When's Your Next Half Marathon?

Options
What's your goal time?
Is this your first?
How much training are you doing a week?

Would love to know where everyone's at :)

Replies

• hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just joined the group. My first 1/2 is April 28th. I'm hoping to finish in less than 2 hrs.20 minutes. But hey just finishing would be awesome. This week Mon.rest Tues & wed 5 miles, thurs. is my 4 mile tempo run, Fri is a rest day then I have a 15K race on Saurday followed by a 4 mile recovery run Sunday. Things are starting to ramp up !!
  • xcmum
    xcmum Posts: 136
    Options
    Hey. Good luck for Saturday! Let us know how you get on?

The one i'm looking at doing is June 02nd. It would be my first and i'd be hoping i can do it under 2:30!!
    This week training Tues 30mins,Wed 30mins, Thur 45mins (road cycling on Friday 2 hours of hills) rest Saturday then 50 mins Sunday. Easy comfortable pace the program tells me. Weekday runs are pushing the buggy with the kids and then the weekend ones will be running alone :)
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I signed up for my first half today: it will be on August 25 and I have a second one on September 22. For now, my training is tow short runs (5-7 k) a week and one long run (currently 10 k, but that will gradually increase).
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    2nd 1/2 in May. I have a 3 day split of Sprint Speed Work/Tempo Run/Long Run. My goal time right now is to finish under 2:10. I ran a 2:25 in the fall but knew I could do better if I wasn't hurt.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    My next HM is in less than 2 weeks - April 6th. It is my second and I am hoping for under 2:10. My first was in the fall, and was 2:34, but I have run 2:18 in a training run, so maybe I can do a lot better than 2:10, who knows. I started my training plan already running close to 25 miles a week, so have run 4 13 - 13.8 mile runs in the last month and an half. I am running 5 days a week, usually, and about 30 miles per week now, with most of them being easy runs, and one speed work or tempo run per week. I also try to do short kettlebell workouts 2 - 3 times a week and yoga a few times.
  • sportzmom23
    sportzmom23 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My first is May 5! I just want to finish, run, walk crawl :-) and under the 3:30 time cut off.... Want my effort to'count'
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    My first is May 5. Goal time is 2 hours. I run 3 miles Tues 6 miles Wed and 3 on Thursday. Friday and Saturday are cross training and Sunday is long run. This week is 9 miles. I am running it with my husband, we have been training for it together as well. He isn't a newbie just helping me.

I am starting to get nervous!!!! But we go see our 18 yo graduate from Marine Corps basic training the weekend before so I am sure I will be still running on pure adrenaline and bouncing around on cloud 9!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    My first 1/2 is May 20th. I am training now..I just hope to finish within the alloted time..anything lower..would be awesome!
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My first is coming up on April 7th. Running of the Elks in Elk Grove, CA. Goal time is 2:15. Completed my long run training at 12 miles and am now tapering a little. No doubt on being able to run it if I stick to the right pace. Start slow at 10:30 - 11:00 and do negative splits so that I finish at about 9:30 pace. At least that's my plan. :drinker:
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    May 19 Colfax marathon:
    Goal is sub 2:00
  • mair123
    mair123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My very first 1/2 Marathon is May 5th- the Long Branch 1/2 Marathon in NJ. I am following Hal Higdon's Novice 2 plan and am currently in week 9. Being that this is my first race, my goal is to just finish- even if I have to crawl to the finish line. I am a SLOW runner and my pacing is all over the place. As training continues, I have seen some improvement. I think I under estimated my pace, but I'd rather start off slower in the pack, then think I am faster than I really am- get winded and fall behind.

Mon- rest
    Tues-3
    Wed- 5
    Thurs- 3
    Friday- Rest
    Saturday- 10.5 miles
    Sunday- cross training

So excited and nervous at the same time!!! Good luck to everyone in their training!!!
  • Runner_Bob
    Runner_Bob Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi there everyone...
    My 2nd half is on April 7th - Atlantic City, NJ and am looking forward to it. Don't feel quite as prepared as my first one in September, as I lost a couple of weeks training due to a back injury.

My goal - another runner suggested having 3 goals - one you would be ecstatic about about, one fall-back and one in the middle. My goal last time was just to finish and had a time of 1:59. This time, my 3 goals are 1:49, 1:55 and 1:58.

I have been running about 25 miles/week on average.

Looking for other MFP friends who are runners, so please feel free to friend me. :smile:

Good luck to all on your next half!
    Bob
  • allday2
    allday2 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Just did the Shamrock 1/2

Up coming so far...

Run the Dream 8K and 1/2..Williamsburg, VA
    Air Force 1/2 marathon.... Ohio
    Navy Freedom 1/2... Norfolk, VA

Always looking for more! ......Trying to get under the 1:40 mark this year.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    My next half marathon is on April 20th for the Salt Lake City Half. This will be my 10th half marathon in three years! My very first half was this race three years ago. :happy:

I'm a slow runner (though I read somewhere my pace is fairly average for females running half marathons), but I would like to finish this race in under 2:20 since I finished it at 2:21 last year.

I'm signed up to the Missoula Half Marathon in July and trying to talk my hubby into doing Pocatello the end of August and Vegas in November. :tongue:

I run three days a week and do some other activity (spin bike, strength training, hiking, DVD) three days a week. Wednesday and Fridays are short runs (3 to 4.5 miles) and Sunday is my long run (6 to 11 miles).
  • wurstera
    wurstera Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for my first half marathon for this September in Racine, WI (September 22, Biggest Loser Half). I don't really have a goal time cuz I"m just starting to get back into running again. I ran a 10 mile run in Colorado Springs, Colorado about 3 years ago and finished in 1hr 27mins but I was also 50lbs lighter!

Looking forward to training and doing it for that amazing feeling of crossing the finish line! I've been walking for and hour or more every day so far and have incorporated some moderate running for right now (slowly breaking myself in).
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My next one, which will be my 2nd is June 1. It is known as "the fastest half marathon is the world" because it is all downhill. Literally!!! 2,125 ft elevation drop from start to finish. I finished my first half last November in 2:02:30, so for this one, I want to finish in 1:57:00, which is a 9:00/mile pace. Sounds easy with it being downhill, but I hear it's really tough on the quads!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    My first is coming up on April 7th. Running of the Elks in Elk Grove, CA. Goal time is 2:15. Completed my long run training at 12 miles and am now tapering a little. No doubt on being able to run it if I stick to the right pace. Start slow at 10:30 - 11:00 and do negative splits so that I finish at about 9:30 pace. At least that's my plan. :drinker:

Sounds like a great plan! I am trying to figure out what pace to start out at so I can do the same thing - my goal is under 2:10. I don't want to start too slow and then not be able to make it up. I just keep running the numbers, cause I am not sure what I am capable of! I think I want to try to start in the 10:00 range for the first 5 miles or so, and then speed up. I love the feeling of finishing strong - don't want the last half to be torture. The last couple miles can be torture - thats OK!
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    my 1st half for the year (3rd total) will be 7th April. The Geelong Half Marathon. It will be a relatively fast course, So I'm hoping for a sub 1h55 time
  • ssmit103
    ssmit103 Posts: 5
    Options
    I signed up for my first half today: it will be on August 25 and I have a second one on September 22. For now, my training is tow short runs (5-7 k) a week and one long run (currently 10 k, but that will gradually increase).

I had to reply to because mine are the EXACT same dates as you! I wonder if we are running the same ones? I am running one in Boulder, CO August 25th and it's my first too :-) And then I am (hoping) to run one in Jackson, WY September 22nd. I'm only doing 3 mile runs right now, but I found a 20 week training program that starts at 3 mile runs and builds so I am hoping I will be able to do it! Do you have distance running experience?
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    May 5th, the Great Western in St. Charles IL. I will likely run it (I also race walk) and if I run and the weather is decent I want to try and get under 1:35, but that could be a stretch. If I walk it more like 2:03 or so. Doing about 30 miles a week right now but will notch that up to 35 here in the next couple