February Check-n-chat: Bada$$ B!tches do it with barbells

Options

Replies

• fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Finally got the courage to use the Olympic bar instead of preloaded barbell for dead lifts as I was finding the 35kg too light.
    Managed to go straight to 50kg or 110ibs and could have lifted more so no idea what to go for next time. I ended up doing 10 instead of 5 and felt disappointed it wasn't harder.

Did squats with 50ibs and having finally managed to get them low, really felt it in my butt and legs. That was somewhat less than easy. I feel a bit of a wimp, truth told.

Still not managing to do 5 reps with the 50ib barbell n overheads yet which is disappointing. I can only manage 3 or 4 at a time and that is hard going.

Also don't understand why, even when I lift to point of not being able to lift anymore, I am not getting the doms I got the first few times. Never had that since. I get slightly stiff but that's about it.

Anyway, not sure anyone notices my posts given i am so new here, but ah we'll. I thought I may as well share.

Congratulations on using the olympic bar!! It doesn't sound like you are a wimp to me!! Great lifting! 50lb on the over head press is amazing!! That one is really hard for everyone!! I don't know what the more experienced lifters will say but I really don't think the goal is to get sore. I think you are just meant to progress as frequently as you can. The goal is to get stronger not sore. So it sounds to me like you are doing it all exactly right!! Keep up the great work!

have you seen the threads about using the really little weights like 1 lb to increase on the overhead press when 5 lb is too much? I think they call them fractionals. Vegas uses masking tape rolls and I bought some wrist weights.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Tameko I went for years without actually going barefoot. I would even wear my Birkenstocks to go to the bathroom in the night. I was so heavy and my arches were so weak and everything hurt so much back then. Now that we do aikido I am barefoot on the mat at the dojo and my feet have gotten much stronger. I do wear shoes most of the time but I'm not obsessive about it any more.

I was just thinking how much I miss aikido. Unfortunately I felt my sensei was handing out belts just to earn more money, and most of us weren't actually earning them (I was working on my brown when I left, and I had only been there about a year). Of course, that was about five years ago, so I guess I could have found another dojo since then, but I never did.

I finally had a workout that kicked my *kitten*. I tried squats at 65lbs, but my form was lacking, so I dropped down to 60. I'll be there for the week and then assess. For some reason I thought I had made it to 85 when I hurt my knee, but I was only to 65, so I've been too ambitious in adding 10lbs per week. So, I'll stick with adding 5 per week and making sure my form stays clean. Tried OHP at 52.5 and kind of made it through two sets. And DL finally felt difficult! Actually had to rest before moving the bar back to the squat rack to unload. My legs feel like jello. Finally! I've killed my upper body before, but nice to have finally killed the bottom half. Woohoo!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday Ladies!

@Graelwyn....welcome to the group! There is nothing wimpy about lifting regardless what stage you are at! The important this is that you are picking heavy things up and then putting them down :flowerforyou:

@Vette....great tip about hanging from the bar to stretch. I never would have thought about that and considering that I might start to train on pull ups in SL cycle 2 it might start to get me comfortable with just being up there.

@Sarah.....impressive loss dude! I'm hoping to have some good results at my next weigh in/measure at the end of the month. God knows it's about time! Good work!

@Fisher....I bought my "converse" style shoes from Payless and they totally work fine. They are that Airwalk brand and much cheaper :smile:

@Tameko....I'm thinking about your FAQ's thread and started thinking about deloading/rest breaks/how long to use the SL program.....mostly because this is what I'm thinking about right now so I've been reading on the SL site lots this weekend. Also thinking that links to Mehdi's youtube videos of complete workouts might be nice.

In other news: It was yoga and treadmill day for me. Did this yoga pose called like happy baby pose or something. Holy EFF that pose stretched parts of me that I didn't even know I had :laugh: Great pose and still loving my $14.99 yoga DVD!

Now I'm just really hungry. Time for a protein pancake!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Yay it sounds like everyone is having some great workouts. I went to that women's lifting seminar today and it was great. On the way there I slipped on the only patch of ice in the parking lot and landed right on my left knee cap. I hobbled back in the house, grabbed a bag of frozen veggies, and went on my way. Lol. Many ices for me and hoping i'm just going to be bruised a bit. Booooo ice. You belong in cocktails not next to my car!
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Yay it sounds like everyone is having some great workouts. I went to that women's lifting seminar today and it was great. On the way there I slipped on the only patch of ice in the parking lot and landed right on my left knee cap. I hobbled back in the house, grabbed a bag of frozen veggies, and went on my way. Lol. Many ices for me and hoping i'm just going to be bruised a bit. Booooo ice. You belong in cocktails not next to my car!

Do you have any gems to share with us?!
  • alwyndacara
    alwyndacara Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Glad to see everyone is still around and sorry for all those with injuries;hopefully they'll heal soon.

I've been sick for over a week and it's really starting to annoy me now. I haven't been to the gym in all that time and it's so frustrating :-(

I'm going to try something tomorrow though, I just HAVE to do something!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, First off I love reading about all your heavy lifting and the great results being achieved.

I have been doing stronglifts for a few months now, although I do have to leave out OHP's from the routine I have been slowly advancing with the rest of my lifts but yesterday I struggled a bit with my deadlift at 45.6 kilo. I was telling my hubby last night (he works away) and he said you are not lifting 45.5 kilo you are lifting 52.7 kilo. I didn't believe him of course.

I have just now weighed the bar (not sure why I didn't think of it before) and it weighs 7.1 kilo. So I have infact been lifting over 52 kilo. WIN
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Stoopid ice! Sorry you're hurty!

I was going to lift today butas those of you on my FL know, I'm either having a bout of appendicitis or I has REALLY bad gas. Either way, I'm not doing much of anything today. I even cancelled my massage, so you know it's serious!:wink:

Happy baby is a fab pose!

Being sick and missing workouts suck, so I feel you Alwyn.

Question: I'm going for 135 deadlifts on Tuesday, which would be 45 lbs on each side. I do, however, want to warm up. Should I warm up with the smaller weights and then just cobble together 45 lbs for my work sets, or should I strip and stick the 45's on? I know it will be easier to just add weight as needed, but how badass would dealifting 45 lb plates look? :laugh:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Stoopid ice! Sorry you're hurty!

I was going to lift today butas those of you on my FL know, I'm either having a bout of appendicitis or I has REALLY bad gas. Either way, I'm not doing much of anything today. I even cancelled my massage, so you know it's serious!:wink:

Happy baby is a fab pose!

Being sick and missing workouts suck, so I feel you Alwyn.

Question: I'm going for 135 deadlifts on Tuesday, which would be 45 lbs on each side. I do, however, want to warm up. Should I warm up with the smaller weights and then just cobble together 45 lbs for my work sets, or should I strip and stick the 45's on? I know it will be easier to just add weight as needed, but how badass would dealifting 45 lb plates look? :laugh:

I'd strip, mostly because I like being naked.

Wait. I mean, because I like the height that the bar is at with the 45s, and I hate lifting from plates. Normally what we do is we put a set of 45s down on the ground, then put a set of 35s on top of them, then put 25s on the bar and use the plates on the floor to get the bar at the right height. Warm up with the 95s, then put the 25s away and put on the 35s, then lift from just the 45s again. Then put the35s away and put the 45s on. It pretty much gets the height just right, and its fairly efficient.

You can add 10s into that rotation, so first warmup at 65-75 (put some 5s on with the 10s), then 95, then 115, then 135 if you like.

If you do the above, I'd do something along the lines of 4 reps at 65/75, 3 reps at 95, 2 at 115 (60-90 s between sets for rest), then give yourself a full 3 minutes rest and do 135.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Cool, that makes sense.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Sarah - your new pictures are awesome, I see huge changes from your old ones. you look much firmer and more -- shapely? I guess? something like that.

Well, in full disclosure, I was also flexing in the new ones and not in the old ones. :laugh: But thank you!!! It's about 20 pounds, 4 inches at the waist, 6 inches at the navel, and 2-3 inches at chest, hips, etc.

I think I forgot to mention, Vette, I was going to say your shoulders are looking amazing too!! You astound me every time you post, because I think you already can't get any hotter.

I finally got to the point where the deads feel like work - 125 lbs for me. Oh! Also... I think both Rippetoe and Mehdi suggest doing up to four warm up sets, especially if you enjoy deads. So I always do 3 or 4 warm ups, progressing up something like 65 lbs, 85 lbs, 105 lbs, then my work weight. Feels less anticlimactic!

Hi Graelwyn!!! :flowerforyou:

Hi there :) impressive loss of inches, kudos to you.
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Thanks! There are still so many to go though. :D

Tameko, that is the most elegant plan I have ever read. I adore it. I just wish I had 35s at the gym to make it a reality. :D
  • vashnic
    Options
    Yay fourth 5x5 session!

Am still using dumbbells and the EZ barbells, though I might finally woman up and head to the campus gym's stinky mancave to use real (Olympic) weights. I feel having the bar 3 inches off the ground is restricting my deadlift-ability. My back! :sick:

Squats: 80 lbs.
    Presses: 50 lbs. x 4 and then my arms went on strike :sad: But I have finally gone beyond the minimum Mehdi input weight :drinker:
    Deadlift: 90 lbs.

All you ladies lifting 100+ pounds are inspirational! :love: :love:

What does everyone think about doing consecutive day workouts for low weights? Weights lifted are getting bigger by ~10lbs each time, but muscles certainly are not bigger :laugh:, so this seems kinda psychological/endurance based. Or maybe supplementing with pushups/planks?
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I finally busted throught 75lbx3x4 on the bench press. I can't wait to see the epic fail that will be me bench pressing 80lbs, lol.
    Squatted 96% body weight - I am soooo close, but form was starting to break down on the last set. I will keep it there for at least one more session before I try to do body weight. I did rows again for the first time in months today. I can't help pulling it up to my chest with my biceps, instead of using my back. Maybe I should drop the weight low and just work on form again :sad:

I posted a form check thread in the forum. Have fun ripping it apart.

You ladies are all doing killer! I am excited to see all the new peeps getting their lift on! It really will be the best fitness decision you will ever make - not that you need any one of us to tell you!

Tameko - I am totally using that deadlift warmup plan...its beautiful and genius!
  • tameko2
    Options
    Vashnic - don't do consecutive days of SL. Take a rest day. If you really feel like you've got the juice to do something in between, bodyweight stuff might be ok, but otherwise just enjoy the rest really.

I squatted 167.5x5 today. It was awesome.
  • zorreena
    zorreena Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Okay I really wanted to search through our forums not to ask the same question again BUT gonna do it anyway.

I'm really struggling with form on my rows. I did my first two sets and then gave up until Thursday whe my trainer is there. I watched all sorts of videos last night but I can't seem to find the right position where my back stays flat. If I go to a 45 degree incline I can do it but then the bar is coming down to my knees and I should be lifting from the floor. I'm feeling really frustrated about it.

Otherwise I completed my weights.

Squat 75
    BP 50 next BP day ill use the big girl bar with two 2.5lbs. Right now I just use the preloaded from the rack.
    Row 75 tried two reps if 5 then was mad about my form and quit. I did a warm up set with same awkward feeling.

I hope i dont lose my form with dead lifts on Tuesday. Last workout was with the trainer and I nailed it!
  • tameko2
    Options
    have you set the barbell up on plates zorreena?

Do what I described for deadlifts (a few posts up here). Put some plates on the floor and set the bar on top of it. Basically try to get it elevated to where it would be ify ou had 45s on there. Makes a BIG difference.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I have a confession to make. I was setting up for my deadlifts this evening. It would have been faster and easier to load smaller plates, working up to my work-weight of 165. But I couldn't resist using the 45's, not just for the elevation, but because they make me feel like a BAMF!

Who else?
  • zorreena
    zorreena Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    have you set the barbell up on plates zorreena?

Do what I described for deadlifts (a few posts up here). Put some plates on the floor and set the bar on top of it. Basically try to get it elevated to where it would be ify ou had 45s on there. Makes a BIG difference.

Thanks I will try that. I was so mad I couldn't make it work. So I will totally try that on Thursday.
  • faeriewings1
    faeriewings1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

Fairywings- Not to be obvious, but maybe your wings are affecting your bar placement? Make sure you're really flexing your back so you have a place to rest. I saw a video and the guy said you want to imagine you're doing a back bicep

Haha I leave my wings at home when at the gym :) thanks for the advice, will try it out next time, however I hurt my back this morning just sitting down (wtf?) And I have minor surgery on Wednesday so no 5x5 two weeks, I am very very devastated about the 2 week break :(