Fitness: Cardio vs. Lifting

Options
VelociMama
VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
It seems most of the people I know here who are serious about lifting don't do any cardio (anything beyond low-impact workouts like walking or occasionally light jogging). There also seems to be a very anti-cardio mentality among some of these folks, and my question is why? Specifically, is it detrimental to do serious cardio training (intervals, HIIT, circuit training, etc.) when trying to preserve lean mass or increase strength? Obviously, people have preferences, but I'm asking more from a physiological standpoint than just a preference standpoint.

My point in asking is that I'm considering a more hybrid approach to my fitness program post-partum. What I did before was basically low-impact cardio (walking or leisurely cycling) combined with a modified Stronglifts program. I had a lot of success with this (lost over 30 lbs doing this combined with high protein diet and 250 calorie per day deficit - 1/2 lb per week average).

This time, however, I'm interested in getting not only stronger but also improving my overall fitness which includes cardiovascular fitness and flexibility/mobility work. I was doing Stronglifts 3x per week, and I'm thinking this time I'm going to add a day of cardio training and replace one of the Stronglifts workouts days with cardio training, so I'd be doing a 2/2 split during the week of weight training/cardio.

I'd love to get some feedback here if anyone has comments about this.

I'm 5'8" and will be starting at around 180 (assuming I end up close to my pre-baby weight post-delivery, which is very possible). My ultimate goal is to get down another approximately 35-40 lbs and take my body fat percentage down to <20% eventually.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I cannot speak for everyone obviously, but I only have two real anti-cardio isssues:

1) I personally hate it (but that is just whether I decide to do it, not anyone else) and can maintain a deficit without it
    2) significant amounts of cardio can be counter productive

Other than that, I say go for it, as long as you are not creating very large deficits because of it.

One thing I would be careful of - while I *think* 2 days a week full body workout out is adequate for LBM maintenance, I would recommend 3 x a week as a 'safety net' so to speak. This way, if you had a bad workout or missed one, you still have the 2 days. Think of the 3rd day as insurance.

Could you not have 3 days of lifting and 2 days of cardio or would that be too busy of a schedule?
  • VelociMama
    Options
    One thing I would be careful of - while I *think* 2 days a week full body workout out is adequate for LBM maintenance, I would recommend 3 x a week as a 'safety net' so to speak. This way, if you had a bad workout or missed one, you still have the 2 days. Think of the 3rd day as insurance.

Could you not have 3 days of lifting and 2 days of cardio or would that be too busy of a schedule?

This is a good point.

I am just thinking 5x per week schedule might be too much with a newborn to care for.

I'm trying to stick to something I can do for 45-60 mins 4x per week max.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I cannot speak for everyone obviously, but I only have two real anti-cardio isssues:

1) I personally hate it (but that is just whether I decide to do it, not anyone else) and can maintain a deficit without it
    2) significant amounts of cardio can be counter productive

Other than that, I say go for it, as long as you are not creating very large deficits because of it.

This is what I do. I do SLs 3 days a week (M,W,F), and *try* to get in a run at least two days of the week (about 30 minutes), normally on Sunday and Thursday. If my schedule doesn't allow for it, I'll cut a run day.

From what I've gathered (I'm absolutely no expert), as long as you don't do excessive cardio, like Sara stated, it shouldn't impact your lifting at all. I've been doing cardio the entire time I've been lifting, and I'm seeing amazing progress, and pretty good strength gains.

I, like you, wish to improve my overall fitness. I lift because I wish to be strong, and it gets me the results I desire. However, I *do* enjoy cardio, and I wish to continue to improve my stamina.

As long as you don't overdo it on the cardio, it shouldn't have a negative impact on your LBM or strength.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    FWIW, currently I do 2 days of compound heavy lifts and one day of HIIT and metabolic weight training complexes. I'm am able to maintain and progress very slighty this way. The complexes get whole body. I bike ride in the warm weather. So, kind of a hybrid approach.

I generally dislike Steady State Cardio. I get bored!
  • VelociMama
    Options
    Great feedback already. Thanks!

I'm in the same boat with this. Being on a treadmill or elliptical for hours would drive me nuts.

I'm actually thinking of doing heavy bag boxing training for my cardio. There are a lot of beginner programs out there, and I think it would be kinda fun. I may combine that with some jogging or bike work though. I've not really decided on specifics yet.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    As I mentioned to you earlier, I just use an elliptical for my cardio on my off days (30 mins, average HR ~160). I found when I did HIIT 2 days a week and lifted 3 days a week that it was impacting my lifting in a negative manner. In a deficit, that's a lot of work/stress/impact. It's probably a lot more doable at maintenance or in a surplus. I think your plan is fine, just realize that overdoing it on one will probably impact the other, especially while trying to lose weight. Just doing this has put my resting heart rate in the very low 50s and my BP at 116/66 so I feel like I am getting some pretty good cardio benefits along with my lifting gains.
  • missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about other people's opinions on this as well! I have always preferred cardio to weight lifting, but I do both. Doing both can be a real balancing act depending on what you are doing. I pay for it either way, but it is worth it to me. By pay for it, I mean, for a long time I had to give my cardio endeavors the top priority- weights came second. I was more likely to get hurt if my muscles were exhausted and depleted from lifting. My incline hike- which I was working on my speed- (up a mountain, 2000ft elevation gain in .9 mile, 4 miles back down) set the schedule for the rest of the week because it was so exhausting- no leg days 24-48 hours before and after. Depending on how much/what intensity of cardio I do, I will not see the sort of strength gains I would expect to see with my lifting. I have changed things up and put lifting first and brought my cardio down a few notches during the winter. This has been a nice change and I have enjoyed lifting more because of it. As soon as it warms up and summer comes (kids home), I will have to change things up again because my time will be limited and I will be out there enjoying things as much as I can (running, biking, hiking, dancing)! If cardio for me meant the treadmill/elliptical, I would have none of it.

I guess my point is, I do what I love and make it work. I lift to retain lbm, not because I actually love doing it. My best advice is to try things out, see how it goes and how you feel and continually reevaluate.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

I'm in the same boat with this. Being on a treadmill or elliptical for hours would drive me nuts.

I'm actually thinking of doing heavy bag boxing training for my cardio. There are a lot of beginner programs out there, and I think it would be kinda fun. I may combine that with some jogging or bike work though. I've not really decided on specifics yet.

I find boxing to be one of the most addictive forms of cardio out there.

I do a lot of cardio...and I think it has impeded my strength gains. I am taking a break from lifting right now, but when I start up again I will be cutting back on cardio.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

That's why I do the HIIT and metabolic weight complexes. They are more interesting and give me a great cardio workout.
  • VelociMama
    Options
    As I mentioned to you earlier, I just use an elliptical for my cardio on my off days (30 mins, average HR ~160). I found when I did HIIT 2 days a week and lifted 3 days a week that it was impacting my lifting in a negative manner. In a deficit, that's a lot of work/stress/impact. It's probably a lot more doable at maintenance or in a surplus. I think your plan is fine, just realize that overdoing it on one will probably impact the other, especially while trying to lose weight. Just doing this has put my resting heart rate in the very low 50s and my BP at 116/66 so I feel like I am getting some pretty good cardio benefits along with my lifting gains.

That is fantastic.

How big is your deficit (or was when you were doing the HIIT)?

I'm wondering if I should do the 1/2 lb per week deficit again or be a little more ambitious and go for closer 1 lb deficit this time also.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I do not HATE cardio, but I also don't really enjoy it, AND I'm unwilling to give it any of my precious exercise time most days.

I usually use the strategy of "I will lift, and then if I feel like it I will do some random cardio" except this past month my husband has started lifting with me again, which is important to me and I want him to do it so I will not complain about it, but lets just say I prefer to lift alone and also he is a very impatient person who HATES waiting and also feels social embarrassment for many things like, if he is just standing in the gym waiting for me, strangers might judge him for not doing cardio, and that would be really awful for reasons I can not articulate.

So anyway. That hasn't been happening. He wants to be a better runner though so he's been dragging me out for 20-30 minute jogs.

TL;DR - I care about making lifting progress a lot, and I do not particularly care about improving in any cardio-heavy endeavors, so when I have to prioritize my exercise time, I don't do cardio. And also my husband is kind of a girl.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

That is fantastic.

I'm wondering if I should do the 1/2 lb per week deficit again or be a little more ambitious and go for closer 1 lb deficit this time also.

Right around 500 a day. Having a smaller deficit and not drinking beer every day would probably help too. So your mileage may vary. :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

That is fantastic.

Slightly off topic to your original question, but I do not see any reason why you should not start at a 1lb a week deficit if you want and then cut down to 1/2lb the nearer you get to goal.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I do around 3 hours of cardio per week, personally. :-) My lifting comes out to 2.5 hours per week.

I try to box for two hours and take an hour run on the weekend.

I enjoy my cardio activities.... especially the heavy bag class.
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    Good topic. I cycle mostly during the warmer months and log 350-500 miles a month with 2000 calorie burns per ride. However, this winter I started a strength training program lifting 3 times a week. Since I have not lifted during the warmer cycling season before I will have to make a decision on the amount of riding if I continue my lifting. I don't want to lose the LBM I have regained.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    One other thing to consider...and this is because I have seen the pics of the women you have as your goal..you could think about doing SL 2 x a week, a longer cardio session (like boxing) 1 x a week and then have the other day as a mix. Do iso/higher rep work for 30 - 40 minutes and do a higher intensity cardio type workout at the end for 20 minutes or so.
  • VelociMama
    Options
    One other thing to consider...and this is because I have seen the pics of the women you have as your goal..you could think about doing SL 2 x a week, a longer cardio session (like boxing) 1 x a week and then have the other day as a mix. Do iso/higher rep work for 30 - 40 minutes and do a higher intensity cardio type workout at the end for 20 minutes or so.

What would be the benefit of doing higher rep work?

Also, I don't really expect to get to my goal physique for a long long time. I'd love to eventually, but I'm just not anywhere close.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

What would be the benefit of doing higher rep work?

Also, I don't really expect to get to my goal physique for a long long time. I'd love to eventually, but I'm just not anywhere close.

Sorry - was not clear - in the hypertophy range and it would put slightly less strain on your CNS so a little less fatiguing (in theory).
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Bumping.

I also love lifting; hate cardio (running, etc.). For work though, I have to maintain some semblance of cardio conditioning.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I just dont have reason to do much cardio. I can get the heart and lung benefits with short amounts of cardio and also from lifting. Calorie deficit by eating less/better. I am not training for any endurance/performance events.

Also the more cardio I do the better I get at it and the less benefit I get from it. IMO limiting it keeps the benefits, if that makes sense. When I first started over a year ago I would almost die going 7mph on the elliptical for 10 minutes. Now I can go flat out 12-14 mph for 20 minutes straight fairly easy. Not really burning much more than when I first started. To continue to get the calorie benefits I would need to go longer or add more resistance. Which is fine but I really have no reason. I would rather do sprints, complexes, calisthenics, plyometrics, circuits, HIIT or any other type of time efficient cardio.

I do 10-20 minutes of elliptical as a warm up before lifting 4-5 day a week. Thats it for gym exercises. I do go hiking and biking a lot though. Doing a sport or activity for cardio is awesome. Grinding away time on some machine or running is bad for my mental health. : )