Week 1-4 : Diet

Options

Replies

• ashsmile78
    ashsmile78 Posts: 3,528 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a high protein breakfast most or all mornings. This consists usually of a protein shake or eggs and toast. Lunches are often leftovers, grilled chicken breast or a tunafish sandwich. I have been trying to have a colorful vegetable with lunch like carrots or broccoli. Dinners are my biggest meal. It is usually something with 90/10 lean ground beef or chicken. I am trying to plan to eat a healthy snack between 2 and 5 pm because I noticed that I am usually really hungry then and don't make the best snacking choices. Nighttimes are hard for me not to go over my calories because I like to eat something before bed sometimes. I usually have completed logging my food by then and since I usually have enough calories I don't always put it.in which isn't a good practice for me because I am estimating and doing math in my head which I am not always good at. I aim for 1720 calories per day because that is what MFP recommends to lose one pound per week. I have lost 6 lbs since switching from losing 2 lbs per week to 1. That is in about 11 weeks. I used to do 1200 or 1300 calories per day but I wasn't losing much weight at all because I would go from one extreme to the other with my eating. I would like to do better with my diet for this challenge so I can lose more during this twelve week time period.
  • andreagreen1974
    andreagreen1974 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My diet consists of oatmeal for breaky, salad with protein and quinoa for lunch, fish or chicken with green veggies for dinner and fruit and yogurt for snacks recovery meals of pb and a banana on a wrap!

I eat 1400 calories per day plus whatever I burn during exercise.

My energy levels are awesome!
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy during the week. Lots of fruits and vegetables. But, I LOVE red wine... and when I drink wine, I LOVE cheese and crackers. I think that's my biggest downfall.
    I LOVE my red wine tooooooooo
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    HI i eat very clean 80 % of the time i try to eat as much Organic that i can get i do not eat Processed . My down fall is Red Wine i use to have a glass a day IKNOW thats bad but i have cut back to where i will have a glass or maybe even 2 one night on the weekend .
    I did follow the MFP calorie limit for awhile but they had me at 1200 Calories and i did that for a few weeks but stopped as i found i was starving all the time and had NO energy as i do go to the gym 5-6 times a week and i do yoga about that too.i stopped using MFP calorie limit as i find they are way out on there numbers. SO i went to another place that an girl on another group told me about and got my numbers from there. ANd added them to MFP I take in about 1450 Calories a day and i don't add back my workout calories but some days i will eat about 200 or so more it just depend on what my body is telling me i try really hard not to go under 1400 i eat every 2 or so hours 3 meals and 3 snacks . I am going to be 50 in a few weeks and i struggle with hormonal issues and i have a thyroid issue also and that had made it very hard for me to lose i didn't lose any weight for over a year no matter what i did but i have things on track now CROSSING MY FINGERS and have drop 10 lbs in the last few months i was just off from working out at ALL for the past 5 weeks as i tore my calf and i still lost a few lbs in that time. BUt the last week i have been back at the gym everyday . my diary is open if anyone wants to have a look and i am all for advise on making some changes
    Best of luck to you all
  • lizlashley2009
    lizlashley2009 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My diet is 2 protein shakes with normally fruit and almond milk. A banana with my breakfast shake. Then a healthy snack. For my actual meal a day it's normally 90% of the time chicken with veggies sweet potato salad or sweat potatoe fries. Then this week I am going to do Greek yogurt about an hour before my personal trainer because I've been getting dizzy durning workouts mainly due to my low bp. I have quit pop all together a couple a weeks ago and can't stand the taste anymore. After reading a book by Jullian I am cutting out everything white and eating every 4 hrs for 4 meals a day. I need to figure out how to cook fish and pork so I can eat something else besides chicken.
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    Trying to stick to 1500 calories and stay within my limits of carbs/protein/fats(40/30/30) Struggling as of late with chocolate cravings and wanting to eat everything in site (even when not hungry.) Usually eat a good breakfast with lots of whole grains, fruit, and protein.
  • mikehart164
    mikehart164 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    MFP recommends 1200 calories for me and I usually make the mark, give or take 100 calories. When I'm good, I'm fantastic, when I'm bad, I am rediculous . The most exercise I get is a 2 mile run/walk on the treadmill any where from 4.8 mph to 6.2. I like the treadmill and eliptical becasue I feel that they are both great cardios and I feel like I get a lot for the 30 minutes. I struggle with breakfast because I get up at 4:00 am and usually don't want anything that early. I will eat at work at around 8:30, usually fruit. I like my diet because I eat exactly what I want, I just usually eat a portion that fits into my calorie count. I snack occasionally, usually something sweet, but I try not to start because I can't stop. Feel free to look at my diary. I weight and measure everything. I'm trying to stay away from gluten, but I do have it occasionally. Looking forward to the help and hope that I can help others.

You need to eat something as soon as you wake up to get that metabolism burning. Greek Yogurt with a 1/4 Cup of Granola perhaps? Or 1/2 small bagel with Natural PB. Start tomorrow. You got this!
  • mikehart164
    Options
    MFP recommends 1550 for me, and my PT agrees, so that's what I've been doing. I eat incredibly healthily during the week and have a cheat meal on a Saturday. My weight loss has hit a bit of a plateau (after losing 60lbs so far) so I'm considering doing that TDEE - 20% thing, or at least increasing my calories slightly as I think my deficit has been too big.

An average day:
    breakfast - either porridge made with a bit of milk and mainly water, or poached eggs (1 yolk, 2 whites), toast and baked beans
    snack: fruit/nuts/oatcake (either, not all!)
    lunch: tuna or chicken salad
    snack: see above
    dinner: something like chicken again, or fish, with veg, or sometimes a jacket potato with tuna
    snack: low fat natural yoghurt

I generally have my 5 a day, if not more. My biggest vice is coffee I guess. I only have it with milk, but my PT says that too much caffeine can hinder weight loss.

Is your goal is 1550 and you burn 1000 calories a day I would recommend eating 2000 to replace some of the fuel used during exercise this will assist in building a little muscle and put you in a better spot. You can only run at a 500-1000 calorie deficit for around 3-6 months before the scale stops moving generally. Do this for about 2 weeks break the cycle and then drop it back down again!
  • Lainny21
    Lainny21 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1400-1500 calories a day. I try to watch the amount of fat I eat. I also try to stay away from "white" carbs. I have a hard time drinking my daily amount of water. Keeping water bottles around me helps. :)
  • mikehart164
    Options
    I think that the most important thing is not to consider that one is on a diet, but a healthy eating plan for life, which includes treats, chocolate, pizzas, birthday do's, restaurant meals and so on. But all in moderation. The worst thing about a diet is that one sticks to it, loses the weight, then goes back to "normal" eating - which is what put the weight on in the first place!

Yeah "Diet" is just my word for what you put in your mouth daily. I guess I should rephrase "FOOD INTAKE" =p
  • mikehart164
    Options
    My diet... wow... that's a loaded subject! LOL... I am pretty good with food. I do not crave or even want sweets, so that's not an issue. I eat a lean cuisine meal at lunch. I drink at least 8 bottles of water a day. And thru the week, I eat a sandwich and soup for supper or something equally low cal.

My Problems!!

1. Beer is my biggest downfall, this maybe an odd problem area for a woman but there it is. I know this should be an easy one. 96 calories per can of totally empty calories. Common sense says just dont do it!!! . BUT it's part of my life. In the evenings, my husband and I sit and talk and have a couple of beers together. It's just what we do, what we've always done, and our downtime. I do figure these calories into my total every day.
    Also, most nights we eat very late. Then go to bed. I've read alot about eating late. Some advice says it's a no-no, some say as long as your under your calories, then your fine. So I just don't know.

2. Weekends - We have have a large group of friends. Almost every weekend year round we grill, go to the lake, etc... (again, beer is an issue as far as calories go) There is no part of any of our weekend life that is fitness or nutrient oriented. i.e. In my world, folks think fried okra or squash is healty because it's "vegetables"... LOL

I want and need to find a way to make all this work for me. I'm getting older but we still live a young and active lifestyle. I want to feel and look good and still be able to be a part of my world of friends and life!

By all means drink the beer~! Here is what I want you to do. Whatever you burn a day calorie wise currently say 500 calories I want you to find a way to do an extra 200 calories a day this will counteract the beer. 1-2 drinks a day have some promising research on reducing stress less risk of heart disease and so on. Up to 10% of your diet can be empty calories if the rest of the diet is spot on and you compensate for the extra intake. I drink on a friday. But I kill myself all week to allow myself those extra 500-1500 calories I may consume. That is part of you and your husbands together time and that I would never take away from you!!
  • mikehart164
    Options
    I try to eat a high protein breakfast most or all mornings. This consists usually of a protein shake or eggs and toast. Lunches are often leftovers, grilled chicken breast or a tunafish sandwich. I have been trying to have a colorful vegetable with lunch like carrots or broccoli. Dinners are my biggest meal. It is usually something with 90/10 lean ground beef or chicken. I am trying to plan to eat a healthy snack between 2 and 5 pm because I noticed that I am usually really hungry then and don't make the best snacking choices. Nighttimes are hard for me not to go over my calories because I like to eat something before bed sometimes. I usually have completed logging my food by then and since I usually have enough calories I don't always put it.in which isn't a good practice for me because I am estimating and doing math in my head which I am not always good at. I aim for 1720 calories per day because that is what MFP recommends to lose one pound per week. I have lost 6 lbs since switching from losing 2 lbs per week to 1. That is in about 11 weeks. I used to do 1200 or 1300 calories per day but I wasn't losing much weight at all because I would go from one extreme to the other with my eating. I would like to do better with my diet for this challenge so I can lose more during this twelve week time period.

Late at night 10-12 almonds with a little cinnamon will blunt your hunger and allow you too finish the night strong.
  • lizlashley2009
    lizlashley2009 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy during the week. Lots of fruits and vegetables. But, I LOVE red wine... and when I drink wine, I LOVE cheese and crackers. I think that's my biggest downfall.
    I LOVE my red wine tooooooooo

What I have found is the laughing cow cheese in a wedge about 50 calories and the I use nut crackers called blue diamond do 8 crackers for the wedge is 65 so it's only 115 calories
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    ChildrenCryinNCoffee Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm all about eating a rainbow and aiming for around 1800 calories. My dairy is open and anyone can view it. I do not do shakes, diet plans, protein supplements, etc. I eat real food and real food only. I don't deprive myself, I have treats.
  • ashtonb87
    ashtonb87 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Currently I've been trying to "eat clean." I've eliminated wheat almost entirely from my diet. I was having some problems with acne, despite being 25, and have noticed it has cleared up. I've been striving to eat 3 meals and 1-2 snacks a day. Old fashioned oatmeal is usually what I have for breakfast with some truvia. Then I eat the following for snacks and meals: protein meal bars (not really clean eating), tuna, salad with tuna, boiled eggs, raw or cooked veggies, yogurt, green smoothies, brown rice, chicken, fruit (bananas, oranges, apples, pears mainly), etc. I cheat pretty frequently and would like to bring that down to once a week. Also, I would like to start drinking some protein shakes as I add in more strength training. Any suggestions on protein powders?
  • Culanow
    Culanow Posts: 11
    Options
    I can do that!! It will certainly make cranking up the exercise even easier if I feel like I can enjoy my life without guilt! It's Awsome that you get the necessity of LIVING while trying to get back in shape and lose weight!!
  • tppchef
    tppchef Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I just upped my calories to 2000. I've stalled for weeks, and decided that I was starving my body due to my level of activity.

Breakfast: Two oatmeal packets, two eggs with Turkey Sausage, or Cheerios with bear naked granola
    Lunch: Left-Overs. Salad, Wrapped sandwiches, pre-made meals
    Dinner: Fish 2x, Chicken or Ground Turkey 3x, & red meat only once a week
    Two Snacks a day

I never eat fast food. Soda is almost completely out of my diet. I do like an adult beverage, but never have more than two even when I drink. Most of the time, I will have a hot tea first then switch to a drink just so I won't have two drinks. It's a timed out event after my son goes to bed. I try to maintain a good sleep schedule during the week, but really enjoy sleeping in on the weekends that I don't have work. I'm active, I keep good food around, but haven't found my sweet spot for food intake yet.
  • MarlaStuck
    MarlaStuck Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I think that the most important thing is not to consider that one is on a diet, but a healthy eating plan for life, which includes treats, chocolate, pizzas, birthday do's, restaurant meals and so on. But all in moderation. The worst thing about a diet is that one sticks to it, loses the weight, then goes back to "normal" eating - which is what put the weight on in the first place!

Yeah "Diet" is just my word for what you put in your mouth daily. I guess I should rephrase "FOOD INTAKE" =p
    I enjoy a healthy low calorie vegetarian diet 90/10 rule. I allow myself 10% culinary pleasure a week (chocolate :))
  • Overcomer7737
    Overcomer7737 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm eating over my calories almost every day. I've been on MFP about a week. I'm starting to measure out portions and saw a post that says to plan your meals the day before. So, my goal is to implement that, I think that will help. I'm still feeling my way around on the site. I never realized how many calories I was actually taking in...aagghh! So glad my Dr. recommended a food diary. This one specifically.

I get stuck when I emotionally eat, knowing full well that I am. I need new tools to break that habit.
  • bits4226
    bits4226 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My meals are pretty straight forward and the same with little variety (which works for me). Usually includes oatmeal, flaxseed, milk (soy), and some fruit. Lunch is a salad of some kind. I premake them in those tall chinese ice tea containers. i have a food scale(i suggest to get one to all) and i make 100gram packages of things in snack bags this include blueberries, stringbeans, snap peas, carrots ect. making 100gram baggies:

1. makes me feel like a drug dealer or some (jk but not really i feel like im doing something strange)
    2. makes it easier for me to log what and how much im eating.
    3. Keeps me on track and prevent me from wondering how much i ate

I usually prep my snacks twice a week and it takes about an hour but i can just grab and go premade baggies.

My meats are usually the same but in 3 ounce increments.

my diet issues right now is that i have a hard time getting enough protein and i never have time to cook chicken or things as such.
    oh I also boil egg, usually 6 at a time and keep in the fridge.
    I will take a pic if I get a chance so you guys can see.