108 Days of Yoga

Options
themutineer
themutineer Posts: 117 Member
Renowned mathematicians view 108 as a number of the wholeness of existence.
The individual numbers 1, 0, and 8 represent one thing, nothing, and everything, or infinity.
Some people claim 108 represents the ultimate reality of the universe as being paradoxically and simultaneously one, emptiness, and infinite.

According to yogic tradition, there are 108 pithas, or sacred sites, throughout India and 108 marma points, or sacred places of the body where consciousness and flesh intersect to give life to the living being.

Please join me on March 1st in my commitment to become present both on and off my mat by practicing yoga once daily for 108 consecutive days. This is a wonderful opportunity to cultivate love, peace, and awareness in your everyday life in order to bring more balance to the mind, body, and soul.

Please note that it is not a requirement that you be a seasoned practitioner to participate - yoga is a great practice for any body of any age to partake in. Also note that I strongly encourage you to tailor this program to meet your own goals, and to focus more on personal growth rather than weight-loss.

In the case that you would like to get an idea of ways in which to create your personal commitment plan, I will share my own:

- To complete at least one hour-long practice daily from March 1st through June 17th
- To complete at least one fifteen-minute-long meditation daily from March 1st through June 17th
- To remove as many animal products, processed foods, sugar, alchohol, and caffeine from my diet
- To introduce as many wholesome, natural, unprocessed foods to my diet
- To commit to living with an intention of love, peace, and awareness in my everyday life
- To commit to honoring myself entirely - my mind, body, and soul

My journey begins today. Will you join me? Please feel free to add me as a friend for support, or message me with any questions you might have.

Replies

• SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    How is this challenge going for everyone so far?
    I am proud to say that I have yet to miss a day, even if I only practiced for 10 minutes (which has only been twice so far, yay me) thank you for opening up this challenge to everyone, I really needed this.
  • hockey247
    hockey247 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm in although I'll be starting late. Is this thread still active?
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Great challenge. I'd like to join, if a little late. My practice has gone from 5-6 times per week to barely 2 in the last few months. Time to recommit!

I think I will pledge to practice a minimum of 10 sun salutations per day, but aim for a full 90 minute practice every day.
  • themutineer
    Options
    How is this challenge going for everyone so far?
    I am proud to say that I have yet to miss a day, even if I only practiced for 10 minutes (which has only been twice so far, yay me) thank you for opening up this challenge to everyone, I really needed this.

Awesome!
    I'm in although I'll be starting late. Is this thread still active?

Yes - welcome newcomers!
  • hockey247
    Options
    OK 90 minutes down today Yay :) I really have no idea how many calories I burn during a class. I do it for the practice but also keep up with a food journal. Oh well, feels great and I love it.
  • jeansgirl
    jeansgirl Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Just saw this thread. I am currently on my 71 st day of yoga. Actually, the string is longer because I didn't think to count before New YearsEve. My commitment is for some form everyday...even if it is only 15 minutes of breath and stretch. Good luck on the journey! I so look forward to it !
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I am doing a 30 day challenge in attempt to be more flexible due to 3rd baker's cyst and losing my last 7 lbs. I started March 2, 2013 with my first bikram yoga and I have completed 11 days straight. I may extend my challenge longer but for now I am only doing 30 days!
  • hockey247
    Options
    I just did another 60 minutes from home even though it was really late. I hope everyone is doing well.
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have realized that I am much better at my home practice in the mornings. Anything after 9am should take place in a class for me. Hmm, the things you learn about yourself when A Challenge is Accepted. :glasses:
  • jlbay
    Options
    I have realized that I am much better at my home practice in the mornings. Anything after 9am should take place in a class for me. Hmm, the things you learn about yourself when A Challenge is Accepted. :glasses:

Yep - me too!

I'm struggling today to get in a practice - first day of my period (sorry for the TMI) and it is always a rough day. Going to try a new restorative sequence for "easing menstrual discomfort" - just got a nice new bolster for this very thing!
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Going to try a new restorative sequence for "easing menstrual discomfort" - just got a nice new bolster for this very thing!

would love to know the sequence! :)
  • hockey247
    Options
    Another day down :) I would also like the sequence. I tend to find that I only slip during that time in any workout plan or practice. Since I really want to learn Yoga and not just do it for weight loss, I have to keep going even on those days :/
  • bikinisuited
    Options
    Day 13 done for me, staying strong!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Here's a menstrual yoga sequence for you guys:
    http://www.yogacircle.com/asana_menses.html
  • jlbay
    Options
    Here's a menstrual yoga sequence for you guys:
    http://www.yogacircle.com/asana_menses.html

It is very similar to this ^^^ In fact, this site shows you how to use the props.

It comes from "The Yoga Practice Guide: Dynamic Sequencing for home practice and teachers" by Bruce Bowditch. Just got the book last week.

(Hold supported poses for several minutes)
    supta baddhakonasana (bolster under back, blocks under knees, hands out to sides)
    supta virasana (bolster under back with blanket on bolster, under head, hands out to sides)
    supta padangusthasana (block or bolster under thigh)
    baddhakonasana (hold 10 breaths)
    baddhakonasana (supported, rest arms and head on chair seat placed in front of body)
    upavistakonasana (hold 10 breaths)
    upavista konasana (supported, rest arms and head on chair seat placed in front of body)
    dandasana (hold 10 breaths)
    pascimottanasana (rest torso on bolster + blanket(s) )
    janu sirsasana (place bolster inside straight leg, in front of foot on thigh - rest torso on bolster)
    balasana (rest torso on bolster between knees)
    adho mukha svanasana (hold 10 breaths)
    prasarita padottanasana (hold 10 breaths)
    uttanasana (supported with chair)
    viparita dandasana (bolster + blanket under mid-back)
    virasana (hold 10 breaths)
    parivrtta virasana (hold 10 breaths)
    setubandha sarvangasana (bolster under buttocks and thighs, feet on block)
    ujjayi pranayama and savasana (bolster + 2 blankets under torso)

You can probably look up these poses online to see how to use the props - just search for: "pose name" + "supported"
    Or, I can try to explain!
  • themutineer
    Options
    Hello Yogis! It's so amazing to see you all keeping up with the challenge - awesome achievements!
  • bikinisuited
    Options
    Day 16 completed and so far staying strong. Half way done with my 30 day challenge. Let's keep this party going!
  • jlbay
    Options
    I took the day off on Friday. So, now on day three again.

I'm going to keep trying until I get there.
  • bikinisuited
    Options
    I took the day off on Friday. So, now on day three again.

I'm going to keep trying until I get there.

We can do this. Great attitude!
  • hockey247
    Options
    I'm still here-- great 75 minute class tonight. I'm still new to Yoga and its amazing how beautiful a royal pigeon is. I can't come close yet but to see others do it is just gorgeous. Glad to see this thread is still going. I have done a bit of Yoga everyday since it started even if it wasn't a full hour.