Who workouts at home?

Options

Replies

• blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Here are some great alternatives to those who don't have a barbell or squat rack (like myself) to get through deadlifts and squats:
    http://www.jpfitness.com/showthread.php?t=46576&highlight=Squats+at+home

Thanks this is very helpful. I don't have a rack, but can't seem to get more the 30 lbs on the barbell behind my head without assistance. My legs are capable of squatting with at least a little bit more than that. This helps a lot.
  • JESSJESJ
    JESSJESJ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    This is kinda where I am right now. I do this at home & I can't add any more weight for my squats because I can't lift it either behind my head or up to my chest.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Can I manage with just a Swiss ball and dumbells? I could get a barbell. As a female beginner, how heavy weights would I need.

I'm doing a chalean Extreme at the moment. Do people feel this would be better.
  • Pokermom10
    Pokermom10 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm managing with just dumb bells and a swiss ball. Obviously modifications are necessary but I feel like I'm getting a great workout. I'll get a weight bar when I'm strong enough to cart the dang thing out of the store without assistance. :)
  • jaz050465
    Options
    I'm managing with just dumb bells and a swiss ball. Obviously modifications are necessary but I feel like I'm getting a great workout. I'll get a weight bar when I'm strong enough to cart the dang thing out of the store without assistance. :)

How much weight are you using?
  • makinitcount44
    makinitcount44 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Can I manage with just a Swiss ball and dumbells? I could get a barbell. As a female beginner, how heavy weights would I need.

I started with just Swiss ball and DB that range from 5- 60. I'm halfway through Stage 1 and just got out my bar to do dead lifts with. I'm not using it for squats because I don't want to mess with getting it on my shoulders so I just do a more challenging squat- the variations that were linked on page 1.
  • cbart2818
    cbart2818 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I also workout at home! A little over half way through Phase 1. So far I have what I need, and I am loving it!
  • jaz050465
    Options

I started with just Swiss ball and DB that range from 5- 60. I'm halfway through Stage 1 and just got out my bar to do dead lifts with. I'm not using it for squats because I don't want to mess with getting it on my shoulders so I just do a more challenging squat- the variations that were linked on page 1.

How long did up to 50 pounds last? How much more will you need?
  • bec30
    bec30 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi All! Its good to hear from people who are doing this at home. I'm on my way to our tiny gym at our apartment complex. I have a cable machine there and DBs but no barbells, so its very useful for me to see the links to these modification exercises! I have an exercise ball at home so I'll complete my workout here....
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I do! I started last week, have loved being able to work out at home (as I've been going to the gym 6 days a week for the past 7 months). So far I have everything I need (though I could do with more weights), and really enjoying it.
  • shanster23
    shanster23 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Me :)
    I just started last Thursday. Had some trouble getting the new set of weights alllllll the way up to my top level flat lol!
    I'm managing to squat with 10kg (22lbs) barbell without squat rack but doubt I'll be able to go much higher than 15kg since I have no one to help me out :( and I'm too intimidated by all the guys at my college gym to do it there. So I'll probably have to move on to goblet squats or split-legged.
    I can't wait to start seeing some results! :)
    Anyone can feel free to add me :)
  • FabulousKP
    FabulousKP Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nursekern
    nursekern Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm halfway through stage 1, and I probably jumped into the deep end, I bought a squat rack with 300lbs of weights, and I have a swiss ball and dumbbells from 2-10, I really need to buy heavier dumbbells, but I want the adjustable and they're pretty pricey, so I'm just holding a 10 & an 8. It's awkward, but works for now.

I'm loving it, even though the scale isn't moving (yet!).
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it at home! Just started on Monday.
  • coleybug73
    coleybug73 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it at home for now too. I'm half way through Phase One. I have adjustable dumbells (to 50 each I think), a swiss ball and a bow flex (good for the rows and lat pull downs). Would love a barbell, but I don't have the room. So far so good though, I'm really liking the program. The hardest part is probably NOT weighing myself every week. This is so different from everything else I've ever done. But I'm hoping that the results will be different too!
  • cphaneuf16
    cphaneuf16 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do it at home (second week of stage 1, so a short trak record, LOL!). I had a bench, ball, and dumbbells from 2-10, but needed heavier weights. I just picked up a set of 15, 20, and 25, which will hopefully work for a while. I'm scouring craigslist for an olympic barbell set.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Hi All.

I have one exercise of Stage 2 under my belt after completing Stage 1.

I really loved the dead lifts and heavy squats in Stage 1, I'm finding Stage 2 to be a bit more complex in terms of the movements.

I am doing this at home - no squat rack so my husband helped me getting the barbell on my shoulders for squats, lunges and step-ups.

Can someone give me a better idea of how to do the at home alternative for the horizontal cable wood chop? I don't think I had it right when I did the first exercise.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

Can someone give me a better idea of how to do the at home alternative for the horizontal cable wood chop? I don't think I had it right when I did the first exercise.

I workout at home and have an olympic bar/squat rack and dumbbells but the only thing I'm lacking is equipment for the cable exercises, so I use resistance bands. I'm only on stage 1 now but I have started before and did most of stage 2. For the cable chop I tied a band around my squat rack and simulated the exercise with as much resistance as I could.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this at home - but I am hoping to get a gym membership soon. I'm going to run out of weight on my deadlift as I only have about 60lbs and I have found a gym nearby for £12 month! Going to check it out next week - praying it has a squat rack :bigsmile:
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    This is kinda where I am right now. I do this at home & I can't add any more weight for my squats because I can't lift it either behind my head or up to my chest.

Apologies as I am interloping a bit, because I am currently doing Stronglifts 5 x 5, but just wanted to say I do this all at home. I have barbell, weights and bench. As my space for workout is very limited, I bought squat stands with a bit of a catcher on them. Not as safe as squat rack but work fine just the same. I have positioned them so that as I step back to squat I am doing it between a single bed and my bench and these therefore act as my catchers if need be.

I have been able to proceed through the weights and increase every session using this method even though I have no spotter. Hope this helps.