February Check-n-chat: Bada$$ B!tches do it with barbells

Replies

• extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Serial posting because my husband is throwing darts down the street and I'm drinking alone...

I had an NSV today!! I rec center that I usually don't go to is newer and has these...um...clampy-thingys for the end of the bar Oh, they're spring collars. Anyway, the last time I was there...about a month ago, I needed to use both hands to grip them tight enough to loosen enough to slide on/off the bar.

Today, however, I just needed ONE HAND.

Ooh, yeah.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Serial posting because my husband is throwing darts down the street and I'm drinking alone...

I had an NSV today!! I rec center that I usually don't go to is newer and has these...um...clampy-thingys for the end of the bar Oh, they're spring collars. Anyway, the last time I was there...about a month ago, I needed to use both hands to grip them tight enough to loosen enough to slide on/off the bar.

Ooh, yeah.

Yay! Ours are bent, so I'm back to needing two hands. How they got bent is beyond me...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

Ooh, yeah.

Ha, I so know what you mean, that's always awesome. Although most of the ones at my gym are plastic, and you rotate a lever to lock them. I like the spring ones, but the plastic ones are actually easier to get down the bar since they open up more.

Everyone is throwing up some amazing weight, and congrats to everyone with PRs. Keep up the good work. I'm about to go to the park and die...
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Hey ladies, I feel the need to post today! I've never posted in the check-n-chat, but I have posted on a few other Stronglifts topics, including one earlier this week where I whined about being tired and not making huge gains and threatened to give up Stronglifts.

But, largely because of all of you, I've decided to stick to it, and I had an AWESOME workout last night. Squat 5x5 at 110, OP 5x5 at 57, and DL 1x5 of 150. RAWR!!!

Thanks to all of you for being so positive and encouraging all the time.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Quick check-in before I get lost in housecleaning and playing Skyrim for the rest of the day (ohhh yeaaaaa):

Got up to 55 lbs on squats today (PR). Maybe 60 next time? Woop woop.

OHL are still weaksauce at 45 lbs. It's taking my left arm/shoulder forever to catch up! Still better than dumbbells although 3 sets are still a struggle, and that last lift takes everything I've got to not drop the bar on my head (which is my motivator :laugh: ).

Got up to 100 lb on deadlifts today (also PR). Getting more comfortable with it, and my form. I expect to keep adding now that I think I've got the form down. They're fun!

Sloooowly getting there! And the scale finally budged to below 200. Yay!

@chunk: Congrats on the PRs. Feels awesome, doesn't it? I smiled from ear to ear today after I was done. Couldn't help it.

@extra: Love those NSVs! Grip strength matters too!

Happy weekend ladies!!!! Keep beasting it!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Happy Saturday Beautiful Ladies!

I so love that we are constantly having new people join our thread....and some serious BADASS ladies throwing up serious numbers to boot! Whoop!

I so super happy with my workout today as it marks my last workout in my first cycle of SL! I have never followed the same program for 12 weeks before, let alone plan to do a second cycle! I'm so happy :bigsmile: Here are my final 12 week numbers! Oh and I started with the bar for all lifts:

Squat 5x5 @ 150#
    Bench 5,5,5,5,4 @ 63# (damn I tried so effing hard to push out that last rep but alas, had to use my safety chains for the first time since I got my rack :grumble: )
    Row 5x5 @ 85#
    OHP 5,4,3,3,3 @ 53#
    DL 1x5 @ 155#

Plus some glute bridges and yoga of course :happy:

I plan to start cycle 2 on March 4 so that I can make next week a deload week and then start to build from then again. I'm so super excited to have a tiny break on the heavy *kitten* but I'm pretty sure I'll be antsy to get back to progressively loading in one week!

Yay!!!!
  • DaniH826
    Squat 5x5 @ 150#
    Bench 5,5,5,5,4 @ 63# (damn I tried so effing hard to push out that last rep but alas, had to use my safety chains for the first time since I got my rack :grumble: )
    Row 5x5 @ 85#
    OHP 5,4,3,3,3 @ 53#
    DL 1x5 @ 155#

Wow you do everything in the same session? ... how??

*faints*
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Squat 5x5 @ 150#
    Row 5x5 @ 85#
    OHP 5,4,3,3,3 @ 53#
    DL 1x5 @ 155#

Wow you do everything in the same session? ... how??

Oh God no! :laugh: Those are my overall final numbers at the end of my first cycle :smile: Today was workout A!

*faints*
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    *Wonders how long one needs to post here before people accept you and respond to your posts* :)
  • DaniH826
    *Wonders how long one needs to post here before people accept you and respond to your posts* :)

Couple weeks.

Or ... right now.

:bigsmile:
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member

I found it was instantaeous acceptance....;) I'm not one of the older members (or the holy grail as I refer to you ladies) but I'm happy to welcome you!!

join the badassery...(<----yeah I love that word..heheh)

@the holy grail....you ladies are doing some awesome, awesome numbers...I'm really impressed. I can't imagine hitting those numbers..I will eventually...

@extra thank you for the example...I know I'm not very patient, get discouraged easily...but I am a fighter and with all this encouragement I certainly won't give up.

not an nsv at all...I ate like a boss yesterday...and I still have a food baby today (popped out stomach) and yet I don't regret it...lol...I did avoid eating cake until this morning, when I could plan it into my calories...

yeah!
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Made the mistake of trying out a boxing fitness class a few hours after lifting, and boy do I feel it today. Never felt such bad aching muscles...legs and arms and shoulders, lol. I had assumed the boxing would be just sparring, but she had us doing a set of 50 crunches, followed by a minutes long plank, followed by repeats of the same in slightly lower numbers, as well as squats, lunges, pushups, skipping, sparring, running around and ouch, oh my. First time I have experienced this degree of muscle ache.

Also starving hungry now, the day after.
    Even after having chicken breast, sweet potato, a pound of vegetables and some butter for dinner, lol.

I get really hungry when I work out too. Exercise is definitely not an appetite suppressant for me! It sounds like you are feeding yourself really well! Great dinner!
  • Graelwyn75
    Made the mistake of trying out a boxing fitness class a few hours after lifting, and boy do I feel it today. Never felt such bad aching muscles...legs and arms and shoulders, lol. I had assumed the boxing would be just sparring, but she had us doing a set of 50 crunches, followed by a minutes long plank, followed by repeats of the same in slightly lower numbers, as well as squats, lunges, pushups, skipping, sparring, running around and ouch, oh my. First time I have experienced this degree of muscle ache.

Also starving hungry now, the day after.
    Even after having chicken breast, sweet potato, a pound of vegetables and some butter for dinner, lol.

I get really hungry when I work out too. Exercise is definitely not an appetite suppressant for me! It sounds like you are feeding yourself really well! Great dinner!

Thanks, yes I try to eat well, though I cannot deny I have yet to break free of my status as a chocoholic, lol.
  • Graelwyn75

I found it was instantaeous acceptance....;) I'm not one of the older members (or the holy grail as I refer to you ladies) but I'm happy to welcome you!!

join the badassery...(<----yeah I love that word..heheh)

@the holy grail....you ladies are doing some awesome, awesome numbers...I'm really impressed. I can't imagine hitting those numbers..I will eventually...

@extra thank you for the example...I know I'm not very patient, get discouraged easily...but I am a fighter and with all this encouragement I certainly won't give up.

not an nsv at all...I ate like a boss yesterday...and I still have a food baby today (popped out stomach) and yet I don't regret it...lol...I did avoid eating cake until this morning, when I could plan it into my calories...

yeah!

Thanks, always daunting when you walk into anywhere, even an online group, where people have sort of been for awhile.
  • Graelwyn75

Couple weeks.

Or ... right now.

Lol, I hope so, kinda hard starting out with this alone. I have debated hiring a trainer for one session just to make sure I have the correct form.
  • DaniH826
    Thanks, yes I try to eat well, though I cannot deny I have yet to break free of my status as a chocoholic, lol.

Why would anyone want to? I intend to remain a chocoholic for life.
    Lol, I hope so, kinda hard starting out with this alone. I have debated hiring a trainer for one session just to make sure I have the correct form.

Finding a trainer for a session is a good idea ... BUT ... keep in mind that trainers are only as good as their training, and just because they're certified doesn't mean they have good lifting form (or even know about it).

I suggest you watch the Stronglifts videos and also Mark Rippetoe's (Starting Strength) videos. I play Rippetoe's videos on my tablet often during workouts (did again today) to make sure my form is good.
  • Graelwyn75

Why would anyone want to? I intend to remain a chocoholic for life.

Finding a trainer for a session is a good idea ... BUT ... keep in mind that trainers are only as good as their training, and just because they're certified doesn't mean they have good lifting form (or even know about it).

I suggest you watch the Stronglifts videos and also Mark Rippetoe's (Starting Strength) videos. I play Rippetoe's videos on my tablet often during workouts (did again today) to make sure my form is good.

Yes, I have watched the stronglifts video, not come across the Starting Strength videos though.
    I have figured I may have been squatting with the barbell in the wrong place, judging from the video. I have been squatting with it resting on my upper back but in the video, he looks as if he is holding the bar slightly away from his back, unless I am seeing it wrong ?
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    OMG ladies!!! My abs are so sore today...I'm so excited! I thought last night's workout was a bomb..but obviously I did something right...woooot!!!!

got my badassery feeling back!!!!

• zorreena
    zorreena Posts: 267 Member

Yes, I have watched the stronglifts video, not come across the Starting Strength videos though.
    I have figured I may have been squatting with the barbell in the wrong place, judging from the video. I have been squatting with it resting on my upper back but in the video, he looks as if he is holding the bar slightly away from his back, unless I am seeing it wrong ?
    [/quote]

I think the bar should be resting on your trapezius muscles. Not an expert on this as I'm pretty new. The trainer I am using one but she is pretty new to weightlifting and I think she isn't always sure about correct form either. Luckily 5 trainer sessions came free with my membership I won in a draw. I am still struggling with form on rows and I just completed session 12 in the SL app. So I expect my correct comfortable form will come with time as long as I keep in mind this is still new for me. I'm still learning something new about my body every session.

Some crossfit videos give great instructions for lifting as well.
  • Graelwyn75
    I think the bar should be resting on your trapezius muscles. Not an expert on this as I'm pretty new. The trainer I am using one but she is pretty new to weightlifting and I think she was showing me rows wrong. She has a serious fore arm tendinitis or something from WLing. It was so bad she took last week off. She said fr rows to just let the bar hang in my straight arms rather than return to the floor. I could feel the strain on my own arms and last lifting session took these ladies suggestions and piled up weights to raise the bar to a more comfortable level. I am still struggling with form on rows and I just completed session 12 in the SL app.

Some crossfit videos give great instructions for lifting as well.

I only just started doing rows, believe it or not as it took me that long to find out what they are lol. I was told to use a step rather than lift them from floor level, so yeah, i was not putting them back down on the floor either. I asked two guys doing them why they used the step.