasta instead of whole wheat or regular (higher protein and fiber, plus it tastes better than whole wheat).
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I too use protein powder to supplement. Sometimes it's not necessary, but sometimes it does just make it easier.

I like milkshakes, so I use stuff like frozen fruit, ice cubes, cottage cheese as mix-ins to make them more milkshakey. I get lots of recipe ideas from dashingdish.com. It does increase the calories, but I see it as worthwhile. At most I'm still looking at around 300 calories for a shake. Sometimes I can make that a breakfast, or a mid-afternoon snack.
  • jayliospecky
    Options

I also use stuff like salami for my evening snack - its harder for me because I'm not all that into sweets in general AND I'm lactose intolerant so I can't eat as much greek yogurt and cheese as other people do (plus the only yogurt I actually like is whole fat yogurt) but light string cheese is also a great snack.

Excuse me? Isn't that diet food? :indifferent:
  • alwyndacara
    alwyndacara Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Lol :laugh:

Thanks for all your replies! I have been trying to base meals around protein as much as possible, but I think I'm still going to have to supplement a bit. I'll get the one I've been looking at then - it's supposed to mix really well with just water and I can always mix it up with greek yoghurt for a "ZOMG PROTEIN" snack!

Workout 2 was good - got a few funny looks for just putting the 1.25kg plates on the Olympic bar but they soon went when I squatted to parallel :happy: The OHPs were HARD. I failed on 3 of the sets, so I'm going to carry on with just the bar until I can do the full 5x5.

Workout summary:

Warmup (10 mins bike, ankle flexibility moves and walking lunges to loosen off my hip flexors)

Squats: 5 x 5 x 22.5kg
    OHP: 20kg (5, 5, 4, 3, 3)
    Deadlift: 1 x 5 x 40kg

Stretches (hip flexor, quad, arms/shoulders)

I don't like going downhill or downstairs right now though!! Quads are RAGING!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Woohoo I hit 60# OHP yesterday. *dance* My shoulders hurt now.

I use bio-chem protein powder mixed with raw milk. Yum! For groceries I buy organic pastured/grassfed/wildcaught meat so protein powder is more a supplement for my wallet. :laugh:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

Yes it is. And not very delicious besides. But other people seem to like it. Weirdos.
  • jayliospecky
    Options

Yes it is. And not very delicious besides. But other people seem to like it. Weirdos.

smiley-taunt002.gif
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Well I was supervised during my workout B today - second time through - and realised that my form has been rubbish and so it's back to basics! Squats are really tough for me as I seem to have very poor flexibility and can't get down low enough. The bar is also hurting my back.. I'm trying a variation suggested for me so that at least I can do some kind of squat. However, with the focus on form I've realised that increases in weight will be some way off for me. I will need to focus on form before I can start really increasing the weight each workout. I can't believe some of the weights you guys lift! I can't even use an empty bar for some stuff. It'll be very slow progress - I'll just need to stick with it!
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    The OHPs were HARD. I failed on 3 of the sets, so I'm going to carry on with just the bar until I can do the full 5x5.

I started so far below the bar on OHP it's not even funny. :) I think I started around 30 lbs. haven't even begun using the bar yet at 55 lbs- we still have preloaded bars up to 60, I think. I have a few more workouts until I have to switch since I continue to stall there.

I am only lifting twice a week and I have a long stretch in between - Sunday through Thursday. I am DYING to get into the gym tomorrow! :)
  • alwyndacara
    Options
    We have preloaded bars as well - I quite like the novelty of using the Olympic bar :tongue: I did use the preloaded one for my DLs though, I felt I'd taken the bar time up quite enough.

And my shoulders have always been rubbish - any improvement is awesome for me!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    NEWBIE to lifting! Just starting this week. Starting with the empty bar as highly reccommended by everyone and adding 5 lbs each week. Excited to see where I am in a couple of months!

Welcome to the group! I'm not sure if you have an iPhone, but if you do there is an AWESOME app for StrongLifts! It might work on android too, not sure though :)
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Well I was supervised during my workout B today - second time through - and realised that my form has been rubbish and so it's back to basics! Squats are really tough for me as I seem to have very poor flexibility and can't get down low enough. The bar is also hurting my back.. I'm trying a variation suggested for me so that at least I can do some kind of squat. However, with the focus on form I've realised that increases in weight will be some way off for me. I will need to focus on form before I can start really increasing the weight each workout. I can't believe some of the weights you guys lift! I can't even use an empty bar for some stuff. It'll be very slow progress - I'll just need to stick with it!

You might surprise yourself in your progress! Watch Mark Rippetoe videos on form and practice what he says and you'll have it down in no time. Mehdi also has full SL workouts on youtube showing form so I would recommend watching those as well. Conquer the mind and you will conquer the body! YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Blah - I tried to do a 1RM with a PR today on my deadlift. I failed. Then I took 5lbs off, and failed again. My deadlift workout went like this:
    1x8x85
    1x5x105
    1x3x125
    1x140
    1x160
    1x180 (fail)
    1x175 (fail)
    :grumble:

Um, I did FINALLY complete 5x5x60 on the OHP, though :drinker:
    Then I did 3x5x190 Rackpulls, 3x10x35lb plate hyperextensions, and 3x10 hanging situps. Then I packed up my broken ego and came home.

There isn't an app for android, last I checked...but there is a similar one called Strong Log. I prefer my little pink notebook though, lol.

I MUST get to the hardware store and get some washers for fractional weights before my next OHP workout.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Blah - I tried to do a 1RM with a PR today on my deadlift. I failed. Then I took 5lbs off, and failed again. My deadlift workout went like this:
    1x8x85
    1x5x105
    1x3x125
    1x140
    1x160
    1x180 (fail)
    1x175 (fail)
    :grumble:

Um, I did FINALLY complete 5x5x60 on the OHP, though :drinker:
    Then I did 3x5x190 Rackpulls, 3x10x35lb plate hyperextensions, and 3x10 hanging situps. Then I packed up my broken ego and came home.

There isn't an app for android, last I checked...but there is a similar one called Strong Log. I prefer my little pink notebook though, lol.

I MUST get to the hardware store and get some washers for fractional weights before my next OHP workout.

I'm not sure if you have already sourced the washers for fractionals or not, but I did take a look at Home Depot and I wasn't able to find any that had a 2" hole.....hence the reason I went with the masking tape lol

Great work on the OHP! The DL will come...it's that OHP that's the real b!tch lol
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    My fractional weights came in! Going to start loading up tomorrow!
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Someone on a thread recommended LiftBig for Android - haven't played with it yet but it looks great.
  • daoc1972
    daoc1972 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I used both liftbbig and strong log. I prefer liftbig. They're both free, so you really can't go wrong.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!! I am going to start stronglifts next week! I wanted to join because dang...I did not see hardly any info out there on how women were suppose to go at this! I have been on my journey only one week now. Worked out almost everyday and lost 3 lbs. However, I talked to HeyItsDan or whatever and he recommended doing Strong Lifts. My parents are former body builders so knowing that there IS a better way than what I was doing, is such a relief! Nice to meet you all
  • g0hard0rg0h0me00
    Options
    NEWBIE to lifting! Just starting this week. Starting with the empty bar as highly reccommended by everyone and adding 5 lbs each week. Excited to see where I am in a couple of months!

Welcome to the group! I'm not sure if you have an iPhone, but if you do there is an AWESOME app for StrongLifts! It might work on android too, not sure though :)

Thank you so much!!! I have an iPhone and I am going to look for it now. Thanks for the welcome!
  • alwyndacara
    Options
    Someone on a thread recommended LiftBig for Android - haven't played with it yet but it looks great.

I've been using LiftBig - I really like the interface, it's really easy to set up and tells you the weights you should be using on each workout. I really like it!