February Check-n-chat: Bada$$ B!tches do it with barbells

Options

Replies

• vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I think I've been unknowingly doing that breathing (belly, holding, etc.) when I've been doing my OHP, so whoot for me!!

So, I'm a nerd.

I made a squat poll...:laugh:
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1wxxghu9MPb9L-GYwoVHKEIFflUu2bVe9dcYZm7IRhio/viewform

Voted too! Can't remember which video now, but I remember hearing the person instructing say looking slightly upward would help bring the CHEST up too. Just bringing my chest up has helped me immensly. I think of it like driving... where your eyes go, so goes your car! :tongue:
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Whoop! A banner day to report -- at least for me.

Today was a B day, my fav. too (what is it about deadlifting?)

Squat: 80 #
    OHP: 46 # (s t u c k)
    Deaelift: 100 #!! Whoop! Felt so good!

@ fisherlassie:45# sounds like a welcome break, despite my excitement over progress. Just keep doing what you're doing. Can I just say I covet your squat cage?? I even covet the carpet under it. Basement floor is cold and hard for crunches.

Yes feel free to covet the cage!! It is absolutely wonderful!! I live in Canada so even with the rug my basement is freezing. It's ok for working out but I have to start out with lots of clothing.

Congratulations on your 100 lb DL!!!
  • fisherlassie
    Options
    Two weeks of lifting now! :smile: This morning:

Squat: 100 lbs of dumbbells (am very proud, ultimate goal is to lift bodyweight :love:)
    Benchpress: 50 lbs of dumbells (arm muscles are still itty bitty)
    Rows: 3 x 50, 2 x 60 lbs (these feel really awkward to do still, may keep it at this weight until I'm sure of form)

Congratulations on that 100 lb Squat!!! I keep thinking if I could just lose some more body weight I wouldn't have so far to go till I can lift it! lol!
  • fisherlassie
    Options
    Good morning ladies!!!

Last night I did 1x5 100# deadlift!! Only a few weeks into the SL program and I'm so proud of myself! I also increased my OHP and Squat by 5# each. I can just feel myself getting stronger and it freakin' rocks! :happy:

There is something so wonderful about that 100 isn't there!!! Congratulations!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Two weeks of lifting now! :smile: This morning:

Squat: 100 lbs of dumbbells (am very proud, ultimate goal is to lift bodyweight :love:)
    Benchpress: 50 lbs of dumbells (arm muscles are still itty bitty)
    Rows: 3 x 50, 2 x 60 lbs (these feel really awkward to do still, may keep it at this weight until I'm sure of form)

Congratulations on that 100 lb Squat!!! I keep thinking if I could just lose some more body weight I wouldn't have so far to go till I can lift it! lol!

I used to think that too! Like I'd be squatting 155 and thinking "if I was at goal, this would be bodyweight....." and I always thought I'd like, you know, meet in the middle somewhere (weight would go down, lifts would go up). But... nope!
  • fisherlassie
    Options
    I'm in my 10 week of Strong Lifts, but I'm new to this group- hi everyone!

I started at:

Squats- 50
    Chest Press- 30
    Row- 40
    Deadlifts- 40
    OHP- 30

Now at 10 weeks in:

Squats- 105
    Chest Press- 60
    Row- 75
    Deadlifts- 100
    OHP- 50

Feeling pretty good about my progress, although I'm taking it sort of slow with the weight adding to make sure I don't over do it. I also started doing 10 reps x 5 sets and as I add weight more frequently, I'm now doing the recommended 5 reps x 5 sets

That is awesome progress!! Fantastic work! Welcome to the group!
  • fisherlassie
    Options
    Brown belt in one year is very fast! We are coming up on two years. We started in the "parent" class which means we move through the levels with colored belts just like the kids. My son is blue belt and my husband and I are green belts. In the Adult class we are all white belts. It is too bad you didn't find another dojo. I think there really is a big difference between them. Our sensei is amazing. He is such a good example for our son. It's never too late!! ; )

True, it isn't too late, but (at least last time) it was about $100 a month, and right now I have the money, but it's being deferred into savings and student loan payments. So, at least for now, I'm in a holding pattern for expensive hobbies. :smile:

Had a fairly good day in the gym this morning. Stuck with 60lbs for squats, and hit them all fairly easily. Well, at least not struggling. I'm just sad at how weak my legs are. :cry:

Bench went really well, although I didn't go up in weight (I failed on the last rep last time). Got all 5x5 at 72.5; I'll probably go up to 75 next time. Stuck with 60 on my rows to make sure I was getting form right. While I picture squeezing my shoulder blades together, I still feel like I feel it more in my arms than my back. Argh. I've searched all over the internet for different videos. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. Sigh.

I did have a laugh because there was a guy on the squat rack when I first went in, so I started with bench again. He finished during my warm up sets, but I decided to just to them first anyways. He decided to use the other bench behind me to do reverse crunches/hip ups and used the bench bar to stabilize his upper body. At least he did until he ripped the bar off the stand. He did catch it before throwing it on his stomach. It's hard to do bench press when trying to not laugh... :devil: (Yes I'm a horrible person.)

Yes. We spend a lot on aikido. I might like to spend it elsewhere but I can't justify it because it is such a healthy family activity. Paying off student loans however trumps everything else!! Student loans are evil!
  • fisherlassie
    Options
    I thought my workout yesterday was a good one, and now today I woke up and every muscle in my body feels awesome. Not exactly sore...but they feel like they were used. They feel strong and my body feels hard. My abs feel like I did a straight ab workout, but I didn't. I feel great today!! I know it's my imagination, but I swear my body LOOKS better today, too. Excited to workout tomorrow!! I need to be better about adding EVERY time. I don't have faith in my strength, but I should! Reading over everyone's numbers and looking at your pictures makes me realize I should trust myself more. I can do it!

Kate I love that feeling! Vegas says that the technical term for that feeling is Badass!! ; )
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Sarahz & Vegas make me blush. I look like this except brown ->:blushing:

Knee is slowly getting better, but still a little swollen. And now I'm getting sick. I swear once a month I get deload/off week whether I want one or not.:grumble: Maybe thats why I haven't stalled yet. Hrmmm... I mean yay week off!!!!:happy:

Tameko that was a great belt post. You should copy paste into the F.A.Q. Also a little sad to hear my dream of squatting my body weight might not meet in the middle. I'll be a total bamf when I get it then. :laugh:

Lauren grats on 100. 100 is like the magic fun number. It's why things are often 99c. 100 SO MUCH MORE. :drinker:

Hi Arikag- Welcome to the group! Great numbers, and such a smart conservative view. I always want to lift a billion pounds and lift it NOW. Even when I tell myself I'm going to deload because I've missed a week it usually doesn't happen. >.>

Audii- I didn't really feel rows in my back until I hit a certain weight. Maybe your back is crazy strong from your sweet deads! You are only a little horrible. There is a lady at my gym who does machines, but like throws her whole body into the movement. It's hilarious. When she does hurt herself I will laugh, but feel bad about it!

Kate- I love the abs thing. I (#*^$(#&* hate crunches. They are in no way badass. They are like early 90's workout video torture.

I voted in the squat poll, but I was sad I couldn't see the results after I voted. :sad: I'm mostly neutral, but I do look in the mirror so I voted for other. Now Audii tells me it's bad. Time for a new strategy.

Hiit: it never hurts when you go to the Dr. Hope you feel better soon. I love warming up on spin bikes. I get excited if I workout a little later than normal after classes are done and I can snag one.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    I'll post the results tomorrow! :laugh:

I had a dream last night about doing deadlifts using Tameko's plate method. I need help. Oh, and I'm not even doing deads today.:sad:
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I voted in the squat poll, but I was sad I couldn't see the results after I voted. :sad: I'm mostly neutral, but I do look in the mirror so I voted for other. Now Audii tells me it's bad. Time for a new strategy.

There is a mirror like 6 inches from my power rack, too. It took a while to fight the urge to watch myself or anyone else in it. I now take on the "1,000 yard stare" and just kind of think so hard about what I am doing that I don't actually see anything going on right in from of me. It really bugs me that the mirror is right in your face.

Extraordinary - I can't wait to try her method tonight! However, I did not dream about it. Instead, I had a Red Dawn-esque dream where we were invaded by Iran. My dreams are always pretty strange.
  • LKG31
    LKG31 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I had an amazing workout last night, increased all my weights and had an awesome DL.... but my neck has been KILLING me all day today... constant throbbing, headache, muscle spasms, blah. It seems to be this way only after I have done the OHP. I took the advice of you ladies and had a wider stance and tried to relax my neck and last week it was much better after doing this. But now, not so much. Maybe next workout I should -5# that I added?? Stay at a lower weight until my neck gets stronger? :frown:
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Doing my third night, so workout A for the second time tonight.

Starting

squat - 55lb (smith machine)
    benchpress - 50lb (smith machine)
    barbell row - 55lb
    overhead press - 45lb (smith machine)
    deadlift - 80lb

Just wanted to post for accountability and to see how I progress...
  • zorreena
    zorreena Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    @ Tameko - thanks for repeating. I saved that info to Evernote. I think I will start doing that more from all the juicy infor you guys post.

@laurenlou - sounds like a good idea to lower weight until you figure out what's causing the neck pain.

Whoo hoo.

Squats @ 80
    OHP @ 40. I tried at 45 but failed my form after 3. Gonna do next day at 40 again and try 45 again after that.
    Deadlift @ 115

Next B workout I'm going to do all these weights again. All were very challenging today and I don't want to lose my form. Felt great about my deadlifts. Now my squats seem to be suffering which is why I'm going to continue at 80.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Oh my. I missed so much fun yesterday. I was chilling on the couch with an array of frozen vegetables on my leg. It was fun! Going to have to take a few days/week off lifting :sad: so everyone had better post their numbers :laugh: Today was supposed to be workout B which is my favorite. Boooo. I'm bored as heck so be prepared for a novel of post.

Nexangelus- I want to be like you when I grow up (as a lifter.) I love hearing your weights. Gives me something to shoot for.

Oooh, so many posts ladies, I really cannot keep up, so busy! : ) ^^^^^Sorry this cracked me up (made me laugh) Fittree....not the injury, the piccie, well you know, I think we have all been there and done the peas or the ice pack several times ugh! Don't forget the rest part of RICE. (mmm not so easy at times)

Thanks for the big up. I set challenges for myself which usually mean I have to end up changing my training. Am missing the heavy heavy lifting as a consequence. Am dreading upping running mileage next week.

Glad to see you all so strong and determined and on fire! I love coming in here, it is very motivating!

p.s. wanted to *****slap two young guys with a bad attitide in the gym this afternoon. I had set up oly bar to clean and press from bench (squat rack taken as per usual). Just as I was about to lift the bar onto the bench, two guys approached and asked if I was using the bench. I said yes I was thanks. They eyeballed each other and then me, then each other again, heads shaking and stalked off to find another bench. I just put my headphones back on and carried on. Wasn't like I was hogging the bench, the whole array of weights and the two oly bars (like some guys do regularly)....oh well, maybe I was the one with the attitude hehehehehe!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Wowee....leave the office for a day to do some actual work in from of actual customers and I miss SO DAMN MUCH!

I actually just wanted to share something funny I came across on youtube. If you search "awkward gym moments" some really funny shiit comes up. Highly recommend for a giggle!

@Fisher....didn't know you are in Canada! Where are you?!

I was also bragging to my colleague about all of us badass *****es and our ongoing badassery today. I think I even started to get her interested in lifting...here's to hoping!
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Super quick before I have to run off and make dinner:
    Squats: 125x3x5 (mother-effing BODY WEIGHT!)
    OHP: 65x3x5 (kinda ugly, but finally DONE...moving on to 70)
    Dead: Kept it easy again and did 145x5...and Tameko - I could kiss you, that warm up set up is perfect and so easy/simple! :smooched:

Ok, time to feed the lifting beast and her hungry hubz.

I will read up on your guys' adventures soon! :flowerforyou:
  • arikag
    arikag Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I thought my workout yesterday was a good one, and now today I woke up and every muscle in my body feels awesome. Not exactly sore...but they feel like they were used. They feel strong and my body feels hard. My abs feel like I did a straight ab workout, but I didn't. I feel great today!! I know it's my imagination, but I swear my body LOOKS better today, too. Excited to workout tomorrow!! I need to be better about adding EVERY time. I don't have faith in my strength, but I should! Reading over everyone's numbers and looking at your pictures makes me realize I should trust myself more. I can do it!

Way to go!!!

And thanks for the support and the warm welcome, all!! :)
  • vashnic
    Options
    Super quick before I have to run off and make dinner:
    Squats: 125x3x5 (mother-effing BODY WEIGHT!)
    OHP: 65x3x5 (kinda ugly, but finally DONE...moving on to 70)
    Dead: Kept it easy again and did 145x5...and Tameko - I could kiss you, that warm up set up is perfect and so easy/simple! :smooched:

Ok, time to feed the lifting beast and her hungry hubz.

I will read up on your guys' adventures soon! :flowerforyou:

Yay body weight what a badass!! :drinker: Haha, I feel like that is a major milestone in weightlifting for any of the lifts.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the newcomers!! I can't keep track of everyone--which is awesome!!

I fcking KILLED 100 lb squats today. When I reached all of my PR's before Christmas, I got to 102, but it sucked *kitten* and I hated it. Today, it was tough, but totally doable, so instead of inching towards 105, I'm hitting it on Saturday. I swear, eating more has been LIFE-CHANGING when it comes to my lifts. I'm also slowly losing my belly-pooch.

I did 82 lb bench last week, so today I was going to use the fractionals, but I left them in the car, so I sucked it up and did 85 pounds. It was tough, but I managed 4 sets of 5. I might have been able to get the 5th set, but per usual, I was the only girl in the weight room and between the high school kids and the men in the sausage convention, I didn't feel like asking for a spot.

Speaking of the sausage-fest, there were 5 guys on the power rack, but I just did bench and cable rows until they were almost done. I started squatting and they moved to the hip sled which is right next to the rack. One dude wasn't paying attention to where he was going and I almost clocked him in the forehead when I stepped back to start my set. Whoops! He at least had the courtesy to apologize to me because he wasn't looking where he was going.