February Check-n-chat: Bada$$ B!tches do it with barbells

Options

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Heck, I wouldn't dare eat that stuff, lol, unless perhaps I was bulking or somesuch or having a binge moment.
    I had 3 eggs, mackerel, sweetcorn, steamed veggies and butter for dinner yesterday and tonight I just had wild alaskan salmon, peas, broccoli, butter and half of a pack of organic moroccan vegetables and quinoa as I had a massive craving for quinoa and beans. Only had the salmon because my protein was low, lol, wasn't craving it at all.

However, I did stuff down a 100g bar of 72% chocolate before bed last night. Always happens when I stay up too late.

I am a creature of habit. I always have just about the same thing before bed. A hard boiled duck egg, an apple or other piece of fruit or carrots and my yoghurt bowl which is greek yoghurt, flax, hemp, whey protein banana oatmeal and agave nectar.

And I will probably end up having less healthy foods from Tues to Fri as I am going to my mum's in London for a bit and she takes me out for meals. I am hopeless at ignoring the dessert menu, lol. Anything that resembles chocolate fudge cake or cheesecake doesn't stand a chance when I am around.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Vegas!

Julie, I hate the scale. I ignore it six days a week, and only take it seriously when there is a loss, lol...I am waiting for the numbers to creep up, as well, given I am having a hell of a time eating to get my macros spot on. So far today, I've over-carbed.

I was hungry, and I ate. Still within range, calorically speaking. :)
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options

Julie, I hate the scale. I ignore it six days a week, and only take it seriously when there is a loss, lol...

I do this too! Clearly that's the only time it's accurate. :wink: Although in our case it's partially true. I know from pictures and measurements I'm losing fat. If it was going the other way maybe I'd reconsider.

Vegas your numbers are totally bamf! Love it. Can't wait to see my final 12 week numbers next month. I know someone posted about comparison envy earlier. For me it doesn't matter if someone is lifing more or less than me, or increasing their numbers faster or slower. Seeing other bamf women consistently improving is what I love to read about and what motivates me. Those numbers can change based on so many factors- previous workout history, genetics, history, age (either way! If you're older you've had more years to build muscle:smile: or more time for atrophy:cry: ), nutrition, sleep, other current workouts, lifestyle, and even support structure. Yeah that was kind of cheesy, but it's true! :laugh:

Anyway off to gym for light cardio knee recovery time. Bleh.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

Julie, I hate the scale. I ignore it six days a week, and only take it seriously when there is a loss, lol...

I do this too! Clearly that's the only time it's accurate. :wink: Although in our case it's partially true. I know from pictures and measurements I'm losing fat. If it was going the other way maybe I'd reconsider.

Vegas your numbers are totally bamf! Love it. Can't wait to see my final 12 week numbers next month. I know someone posted about comparison envy earlier. For me it doesn't matter if someone is lifing more or less than me, or increasing their numbers faster or slower. Seeing other bamf women consistently improving is what I love to read about and what motivates me. Those numbers can change based on so many factors- previous workout history, genetics, history, age (either way! If you're older you've had more years to build muscle:smile: or more time for atrophy:cry: ), nutrition, sleep, other current workouts, lifestyle, and even support structure. Yeah that was kind of cheesy, but it's true! :laugh:

Thanks tree! And I totally agree with you....just seeing everyone progress is so inspiring!

Not gonna lie though....I'm looking forward to my deload this week :laugh: 150# might put me in the running for bamf but fck it's damn hard work!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Thanks tree! And I totally agree with you....just seeing everyone progress is so inspiring!

Not gonna lie though....I'm looking forward to my deload this week :laugh: 150# might put me in the running for bamf but fck it's damn hard work!

Can I ask what deload is? I mean, I know it involves going lower in the weight lifted, but why ? And how much lower usually and for how long ?
  • fishlover888
    Options
    Hi Ladies!
    I think/hope I'm posting this in the right place?

I've been reading all of your inspiring chats/posts for a few weeks now and finally decided to kick my own butt into starting this program! Been doing some lifting for a while but wasn't progressing and was starting to get bored. I am hoping doing the 5x5 will give me the motivation to keep up on it.

Here is where I'm starting for the 5x5:
    Squat 85
    Bench Press 50
    Pendlay Row 45
    Overhead Press 50
    Deadlift 65

Any suggestions for goal setting? Where I should expect to be in 3 months, 6 months?

Wish me luck! Really excited to find a community of women who lift!

Anna
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Can I ask what deload is? I mean, I know it involves going lower in the weight lifted, but why ? And how much lower usually and for how long ?

Deload is anytime you reduce the weight you're using. Usually we mean it one of 3 ways.

1. It can be used if you fail your reps 3 times in a row. Then it's suggested to reduce the weight by 10% the next workout and progress as normal.

2. A way to deal with injury without. I sprained my knee so I had to deload on squats.

3. A deload week. Every so often it's recommended to go lighter for a week. Usually sometime every 4-12 weeks. This can mean weight, reps, or sets, but I think usually in the power lifting circle it means weight. This prevents over-training, and also allows your connective tissue time to heal. Ligaments, tendons, and cartilage don't get the same blood flow as muscles do, so making them work a little less for a week is beneficial.

Fishlover welcome! You look completely bamf already Ms. Surfer. Sometimes it's just funny to see how off you were when you made your goals, but http://www.strstd.com/ is kind of a nice starting point to give you some perspective. I made my "goals for 2013" after 2 weeks of lifting (I was a complete newbie,) and I'm already super close to almost all of my second goals for the year. (Which I based off the intermediate rank.) I'll have to make some new ones next month if things go well.:laugh: Good luck!
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    welcome fishlover..holy hell those are some big badass numbers already!!

Thanks for the thoughts on the scale...I totally scared the **** out of myself...gratuitously I might add...I'm such a dumbass. I got on the scale after the gym, and after a piece of pizza...yeah..I'm dumb.

So for tonights badassery..

Starting week three
    squat - 80lbs 5x5
    OHP - 2x5, 2x3, @ 40lbs, 1x5 @ 35lbs (smith machine) - totally struggling with this..and psyching myself out...
    DL - 100lbs 1x5 <--- yeah I said it and I mfkng did it!!!

Now I just dont get why squating and dl can feel almost easy and I struggle so damn hard with bench press and OHP....I'm starting to think I'm doing everything wrong. I need to go back to the videos again to check out form. Does everyone use a wide stance for squats?

and I just hate that there are mirrors everywear...I definately look bulking...I was 127lbs this summer and felt so good...Now I'm 135lbs and I feel like a sausage in a casing...I'm going to do my very best not to get on the scale until next sunday....lay off the psycho measuring too...sigh.

ugh. well **** I just closed my diary and even freaking mfp tells me I'll be gaining weight..I just can't do this..I reset my calorie target to 1200...I'll have to just build muscle and lose weight too...maybe I am tht one special snowflake that gets bulky and fat. Gonna go freak out, sorry.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options

Tree explained a deload perfectly:smile:

The reason I'm doing it is because I just finished my first cycle of SL (12 weeks) and I am about to start cycle 2 but I want to give my body a rest for a few workouts....more from the squats and deadlifts than the upper body work. It will push back my progress a little bit, as I will start cycle 2 from the deload weights, but I do think that it will be worth it!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Hi Ladies!
    I think/hope I'm posting this in the right place?

I've been reading all of your inspiring chats/posts for a few weeks now and finally decided to kick my own butt into starting this program! Been doing some lifting for a while but wasn't progressing and was starting to get bored. I am hoping doing the 5x5 will give me the motivation to keep up on it.

Here is where I'm starting for the 5x5:
    Squat 85
    Bench Press 50
    Pendlay Row 45
    Overhead Press 50
    Deadlift 65

Any suggestions for goal setting? Where I should expect to be in 3 months, 6 months?

Wish me luck! Really excited to find a community of women who lift!

Anna

Welcome!

It seems to be common that the upper body exercises can pose problems for many of us, so fractional weights really come in handy! Also, just curious how you came up with your starting weights?

You will love this program!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    welcome fishlover..holy hell those are some big badass numbers already!!

Thanks for the thoughts on the scale...I totally scared the **** out of myself...gratuitously I might add...I'm such a dumbass. I got on the scale after the gym, and after a piece of pizza...yeah..I'm dumb.

So for tonights badassery..

Starting week three
    squat - 80lbs 5x5
    OHP - 2x5, 2x3, @ 40lbs, 1x5 @ 35lbs (smith machine) - totally struggling with this..and psyching myself out...
    DL - 100lbs 1x5 <--- yeah I said it and I mfkng did it!!!

Now I just dont get why squating and dl can feel almost easy and I struggle so damn hard with bench press and OHP....I'm starting to think I'm doing everything wrong. I need to go back to the videos again to check out form. Does everyone use a wide stance for squats?

and I just hate that there are mirrors everywear...I definately look bulking...I was 127lbs this summer and felt so good...Now I'm 135lbs and I feel like a sausage in a casing...I'm going to do my very best not to get on the scale until next sunday....lay off the psycho measuring too...sigh.

ugh. well **** I just closed my diary and even freaking mfp tells me I'll be gaining weight..I just can't do this..I reset my calorie target to 1200...I'll have to just build muscle and lose weight too...maybe I am tht one special snowflake that gets bulky and fat. Gonna go freak out, sorry.

Don't do it!! I know it can be hard to eat more, especially when MFP lies to you. When you do a custom goal, MFP doesn't realize the amount of exercise you're doing, so it thinks you're sitting on your duff, so of course you will gain weight. But you won't. There may be small gains for a few weeks, but then it will likely start dropping again. Make sure you give any change 4-6 weeks before changing again.

And lifting on 1200 is probably going to be rather difficult. I know I wouldn't be able to pick much up eating that little. I'd bonk hard. If after 4-6 weeks you're not losing, try adjusting, but only in 100-200 calorie increments. Calculators are guesstimates, so they may need tweaking, but don't go straight to 1200 just because you're frustrated.
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    @ Fishlover, Welcome! I think you'll like it here, and absolutely sure you'll enjoy 5x5.

@ Tree, thanks for posting the strength standards link. Honestly I'm so NOT goal oriented that the only ones I had to start have been get strong and get at least 3 workouts a week (the harder of the 2).

@ Julie, just vent here when you feel crazy about your food! Then listen to the wisdom. You aren't struggling through alone, that's for sure. I've been chugging along fighting in my head over the scale NOT moving and the whole idea of eating more, and how am I supposed to fine "maintainance" if nothing ever changes no matter what I eat/do, and the whole bit. (I just had my 52nd B'day by the way). Point is our struggles are all a bit different, but folks struggle.

Week-wise I'm happy:

squat - 82
    OHP - 47 (finally)
    BP - 65
    DL - 110
    Row - 55 - finally getting form corrected I think, after watching video a couple of times & basically starting over. :b
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

@nex....gosh those numbers are really confusing to me! Are you in a bulk (sorry I can't remember)? In any event, I think that any numbers that make you feel better are the ones that count :happy: It's definitely good news that your LBM is greater than you thought....shows that all that busting your *kitten* has paid off!

I wasn't trying to bulk, or lose...I have been using the same scale since last year, the home one, thinking I am weighing in at 10 lbs lighter than reality. I recall using the one at work a while back and it was 14 lbs different to the home scale reading. My goals are the same and the weight I need to shed to get to 20 % bf is the same (well one pound extra but that is no biggy), so it should not have bothered me, but looking at other folks' pics, I knew something was off, I just did not look as good (yeah yeah, comparing bodies and all that I know!) as I should at similar height, weight and bodyfat %. So I weighed on another scale and my suspicions were correct.

Julie...please don't so the 1200 cal thing...um...I don't know what to say. Here is me, ex anorexic/bulimic, still overweight, found out I am 10 lbs heavier than I thought, but HAPPY that my lean mass is 5 lbs more than I thought. HAPPY that I can eat an extra 100 cals per day if I want...I do understand where you are coming from, EDs play with the head and the self-image so much. I know you are not as big or fat or whatever it is that you think you are...I am not sure how to change your mind or mindset on this, other than reminding you that strength boosts confidence and building lean mass changes your body big time and eating enough calories to do everything you want makes you feel badass. I suspect that the calories are the problem and not having enough energy to lift, do cardio, and just have a great day is having a domino effect on it all : (
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I think what has thrown me over the edge is my thigh measurements. My upper thighs are where I carry the most fat, always has been...and that is really the reason I started this heavy lifting, because I know how hard it is to get fat off of that area. So last summy my thighs were 20"....8lbs later, they are now 21.5" and I want to cry...JUST ****ING CRY! that .5" was from this week alone!!! I've been trying to eat more for 4-5 weeks...I know not forever...but if my thighs and *kitten* are just going to get bigger..I flat out can't do it.

My butt was pretty good, and this is prolly TMI but I take a pic everyday for my bf..he calls it morning pantie check, it makes him happy so I do it. Well I can see the fat progression in my rear now too..a lot more dimples than even a month ago...

I don't know why it isn't working for me...and I know better than to close out my diary on mfp for the very reason that I DON'T want to see them tell me I'll be 2 lbs heavier in 5 weeks. But guess what, I AM two pounds heavier...

maybe if I can drop 10lbs I can start trying this again..I'll have more of a cushion or something...I dont' know..maybe I just need to accept that it won't work for me...too short, old, too much of a freak I don't know.

I'm really sorry, I feel like you guys are going to throw me out at any point because I'm being so negative and whiney...I guess I trust y'all more than most since I'm actually voicing all of this stuff rather than keeping it in. Like I said before, I'm not normally this needy or negative or anything else...I do know it is a tough time of year for me, I don't do well in winter and historically all of my weightloss is in the summer when I'm happy and active...

so, sorry....I'm going to go freak out in the bathroom now and get it over with. :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

I'm really sorry, I feel like you guys are going to throw me out at any point because I'm being so negative and whiney...I guess I trust y'all more than most since I'm actually voicing all of this stuff rather than keeping it in. Like I said before, I'm not normally this needy or negative or anything else...I do know it is a tough time of year for me, I don't do well in winter and historically all of my weightloss is in the summer when I'm happy and active...

so, sorry....I'm going to go freak out in the bathroom now and get it over with. :sad: :sad: :sad:

Throw you out?! Nah, this is a place for us womens to day whatever, whenever, however...I guess.,.wish I could hug you all better...your thighs are so small...hey are you sure it isn't muscle, that is making them bigger? I mean my thighs and bum got bigger, but I was chuffed with that as I could see it was muscle growing. Or maybe it is a bit of extra glycogen due to the lifting? Don't let measurements get you down, unless your bodyfat is going up...bet it isn't!!! : )
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    I think what has thrown me over the edge is my thigh measurements. My upper thighs are where I carry the most fat, always has been...and that is really the reason I started this heavy lifting, because I know how hard it is to get fat off of that area. So last summy my thighs were 20"....8lbs later, they are now 21.5" and I want to cry...JUST ****ING CRY! that .5" was from this week alone!!! I've been trying to eat more for 4-5 weeks...I know not forever...but if my thighs and *kitten* are just going to get bigger..I flat out can't do it.

My butt was pretty good, and this is prolly TMI but I take a pic everyday for my bf..he calls it morning pantie check, it makes him happy so I do it. Well I can see the fat progression in my rear now too..a lot more dimples than even a month ago...

I don't know why it isn't working for me...and I know better than to close out my diary on mfp for the very reason that I DON'T want to see them tell me I'll be 2 lbs heavier in 5 weeks. But guess what, I AM two pounds heavier...

maybe if I can drop 10lbs I can start trying this again..I'll have more of a cushion or something...I dont' know..maybe I just need to accept that it won't work for me...too short, old, too much of a freak I don't know.

Oh, Julie!!!!

I'm sitting at my desk here at the office all choked up after reading this...

I know you don't know me from Adam, but I have been reading your posts.

I don't have answers because I am so new at this, but I know how frustrating this is for you.

Are you sleeping? I know that earlier in the month there was a chunk of posts about non-sleeping, and I can't remember if that included you?

nex posted as I was bringing up the reply box, and mentions thighs, and you mention thighs and thighs are large body parts, if you know what I mean...Compared to things like upper arms and whatnot.

Somewhere, I read, and I wish I could remember so I could share the link with you, that when lifting, certain body parts are going to get bigger, and that girls can expect the legs and butts of their jeans to be more snug while other parts will get smaller. I think that was why I was initially so hesitant to start lifting in the first place, because my primary goal was to get smaller, not bigger.

Is that making any sense? I don't know if this is helping you at all, but I hope that it is, even just a little bit? :heart:

ETA to correct spelling...
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Awww Juliet....we're not going to kick you out :smile: We are all here to support each other. Please don't go back to 1200 and please don't stop lifting.

Remember that losing "weight" is the easy part.....but I KNOW that you want to HEALTHY, not just SKINNY. This body recomp thing is probably the hardest part of the whole journey (in my opinion because I have also been struggling) but I have read story after story after story and it does pay off. In this case, your patience is really put to the test. Please don't throw the towel in!

I really don't feel like these gains in that you are seeing are fat.....there are so many other factors that can influence how we measure and how we weigh. It truly is best to get rid of the scale and tape for a bit and just focus on being active and healthy....including eating enough nutritious food :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    So this morning was my first deload workout....started with workout b and holy crap how quickly we forget how it kicks your *kitten* when you don't have huge rest periods between sets! I really feel beat after reducing my squat and dead both to 120# and my OHP to 48#! The difference? Only 1 1/2 min rest between sets...sometimes not quite. I really love feeling this again!

Then I jumped on the treadmill and did 20 min of intervals because I felt like my workout was too short :laugh:
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    So this morning was my first deload workout....started with workout b and holy crap how quickly we forget how it kicks your *kitten* when you don't have huge rest periods between sets! I really feel beat after reducing my squat and dead both to 120# and my OHP to 48#! The difference? Only 1 1/2 min rest between sets...sometimes not quite. I really love feeling this again!

Then I jumped on the treadmill and did 20 min of intervals because I felt like my workout was too short :laugh:

Madame, may I just say, "BAMF!!!!" ? :flowerforyou:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options

Madame, may I just say, "BAMF!!!!" ? :flowerforyou:

Awww...thank you! :blushing: