Societal Pressure

Options
13»

Replies

• kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm lucky that my parents don't pressure me. I'm also lucky that both my brothers are in long term hopefully the "one" type relationships and that at least one couple will hopefully produce grand babies one day.

As for society yes I get it sometimes that..you're a great catch...why are you single..why haven't you managed to even have a bf yet.

And the problem is..I WANT one (a Man, a Husband/bf, partner in crime, lover, friend ect). I want babies, and at 36 every month that passes means one less chance of being a mom in a relationship like my parents had which is what I would like.

But I can't change the past and the fact that I spent my best "dating" years being the size of a house and very unattractive to the opposite sex...I can only be me now, keep healthy and live life. If I'm alone so be it. I will have missed out on something I would have greatly enjoyed in being a parent. But I'll get dogs and friends and make my own weird little family that way I guess.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm lucky that my parents don't pressure me. I'm also lucky that both my brothers are in long term hopefully the "one" type relationships and that at least one couple will hopefully produce grand babies one day.

As for society yes I get it sometimes that..you're a great catch...why are you single..why haven't you managed to even have a bf yet.

And the problem is..I WANT one (a Man, a Husband/bf, partner in crime, lover, friend ect). I want babies, and at 36 every month that passes means one less chance of being a mom in a relationship like my parents had which is what I would like.

But I can't change the past and the fact that I spent my best "dating" years being the size of a house and very unattractive to the opposite sex...I can only be me now, keep healthy and live life. If I'm alone so be it. I will have missed out on something I would have greatly enjoyed in being a parent. But I'll get dogs and friends and make my own weird little family that way I guess.

you are awesome! :flowerforyou: I love your attitude.

I think marriage and kids will happen when and if its meant to happen - that will be at a different time for everyone.

Do I want those things? Of course, but for whatever reason its not happening right now, and I'm ok with that. :smile:
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    But I also think a lot of people, especially women, reach an age where they try to convince themselves that they're happy not being married because they need something with which to deflect all the prying questions and raised eyebrows from people who assume there must be something inherently wrong with you if you're over 30 and not married.
    Without going as far as talking about marriage, yes, this is a very common behaviour where people will "appropriate themselves" the rejection they face, as a coping mechanism.
    It's easier to reject yourself before anyone does it when people tend to reject you.

A lot of the people who claim right, left and center they are "single and happy to be!" are in reality simply not on anyone's wish list. Then they get busy and pretend that they don't have time for relationships, whereas they secretly crave for a relationship but relationships don't come to them, instead they get rejected. So they go further in their madness.
    You can spot these people when at the slightest sign of interest from a potential partner they don't hesitate to leave their busy lifestyle the next day and are all over this person.

You will never ever get someone to admit this though. These people are lying to themselves, otherwise they would just have to admit that their life is a big pile of poopoo - but that would go against their coping mechanism.
    The areas where you will see that often are marriage, children (No, I have never wanted children! says the woman who realises she will probably never have them), relationships (I just haven't found the right person!).
    I guess it's easier to say that than to admit our failures.

Why can't you be both single and happy and willing to jump into a relationship if you meet the right person? I don't see the two as being mutually exclusive.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Yes, it can be a coping mechanism, but what is wrong with that? What if those folks are perfectly content to "lie" to themselves and live full and valuable lives, despite the fact they haven't secured a relationship or child or any other traditional marker of adulthood?
    There is nothing wrong with that if I can avoid them. I just roll my eyes every time these people open their mouth.
    I don't normally spend my time with these people though.
    Would it make us feel better if they said "no, of course I'm not happy - I'm completely miserable alone and my life is a big pile of poopoo and I will only feel good and/or worthy if I secure the very things I don't seem able to achieve, which therefore sets me up nicely for a lifetime of disgruntled unhappiness and prescription medication"?
    I personally think that it would be a better start, yes. Rather than trying to cover the corpse lying in your lounge with a carpet, start doing some work to get rid of that embarrassing body. It's going to be there, at the back of your mind, all the time. So I suppose I would rather have these people face their "problems" rather than them being wrecks behind an apparent "perfect facade".
  • veggiehottie
    veggiehottie Posts: 590 Member
    Options

I can completely relate to this. I DO have a child, and that is another story in itself, but dating is so foreign to me after spending the majority of my life close to 300 pounds. I avoided men like the plague and was in shock when they would occasionally show interest.

I keep on hoping that I will find someone who gets me and my life story. In the meantime I enjoy my little family (me, my son, and the furry creatures) the way it is.

I have definitely felt the societal pressure. People giving me unsolicited tips on where/how to meet guys, etc. etc. Sometimes it is annoying, but since I do want a relationship, I just smile and tell myself that they mean well.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    But I also think a lot of people, especially women, reach an age where they try to convince themselves that they're happy not being married because they need something with which to deflect all the prying questions and raised eyebrows from people who assume there must be something inherently wrong with you if you're over 30 and not married.
    Without going as far as talking about marriage, yes, this is a very common behaviour where people will "appropriate themselves" the rejection they face, as a coping mechanism.
    It's easier to reject yourself before anyone does it when people tend to reject you.

A lot of the people who claim right, left and center they are "single and happy to be!" are in reality simply not on anyone's wish list. Then they get busy and pretend that they don't have time for relationships, whereas they secretly crave for a relationship but relationships don't come to them, instead they get rejected. So they go further in their madness.
    You can spot these people when at the slightest sign of interest from a potential partner they don't hesitate to leave their busy lifestyle the next day and are all over this person.

I passed your test :yawn: Good thing too, cause I was super worried about your judgment on how I'm a failure as a woman since I'm content with my life as it is and won't drop it for just about anyone just so you don't think of me as a "reject".

/sarcasm