is fruit my undoing?

Options
2»

Replies

• ajourney2beme
    ajourney2beme Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Great topic. I've been struggling with my fruit too. I'm like you OP i could eat 3lb of grapes NP. I used to live off apples, bananas, and oranges as snacks throughout my day to keep me from wanting snacks. I've been trying to cut back to 1 fruit a day .. but now might have to try every other day! I know a LOT of my carbs were coming from fruit though.

Good luck!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion: Don't sit down with a bag of grapes if you know you'll finish them all. Grab a bowl, put a good sized serving in there then put the grapes away. Enjoy them with a big glass of water than wait a few minutes for your body to decide whether or not its still hungry.

I'm discovering a lot of the things (foods and behaviors) that set me up for failure and learning to avoid them. Portion control and planning meals out ahead of time is for me the absolute biggest factor in my recent success.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Great topic. I've been struggling with my fruit too. I'm like you OP i could eat 3lb of grapes NP. I used to live off apples, bananas, and oranges as snacks throughout my day to keep me from wanting snacks. I've been trying to cut back to 1 fruit a day .. but now might have to try every other day! I know a LOT of my carbs were coming from fruit though.

Good luck!

One thing to keep in mind that eating fruit as a snack will spike your blood sugar, causing an insulin response...etc. So, if you're having a piece of fruit, be sure to eat some fat (and maybe protein too!) with it to help balance the blood sugar response. For example, eat cheese or almonds with your grapes (or both!), or smear some peanut butter or almond butter on your apple slices.
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm discovering a lot of the things (foods and behaviors) that set me up for failure and learning to avoid them. Portion control and planning meals out ahead of time is for me the absolute biggest factor in my recent success.

excellent point!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    mindless nibbling...

I didn't start REALLY dropping weight until I lowered my carbs to 50g (really, 50-75) and sugar to 25g.

I used to be a mindless nibbler. I knew I had to curb it if I was to succeed. Mindless nibbleing - whether it's on fruit or candy - is still an unhealthy habit. For me, planning ahead is CRUCIAL for my success. I pack my lunches AND my snacks. I don't have stuff at my desk which allows me to mindlessly nibble. To me, this whole paleo/primal thing, is about setting up healthy habits that I can maintain for life. FOR ME, I've found if I eat every 2-3 hours (coffee at 7, snack at 9, lunch at 11:30, snack at 2:30, dinner at 5:30, eve snack at 8:30), I don't get so hungry that I'm grabbing anything within arms reach. It also eliminates mindless nibbles. I KNOW what I'm going to eat, and I KNOW where my calories/macros are going to be. I've also found, I plan much better when I'm not hungry!

I guess my point here is to really do a TRUE self evaluation. What are YOUR triggers? What are YOUR bad habits. Then decide HOW you can deal with those - or if you're truly willing to do it.

I thought giving up sugar was going to be hard (that sugar monster and I were best buds!!) - Once I started eating whole foods, plenty of protein and lots of fat, I found the sugar monster had moved away. The cravings for sugar (and simple carbs - bread, crackers, chips, etc.) are GONE.
  • Ericaalicia0608
    Ericaalicia0608 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I remember reading somewheres, can't remember where, that women on the paleo diet that wish to lose weight, should limit their fruit intake, fruit every other day I guess , not everyday. This isn't the article I read but another one I found

http://everydaypaleo.com/the-skinny-on-fruit/

I remember reading that article too. It is one of the reasons I tried lowering my carbs to 50 g and under. I have been dropping pounds ever since. I only eat more carbs like sweet potatoes on workout days. The only fruits I eat are berries and occasionally HALF a banana but like someone said.. Sugar is Sugar. :wink:
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    well, i can eat 3lbs of grapes without even noticing i've opened the bag!

Ha! You're as bad as I am.

My advice: whenever you get a craving for fruit, eat a starch. Bake a potato or sweet potato in your microwave and scoff it down. Works for me, every time.

Go ahead and try that, but it may not work for everyone. I am completely derailed by sugar AND starch. I have to tread lightly with both.
  • Ericaalicia0608
    Ericaalicia0608 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This might help. # 13 and 21
    http://www.modernpaleo.com/principles.html
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I remember reading somewheres, can't remember where, that women on the paleo diet that wish to lose weight, should limit their fruit intake, fruit every other day I guess , not everyday. This isn't the article I read but another one I found

http://everydaypaleo.com/the-skinny-on-fruit/

I remember reading that article too. It is one of the reasons I tried lowering my carbs to 50 g and under. I have been dropping pounds ever since. I only eat more carbs like sweet potatoes on workout days. The only fruits I eat are berries and occasionally HALF a banana but like someone said.. Sugar is Sugar. :wink:

exactly, our bodies don't know where the sugar is coming from, sugar is sugar.. cab is a carb....i reduced my fruit intake big time because of that.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options

Good luck!

One thing to keep in mind that eating fruit as a snack will spike your blood sugar, causing an insulin response...etc. So, if you're having a piece of fruit, be sure to eat some fat (and maybe protein too!) with it to help balance the blood sugar response. For example, eat cheese or almonds with your grapes (or both!), or smear some peanut butter or almond butter on your apple slices.

yes, this^. and do savor your treats. we all should be able to.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

i've got mixed feelings on this.

On one hand - yes, fat and protein are quite satiating and could dull the later cravings for more fruit, no denying it. However, on the other hand, cheese, almonds and nut butters are *very* easy to consume, aren't very satiating and are very calorically dense - what could be a minor 300kcal splurge of grapes could become a 1000kcal splurge of grapes, cheese and nuts. i've seen it happen. Not pretty.

My advice to OP is:
    -Consume starch over fruit, i.e., potatoes, carrot sticks, etc.
    OR
    -Go for less calorically dense fruits, like berries. A bowl of berries contains barely any calories and can be quite satiating.

I would never suggest anyone cut fruit out completely - 'tis natures candy, after all - but moderation certainly is a factor that needs to be put in place.

...also, this might come as weird, but for a little extreme end to cravings, I'd do what I call a "over-the-top-fruit-refeed". Why? Well, like i said: I get crazy over fruit, too, and in the past this has helped me and others.
    Get a bag of fruit - say, four pounds of apples, or whatever fruit you're craving, and have it for dinner. Yes, dinner. make a whole meal out of it. Now, I want you to do your very best to eat all of it. Every, single bite, regardless of caloric intake - save them up for this, if you have to.
    I *HIGHLY* doubt you'll even want to think about fruit in the morning. :P
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options

...also, this might come as weird, but for a little extreme end to cravings, I'd do what I call a "over-the-top-fruit-refeed". Why? Well, like i said: I get crazy over fruit, too, and in the past this has helped me and others.
    Get a bag of fruit - say, four pounds of apples, or whatever fruit you're craving, and have it for dinner. Yes, dinner. make a whole meal out of it. Now, I want you to do your very best to eat all of it. Every, single bite, regardless of caloric intake - save them up for this, if you have to.

i wish that was my problem. i can happily eat a whole watermelon a day! grapes, strawberries, satsumas/tangerines etc - i just don't have a stop button lol.
  • SnicciFit
    Options

I see what you're trying to do, but it seems like this would be a recipe for blood sugar/insulin/leptin disruption, which cause all sorts of trouble, including terrible sleep that night.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

I see what you're trying to do, but it seems like this would be a recipe for blood sugar/insulin/leptin disruption, which cause all sorts of trouble, including terrible sleep that night.

Yep.

And you won't even want to lay a finger on a fruit for a good while. :D Won't do any dangerous long term damage, either.
  • mandabrett
    mandabrett Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert either but one thing that separates this lifsstyle from diets is that this is intended to be a journey toward health with weight loss as an added benefit. With that being said I have some fat to lose myself. I love the paleo health and fitness podcast from everyday paleo. It has dramatically changed my perspective on this topic.
  • AuntieKT
    AuntieKT Posts: 235 Member
    Options

Good luck!

I agree with this post on everything except the peanut butter... no peanut butter! They are legumes and should be avoided...at least if you are doing paleo. I'm not sure about primal, maybe they are allowed there.
  • SnicciFit
    Options

Good luck!

I agree with this post on everything except the peanut butter... no peanut butter! They are legumes and should be avoided...at least if you are doing paleo. I'm not sure about primal, maybe they are allowed there.

I agree, I generally stay away from peanut butter, but if it's gonna get somebody to have a little fat & protein with their apple, I say "eat it!" Almond butter would be a better choice.