Inspiration

Options
At the risk of sounding like I am pandering to my admittedly emotional state...
I wanted to start a truly positive thread. The trajectory of my 2013 has changed considerably and I find myself searching for purpose, meaning and my authentic self.
Along the way everyone has read or heard something that has touched them deeply and that is thought- provoking and real.
I would love for you to share your insights..whether they be a quote, book, song lyric or other.

The following is a quote from someone I cannot get enough of lately..she studies shame and vulnerability..

Love is not something we give or get; it is something that we nurture and grow, a connection that can only be cultivated between two people when it exists within each one of them – we can only love others as much as we love ourselves.

Shame, blame, disrespect, betrayal, and the withholding of affection damage the roots from which love grows. Love can only survive these injuries if they are acknowledged, healed and rare.” 

Brené Brown, The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are

Replies

• livestar
    livestar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    "Yes, I am powerful. I am more powerful than my mind can even digest or understand."
    Beyonce
  • disneywm76
    disneywm76 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    This isn't a quote, but something that was very profound and life changing for me.......You can either choose to hold on to the pain of the past or let it go and open yourself up to the joy of the future. I didn't realize until I heard that, that I had been holding on to the pain of a situation for 9 years. Yes, 9 years. How pathetic!!! But once I heard it and realized I was making a choice, and not necessarily a conscious choice, I decided tomake a conscious change. And I wasn't going to let it weigh me down anymore. I still have rough days, but overall I feel so much more "free" if that makes sense.

I don't know if that will help you or not, but it certainly did me. :flowerforyou:
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Also not a quote or if it is not directly.
    Humility is my key to happiness. Being humble is not thinking you are less than others. It is also knowing that you are not BETTER than others as well.
    I am me. I can be better and I could be worse. Each day I accept that I have faults and gifts. And so does everyone else. We are equal..just different. Once I realize that I am not better or worse than everyone else it takes so much pressure off of me, and the sadness of being less than goes away. Sure I have days when I have to remind myself of this..as I am not perfect now or will I ever be..THANK GOD :) But it gives me a self awareness that gives me peace.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    “To say ‘I love you’ one must know first how to say the ‘I.’”
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    "The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all" - Mulan

"The past can hurt, but the way I see it you can either run from it or learn from it." - Lion King
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    "No man is worth your tears and when you find the one who is, he will never make you cry".
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Love all you lovely ladies....but please know it does not all have to be relationship based!! ;)
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Surrender to what is, let go of what was and have faith in what will be.

Sonia Ricotti
  • MissingMinnesota
    Options
    "Forget quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile." - Audrey Hepburn

"Nothings is impossible, the world itself says I'm possible." - Audrey Hepburn
  • MissingMinnesota
    Options
    This one reminds me of a post yesterday

"Polietness has become so rare that some people mistake it for flirtation"
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Appreciate the incredible opportunity you have to become fit. You have to prepare your meals, but many have no meals to prepare. It's hard to train before or after work, but many are out of work. Lifting weights takes effort, but some can't even lift their body from a wheelchair or bed. This is a privilege, so make the absolute most you can out of it. From that perspective, there are no failures—only opportunities. - bodybuilding.com article about 50 Cent
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm not gorgeous. I don't have an amazing figure or a flat stomach. I'm far from being considered a model but, I'm me. I eat food, I have curves, I have more fat than I should, I have scars, I have a history. Some people love me, some people like me, some people hate me. I have done good, I have done bad. I love my Pjs and I go without makeup. I'm random and crazy. I don't pretend to be someone I'm not. I won't change!! And if I love you, I do it with all my heart!! I make no apologies for the way I am. - Unknown AUthor
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorites that are short and to the point...

Never give up on anybody. Miracles happen every day.

When your ex says "you'll never find anyone like me" Reply with "That's the Point!"

Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.

Being Honest may not get you a lot of friends but it will always get you the right ones.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    You must know that in any moment a decision you make can change the course of your life forever: the very next person stand behind in line or sit next to on an airplane, the very next phone call you make or receive, the very next movie you see or book you read or page you turn could be the one single thing that causes the floodgates to open, and all of the things that you've been waiting for to fall into place. ~ Anthony Robbins
  • RunIntheMud
    Options
    Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared. ~ Buddha

Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. ~ Eskimo Proverb
  • RunIntheMud
    Options
    How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being. ~ Oscar Wilde

Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence. ~ Vince Lombardi

Perfection is not attainable. But, if you chase perfection, you can catch excellence. ~ Vince Lombardi
  • afv417
    afv417 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    "Dios nunca se atrasa, ni se adelanta. El siempre está a tiempo." ("God is never late, or ahead. He is always on time")
  • afv417
    Options
    Sexy feels better, than delicious tastes.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    ― Marilyn Monroe

And this one.. it's a bit lengthy, but speaks volumes:

“Only once in your life, I truly believe, you find someone who can completely turn your world around. You tell them things that you’ve never shared with another soul and they absorb everything you say and actually want to hear more. You share hopes for the future, dreams that will never come true, goals that were never achieved and the many disappointments life has thrown at you. When something wonderful happens, you can’t wait to tell them about it, knowing they will share in your excitement. They are not embarrassed to cry with you when you are hurting or laugh with you when you make a fool of yourself. Never do they hurt your feelings or make you feel like you are not good enough, but rather they build you up and show you the things about yourself that make you special and even beautiful. There is never any pressure, jealousy or competition but only a quiet calmness when they are around. You can be yourself and not worry about what they will think of you because they love you for who you are. The things that seem insignificant to most people such as a note, song or walk become invaluable treasures kept safe in your heart to cherish forever. Memories of your childhood come back and are so clear and vivid it’s like being young again. Colours seem brighter and more brilliant. Laughter seems part of daily life where before it was infrequent or didn’t exist at all. A phone call or two during the day helps to get you through a long day’s work and always brings a smile to your face. In their presence, there’s no need for continuous conversation, but you find you’re quite content in just having them nearby. Things that never interested you before become fascinating because you know they are important to this person who is so special to you. You think of this person on every occasion and in everything you do. Simple things bring them to mind like a pale blue sky, gentle wind or even a storm cloud on the horizon. You open your heart knowing that there’s a chance it may be broken one day and in opening your heart, you experience a love and joy that you never dreamed possible. You find that being vulnerable is the only way to allow your heart to feel true pleasure that’s so real it scares you. You find strength in knowing you have a true friend and possibly a soul mate who will remain loyal to the end. Life seems completely different, exciting and worthwhile. Your only hope and security is in knowing that they are a part of your life.”
    ― Bob Marley
  • afv417
    Options

" You find that being vulnerable is the only way to allow your heart to feel true pleasure that’s so real it scares you."
    ― Bob Marley

Love, love, love!