Are there any Crunchy Mamas Out There?

Options

Replies

• VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for weighing in on the hospital situation (and those that sent me PMs) After talking to the doc I'm going with Hospital #1, he said that if I want a natural birth I should go there because the other one really pushes meds and this one is better about getting out the birthing ball and stuff. He also recommended I stay home and birth at home as long as possible. Since this is my first and the hospital is almost an hour away I'm going to try but I imagine I'll find myself at the hospital sooner rather than later....If I go too long at least my husband went through EMT training so he could always deliver her ;) Is it weird that the prospect of my husband delivering my baby doesn't really bother me? He's never done it before but he went through the training and I feel like "in the olden days" it's not like women had special training or anything, our bodies are made to do this! *sigh* no wonder my friend's husband calls me a "crazy hippy freak" lol

Sounds like a great plan! Good luck to you! :)
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm semi-crunchy. I'm American but live in the UK where un-medicated midwife-led births are the norm. I had a drug free hospital birth with my first and it's given me the confidence to go for a homebirth this time. I'm so excited about it! I have to inject with blood thinners unti 34 weeks but have been told it's fine to give birth at home as they will be out of my system by labour time. I'm going to have a birthing pool in our conservatory. I exclusively breastfed my daughter and fed her to 18 months and did baby led weaning with her and used cloth nappies, and also co-slept the first 3 months. Planning to keep things the same this time. Hope everyone gets the birthing experience they want and deserve!

Yay, a new topic for discussion: co-sleeping.

How did co-sleeping work out for you? Was she just in the bed with you or did you have something else? I feel like I remember my SIL mentioning something that clips onto the bed so that the kid is RIGHT THERE without being in the bed.

I feel like I would get nervous having a newborn in our bed but we definitely plan to have her very close by

Firstly: Here is a link to some guidelines on safe co-sleeping. It is stated here and agreed by our health visitor that infant co-sleeping is considered safest where there is a breatfeeding relationship between the mother and baby.

http://cosleeping.nd.edu/safe-co-sleeping-guidelines/

I never intended to co-sleep. But we lived in a very drafty 17th century cottage in England and out daughter was born December 21. We tried really hard to get her warm in the Moses basket but it was freezing! Also my daughter fed every 45 minutes for a half an hour for about the first 3 months (I'm not even exaggerating!) and it became the only way I could sleep. I didn't have a nest or anything like that because the whole point was that my daughter could latch on and off without waking me so she slept with my arm wrapped around her. This also stopped any risk that my husband or myself could roll onto her. It did make my husband nervous, so I slept in the middle with her on the side, but with my arm around her so that she couldn't fall out. I do think co-sleeping was one of the reasons I was successful breastfeeding, It keep supply up and I was never exhausted or felt resentful that I had to sit awake half the night feeding while my husband could sleep. I also worried she wouldn't ever be able to fall asleep on her own but by the time she was a year old she was in a cot and could independently fall asleep. She has never been much of a sleeper and that would have been the same regardless of where she slept as a baby. At 4, she is a very independent and happy girl who rarely ends up in bed with us in the middle of the night. We really value our time together as a couple at night but giving that up for 3 months was something we were willing to do to make sure breastfeeding worked out well and that I got enough rest.

If you are interested in co-sleeping look up all the safety guidelines and be sure you are happy with them all. I never drink or take medications that might make me sleep deeply and I never co-sleep on a sofa or in a bed against a wall. I guess one has to keep in mind that for most of human history babies slept with mum and were perfectly safe, babies alone in a crib on their own is a fairly modern invention. That said with this baby due in July, (when it is warmer) I am hoping he/she won't feed as much as my daughter and that they will be happy in a moses basket for the first three months. Mostly because it would make my husband less nervous. But if we do end up co-sleeping again, that's okay with me too.,
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing Kelly! That's very interesting and it's definitely a good idea to look up the guidlines for co-sleeping. I think it would make me nervous but I definitely see how that would be helpful when the baby is feeding a whole lot! I guess we'll see how things go with our baby. I could definitely see her co-sleeping parts of the night after late night feedings.
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Baby #2 coming soon. Currently 35 weeks. My DS is 21 months. Had a hospital birth but had an epidural. Having a hospital birth this time (regretting not getting a midwife this time though...) and going to try and avoid any drugs if possible. I breastfed DS until he was about 16ish months as my milk started to dry up and pregnacy hormones were just not making me happy to BF any longer. Hoping to make it to 2yrs with 2nd baby as i dont plan on getting pregnant again :) We did baby-led weaning/baby led solids and skipped puree food all together (highly recommend)!, cosleeping, babywearing. I'd like to say im in the middle somewhat crunchy lol
  • vonalj
    vonalj Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    For those of you that select/delay vaccination

Can anyone give me some advice on which vaccinations you went with? How old your babies were? Etc.

My doctor wants to start shots at 2months, I don't feel comfortable.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    For those of you that select/delay vaccination

Can anyone give me some advice on which vaccinations you went with? How old your babies were? Etc.

My doctor wants to start shots at 2months, I don't feel comfortable.

I have no experience as I'm pregnant with my first, but I've checked out several different vaccination schedules and still am not sure what I am going to go with. I'm leaning toward Dr. Sears' with maybe some modifications of my own. I'm definitely not giving my son the Hep B vaccine in the hospital.
  • ToFatToBeSick
    Options
    I would love to do a home birth but can't. The last two deliveries resulted in the doctors actually having to use medication to stop my bleeding. For me, a home birth wouldn't be safe in case of a hemmorage.
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I would love to do a home birth but can't. The last two deliveries resulted in the doctors actually having to use medication to stop my bleeding. For me, a home birth wouldn't be safe in case of a hemmorage.

Midwives come prepared with antihemmoragics for after the delivery if needed. In the practice that I use, use also can't do a home birth if you are anemic.
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    so I gave my OB my birth plan yesterday, at first I was real happy with how he responded but now I'm not too sure. He definitely is supportive of my no drugs and wanting to be able to move around and all that jazz. He even said he will hold off on an epesiotomy if I really want (he has an 80% epesiotmy rate for first babies YIKES!) But I said that i'd rather have a tear and would only want an epesiotomy if I rip forward and only if I say it's ok. He said that's fine so I'm OK with that.

the one thing I'm most concerned about is something that's really a big issue for me. I said i wanted to deliver in an uprite position and he was like "hmmmm, I don't know about that, I mean, I guess we do have the squat bars" but it kinda sounds like I can ONLY deliver on the bed and really how much does the squat bar on the bed help? I DO NOT WANT TO DELIVER LAYING DOWN!!! So, what do you all think?
  • nursenikki829
    Options
    so I gave my OB my birth plan yesterday, at first I was real happy with how he responded but now I'm not too sure. He definitely is supportive of my no drugs and wanting to be able to move around and all that jazz. He even said he will hold off on an epesiotomy if I really want (he has an 80% epesiotmy rate for first babies YIKES!) But I said that i'd rather have a tear and would only want an epesiotomy if I rip forward and only if I say it's ok. He said that's fine so I'm OK with that.

the one thing I'm most concerned about is something that's really a big issue for me. I said i wanted to deliver in an uprite position and he was like "hmmmm, I don't know about that, I mean, I guess we do have the squat bars" but it kinda sounds like I can ONLY deliver on the bed and really how much does the squat bar on the bed help? I DO NOT WANT TO DELIVER LAYING DOWN!!! So, what do you all think?

Make yourself very clear... tell him that you have done your research, and lithomy position is biologically the second worst position to give birth in (second to hanging from your feet). Episiotomies are an outdated practice... it is a little scary that he does them so often when studies have shown that women heal better from tearing than being cut. Good luck... just be very stubborn about what you want! Just go in there with knowledge and don't take no for an answer! Have you had any luck finding a doula?
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options

Make yourself very clear... tell him that you have done your research, and lithomy position is biologically the second worst position to give birth in (second to hanging from your feet). Episiotomies are an outdated practice... it is a little scary that he does them so often when studies have shown that women heal better from tearing than being cut. Good luck... just be very stubborn about what you want! Just go in there with knowledge and don't take no for an answer! Have you had any luck finding a doula?

no, I kinda gave up on the doula. But hubby said he is more than prepared to advocate my birthplan and tell the nurses to do what I want. Also, assuming I am on or after my due date, my sister will be there and she has had one home birth and one in a birthing center as well as a bad hospital birth so she will be good at helping me with things too. She says "if you are on the birthing ball and decide you want to deliver there they can't physically make you move so...."
  • kellykneppergrundy
    Options
    I think it's so sad that we have to worry about being pushy and saying no just to get births that follow evidence based best practice. Even here in the UK, where my hospital birth was midwife led and drug free, I was still coherced into giving birth on my back so they could continually monitor baby's heartbeat for no good reason. The pain was much worse on my back. Thankfully I wasn't at the hospital long before having her but had I been older or more experienced I would have said no and done whatever i wanted to. Like I will during my homebirth this time. :)

Does anyone have experience of tearing and refusing stiches? I had a second degree tear last time, mostly due to the fact that no one was in the room when I actually had her. So I pushed her out without anyone applying counterpressure or guiding me into breathing the head out rather than pushing it out. I didn't want stitches and the midwife was really rude and make a big deal about it saying my uterus would fall out if I didn't have them. I finally agreed and she messed them up so badly I had to have loads of raw skin lasered off 5 months later. That whole 5 months it burned when I used the toilet and I wouldn't let my husband anywhere near me. So I'm pretty scared of a repeat this time. I'm birthing in water this time, so hoping that helps? But considering refusing the stitches if I tear again. Any thoughts?
  • nursenikki829
    Options
    I think it's so sad that we have to worry about being pushy and saying no just to get births that follow evidence based best practice. Even here in the UK, where my hospital birth was midwife led and drug free, I was still coherced into giving birth on my back so they could continually monitor baby's heartbeat for no good reason. The pain was much worse on my back. Thankfully I wasn't at the hospital long before having her but had I been older or more experienced I would have said no and done whatever i wanted to. Like I will during my homebirth this time. :)

Does anyone have experience of tearing and refusing stiches? I had a second degree tear last time, mostly due to the fact that no one was in the room when I actually had her. So I pushed her out without anyone applying counterpressure or guiding me into breathing the head out rather than pushing it out. I didn't want stitches and the midwife was really rude and make a big deal about it saying my uterus would fall out if I didn't have them. I finally agreed and she messed them up so badly I had to have loads of raw skin lasered off 5 months later. That whole 5 months it burned when I used the toilet and I wouldn't let my husband anywhere near me. So I'm pretty scared of a repeat this time. I'm birthing in water this time, so hoping that helps? But considering refusing the stitches if I tear again. Any thoughts?

I have never heard of refusing stitches... even though you had a bad experience, if needed, I would still get stitches with tearing.. to me it would be like cutting your finger badly and sticking a band- aid on it instead of getting stitches. The stitches aid in the healing of the tear. Have you considered a water birth? The chances of tearing are less in the water, you can also do pernieal massage to help stretch the tissue and try birthing in a different position. I had tearing with my first baby and found out that I don't dissolve sutures, so I need to have mine removed post- partum anyway. Luckily, I didn't tear with my second or third.
  • kellykneppergrundy
    Options
    [/quote]

I have never heard of refusing stitches... even though you had a bad experience, if needed, I would still get stitches with tearing.. to me it would be like cutting your finger badly and sticking a band- aid on it instead of getting stitches. The stitches aid in the healing of the tear. Have you considered a water birth? The chances of tearing are less in the water, you can also do pernieal massage to help stretch the tissue and try birthing in a different position. I had tearing with my first baby and found out that I don't dissolve sutures, so I need to have mine removed post- partum anyway. Luckily, I didn't tear with my second or third.
    [/quote]

I've read a bit on it, and it sounds like unless you get a 3rd or 4th degree tear, your chances of healing fine without stitches are pretty good. I honestly thought the pain of the stitches was much worse than the birth. It takes a long time for anasthetic to work on me, and despite telling the midwife this she went ahead anyway and I was jumping all over the bed while she tried to stitch me up. Honestly the agony I was in for 5 months afterwards plus the later lasering off of the skin couldn't be worse than anything that could happen had I refused. I know quite a few people with similar situations who had to be recut and restitched after 6 months-year because the stitches weren't done well and didn't heal correctly. I am doing a water birth this time, with that in mind and hoping it will help. I will also be doing perineal massage, although from what I've read its success in reduction of tearing is only about 6%. What positions would be best? I was flat on my back last time but will be in a birthing pool this time. Seriously considering refusing should I get a 1st or 2nd degree tear.
  • Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am rather crunchy :) All natural birth last time and same thing this time. This will be my second. I picked a midwife that won't allow home births but she will let me leave the hospital directly after having the baby which is what I did with my first also. I understand the liability of a home birth and I can respect my midwife for wanting me in the hospital but I am super happy that she will let me leave within an hour of having the baby. With my first I went to my best friend wedding, which I was in, 48 hours after having him which was really great. The first one I BF for 14 months and I plan to BF this one also. I will find out in two weeks if I am having twins. I hope that I will get to keep the same birth plan if it is twins but I guess if I have them early I might have to adjust the plan. I make all my own baby food and baby wear and co-sleep(for BF reasons). I love that there are so many other crunchy moms out there :)
  • nursenikki829
    Options

[/quote]

I've read a bit on it, and it sounds like unless you get a 3rd or 4th degree tear, your chances of healing fine without stitches are pretty good. I honestly thought the pain of the stitches was much worse than the birth. It takes a long time for anasthetic to work on me, and despite telling the midwife this she went ahead anyway and I was jumping all over the bed while she tried to stitch me up. Honestly the agony I was in for 5 months afterwards plus the later lasering off of the skin couldn't be worse than anything that could happen had I refused. I know quite a few people with similar situations who had to be recut and restitched after 6 months-year because the stitches weren't done well and didn't heal correctly. I am doing a water birth this time, with that in mind and hoping it will help. I will also be doing perineal massage, although from what I've read its success in reduction of tearing is only about 6%. What positions would be best? I was flat on my back last time but will be in a birthing pool this time. Seriously considering refusing should I get a 1st or 2nd degree tear.
    [/quote]

On your back is pretty much the worst position, but squatting or on all fours increases your pelvic width, making pushing easier.
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    Ok, I once more need input. I have an appt next Wed with my OB so I'm going to talk to him about why he seemed hesitant with the uprite birthing position and what positions he would consider and all that jazz but I got a list of midwives that are approved by my insurance so i'm thinking of switching. I mentioned wanting access to the birthing tub in my birth plan and he was kinda like "um, yeah, ok...it's a lot easier just to use the shower which they have in each room"

I just got off the phone with an office that has a midwife and an OB and from talking to them they seem really open to just about anything. I asked if they would do water birth and she said i'd have to specifically talk to the midwife but that she is very open to various positions and what not. They also said that they only do c-section if totally necessary, as in, you can't even request a c-section which I like. So what i'm wondering is, do I just switch or do I follow up with my OB first?

I really like my OB but I also don't want to feel like I need to convince my doctor of the birth that I want. I know that either way I'll have to deal with hospital staff but I like the idea of having a midwife and a female...someone who has confidence in the woman's body ability to do what it's supposed to
  • Caguppie
    Caguppie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    @emily:

i'm only going on gut feeling about human nature, here, but i think that a conventional doc who questions your birth plan will be even more likely to question that during the birth (or maybe be even more likely to be controlling of your birth because he is 'the expert'). it just seems that most of the negative stories i hear have to do with so-called emergency situations during birth and the physicians really have a way of scaring women into doing the thing that is easiest and least time-consuming for the doc.

i've chosen a midwife for my first birth because i know i'm anxious and will be prone to being agreeable with 'the expert' in the moment. i didn't totally understand your scenario but i have the impression that by definition, midwives are automatically all more open to alternate birthing positions and more accepting of the fact that birth TAKES TIME (something docs don't allow for and don't want to because time=money).
  • Caguppie
    Caguppie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I need to friend ya'll!

BTW, for some of you who might feel that you are the only 'crunchy mama' around, my city has a huge yahoo group for 'attachment parenting' that is very active. You might be able to find something in your own communities to plug in to. Maybe a Meetup group or a Yahoo group?

Carrie
  • nursenikki829
    Options
    Ok, I once more need input. I have an appt next Wed with my OB so I'm going to talk to him about why he seemed hesitant with the uprite birthing position and what positions he would consider and all that jazz but I got a list of midwives that are approved by my insurance so i'm thinking of switching. I mentioned wanting access to the birthing tub in my birth plan and he was kinda like "um, yeah, ok...it's a lot easier just to use the shower which they have in each room"

I just got off the phone with an office that has a midwife and an OB and from talking to them they seem really open to just about anything. I asked if they would do water birth and she said i'd have to specifically talk to the midwife but that she is very open to various positions and what not. They also said that they only do c-section if totally necessary, as in, you can't even request a c-section which I like. So what i'm wondering is, do I just switch or do I follow up with my OB first?

I really like my OB but I also don't want to feel like I need to convince my doctor of the birth that I want. I know that either way I'll have to deal with hospital staff but I like the idea of having a midwife and a female...someone who has confidence in the woman's body ability to do what it's supposed to

It is hard to do, especially this far into the pregnancy, but you have to do what feels right. Don't compromise yourself or the birth that you want. I would see if you could have a consultation visit with the other practice/ midwife and see what vibes you get from them. Good luck!!! It is a tough decision!!!