High/Low Corner

Options
JRIV60
JRIV60 Posts: 732 Member
I like to think of us as an online family. For many of us we seek the encouragement of others on here that are dealing with the same struggle (our weight).

I was thinking we could have a thread to post our highs and our lows. Not every day of course but if you got that promotion at work that you so totally deserved, I think you should get kudos for it. Or maybe you completed your first 5k, or had a cool NSV (non-scale victory). On the other hand, maybe you had a really crappy day or need some extra support to get you through a tough week.

What is great about being part of a group is that you can get all of the support you need and I feel this group needs somewhere to share these with people who know what we're on about.

Share whatever you would like whether it is good or bad. Sometimes it's just good to talk about it.

Replies

• siriusgirl
    siriusgirl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm reporting this as a high ... but I'm actually at a low right now. I've gained 15+ lbs back since I stopped being activea on mfp and really trying at the end of june 2012. I gave away all my large pants back then and now I'm stuffed in the pants I have. I am full of excuses for not exercising or cooking healthy. I could go on complaining...but I'd rather move on to the fact that mentally I have finally won! I have slowly been getting on here and another site (tribesports) more often and have been reading books on eating healthier and ordered some exercise videos! I have a plan and I am not going to wait for my next mfp challenge to start -over I am starting in the morning! And I am very happy to finally be back! Feel free to hold me accountable! :)
  • Huzke
    Huzke Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm working through one of the lowest points of my life. On October 26th my girlfriend broke up with me because she wants to find someone that hasn't already been married and doesn't already have children. We were together for almost a year and the relationship seemed like it was great. Apparently she had been struggling with this all along, though.

The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago with the last previous relationship I was in and I was with that woman for about a year and a half. This time, though, I am far more devastated. Really bad timing with the holidays because I'd spent the previous two Christmas days alone (my sons spend the weekend before Christmas with me and Christmas day with their mother) so this was the third Christmas day in a row I was alone, right after really looking forward to having someone to spend it with. We met each other at a New Year's party and now New Year's is coming up in a few days. My birthday is then January 4th so another reminder that I'm getting older and still alone.

Work was also adding to my low point. A week after she broke up with me I also found out that my contract at work was ending due to a budget cut. So all of November I was stressed out about that as well. Luckily another department picked me up to help run their contract and I wasn't financially impacted but it was just a whole lot of stress thrown on me at the wrong time as I worked through November and tried to cope with being discarded again.

What I've been doing since she broke up with me is trying to focus on improving myself to make myself happier and to be a better role model for my sons. I should be able to get under 200 pounds by January first (crossing my fingers) and that will make me feel great. I'll still have a long way to go to get to my goal of 160 pounds, but I'm going to get there. I was also sent to a leadership course through work that is presented by an outside company that develops professional talent. The course took three months to complete but I won two awards in that class for my presentations. One award was given by the instructor and the other was voted on by my peers. I gained a lot from the course and the awards really helped build my confidence back up.

So that's my story from the last few months as I work through this low point.
  • JRIV60
    Options
    I commend you both for posting your struggles on here. It is so hard to focus on being healthy and taking care of yourself when there is chaos around you. We have all been there, we just need to dust ourselves off and keep moving forward.

Huzke maybe you can turn your exercise into a stress reliever. When you are concentrating on working out you are not thinking about a broken heart, or loneliness, the unknown. On the up end I am glad that your work scenario worked out for the best.

sirius I know you are strong and can accomplish anything you put your efforts into.

Jo
  • Huzke
    Huzke Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement. It felt good putting that all out there.
  • siriusgirl
    siriusgirl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jo! You are the best!
  • JRIV60
    Options
    Here is my mini high for the week - on Tuesday I went to my first Zumba class in over a year and I must say I really, really enjoyed it. So much so that I plan on going twice a week for the next month. Such a super fun way to burn calories, I forgot how fun it was. I am also so super excited about my weigh in this morning. This is the lowest weight I've been since 2009. I started this journey at 216. and today I am 184.2.
    I have felt really complacent these past few months and I have been uninspired and a bit put off with me staying at the same weight and doing the same boring routine.

This week I am re inspired and am determined to get these last 6-7lbs off of my body so I can begin to tone.
  • kedgin
    kedgin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have hit a few low spots in my weight loss journey.. Started my journey at 189 and got down to 162 only to gain it all back and then some in under 7 months. So the weight gain was the first low spot..

The second low spot with my exercising.. Seems that no matter how much I say I am going to work out, I never seem to.. This has been going on since before Thanksgiving.

The third low spot was crumbling into pressure from work and family to go home for Christmas. Because of this, I have not been able to go to the Crossfit gym like I was going to. I know part of it is that I financially could not afford plane tickets home for Christmas and the Crossfit gym monthly fee, but it still bugs me. I haven't been back to Crossfit in quite awhile and definitely want to go back but am still trying to get finances back in line.

The last low for me is that I am not the self motivated type. If I know someone is depending on me or expecting me to show up to work out, I will but if I have to go on my own - I am more apt to find excuses and not go.

High note for me, since 2010 I have been steadily working on getting free of credit card debt.. Slowly but surely and am almost there. I know that when I am done, I will not have to worry so much about finances and trying to do stuff without it breaking the bank.

Am really hard and down on myself because I know that I can be out running and eating better but haven't. And there is no excuse for it..

Have determined to start again and stay with it.. Here is to a new year, a new me and hopefully better results..
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I had a few highs this week, I got back on the elliptical trainer after being away for over 7 months and I am back up to 12 minutes. It may not seem like alot to some people but when you are heavy like me, it's really takes it out of you!!

Also, I went to the gym 3 times last week and I walked on the treadmill 30 minutes at home today.

It feels good to start being active again and remember what I've been missing. I went to the grocery store and was able to walk the whole time and didn't have to sit.

All these small NSV are really adding up and keeping me going.

Thanks to everyone who has shared their highs and lows right now, I am sure I will have lows and it really helps to know there is a place I can come to and get it out. Good luck all on your journeys and if you want a supportive friend, please add me :)
  • SammieAus
    SammieAus Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My high for today was joining MFP! Taking control and visualizing a healthier me feels pretty good!
  • JRIV60
    Options
    Great posts, thank you for sharing and keeping this thread active! :flowerforyou:

Jo
  • Smashley914
    Options
    I'm definitely on a high this week. I feel like I am finally back in the weight loss zone. After I had my son in 2011, I did really well to get some weight off - I lost almost 30 pounds. 2012 was filled with one life challenge after another and I just couldn't keep it together, I felt like we really couldn't catch a break. I gained 20 pounds back. So now, I've gotten life back in order, my family and I are moving in a really positive direction, and I'm committed to getting this weight off.
  • Topself
    Topself Posts: 24
    Options
    Im about to have a low real quick if I don't post this just to see my words. It's late and I made some cookies for the wife, she has been up studying. I have been doing very well this week and I just knew if I didn't say something to someone, I would have a big glass of milk and a few myself. I feel better and I am about to do the p90X cardio just to burn a few more calories before I go to bed.

Hope you guys don't mind the dumb message, but it really helps when you can see your own words before you do something.
  • JRIV60
    Options
    Im about to have a low real quick if I don't post this just to see my words. It's late and I made some cookies for the wife, she has been up studying. I have been doing very well this week and I just knew if I didn't say something to someone, I would have a big glass of milk and a few myself. I feel better and I am about to do the p90X cardio just to burn a few more calories before I go to bed.

Hope you guys don't mind the dumb message, but it really helps when you can see your own words before you do something.
    No worries I am the same way. If I post it on MFP it is my word to you all so I have to do/not do it. lol
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Scale said 189.5 this morning - that's the lowest I've been since I started this whole thing! Woot!
  • JRIV60
    Options
    Scale said 189.5 this morning - that's the lowest I've been since I started this whole thing! Woot!
    <-- is doing the running man for you! woot woot!! congrats my friend!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    My high this week is that I completed my 5mile run in under 1 hour, for the first time since my knee injury! I completed the couch to 5k program before Thanksgiving, but then tried to run too much over the holiday, and ended up with a very sore right leg and knee. I had to stop running for a few weeks, and slowly build back up to it. (I guess that would have been my low). Saturday was my first 5 mile run since then!
  • HatherM
    HatherM Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    My high this week is that I completed my 5mile run in under 1 hour, for the first time since my knee injury! I completed the couch to 5k program before Thanksgiving, but then tried to run too much over the holiday, and ended up with a very sore right leg and knee. I had to stop running for a few weeks, and slowly build back up to it. (I guess that would have been my low). Saturday was my first 5 mile run since then!

That's brilliant well done :happy: it's so inspiring that you didn't let your injury send you off track
  • Smashley914
    Options
    I'm really frustrated with myself right now. I know what I need to do. I just keep making poor decisions - I *know* junk food will make me feel like junk. I *know* that the more fruit and veg I eat, the better I will feel and the more weight I will lose. But at work, it has just been too easy to get mac and cheese or fried chicken tenders for lunch. I work at a grocery store for goodness sake, I can get a salad or sushi just as easily.

I feel like I am fighting with myself and beating my head against a wall every single day, and it is exhausting. I'm going to head out for a nice long walk after I finish my coffee. Hopefully that will help to clear my head.
  • txsweetie82
    txsweetie82 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I painted my toes today!!!! May not seem like a big thing but that is what pushed me to my breaking point of being fat!

This past January me and the hubs were going out on a double date and I was wearing flipflops so wanted my toes pretty (Texas January, lol) I was so disappointed in myself and humiliated that I cried. As I was painting my toes I had to stop repeatedly to gasp for breaths and totally broke out into a sweat! It was such a task to do. I thought to myself "Who in the hells sweats painting thier toes!?!?" so after I was done I looked at my husband and told him I was done being fat! That was a friday night, monday I got my first gym membership ever and I am so proud today that I did!!

Yeah super giddy that painted my toes.. Even if they are a god aweful mustard yellow color lmao!!
  • txsweetie82
    txsweetie82 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm really frustrated with myself right now. I know what I need to do. I just keep making poor decisions - I *know* junk food will make me feel like junk. I *know* that the more fruit and veg I eat, the better I will feel and the more weight I will lose. But at work, it has just been too easy to get mac and cheese or fried chicken tenders for lunch. I work at a grocery store for goodness sake, I can get a salad or sushi just as easily.

I feel like I am fighting with myself and beating my head against a wall every single day, and it is exhausting. I'm going to head out for a nice long walk after I finish my coffee. Hopefully that will help to clear my head.

((HUGS)) Sorry you're so frustrated! I know I struggle at work sometimes too.. I work in a small town and the only options to eat are Mexican, mexican, mexican/american buffett, burger joint grease pit, sonic grease pit, and a subway... Needless to say subway is NOT an everyday meal... I try to plan myself out meals for lunch at work for the week... Over the weekend I will buy enough meals to get through the work week and then monday take them with me. Maybe you can go an keep a pocket calendar with you and your days you work that week go and write down what you are going to eat. Prepare yourself a menu. maybe that will help...