Body Fat % Goals

Options
I was recently able to measure my body fat to give me an even better idea were I am at! Which was NOT a good place. I found out I was at 40%, my goal is to get to 20%. What are you at and what are your goals?

Replies

• Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Mine is also 20%. I'm currently between 24% and 25% right now.
  • prisan512
    prisan512 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Mine is in the 40s% unfortunately... I'm taking this from my scale and calculations online. My goal is also 20%... Wondering how and how long it'll take to get there.... Good luck ladies on your journey!
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Mine is in the 40s% unfortunately... I'm taking this from my scale and calculations online. My goal is also 20%... Wondering how and how long it'll take to get there.... Good luck ladies on your journey!

Good luck to you too! I am afraid to find out what I was at when I started and weighed 189! My goal to get there doesn't really have a time frame, just want to try and do what is necessary to bring the percent down every week!
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    Mine is also 20%. I'm currently between 24% and 25% right now.

Motivating for me to see your % so low as I know how you eat and try and follow those same guidelines!
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    14-15% currently, goal is 9%
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Are there some good calculators out there for this? I have no idea what I am or where I should be around.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    Are there some good calculators out there for this? I have no idea what I am or where I should be around.

I purchased a handheld device that you enter things like age, height, and weight, and sex into and it figures it. Cost about $20, I am personally not aware of any formulas.
  • hilliardjoe
    hilliardjoe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Here is a site that computes it for you based on a couple of measurements.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/

Mine was just over 40% when I started Jan 1 and now it's down to 37% so it's moving in the right direction.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options

Mine was just over 40% when I started Jan 1 and now it's down to 37% so it's moving in the right direction.

Wow, great loss, and fast!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    currently 16%, goal 14%
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I started at 38% and am currently 23%.. I would have put around 20% as my goal, but that's only about 5 more pounds of fat.. so I think I'm shooting more for 18% or so :)
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    Awesome goals on here! I think mine could change too as I start loosing .
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I started at 5% BF, no idea what my BF is now and don't really have a goal besides getting up to 60KG. Well, considering I want most if not all of that weight to be lean mass rather than blubber, I'd say sub 10%. Not sure, really - but I'm half-way there!

Funny thing about BF%; sure, at a low percentage you're really defined and "toned", but unless you have muscle, it really doesn't count for crap - I could see "teh abz" on myself all year round, but due to a year of poor nutrition (not knowing what calories were and thus not substituting more in post-coeliac diagnosis) it was only because of a very low body fat - ie, doesn't count.
    Moral of the story? Sure, "abs are made in the kitchen", but muscle is made in the gym. And muscle trumps definition any day, IMO.

/endcoolstory
  • ajwolters
    Options

According to that site's calculation, mine is at 26.3%. I'm 5'6" and have a small/medium frame.

Sex: female
    Weight: 119 pounds
    Neck: 12.75 inches
    Waist: 29 inches
    Hip: 37.5 inches

Based on this information, you have a lean body mass of 87.7 pounds. Your lean body mass includes everything in your body that's not fat. Now that we know your lean body mass, let's find out how much fat you're carrying around. We'll subtract your lean body mass from your weight and find you currently have 31.3 pounds of fat on your body.

According the next page, http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/, I'm overweight. I entered 22% to see what it would say.

"You currently weigh 119 pounds with a body fat percentage of 26.3%. You would like to have a body fat percentage of 22%.

Based on this information, your goal body weight should be: 113 pounds"

I think if I lost 6 more pounds, I'd look skeletal.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options

According to that site's calculation, mine is at 26.3%. I'm 5'6" and have a small/medium frame.

Based on this information, you have a lean body mass of 87.7 pounds. Your lean body mass includes everything in your body that's not fat. Now that we know your lean body mass, let's find out how much fat you're carrying around. We'll subtract your lean body mass from your weight and find you currently have 31.3 pounds of fat on your body.

According the next page, http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/, I'm overweight. I entered 22% to see what it would say.

"You currently weigh 119 pounds with a body fat percentage of 26.3%. You would like to have a body fat percentage of 22%.

I agree, way too small for you! I would think the hand held devices or measuring devices is more accurate.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options

Funny thing about BF%; sure, at a low percentage you're really defined and "toned", but unless you have muscle, it really doesn't count for crap - I could see "teh abz" on myself all year round, but due to a year of poor nutrition (not knowing what calories were and thus not substituting more in post-coeliac diagnosis) it was only because of a very low body fat - ie, doesn't count.
    Moral of the story? Sure, "abs are made in the kitchen", but muscle is made in the gym. And muscle trumps definition any day, IMO.

/endcoolstory
    So very true!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

I agree, way too small for you! I would think the hand held devices or measuring devices is more accurate.

If you find that they *are* accurate' then IMO, you should set your calories 10-20% above maintenance and lift some heavy weights - build up a foundation of some muscle. Like what I'm doing. :3
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options

I don't think this was accurate... it said I had 9 % body fat... not even close... my electric scale is closer to 25%... I def know its not 9 lol.. i wish!
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Currently at 11% (measured 2 days ago hyrdostatically)
    Goal is 8% by summer.

Started paleo at 24% last year.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Currently 24%
    Goal: 17%