February Check-n-chat: Bada$$ B!tches do it with barbells

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Horrid, horrid workout today. But I am blaming my most horrid-est sleep last night. I am pointing my finger at it and narrowing my eyes.

I am also doing some pushups and dips to make myself feel better. I'm a weirdo, I know.

Anyone do tricep pushups? Dear Lord, I find them SO HARD.

Sorry your workout didn't go well, and yes you're crazy since you use pushups and dips to console yourself. And I can't do a normal pushup yet, so I'm out! for triceps :laugh:
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Back to "normal" from my deload time.

I thought I'd just hop right back to the weight I was at before, but I discovered that isn't happening.

Pre-deload Squats were at 145....I did 5 at that, then did 4 sets at 125 (I think I can go up to 135 next time)

Previously Bench Press was a t 75, I did 65 today and it was hard

Previously Rows were at 100, went down to 95, but I'm still not sure I'm doing it right. I think I need my husband to watch the video a few times and come with me on Sunday to help me with form.

I feel like I've backtracked, but my knee pain is almost totally gone.

So, I guess it is time to work back up and past where I was before. Wish me luck.
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Horrid, horrid workout today. But I am blaming my most horrid-est sleep last night. I am pointing my finger at it and narrowing my eyes.

I am also doing some pushups and dips to make myself feel better. I'm a weirdo, I know.

You are a weirdo.....but that's OK, lots of us are!

I can't even do a single good pushup yet. My upper body strength is just terrible.

Hope your next workout goes better!
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Love tricep dips - but only because I CAN do them! It's like celebrating reaching a goal. I'm a recovered torn-and-fixed-rotator cuff girl.
    Horrid sleep here too. I wake up several times a night and curse any light I see.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Wow, I missed a lot being MIA for a day!

@darwin, I love your vows they are sweet and obviously reflect your personalities.

@bad sleepers....count me in I've spent far more time crying than sleeping this last week.

@eating more .... ugh.

Yesterday I woke up so tired and weak that I had trouble walking across the room. I have NO idea what that was about, even left work and slept most of the afternoon. By evening I felt almost normal, but decided I still shouldn't go lift heavy ****. I've felt weak like this ever since I upped my intensity at the gym. Have been taking iron pills which helped tremendously! I've been working towards meeting my protein macro everyday...but wonder if anyone else has ever experienced anything like this.

Planning on hitting Workout B tonight...still feel guilty for not doing it yesterday.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Finally back to the gym tonight. A light bike ride (no hills, maybe only 10-12k) then some deloaded weights is on my plan.

Darwin - love the vows. We're part-way through writing ours for August!

Food - I'm feeling like a complete pig for eating So Much Meat just trying to hit 90-100g a day of protein. I've been about 50% vegetarian for years, so it's really weird eating 8oz portions, and then eating them more than once a day. Maybe I should just start drinking protein shakes for some of it? Or buy a tofu farm or something?
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options

Just remind yourself - at some point, your diet becomes your daily intake and you have to LIVE with it. Better make sure its an amount you can live with.

Beautifully put!

I can sure live with more than 1400 calories/day for the rest of my life! :wink:

I am just so flipping excited that I found something that I LIKE to do! I like belly dancing, too, but it isn't going to do for me what lifting will...
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I started getting white hairs when I was 13 too! And it hasn't stopped. I swear if I didn't dye my hair (I do it at home), I'd age myself a good 10 years... I've now got a lot of white hairs and I'm only 27! Sigh.

I rocked last night's workout!
    Squat 5X5 120lbs
    BP 5X5 50lbs! Finally! I didn't fail! Woot woot!
    Deadlift 5X5 135lbs! I had to switch too mixed grip (I think that's what it's called) though to pick up the last two. My grip was failing, even with gloves. Sigh. Is that normal? Is that "ok"?
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Wow! I finally read through the bulk of this thread and feel like I have gotten to know a bunch of you, already. :flowerforyou:

My goals for the rest of this month are to:
    A) Get my squat form right, even though it will kick me in the ego to stay light until it's right. I know an injury-free back will thank me for it later.

Ha, I totally know how you feel. Thanks to the stupid left knee, I'm only squatting 65, and progressing very slowly. I'm deadlifting more than double that, and benching more than that. The only thing lagging behind my squats is the OHP (which was developed by the devil. And Loki. They conspired...)

Really? It makes me feel super good to know I'm not some weird anomaly of anatomy, LOL...BTW, Auddii, your pictures look amazing! I meant to mention that last nite. :smile:
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Finally back to the gym tonight. A light bike ride (no hills, maybe only 10-12k) then some deloaded weights is on my plan.

Darwin - love the vows. We're part-way through writing ours for August!

Food - I'm feeling like a complete pig for eating So Much Meat just trying to hit 90-100g a day of protein. I've been about 50% vegetarian for years, so it's really weird eating 8oz portions, and then eating them more than once a day. Maybe I should just start drinking protein shakes for some of it? Or buy a tofu farm or something?

We're country folk, so we're used to eating quite a bit of meat, and I still find it takes quite a bit of effort to hit 100g. Plus at some point I get tired of THAT much chicken, or eggs, or whatever. Some days I get there without a protein shake (I think yesterday I ended up at about 97 or so?) but more often I just have a shake at some point. Usually breakfast or mid-afternoon. I don't mind because I add in lots of stuff to make them taste good. And I don't mind that that adds in the extra calories because I can spare them at the level I eat. I don't like it if you're eating SO low that you're avoiding bananas or other good stuff because it adds too many calories.

For breakfast I usually make a vanilla shake and throw in a bunch of frozen fruit. Midafternoon I usually make a chocolate one and add in extra cocoa and chocolate pudding powder. Also I put cottage cheese in mine and it makes it more milkshakey. (I hate cottage cheese by itself but you can't taste it if you blend it well.) I get my basic protein shake ideas from dashingdish.com.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    EAT DAMMIT EAT!!!!! Ha!

I noticed a HUGE difference in my lifts when I upped my calories a bit....only up a couple hundred calories and increased my protein to try to hit between 130-150g/day. Big damn difference!

Workout this morning was meh at best.

Squat 5x5 @ 150#
    OHP 5,4,3,3,3 @ 53# (ugh!)
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 155# (tried to go for 160 and NO GO EFF!!!!!!)

I can't wait until deload week next week! :bigsmile:

ETA that I am a big fan of protein powder! I just bought the cheap protein from Walmart and I was really scared but I really like it....well the cookies and cream one that I have anyway! Today I think I will go buy some vanilla! I am also going to try a recipe for protein oat berry cookies I just found last night! Protein powder with greek yogurt! Yummo! Protein pancakes! Yummo! Eating too much meat makes me have the meat sweats and I really don't like that so much :laugh:
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I just don't know how you guys have a hard time getting protein in, lol. Like, unless I am eating light to plan for a night out or some cocktails, I never get under 100g. I average around 140g - 160g without really even trying. But I can eat the same thing all the time - if you like a my diary, I have the same thing for breakfast, lunch and snacks all work week.

I am starting to notice that my recovery is taking longer. My muscles - not so much, but I am really feeling it in my tendons and ligaments. I have already failed my Feb. goals, I don't even get 10,000 steps unless I hit the treadmill (which means I have to eat more, so I dropped it) and I forgot to do yoga last week.

Last night's workout:
    Squats: 135x3x5 (pretty ugly, had to work in with Bro #1)
    Bench: 80x2x1x2 (Bro #1 was doing deadlifts beside the bench. Watched my almost crush my face during the second set...but managed to rack in in the low rungs. He then asked me to let him know when (not if :laugh: ) I need a spot, please. He also gave me a tip about my breathing during bench - Just wish he was a little more social, helpful)
    Rows: 80x3x5 (really sucked, my form is just so crappy on these - and Bro #1, whom I mentioned made rowing look like art on Sunday, had already disappeared into the locker room.

My chiro cleared me...went to my final appointment Monday, yay! The Dr. gave me some stretches/exercises to help alleviate some of the curve in my back. A lot of the things he gave me are the same exercises as in my Yoga for backpain DVD. Must do yoga this week!
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Eating too much meat makes me have the meat sweats and I really don't like that so much :laugh:

What exactly are "meat sweats"? :huh:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Julie - it sounds like food or sleep issues, and since you said you slept, I'd guess food. Try adding just one thing - like have a snack before your workout. Also - what's your carb intake like? People don't talk about it much but there are some people who do very poorly eating low carb, and almost all people who are very active should be eating a decent amount of them for performance reasons.

re: protein - I struggled with the meat thing too, I just get TIRED of it, and I can only use shakes in a very moderate way before getting pretty sick of them too. But 100grams isn't too hard. Look at your diary and see where you can swap out a food that is low protein for a food that has slightly more protein - even if its just a few grams more. Like see where you can swap in dairy foods for foods that are mostly carb, buy cereals that have stuff like soy crisps in them (for higher protein content), pick up higher protein pastas and breads, eat quinoa instead of rice, etc. I also sometimes do stuff like mix up a can of albacore wiht spices and mustard and a dab of mayo and whatever else I want, or I mix it with fresh salsa, or some veggie mix, etc. I prefer that to a sweet thing like protein powder.

Anyway for me, I just get bored with eating a lot of any particular flavor or texture so I try to find lots of ways to switch things up.

i'm still having sleep issues but I don't really want to take another day off so I think I will just go and do my best to deadlift. I dunno. I have mixed feelings on it. On one hand I don't like to get too far off schedule. But on the other hand I'm not really convinced that a crappy lifting day does anyone any good. A 5 hour energy would take care of it (That stuff is MAGIC) but then I'll be worried about sleeping again tonight. Argh. Decisions.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    I live on 5 Hour Energy...one that *kitten*.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Deadlift 5X5 135lbs! I had to switch too mixed grip (I think that's what it's called) though to pick up the last two. My grip was failing, even with gloves. Sigh. Is that normal? Is that "ok"?

I switched to mixed grip at the suggestion of a couple of others at 135 as well. I repeated 135 yesterday, and it felt fine. Bring on 145!!!

Julie- thanks! I'm a work in progress. :blushing:

I'm still falling short on protein. I usually get 100-110 every day, but I'm supposed to be eating 130 or so. Not sure if I want to delve into the world of protein powders or not. Did finally get an immersion blender for christmas though. Hmm.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Meat sweats are that feeling that you get if you just eat too damn much meat. It would happen more with red meat than something like chicken and it's even more likely to happen if there is more fat on the meat than you're used to! There is this Brazilian BBQ place that we have lunch at during our team meetings in Calgary and I think pretty much all of the men leave there with the meat sweats just because they have stuffed SO MUCH meat in their pieholes :laugh:

I don't have a problem hitting my protein....I just like the option of having a shake or adding protein powder to something to either change the flavor or up the protein. And dairy is my most favorite protein source. I could eat the cheese all damn day! Yogurt and cottage cheese are staples here too!

BTW....protein cookies were a bad idea :ohwell: Maybe I overcooked them or maybe they just suck or maybe I have to play with the recipe a bit more. I love cookies so I'm a little sad because I was hoping that I could have the best of both worlds!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I live on 5 Hour Energy...one that *kitten*.

I try NOT to medicate too much because I worry that I'm just hiding some issue that I need to deal with, but I do use them. They're SO freaking effective - have you tried one pre-workout yet? Its *amazing*
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Ugh I have such a hard time with protein. It's hard for me to eat 100g and that's with shakes. Part of the issue is I really like a lot of vegetarian style meals with no/little meat. Like yeah beans might have more protein than not beans, but they still can't compare to beef. An example- Sunday I made tortillas and refried beans. So my dinner/lunch combined meal was- 5 corn tortillas, 5/8c beans, 1.25 oz cheese,30g sour cream, 26g avocado. 732cal 27g protein. Man it was good though. :laugh: Or I'll make "fried quinoa" like fried rice with whatever veggies are handy. Example: 1/4c uncooked quinoa, 2/3c broccoli, 30g snow peas, 1 egg, soy sauce=345c 19g protein. So since this is where I gravitate when I'm not thinking about protein I have to make an actual effort to plan high protein snacks/meals, or think of ways to add more protein- like adding a couple slices of turkey bacon to my breakfast. or lunch, or dinner.:smile:

ETA: I'm so annoyed by 5 hour energy commercials I refuse to buy them so I'm not sure how effective they are. That one chick with the lazy *kitten* husband needs to DTMFA.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    ^^ Yeah, this. ^^

I've started eating lumps of ham/chicken/fish but that also gets expensive. I've just ordered another protein shake (I use a carb/protein one pre/post workout) and OMG *someone on this thread reminded me that I can put it in oatmeal!* Omnomnom super-protein breakfast! I need to laminate my list of protein/cals per snack too so when I'm roaming the kitchen looking for a way to eat my leftover calories I can grab something that will hit the macros better.

I'm still faffing with calories - stalled at 1500 net when exercising, dropped 3lbs in 10days while not exercising and still netting 1500. Might try netting 1800 a day from next week when I'm fully recovered and see what happens...

Today's numbers:
    Squat - 44lbs. Yay, yay, been bouncing between 44 & 53 for weeks. Next week, I'm going up to 53lbs, and then busting through that to 60 asap.
    Bench - 30lbs. Yay, yay back to 30lbs after finally cracking 35lbs three weeks ago before I got sick :(
    Rows - 45lbs *shrug* felt about right. Will go up next time.