Introduce Yourself

Options

Replies

• Songmartine
    Songmartine Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

I'm relatively new to this site. I am commiting myself to eating more mindfully in 2013. I did not do a great job of following a healthy lifestyle consistently in 2012. I would love to add some friends to share support, recipes and laughs day to day.

A bit about me: Almost 30, unconventionally married, child-free by choice, queer, vegetarian, love video games, cheesy TV shows and action movies.

Cheers :D
  • that_tall_girl
    that_tall_girl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm not new to MFP, but I am new to this group. My boyfriend and I are joining forces with other family members to do a 6-month Biggest Loser competition this year. We actually started on December 30, so we're a few days in already. I was just looking for a few like-minded individuals to share this journey with me!

I'm 28, not married (obviously), no kids, 2 cats, recovering evangelical, and I spend entirely too much time on my computer. Hoping to change that this year.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Welcome guys.... best of luck!
  • melindanew
    melindanew Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Mel.

I've been here a little while, was on Livestrong before. I've lost 50+kgs, with about 40 left to go.

So much bad science on the boards here, just like Livestrong. Turns me right off communities. ;(
  • TMLPatrick
    Options
    I agree, mel, I hate having to deal with the bad science. I've mostly just tuned it out now.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I've been on here for about 4 months, lost quite a bit of weight. I am thankful there is a group of rational thinking people on here who don't just tell me to "pray and the results will come"
  • Ahk666
    Ahk666 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I'm Amy. I've been using this site sporadically for quite some time, but kept my page private. I thought that if I went public I'd be more serious about sticking to my goals.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    You just have to find the thing that works for you. You are trying to lose weight for some reason and to accomplish that you are going to have to make some changes in your eating habits. You have to decide if losing the weight is worth more than eating the food that you want to. When you find your reason that is worth more than the habits that make you gain weight you will be able to stick with it.
  • rabbitrage
    rabbitrage Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone.

I'm a 27yo queer child-free atheist from South Australia. Been godless pretty much forever.
    It's so awesome to see so many people in this group! I've seen a lot of christian groups around, and I'm glad there's a hangout for us too.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    We are vastly out numbered and I am not entirely sure just how active the members that we do have are. You can add me if you would like a fellow atheist on your friends list though.
  • karenplauze
    karenplauze Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, all. I am a 57 y/o heterosexual femaile. I am somewhere between Atheist and Agnostic. I am not superstitious and do not attribute everything from creation to my personal accomplishments and failings to the interventions of an imaginary sky god. With that in mind, I decided that I could not, "in good faith" so to speak, continue to blame my weight gain on my abusive mother and dysfunctional family. I have always been about 133 (my "military weight"). Over the past 10 years I gained weight and am now 162. It is time that changed. And I am the one who has to do it.
    Anyway, I guess I have always been a nonbeliever, even though I was raised Catholic. During my recent involvement with my dysfunctional family I not only gained weight but, hold onto your hats, tried to turn back to the church for answers to why I was in such a situation. After actually reading the bible and, more importantly, the Catechism of the Catholic Church, a realized what a glut of cognitive dissonance and bent logic Catholic dogma is made up of. I feel I have cognitively returned to sanity. Now its time I physically regained my health as well.
    As you can see from my picture, I have one less item on my "bucket list"!
  • soldier4242
    Options
    I was also raised in the Catholic Church and I am glad to be rid of that ball of crazy. Congratulations on scratching sky diving off of your bucket list. I am also trying to get down to my military weight of 185. I think of a good way of describing me is Agnostic Atheist I don't know if there is or is not a god but I don't believe there is one. If evidence for one were brought forth then I would have to evaluate that in turn but up to this date no such evidence has been brought forward.
  • TMLPatrick
    Options
    I was also raised in the Catholic Church and I am glad to be rid of that ball of crazy. Congratulations on scratching sky diving off of your bucket list. I am also trying to get down to my military weight of 185. I think of a good way of describing me is Agnostic Atheist I don't know if there is or is not a god but I don't believe there is one. If evidence for one were brought forth then I would have to evaluate that in turn but up to this date no such evidence has been brought forward.

Thats pretty much the Dawkins position.... can never be 100% sure, but there sure isn't much evidence...certainly nothing that indicates anything in the bible is true....
  • soldier4242
    Options
    Certainty is such an elusive thing. All we can ever do is a have a strong rational justification born from pragmatism. It is this reason that prevents me from being a gnostic atheist I am sure Dawkins would have a similar reason. Now if we change the context the verbiage can change with it. For example I can say there is no such thing as god in the same way that I can say there is no such thing as leprechauns.

Now one could say well now you have to prove there are no leprechauns because you said there are no leprechauns but people know what I mean when I say there are no leprechauns. It is just that people don't tend to go to such great lengths to defend leprechaun belief as they do with god. The truth is I just haven't seen any evidence of a leprechaun in the same way I have not seen any evidence of a god.
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    Hi all --

I'm Henry. I've been on MFP on and off for about two years now. But, for reasons you can see in my profile, I've got a lot of good reasons to keep going on it this time, and it's going extremely well so far.

I have never been a particularly religious person; I guess I'm what happens when you don't brainwash your kids from a very young age. We never went to church regularly until I was about 10 years old. My inquring mind always had questions about how things in the bible could be true, but I never asked them or thought too long on them because...well, you just didn't do that!

Not to feed the whole "liberal college ruined a good christian boy!" myth, but my freshman year in college was really an eye opener for me. I took my first philosophy class, and all the questions I had always had in my head were laid out on paper, with thousands of years of thought and debate to go with them. How amazing!

That summer I worked overnights in a call center and had lots of time to read. Between the books from this philosophy class and the internet, I solidifed my atheism when I realized that I wasn't alone and I wasn't the only one who thought like this. And here I am today :)
  • abberwocky
    Options
    Hey, I'm Abby. I'm 24 years old, 5'3" tall, and 161lbs (about 170 at my heaviest).

I make my living as a singer in the Tampa Bay area of Florida, but I'm originally from South Bend, IN. I'm in a relationship with an awesome atheist man who is also my musical partner. We're both trying to lose weight, obviously for the health benefits and self-esteem boost, but also because being thin is helpful for career advancement in the music industry.

I just joined MFP last week and I'm finding it really helpful so far. I was so excited to discover that there is a group for atheists here! I didn't think I'd get into the social aspect of MFP until I found this. It would be nice to have a support group of people who don't think praying will make the weight come off faster. ;-)

Anyone in the group, feel free to add me as a friend!

40118975.png
  • halflife1978
    halflife1978 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a yo-yo dieter from Texas who has created and destroyed in frustration several accounts on here in the last few years. I hope this one will stick. I've got about a hundred pounds to lose and I'm going to do it one...by...one.

I was raised in a secular household. I was never told God existed but I was never told that God didn't exist. I figured out the latter on my own after having jumped into the former headfirst for a few years as a teenager. My parents were supportive of my beliefs except I was not allowed to tell my brother he was going to hell.

I'm in a mixed marriage - my husband is Christian and I am decidedly not even spiritual. We are extremely happy despite this fact. I hope to be as tolerant as my parents were with my own children, and like my parents, never stop giving them opportunities for curiosity and discovery. You don't have to indoctrinate anyone if you show them how to come to their own answers.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    I find it interesting that you are married to a christian. Is he just not that in to it or is it a case where you don't ever discuss it? I imaging if he were the preachy type it would get a bit annoying trying to live with him.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a yo-yo dieter from Texas who has created and destroyed in frustration several accounts on here in the last few years. I hope this one will stick. I've got about a hundred pounds to lose and I'm going to do it one...by...one.

I was raised in a secular household. I was never told God existed but I was never told that God didn't exist. I figured out the latter on my own after having jumped into the former headfirst for a few years as a teenager. My parents were supportive of my beliefs except I was not allowed to tell my brother he was going to hell.

I'm in a mixed marriage - my husband is Christian and I am decidedly not even spiritual. We are extremely happy despite this fact. I hope to be as tolerant as my parents were with my own children, and like my parents, never stop giving them opportunities for curiosity and discovery. You don't have to indoctrinate anyone if you show them how to come to their own answers.

Interesting story. Thanks for sharing!
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Hi. I just celebrated my 3rd year of no religion. Easter was my awakening. I always had crazy theories that justified gods power, but in reality it was denial. I am happier, freeer, more open minded, and my critical thinking skills are better.

Saw a bomide meteorite yesterday. May have been the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. In an instant I knew we were all interconnected, and we are all one. Thought it was an alien ship, until I googled.