Stage 2

Options

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Did my first stage 2 workout today.... some bits I like, some I don't. Did NOT get the front squat... am going to start another post on that. Lunging etc all ok..... nice to try out the cables, although I felt like a weakling in comparison to what I have been lifting and then having to drop to 20lbs for the cables. They are prob a bit light but the next one up is too heavy still. Looking forward to seeing some more strength gains here though!
  • amanda_gent
    amanda_gent Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!

Okay, so I did workout A of Stage 2 yesterday and am going to see if I can tackle workout B tomorrow. I am a little nervous!

Much like you, jo_marnes, I had some issues with workout A - mainly the front squat push press (whatever it's called). I can squat 95# backloaded so I started with the 45# ply bar on the front - but yikes that was too heavy. My wrists were KILLING me, so for the second set I did a 30# barbell, which was better. Still, I find the move incredibly awkward. Hopefully this move will improve with practice! I liked the rest of the workout well enough. I enjoyed the horizontal woodchop because the cable machine made a satisfying clanging sound every time it went up and down! :laugh: I only could do two plates on it, though, and I was sore today. New muscles being born!

I think I messed up with the static lunge because I put my back foot on a flat bench about 2' high instead of a low platform, which means I sorta ended up doing a bulgarian split squat and now I see that workout B has those. Whoops. I think I'm going to study some YouTube videos before I get to the gym because these moves are a bit more complicated than what I'm used to. I happen to love step ups because they're so straightforward. Hard but simple!

Workout B also has the HIIT at the end but I do a high intensity spin class on days I'm not lifting. What you do all think about the HIIT in my situation - do I need to do it? I feel like it may be overkill for me -- but also feel slightly guilty for modifying the program at all. Still, my gut tells me not to do HIIT and spinning back to back (mainly due to lack of recovery time) and I'm not willing to give up spin.
    So I guess I answered my own question LOL unless someone can give me a convincing reason why I need to do it.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    chic - where do you go to vacation if you live in FL? isn't every day a vacation?:wink:

We're taking the youngest 2 kids to Washington DC. We've never been , so it should be a blast!
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I have always wanted to go to DC! How exciting!! Hope you all have a fantastic trip!

Did S2B3 yesterday. Knee is still a little sore, so I didn't increase much and took it easy on the lunges. Otherwise, felt like I got a good workout. Will not be lifting tomorrow because my entire family will be running our first 5k of the season. This one is really special to us because we are running for our best friend's daughter. She has Turner's Syndrome and our great little city is sponsoring a "Color Blast" run, similar to a Color Run. All proceeds benefit our local agencies that help individuals with disabilites. The really awesome part is that they were expecting around 500, and over 4000 have registered!! It's going to be a mad-house, but totally worth it!

Everyone have a fantastic weekend!! :drinker:
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Amanda - I am with you on spin! love it!! I agree with you that b2b might be too much, but I think there is evidence that a lifting session followed by hiit is particularly good at fat burning. In the end, most of us are modifying in some way or another.

chic - enjoy DC. It is a GREAT place to run...last time I was there I did a great "monument run"!

jcjs - enjoy the 5K!!
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Did workout B for the first time today. Lots of new moves but loved it for the burn factor - those intervals really finish it off hey?!

I didn't change my deadlifts though - I use a squat rack and the step doesn't fit in the frame. I'm quite happy to just improve my deadlift at this stage so will keep working that.

I was surprised about my strength on the underhand lat pull down - 90lbs straight off the bat. Hadn't got that far with the overhand - clearly my biceps are fairly strong in comparison.

On the lateral flexion, I was amazed how much difference the raised leg can make! I went to stage 3 straight away as have done side raises etc for years, always good to add a new twist to some old moves!
  • glitterballv
    glitterballv Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies,

What do you guys think about lifting when ill? I have a stinking cold at the moment, stuffed nose, literally no voice and coughing. I have had such a busy week that I haven't lifted since Saturday and I'm feeling really guilty! I'm due to do workout a- what do you think? Bad ideas? Rest up or hit the gym?
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    From the neck up, it's ok to do a light workout, but take it easy. Below the neck, rest up.
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Just started stage 2 today, really tough but I'm more worried about workout B. I'm sure I'm going to let go of the dumbbell during the cuban snatch and hit somebody :(
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Just started stage 2 today, really tough but I'm more worried about workout B. I'm sure I'm going to let go of the dumbbell during the cuban snatch and hit somebody :(

I never had enough momentum that it was an issue!
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options

I never had enough momentum that it was an issue!

Ah I have plenty of momentum, its the coordination and balance that are a challenge :p
  • glitterballv
    glitterballv Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Finally got a2 done today, and managed to add a tiny bit of weight to the fspp! Woo! A total of 20kg! Very much limited by my stupid wrists...

Feeling a little held back today by grip strength too. I could increase my weight for step ups and lunges but my hands are only just coping with what I'm lifting just now. Any tips to improve this?
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Finally got a2 done today, and managed to add a tiny bit of weight to the fspp! Woo! A total of 20kg! Very much limited by my stupid wrists...

Feeling a little held back today by grip strength too. I could increase my weight for step ups and lunges but my hands are only just coping with what I'm lifting just now. Any tips to improve this?

Great job glitter! Check out Jo marns' thread on the FSPP. There is some great wrist-saving advice there.
  • tessa175
    tessa175 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, I just wanted to introduce myself, I start stage two tomorrow morning my trainer. i'm super excited to get going but a little nervous about the new moves. How long does it take you ladies to finish the B workout?
  • tessa175
    Options
    Hi ladies, I just wanted to introduce myself, I start stage two tomorrow morning my trainer. i'm super excited to get going but a little nervous about the new moves. How long does it take you ladies to finish the B workout?

Ok super embarrassed, I did A1 this morning, and when I did the fspp, I totally smoked myself in the chin with the bar... My trainer had me do the second set with dumbbells :blushing: But I think I'll try it again on saturday.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    I was horrified when I first looked at this workout - looks so long! But actually takes me about 1 hour 15 mins with a good warm up and cool down as well xx
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Tessa - I grazed my chin one time...it really scared me! Hope you are alright. I modified the abs, but it never took me more than 50 min.
  • nursekern
    nursekern Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Starting stage 2 Friday, starting to get excited about it :)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I did my first workout for stage 2 last night. Definitely had to go fairly slow with the FSPPs, but by the end of the second set I was getting the hang of it. The wood chop works your obliques like something fierce. Much better burn than any machine had given me. I went lower weight for this first workout, just to get the range of motion down (expect for the step-ups of course). Finding balance for the one-point rows was interesting, as that is one of my major issues is balance.

Beginning stats for last night were:

FSPP - Bar
    Step-ups - 20 lbs
    One-Point Rows - 10 lbs
    Static Lunge - BW (balance issues)
    Push-ups - Declined off of step
    Plank - 60 sec
    Horizontal Wood Chops - 30 lbs
  • tessa175
    Options
    I completed S2B1 today, and though it took me almost an hour and a half, I have to say I really liked it. The BSS was way harder than I thought it was going to be, my non dominant leg was burning by the end! But the Cuban snatch was easier than it looked so it kind of balanced out. Can't wait to try the FSPP again though, saturday here I come!