Keeping fat loss a secret

Options
_SABOTEUR_
_SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
Hi,

I go on internet and blind dates a bit and I was wondering whether you would tell your date about MFP and weight loss etc or just pretend you've always been this smokin?

Replies

• pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    If you think this person has long term potential I would not lie (they will figure out the truth eventually). I think its ok to gloss over the fact that you used to weigh more or that you've recently become healthier, whatever... and get into details later on as you get more serious.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Agree with pa about the long term thing. Although people are usually really impressed when I tell them that I've lost 40 pounds,.. I once asked my current SO what he liked about me, and he told me that one of the things was how motivated I am, especially in that area.
    I've had guys on dates tell me they've lost a good amount of weight before and I think it's a huge turn on to respect yourself enough to want to turn your life around like that. And if this is a really big part of your life, and you're proud of your accomplishments, why not share? And who knows, maybe she could relate.

In my opinion, if a girl is going to be turned off by the fact that you USED TO be out of shape, then she probably isn't worth your time. The past is the past... You're good now? You're good now.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I agree with Sam and PJ.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I dont see it as a 1st date discussion, more of a 6th date getting to you know you better and better...........

I dont get too personal or serious on 1st dates.........
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Never talk about it imo.

People are much more impressed when they find out. When you talk about it you come off as a try hard.

That however kind of sticks with my personality anyways, I tend to speak with actions and less with words. In general I find words tend to be meaningless.

Regardless, I wouldn't talk about it, until it becomes obvious you have lost some weight, then spill the beans.

(To go ahead and address a future issue with my statement, NO I don't try and "impress" people with my weight loss, I am just saying people are more "impressed" in general by noticing your actions themselves. So his weight loss would come off more favorably than if he made a big stink about losing weight.)

Also to note: Sam the camera is too high on your new profile pic. Please try again.
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I don't want to..but it usually comes up.
    My goal this year is to not mention it. I think it ends up being TMI and a turn off. But I feel it explains alot about my past lack of dating.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    If it comes out in the naturally in the converstation I will talk about it but I don't force or bring up the subject on its own.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options

Also to note: Sam the camera is too high on your new profile pic. Please try again.

Cute, Zach.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to do selfies? I might need your help.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Cute, Zach.

That sounds really dirty, but in a very fun way! :bigsmile: Especially with Zach. :blushing:
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    There was another thread on this (I can't find, and alas I am away from home and don't have my record of fave topics) but while there were many varying opinions, I noticed the guys generally felt like a woman shouldn't say anything. That if she did, they might not want to date her anymore for fear that she'd go back to the unhealthy ways (and thus end up unattractive or unable to perform sexually or just plain sickly). And then there’s the women who simply lose weight to catch a man, and then let themselves go after they’ve caught him because “now he has to lvoe me as I am.”

I honestly don’t remember the women caring as much as the men, but I don’t have the link to the thread to check my memory. Since OP is a guy, I'll throw in my 2 cents that if a man told me he lost 150 lbs last year, I'd be very impressed with his progress, but at the same time I'd probably be wary of committing too soon because I want to see if these changes are permanent. So I wouldn’t say anything up front, but let it come out naturally as you get to know each other, share pictures and such.

Now, if I’ve been dating someone for awhile and always seen them enjoying a fit life, it wouldn’t bother me as much once I find out, but too many people (myself included) lose weight and look great and then something happens and boom that weight packs on and they return to old habits.

We don’t often like to admit it, but physical appearance has a LOT to do with romantic attraction.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

Cute, Zach.

Ok I guess I can help, but your position is terrible, might need to try some new positions, I will give you a hand.

That sounds really dirty, but in a very fun way! :bigsmile: Especially with Zach. :blushing:

;):)
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I think the fact that you used to be overweight is far less important than the fact you lead an active and health conscious life style.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I think the fact that you used to be overweight is far less important than the fact you lead an active and health conscious life style.

You're back! Yay!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    In my profiles I mention that I have changed my lifestyle and kind of note what I am seeking due to that, etc.
    I am pretty vague that I have lost 85lbs, but I state that health and fitness are super important to me, but I am not looking for a gym mate just someone who is active and likes to get out.

When I feel I know the person good enough, I open up and talk about it.
    For me it is important becuase I am anal about my calories and such, also I workout alot and I WONT unless a special event/circumstance change my workout schedule. (of course this isn't how I say it to them, I am just saying I am very strict on these things and they probably become apparent as we learn eachothers schedules, etc.)

Once I really open up and it is going somewhere, I show them my pics.

ETA: I was reading some of the other posts, and I agree it should come up - not on date one, not as cocky, but I think if you are confident in yourself now and it's not for an ego boost, go for it. Mine is more a casual, I've come along way, wanna know why I am so strict on a few things...
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Not going to talk about it unless things get serious or unless the topic comes up because he mentions having struggled with his weight.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I go on internet and blind dates a bit and I was wondering whether you would tell your date about MFP and weight loss etc or just pretend you've always been this smokin?

I'd pretend all the way baby! :laugh: Unless is was brought up in a topic and it was at least a few dates, then no, I would not mention it at all.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    This is interesting. I feel that losing a good amount of weight shows you have character and drive. You decided you didn't like something and you fixed it. You didn't stay the same just because it was easier. I had one of 3 interviews with a company that's ramping up their employees and one of the questions was "Tell me about a goal you set for yourself recently and accomplished". There was no way I wasn't going to mention my 40+ pound weight loss and attitude change towards health and wellness for this - the process of losing the weight made me a better person, stronger, more in control. That goes for other life stuff as well. I'd say that most people would respect someone more for losing weight/fat.
  • _jk0g_
    _jk0g_ Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I haven't braved going out on a date yet. But outside of MFP I really don't talk about it. I tend to keep it quiet, but if exercise comes up I do mention I workout. If/ when I brave it, I would tell someone I am dating the amount of weight I have lost after a while. It isn't something I would hide because it is a part of who I am and it has shaped the person I am becoming.

I think most would be impressed and respectful of the weight loss in general. Plus I would think most of are looking for someone who takes care of themselves and would be encouraging in a our continued fitness.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    well I still have a long way to go but I would probably mention it if we had dated long enough. I mean he needs to know that I love food haha and I am a curvy girl so I don't want anyone to think i'm always going to be thin (assuming I get there one day).
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    If it comes out in the naturally in the converstation I will talk about it but I don't force or bring up the subject on its own.

Pretty much the same for me. It's not something I'm in a big rush to talk about, but I won't hide it either. It does tend to come up fairly quickly, though, because I have what most people (not on MFP, but in general) would consider extreme views about diet and exercise, and that naturally leads to "why?" or "have you always been this way?"

If I had "only" lost 20 lbs or so, or if I had only been overweight for a very short period of time, I might never mention it at all. But I was chubby for most of my life and then a full-blown fatty for about 5 years. There is plenty of photographic evidence of it, so there is no use in pretending I've always looked like I do now.