Plateau Woes

Options

Replies

• patrickmathews
    Options
    I guess I have some making up to do for yesterday!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Don't compensate, just start from today and move forward.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Don't compensate, just start from today and move forward.

^yep. Totally agree with this.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply and the plan. We exchanged a lot of info in PMs and I think you have a good idea of my history.

As for the labs - I looked into it and it's a lot more expensive than I thought it would be so I am going to have to skip that. For some reason, leptin and cortisol labs seem to cost around $500 put together - to get them done before and after the diet break (as much as it would make for really great info) is just too much to spend.

I don't see any reason not to try a diet break as you mentioned above. I'll start it tomorrow and stick with 2300kcals/day it for 7 days, then go to 2600kcals/day for an additional 7 days. The only question I have is how important it is to get all the protein you have prescribed. 165 grams of protein every day is going to be tough unless I start using supplements. I'm open to suggestions as to how to get that much protein every day conventionally.

Weirdly enough thats almost exactly my protein requirement and I don't protein shake - diary is open.
  • patrickmathews
    Options
    So I'm two days in and I weighed in at 223 and 25.4% body fat this morning! Prior to starting I was 216 and 23^. Should I expect this much change this soon? I did go over by a few calories yesterday but I can't imagine it would have an affect so quickly.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    So I'm two days in and I weighed in at 223 and 25.4% body fat this morning! Prior to starting I was 216 and 23^. Should I expect this much change this soon? I did go over by a few calories yesterday but I can't imagine it would have an affect so quickly.

You're just gaining some water weight. Keep an eye on it though, and check again in a few days.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Just to add a link that hopefully will help with your protein target. I posted a topic related to high protein foods:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • patrickmathews
    Options
    Checking in:

Weight has come off - back to 216.2 and 24.5% body fat this morning.

One thing I'm noticing - I have very little energy for cardio type workouts. I easily become winded much sooner than I used too a week or two ago.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Checking in:

Weight has come off - back to 216.2 and 24.5% body fat this morning.

One thing I'm noticing - I have very little energy for cardio type workouts. I easily become winded much sooner than I used too a week or two ago.

Glad the weight came back down. That's just fluid fluctuating.

Regarding the cardio performance, I'm actually not sure what could cause that considering we're increasing intake across the board. Are you feeling fine otherwise?
  • patrickmathews
    Options
    I'm feeling fine otherwise but it is a definite change. I used to be able to do 45 - 90 minutes at various cardio activities (swimming, eliptical - less on treadmill and stairmaster). Now, after 5 minutes I feel like I can't go on. I ended my cardio after 10 minutes today so I would have energy for the rest of the workout.

On that note - I did do a big workout after that in terms of strength training and cycling - about 1850 calories total, so I can't be that bad off.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I'm feeling fine otherwise but it is a definite change. I used to be able to do 45 - 90 minutes at various cardio activities (swimming, eliptical - less on treadmill and stairmaster). Now, after 5 minutes I feel like I can't go on. I ended my cardio after 10 minutes today so I would have energy for the rest of the workout.

On that note - I did do a big workout after that in terms of strength training and cycling - about 1850 calories total, so I can't be that bad off.

Sometimes we just have off days, I know I do where it's either lack of sleep or something else I cannot pinpoint. Let us know if it was more than a one off.
  • patrickmathews
    Options
    Update:

I've been between 215 lbs. and 217 lbs. and 23.5% - 24.5% - no real change in weight or body fat percentage. I'm still more easily worn out more quickly doing stair-master or treadmill at the gym. I'm also struggling to get the amount of protein in without having a somewhat wacky diet. For instance - some nights I end up eating multiple protein bars, last night, I had two chicken breasts. I know this isn't permanent, but it is interesting how often I am eating around 100g / day unless I really put some effort into it - my body doesn't seem to crave protein in the same way it craves carbs.

Other than the lack of energy on the cardio machines, I feel fine. I am starting 2600 calories a day starting today so we'll see what happens next.

Patrick
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Thanks for the update.

Hopefully the upped calories will help you with your energy levels and will give you more 'wiggle room' to hit your protein goals. i had a quick look at your diary and noticed you like yogurt - if you swap this out with greek yogurt that will help your protein a bit as it is much higher in protein that 'normal' yogurt.
  • patrickmathews
    Options
    Thanks for the update.

Hopefully the upped calories will help you with your energy levels and will give you more 'wiggle room' to hit your protein goals. i had a quick look at your diary and noticed you like yogurt - if you swap this out with Greek yogurt that will help your protein a bit as it is much higher in protein that 'normal' yogurt.

Greek yogurt is my new friend. 23 g of protein for 160 calories - it's more efficient than a protein bar. It make a great substitute for sour cream.

I managed to hit my goals yesterday and then some. I found my self 540 calories short at the end of the day even though I was past my protein goal. I ended up having a chocolate bar (been a long time since I did that). I realize this may sound like a dumb question, but if I'm that short on calories and I'm doing this increased calorie intake for a few weeks, I should not let myself go to get without all my calories, or at least not 540 short on calories, right?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Thanks for the update.

Hopefully the upped calories will help you with your energy levels and will give you more 'wiggle room' to hit your protein goals. i had a quick look at your diary and noticed you like yogurt - if you swap this out with Greek yogurt that will help your protein a bit as it is much higher in protein that 'normal' yogurt.

Greek yogurt is my new friend. 23 g of protein for 160 calories - it's more efficient than a protein bar. It make a great substitute for sour cream.

I managed to hit my goals yesterday and then some. I found my self 540 calories short at the end of the day even though I was past my protein goal. I ended up having a chocolate bar (been a long time since I did that). I realize this may sound like a dumb question, but if I'm that short on calories and I'm doing this increased calorie intake for a few weeks, I should not let myself go to get without all my calories, or at least not 540 short on calories, right?

This is where you'll have to apply a good degree of self-honesty.

Try to hit your calories and macros as well as you can (you should attempt to get close to your goal even when your goal is 2600 -- but don't do so if you feel like you're forcing food in).
    I think you should allow yourself to eat some chocolate or ice cream or whatever else you want provided that you can meet the following conditions:

1) the majority of your diet is nutritious (fruits, vegetables, nutrient dense foods)
    2) the inclusion of some chocolate or ice cream doesn't cause you to binge and eat the whole pail of ice cream/etc.

If you do protein powder, stir a scoop into the greek yogurt sometime. It tastes amazing and really jacks your protein up fast.
  • patrickmathews
    Options
    Update:

As of now, I'm about half way through with the three week long increase in calorie intake. I'm doing better at hitting my numbers. I'm also not gaining with all the extra calories. I think this is a good sign as it seems that once I'm back in calorie deficit I'll probably lose weight again.

I'm due for to increase again this Friday. What numbers should I be plugging in? I'm at 2600 now.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Update:

As of now, I'm about half way through with the three week long increase in calorie intake. I'm doing better at hitting my numbers. I'm also not gaining with all the extra calories. I think this is a good sign as it seems that once I'm back in calorie deficit I'll probably lose weight again.

I'm due for to increase again this Friday. What numbers should I be plugging in? I'm at 2600 now.

This is great news. One of us will get back to you very soon, I'm going to revisit your info.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Parick:

Once you've made it a full week at 2600 we'd like you increase intake to around 2800-2900 (average in that range) and sit there for another week. At the end of that week, we'll discuss things and either stay there for a few more days or chop your intake down and see what happens.

How are you feeling?
  • patrickmathews
    Options
    Sounds great!
  • patrickmathews
    Options
    I missed the last quesion - I'm feeling pretty good. Several things I have noticed:

I am having problems falling asleep at my usual bedtime and have been staying up later and getting less sleep overall. This has not been a problem really but I think it does interfere with weight loss. My overall energy level seems higher than I'm used to, and I'm just not tired as early as I used to be. My guess is the extra calories.

I'm still having a hard time doing cardio. This morning I went swimming (with my heart rate monitor). Normally I can hold my heart rate at 160 bpm and keep going with little or no breaks for 40 - 60 minutes. Today, I felt like I needed a bread even though my heart rate was sitting at a very comfortable 135. I also noticed that my muscles weren't straining at all but I felt out of breath. I'm not sure this has anything to do directly with diet. My guess is one of the following is happening:

Not getting as much sleep as I'm used to.

Most of my gym time is spent weight training now, perhaps my muscles are using more oxygen than they used to and my pulmonary system hasn't caught up.

I'm just old, fat and out of shape (although it seems to me a month or two ago I was much better at extended cardio).