Week 1 : Workouts (Tell me what your doing?)

Options

Replies

• penelopia
    penelopia Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    2 hours swimming per week
    2 x 30 minute spin class
    2 pilates classes
    1 hour legs, bums and tums
    1 hour body conditioning
    1 hour ballroom dancing
    .....i'd really like to start lifting but i don't know what I'm meant to do :(
  • tiggersized55
    Options
    I try to do at least 30 minutes a day. I have excersise bike and various dvd.
  • sacolema
    sacolema Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Saturdays are my rest days.

For the other days, I do a MINIMUM of 30 minutes.. sometimes way longer. I YouTube a lot of workouts, and since I do most of my workouts at home and it is STILL snowing here.. Biggest loser Cardio Max dvd has become a fave. I also do the 30day shred about 4 days out of the week... anything else is a bonus lol
  • NipsGhost
    NipsGhost Posts: 46
    Options
    Reading all of these I feel like the biggest slacker. I do a brisk walk about 30 minutes a day if I can. Otherwise I find other cardio ways, such as a 60 minute heavy clean of the house, or washing a load or two of clothes by hand. (which definitely works the arm and stomach muscles)

I do not have a gym membership (nor plan on getting one anytime soon) and do strength training with canned goods and other heavy objects here in the house.

I'd love to be able to run, but at this time I can't even pull off a simple jog. I'll get there though!
  • wyome
    wyome Posts: 4
    Options
    My workout has been non existent. I drive for a living so I am sitting almost 8 hours a day. Not to mention the bad eating habits I have acquired while driving. I recently ditched the diet coke which I found out was really a hinderance more then a help.

Anyway, on to the exercise. I will be starting out slow since I really have not been very active. I will be walking 4-5 times a week for 30 minutes then increasing my time each week. After the 2nd week, I plan on adding some strength training. It will be a slow process, but I am ready for the challenge and the change.

Kim
  • wyome
    wyome Posts: 4
    Options
    Reading all of these I feel like the biggest slacker. I do a brisk walk about 30 minutes a day if I can. Otherwise I find other cardio ways, such as a 60 minute heavy clean of the house, or washing a load or two of clothes by hand. (which definitely works the arm and stomach muscles)

I do not have a gym membership (nor plan on getting one anytime soon) and do strength training with canned goods and other heavy objects here in the house.

I'd love to be able to run, but at this time I can't even pull off a simple jog. I'll get there though!

NipsGhost, You should look at me.... Don't call yourself a slacker! We each have our unique set of circumstances and we should gain strength and encouragement from each other! You will do great!

Kim
  • Momma_Grizz
    Momma_Grizz Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have access to a gym but am working out at home. I do cardio 3 days a week (it's still deep winter here so at least half an hour on the elliptical each time, sometimes more) and am suppose to do strength training 3 days a week with dumbbells - alternating with each other. The strength training program I am using is from 'The Body Fat Solution by Tom Venuto' - it's pretty good actually, especially for a newbie like me. I just have to make sure I do the strength training, which I am struggling with right now. I find the cardio easier maybe? not sure - haven't figured out why I don't like to do the strength training yet.

At my age, I'm shrinking and need to build up my bone density - was told strength training will help. (amongst other benefits of it) Not sure if that the bone density is true but it sure can't hurt, right?
  • lilliann7877
    Options
    just started last week doing a 20 minute kettlebell full body workout 3 x a week . then cardio consisting of jogging on treadmill 4-5 per week for about 30-45 mins.

should i do my cardio workout first then kettle bell workout?
  • healthby40
    healthby40 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I haven't been doing anything. I was focusing on the nutrition part of losing first, then when the weight loss started slowing down I was going to start the exercise. Well, that time has come! I'm going to start walking today. Hopefully 30-40 minutes 3-4 times a week. I also need ideas on weight training. I don't go to a gym. I have kids to young to leave unattended, so it needs to be at home.
  • Culanow
    Culanow Posts: 11
    Options
    I just started working out again this week. Several years ago I was VERY into running and working out. I have 5 half-marathons under my belt, and 18 mile trail run and various other runs. AND I was working out at the gym for an hour and a half a day. I reached complete burnout and just stopped. The last couple of years, I've tried to start back working out without going overboard, but I get so frustrated at having to start all over that I haven't been able to stay motivated. This year, I am feeling the bug again.

So this week I started by doing a vigorous 45-minute walk, the next day I did Tae-bo (which I love), walked the next day for an hour, Tae bo, then walked, then Taebo again. Today, Im planning on doing 30-day shred.

Having pushed myself so far in the past, all that I've done this week seems little and sad. I know that my body is capable of so much more, but I'm trying to keep it realistic.

I could definately use some advice on exactly what is realistic. I no longer have a gym membership. But I have alot of places to run and walk and several good workout videos.
  • lindaw66
    lindaw66 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I joined Planet Fitness and when I was good about exercising I would get to the gym 3-4 times per week and do 30 minutes on the eliptical and the weight circuit every other day. After 6 weeks of this, I got no results other than my pants fit a tad bit looser. Clearly I need to go every day and get more time with my eliptical and weight circuit. I'm also finding some Yoga Videos on You Tube that I want to add to my routines, I just need to find the energy and some un-interupted time at home! I'm relitavely new to Yoga and noticed there are others in this group that also do Yoga, so any advice for the newbie would be much appreciated! Namaste and Happy St. Patrick's Day.
  • annascrapper
    annascrapper Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Marcia I am am on week 4 of P90X. I actually like it...BUT... in the 4 weeks I have been doing it I have lost a grand total of 2 pounds... when I started the program i was eating 1800 calories, I just dropped to 1600 last Tuesday. The program recommends I eat more but I only lost weight after I reduced my cals.. Question is am I on the right track????? Help
  • andreagreen1974
    andreagreen1974 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner and am in week 9 of a half marathon training program, so I run 4x per week. I do hasfit cardio and strength training videos on alternating days.
  • mkkhoza
    mkkhoza Posts: 79
    Options
    I do a 50 minute bootcamp workout at our local YMCA mon, wed, fri
    tuesday and thusday, i do a full body dumbell routine, this usually takes me 50-60 minutes doing 12 excercises, 3 sets and 12 reps per set. I have started to incorporate a Tabata run on the treadmill after that.
    On Saturday i join a group at a local church and we do different beach body workouts, this past saturday it was an Insanity workout, next Satuday it will be Body Combat.
    On Sunday morning i run on the treadmill for 30 minutes

Thanks for putting this together Mike...YES WE CAN!!
  • CrisAlex
    CrisAlex Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hi Mike,
    I workout 6 days a week (sometimes 7 if I was very sedentary that week). In those workouts, I run anywhere from 4-6 times a week and do strength training 2-3 times a week. My running mileage is anywhere between 25-40 miles a week, and on some weeks I'll do an Insanity workout or two if I don't feel like running.

I think that my diet is doing me in, as I tend to eat too much bread and too little vegetables.
  • lizlashley2009
    lizlashley2009 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Sunday: cardio at the gym plus abs and push ups
    Monday: same as Sunday
    Tuesday: leg day with the devil aka trainer
    Wednesday: light cardio
    Thursday: upper body with the devil
    Friday: walking
    Saturday: walking and jogging
  • sharanksandhu
    sharanksandhu Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am doing Ripped in 30 by JM along with 30 mins elliptical five times a week .
  • mikehart164
    mikehart164 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm embarrassed to say that I only do a 30 minute walk/run on the treadmill 2-3 days a week. I know I can do more and I WILL do more. I have access to a gym and I'm ready to do whatver you tell me to do.

Please Google (DB Shoulder Press, DB Chest Press, DB Rows, DB Curls , DB Overhead Extensions) Learn these exercises. Do 3 sets of 15 of each exercise 1 day per week for upper body.

Please Google (Bodyweight Squat, Step- Ups, Stiff Legged Deadlift, Leg Curl) Learn these exercises Do 3 sets of 15 of each do 1 day per week for lower body.

Please Google : Plank and Crunch and Lying Leg Raises do these exercise to failure 2-4 days per week. This week Hit 3 days a week with those additions that is your goal for the first 4 weeks please. Go get it be safe and for DB= Dumbbell and I would start with only 5 pounds in each hand and increase as you feel you can. =)
  • mikehart164
    Options
    I'm actually in the getting motivated phase right now. When I exercise, it's walks for about 30 minutes at a time. There is a boot camp class pretty close to my house that I'd like to try, but I struggle when I can't do all the exercises and it feels like everyone else can, so I'm working my way up there. :)

That How I feel when I go when I watch Cross Fit. Now matter how fit you are there will always be things that are more difficult for you then other people BE THE BEST YOU!
  • mikehart164
    Options
    2 days of kickboxing: 45 mins. each class
    4 days of cardio: 45 -60 mins. on home treadmill doing intervals

I would recommend 2 days of weight training just 20-30 minutes Hit 4-5 exercises each day make sure they are uppper body and lower body exercises. Cardio is amazing for burning fat but you want to build those sexy muscles for tank top weather !!