Team Bob- Week Two Challenge Part 2

Options
6mimi
6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
Lol! You guys are so awesome that I know you can handle a two part challenge this week! :happy:

This part of our challenge is regarding food. Yummmm... my favorite subject!! We are making a Team Bob Cookbook. I am excited! Please post on here healthy recipes that you have tried and enjoy so that you can share your skills with your team. It can be anything from healthy deserts, main course, protein shakes, juicer recipes, whatever. The only rules are that you have to have tried it yourself and it has to be healthy. It can even be a healthy cooking tip that you have learned.
Post on here often throughout the week and look through what your teammates have come up with too. I thought it would be fun to have Team Bob recipes that we can cut and paste and make our own cookbook for our computers, write down your favorites, or print out this challenge and make your own printed cookbook (that's what I'm going to do).
Keep some paper near you because every time you post a recipe or cooking tip you give yourself a star. Keep track of how many stars you have earned. The person who has the most stars by the end of our challenge gets a fantastic prize..... I will change my profile picture for the week to show a picture of me cooking one of your recipes.:laugh: Oh my... priceless!!

Let's do this team! The more posts the better so we can make a fantastic cookbook. Let's do it!!!! Please let me know if you think of any questions and also on your last post for the week let me know your total star count. Ready... set... GO!:bigsmile:

Replies

• yspen42
    yspen42 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Breakfast Smoothie

Kiwi
    Bananas
    Frozen Rasberries, Blackberries, and Blueberries
    Strawberry Yogurt

Flax Seeds
    Raw Oats
    Whey Protein
    Coconut Water
    Orange Juice

I put all the above ingredents in a blender and add a few pieces and blend it up.
    This smoothie allows me to get alot of fruits and sometimes I add spanish and/or Kale.

Enjoy
  • 6mimi
    Options
    Oh Yummy! I don't usually like coconut water on its own so this would be a great way to use it. That sounds really healthy!
  • 6mimi
    Options
    Black Bean Brownies

1 box brownie mix
    1 15 oz. can black beans

Rinse and drain the black beans

Put beans in a blender or food processor

Fill the empty can with water and dump the water in with the beans

Process until smooth

In a mixing bowl, mix the brownie mix and the beans together (do not add any of the eggs/oil.. just the mix itself)

Pour into a pan sprayed with a little olive oil

Cook the brownies according to box directions -- Sometimes it takes a little longer than the box states so just check every now and then

Enjoy! I promise you can't taste the beans!!
  • channon26
    channon26 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    im not good in this area lol but i will try one the recipes that others post.
  • 6mimi
    Options
    im not good in this area lol but i will try one the recipes that others post.

You are also welcome to post any healthy cooking tips, tips for preparing ahead of time, good internet sources on the topic... anything you think might be handy. :smile:
  • 6mimi
    Options
    Chickpea Snack

Drain and rinse one can of chickpeas
    Toss chickpeas in some olive oil and cayenne
    Bake at 450 for 30 minutes

This was in my food Network magazine. I tried it today and thought it turned out good as an easy high protein snack. I imagine you could change it up just fine by trying different spices.
  • carrielynn62
    carrielynn62 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Tuna Marinara Sauce

1-TBSP> olive oil
    2- cans Polar chunk light tuna [drained]
    2-cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
    6-cloves garlic minced
    1/4-1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
    1/2 -tsp. Italian seasoning
    black pepper [to taste]

In skillet, heat oil, garlic ans red pepper flakes over medium heat 1-2 minutes. Add tuna and saut'e until tuna is flaked and warmed through.When the bottom of pan is covered with a nice fishy mush, add tomatoes and Italian seasoning.Simmer on medium/low 10-15 minutes,serve.

Serve over whole wheat linguine or spaghetti squash.
    Serves 4
  • slbauer63
    slbauer63 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Taco Soup

1 lb. lean ground beef can use ground turkey too)
    2 cans stewed tomatoes
    1 can pinto beans, undrained
    1 can whole kernel corn (or yellow hominy) undrained
    1 pkg. Taco Seasoning Mix
    1 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning mix

Brown ground beef; drain grease well. Combine all other ingredients with juices and mix well. Simmer for a few minutes. I really like to put this mixture in Crock Pot and cook on low 4-6 hrs.

1 cup = 3 pts.Weight Watchers points if you are following the program
  • 6mimi
    Options
    Tuna Marinara Sauce

1-TBSP> olive oil
    2- cans Polar chunk light tuna [drained]
    2-cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
    6-cloves garlic minced
    1/4-1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
    1/2 -tsp. Italian seasoning
    black pepper [to taste]

In skillet, heat oil, garlic ans red pepper flakes over medium heat 1-2 minutes. Add tuna and saut'e until tuna is flaked and warmed through.When the bottom of pan is covered with a nice fishy mush, add tomatoes and Italian seasoning.Simmer on medium/low 10-15 minutes,serve.

Serve over whole wheat linguine or spaghetti squash.
    Serves 4

Thanks for sharing that recipe Carrie. I would have never thought of putting those ingredients together and I know how you told me your family loves this dish. Yummmm!
  • 6mimi
    Options
    Taco Soup

1 lb. lean ground beef can use ground turkey too)
    2 cans stewed tomatoes
    1 can pinto beans, undrained
    1 can whole kernel corn (or yellow hominy) undrained
    1 pkg. Taco Seasoning Mix
    1 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning mix

Brown ground beef; drain grease well. Combine all other ingredients with juices and mix well. Simmer for a few minutes. I really like to put this mixture in Crock Pot and cook on low 4-6 hrs.

1 cup = 3 pts.Weight Watchers points if you are following the program
    It is so cold where I am. This soup sounds so warm and delicious... easy to do too. Thanks for sharing!
  • mazarith
    mazarith Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I made this last night:

Sauteed Shrimp w/ light Wasabi Cream Sauce, Sesame Brown Rice, & Napa Cabbage Slaw

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/quick-healthy/fast-menus-00412000074311/page31.html

They were out of napa cabbage, so I used the slaw-in-a-bag mix instead...quicker, easier, & still yummy!

I love the cooking light website, tons of great recipes, most with nutritional values.
  • hanginrailranch
    hanginrailranch Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    this sounds yummy...might have to try a smoothie now...thanks
  • hanginrailranch
    hanginrailranch Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    will try this when feeling better!!! it will take care of this chocolate attacks
  • PhatAv8r
    PhatAv8r Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Eggs

Myth - people with high choleterol and HBP can't eat eggs (yes, they can)
    Myth - more than 30g of protein a day can't be digested and metabolized by the body. (the practical guideline is 0.8g/kg of body weight

220 lbs / 2.2 lbs per kg x 0.8 = 80 gm of protein... for 220 pound person, that is 80gm minimum (also equals only 320 calories or nearly 10oz of grilled chicken breast)...

for someone who is ACTIVELY exercising (30-45 min per day, 4-6 days per week at 65-85% of MHR), the requirement jumps to 1.2-1.4g /kg for women and 1.6-1.8g for men (depending on if you are doing strength training 2xs per week in association with your aerobic work).

This means, for guy like me, who CURRENTLY weighs 136 kg my protein for a day would be 217g or 870 calories .... here is the twist and why EGGS are your frriend...

That 870 calories is normally accounted for from a TDEE of about 3400 calories and is 25% (magic isn't it? how that number matches the daily 'recommendation')... BUT you really need to keep consuming that 870 calories as part of your total calorie budget when you lose weight... so, mine with exercise is usually around 2200-2350 calories per day... which is then 37% of my total daily intake... sounds high, but the only way to maintain muscle mass is to FEED your body protein... otherwise it will begin using protein BEFORE it uses FAT to feed your metabolism...

Whew!!! after all that, here's why I love EGGS

Now, there is too much fat in the WHOLE egg to eat TOO many of them that way... so ,here is my 1st EGG tip....

Scrambled Eggs (forget egg beaters... toooo expensive, and not even as good for you)

2 LARGE whole eggs
    3 egg whites (obviously separated)
    onions
    bell peppers (I keep chopped red, yellow, orange, green in a baggie in my freezer... you can chop them once a month and have plenty)

Use oil spray in your frying pan, heat, then sautee the veggies (I sometimes also add spinach or chopped broccoli)...sautee and then add your beaten eggs and scramble

Just so you know, the two eggs cost you 140 calories, the whites 48, oil spray is technically free, veggies - FREE (or you can log those 15 calories if you really want to)...

Season with a teeny bit of salt and a glass (8oz) of nonfat milk (86 calories) and you have a breakfast that will carry you thru to lunch for less than 300 calories that packs nearly 40gm of protein into your day as you start...

If your like me and start with the morning mile (or more), this will fuel your body and rebuild muscle...

Enjoy!!
  • PhatAv8r
    PhatAv8r Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I might note that the key to eating a LOT of protein in your diet (above that magic 25%) is to ensure you are drinking water CONSTANTLY.... my son carries a 1 gallon (128oz) jug with him everywhere (including his college classes)... he fills it once a day... yes, he visits the porcelain wall unit regularly during the day

If you eat protein, you don't store it as fat if your still under budget, but if you fail to drink enough water, small crystals made from Urea (called uric acid) build up in your system and can cause GOUT, especially in MEN who are 40+...

So part TWO of my hint... eat eggs, but drink water!!
  • bokatok
    bokatok Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Trail Mix Tacos

1 tortilla, I use regular flour
    1 Banana
    1 Scoop of Raisins
    1 Sliced up Apple
    1 teaspoon of Honey
    ! tablespoon of granola
    1-2 tablespoons of peanut butter

Lay out the tortilla flat. On half of it smear the peanut butter. Slice up the banana and place it on the same side. Slice the apple and place it on top of the banana. Sprinkle the raisins, granola and honey on top of those two. Fold over the second half of the tortilla. Slice it so you can manage it. Enjoy. I am fast and loose with the measurements. It's different every time. I might use a bigger tortilla, less PB etc... You get the idea.
  • bokatok
    bokatok Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I might note that the key to eating a LOT of protein in your diet (above that magic 25%) is to ensure you are drinking water CONSTANTLY.... my son carries a 1 gallon (128oz) jug with him everywhere (including his college classes)... he fills it once a day... yes, he visits the porcelain wall unit regularly during the day

If you eat protein, you don't store it as fat if your still under budget, but if you fail to drink enough water, small crystals made from Urea (called uric acid) build up in your system and can cause GOUT, especially in MEN who are 40+...

So part TWO of my hint... eat eggs, but drink water!!

My personal best on water was 1000z, that was last week.
  • 6mimi
    Options
    I made this last night:

Sauteed Shrimp w/ light Wasabi Cream Sauce, Sesame Brown Rice, & Napa Cabbage Slaw

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/quick-healthy/fast-menus-00412000074311/page31.html

They were out of napa cabbage, so I used the slaw-in-a-bag mix instead...quicker, easier, & still yummy!

I love the cooking light website, tons of great recipes, most with nutritional values.

I don't have any shrimp recipes so this will be great! Thanks for sharing!
  • 6mimi
    Options
    will try this when feeling better!!! it will take care of this chocolate attacks

I hope you start feeling better! :flowerforyou:
  • 6mimi
    Options
    @ PHATAV8R Wow... that is some great information! Thanks for sharing. I know I often get confused on how much protein to eat. I know I stay full longer with protein but was confused about if I over do it and it being stored as fat. This information will be very helpful. That recipe sounds great too.