Stronglifts 5x5 Summary

Options

Replies

• lillydlc
    lillydlc Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Short, sweet and to the point. Thanks for taking the time to do this.
  • wannalosew82
    wannalosew82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    WAIT. Dead Lifts are only ONE SET??????
  • moonbm46
    moonbm46 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Can this be done only 2x's per week with success/gains?
  • Denziee
    Denziee Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    bump
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Ok, so i have the app on my phone, it shows the moves, i did what i thought was right, i did 25 of each move, rested 60 seconds in between each 5 , I'm really weak, so i dids the bench press at 40, squats 20 and pedley rows at 20 lbs . Only took me 20 minutes? Wtf did i do wrong, oh, i burned 250 calories in that time limit, according to my hrm.
  • Nancy_hc
    Nancy_hc Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    bump! I've been wanting to start lifting and this is where everyone is pointing me. Thanks for the breakdown!
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Ok, so i have the app on my phone, it shows the moves, i did what i thought was right, i did 25 of each move, rested 60 seconds in between each 5 , I'm really weak, so i dids the bench press at 40, squats 20 and pedley rows at 20 lbs . Only took me 20 minutes? Wtf did i do wrong, oh, i burned 250 calories in that time limit, according to my hrm.

in the beginning it is a quick workout...as your weight increases, you will need longer time to life and longer recovery periods between sets....then obviously it will take longer to complete a workout
  • sittinginthesun
    sittinginthesun Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for taking the time to do this! It was overwhelming to read through the PDF! You rock!
  • sittinginthesun
    sittinginthesun Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Beautiful! Wish I'd had this when I was starting out... that PDF really is atrocious. And your description of it made me quite literally laugh out loud. I get that most of his audience is male, but it does sort of irk me that he's not doing anything at all in his power to help change that up a little. And it really wouldn't be difficult - just stop the DUDE BRAH YEAHHHH!!!! crap.

Ah well. Tis why we've got this group. :)

Yeah, so much this.

I've been getting his emails and it's just as bad. The first email had the word "guys" in it no less (and possibly more) than 16 times, as in "the top ten things guys do wrong in the gym!!!"

Um, what's wrong with "people" instead of "guys"?

He has a couple of posts where he sort of says, "Yes, women can do this, too" and he knows he has women on his forums, and yet everything is men, men, men.

I know he says something like 93% (or whatever) of people using his program are men, but I highly doubt it. I bet it's more like 75% and he's just a sexist *kitten*.

Oh, well, if we can modify the program and make it work for us, so much win.

This would have saved me a boatload of time when I started, and lots of "Oh crap! I'm doing it wrong!" Adjustments.

Easiest way to remember your workout is "overhead and dead" for deadlift day. While the lableing (A/B) is immaterial other than for tracking purposes, it is really important to do overheads and deads and benches and rows on the same days because you need to work the antagonistic muscles on the same day.

If overheads are really difficult for you or you have shoulder problems, do seated dumbell presses instead keeping your back flat against the upright bench, so as to train your body not to overarch your back.

Fractional plates: you need to have at least 2 2.5s in order to increase 5lbs/session. You don't need more than those and 2 1.25s. Also for newbies if you can't do 45 or 35lbs use a standard bar to start, they are super easy to come by on craigslist and they generally weigh 15 lbs. If you are starting with a squat rack and can't afford a power rack and/or gym membership, use chairs on either side with the back of the chair facing the same direction as your butt to catch the weight should you fail on your lift. I figure most chairs should be able to handle 250lbs each which should be more than enough. Be as certain as you can that your form is correct before adding weight.

Important form checks:
    Squats:
    knees should not pass the vertical plane of the toes
    Before you add even the bar, squat like you're going to poop in the woods... is it comfortable (esp on knees)? If not adjust until it is, if so add the bar but don't go all the way down. Low bar squats with a thumbless grip seem to be the easiest on your shoulders and the easiest to enable you to "sit" in the squat and press from your glutes and hams. Also, drop a $20 and get a bar pad, alternatively the one piece foam pipe insulation will work.
    As you decend and push out of the squat, the bar should stay in it's original vertical plane. "In the hole" (bottom of the squat) you should feel it in your abs from the work you have to do to keep yourself from folding over at the waist. This will become more apparent as the weight grows. Have a focus spot slightly above neutral when you are standing. Keep your eyes on that spot for the ENTIRE lift. This will help you keep your back in proper alignment. If when you are done, you feel it more in your lower back than your but and hamstrings, you are folding over at the waist. If you feel it more in your quads, then you are not "sitting" in the squat enough and pushing through your heels. You can do all of these checks with out another person, mirror or video cam, except maybe your paralell position of your thighs. Don't be discouraged if you fix something only to have another form problem pop up. It's totally normal and progresses as the weights progress. Sometimes this is an indication that you have some rehabilitation work to do on a complemementary muscle group. In the case of folding over it is abs although lots of people seem to think it is upper back, to me that is more of a matter of bar position.

OHP: I only have some ideas on this one. if you feel it in your lower back you are over arching at the point where you go accross your face with the bar to the chest. If your elbows hurt then you are not bringing the bar to the full ROM.

The fix for ROM is to drop your weight until you aren't shorting the rep and for back arching is to do them seated with your back all the way up against the raised bench.

Deads: the plane of the weights should stay the same through out the lift including the top and on the way back to the floor (most common error). Usually what people (if I was medhi I would have said 'guys' he he. ) do wrong is heave back on the bar at the top and then lower to the floor withought bending the knees and instead bending at the waist. Obviously the fix is to lower using your knees and keeping your back straight. At the top, instead of heaving back on the bar and thereby arching your back, thrust your hips forward to get your hips more under the weight.

Rows: back should be parallell to the floor, head down maybe spot slightly in front of you on the floor throughout the lift. I've found most comfortable the grip to be slightly outside shoulder width and on the lift try to push my hands together while gripping the bar.

Most common mistakes: curl the wrist at the top and comming up with the shoulders. I think the fix for this is to start out with your feet further under the bar and your grip wider.

Bench: Back arched upper back pressing into the bench, transverse abs taught like you are trying to do an extended leg lift, grip shoulder width apart, looking at the bar or slightly above. LIft the bar from the rack and pull to starting bench position in what feels much like a lat pulldown. Bench to nipples (touching if you have big girls!! just above if not). During the lift while gripping the bar, try to pull your hands apart. Remember to breathe during the lift. Exhale up, inhale down. Don't short the lift, elbows should end about paralell to the bench. Wrists straight.

That's all I can think of atm.

OH and thanks for distilling all that stuff for us!

WOW! So helpful -thanks for all the tips!
  • MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I thought I posted it but I guess I didn't.

How long are you supposed to rest between reps?
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I thought I posted it but I guess I didn't.

How long are you supposed to rest between reps?

initially 90 seconds to 3 minutes... sometimes you may need a lil more
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Thanks for making this!!! I went through the .PDF earlier this week and felt so discouraged. I am a fast reader but none of the info in it really talked about women lifting.

Now to work up my nerve to do this at the gym - there are never any women in the lifting area and I'm fearful of looking like a moron trying to use the squat rack or bench (if it's not already being hogged by a dude)
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Thanks for making this!!! I went through the .PDF earlier this week and felt so discouraged. I am a fast reader but none of the info in it really talked about women lifting.

Now to work up my nerve to do this at the gym - there are never any women in the lifting area and I'm fearful of looking like a moron trying to use the squat rack or bench (if it's not already being hogged by a dude)

There isn't anything in there about women. Mainly because he doesn't really acknowledge that women exist. He never says that women can't do it either. Anyways theres no real difference in the program other than your starting weights may have to be lower. Also when you get into the higher weights you may need to go up 2.5 lbs or 1 lb increments instead of 5 to see gains.

As for being nervous I am a guy and I was scared as hell I was just going to get laughed at. Surely a 6'0 230lb guy should be lifting more than the bar right? I never even got a glance. Point being is most of it is in your head. Just have to get in there and do it. In a couple days you will feel comfortable. Also in my gym we have 3-4 women in the weight room at anytime. I never even notice them unless I'm just walking in. You'll probably find people pay way less attention to you than you think.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

There isn't anything in there about women. Mainly because he doesn't really acknowledge that women exist. He never says that women can't do it either. Anyways theres no real difference in the program other than your starting weights may have to be lower. Also when you get into the higher weights you may need to go up 2.5 lbs or 1 lb increments instead of 5 to see gains.

As for being nervous I am a guy and I was scared as hell I was just going to get laughed at. Surely a 6'0 230lb guy should be lifting more than the bar right? I never even got a glance. Point being is most of it is in your head. Just have to get in there and do it. In a couple days you will feel comfortable. Also in my gym we have 3-4 women in the weight room at anytime. I never even notice them unless I'm just walking in. You'll probably find people pay way less attention to you than you think.

:laugh: I figured as much about the acknowledgement of women!

I weigh 169lb right now, approx LBM is 130-135. I have been reading about the weight of the bars but I am unsure as to what they actually weigh cause I work out at the YMCA. Not too sure what lb plates to add either. I usually lift 7lb dumbbells - it amazes me that in this program, one is expected to lift 45 (let alone 20 in my mind) to start.

I get hit on a lot at the gym and never see any women in the lifting area.. you probably can understand why I am apprehensive. Thanks for sharing your experience. It has given me some confidence cause it's true - most people are only paying attention to themselves.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options

Great comment, thanks!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the summary. I was more intimidated by the PDF than by the whole concept of strength training/weigh lifting for women. I mean, do I really have to read 200+ pages to learn how to lift.

THANKS BUNCHES

PS - I start my program tomorrow.
  • terriblyn
    terriblyn Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks, lady!

Bumping for future reference--
  • jenneyd
    jenneyd Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • FabulousKP