Starting the Whole 30 in April - any takers?

Options

Replies

• terwhitcomb
    terwhitcomb Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    April 1st is here!!! Today is the first day of...well many things, but I'm hoping it's the first day to a healthier lifestyle for us! It's early in the morning and I feel strong and positive - I hope you all do too. Please stay in touch. We can do this however you'd like - post your triumphs and struggles so that we can encourage you. Also, I personally would love to see what you're eating and share recipes.
    I know that tonight I'm having salmon baked over beets and asparagus. My Hubs thinks I've gone a little crazy but he's a good sport and willing to support me by eating along with so we'll see how this recipe goes.
    Have a great day everyone - tonight we can cross one off our calendars!
    Here's to a healthy life:flowerforyou:
    Terri
    Don't forget to drink lots of water to flush those toxins today!!
  • terwhitcomb
    Options
    One more thing - weigh in this morning to get a baseline and then HIDE THAT SCALE! No weighins allowed until the thirty days are over - it helps to stay focused on the health benefits and changing your psychological relationship with food!
  • boomboom_laji
    boomboom_laji Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Happy Day one of Whole 30! YAY! I actually did just what you suggested this morning, I weighed myself and then put the scale in a cabinet. For the first time about 15 years. I have to say that my two biggest "fears" with Whole 30 is 1) not having the scale and 2) eating fat. But, I have committed to this and if the authors of Whole 30 say they "can change my life," well.... how much damage can happen in a month.

I had a really tasty breakfast (acorn squash blended with coconut milk and coconut flakes, cinnamon and a drop of vanilla extract.... wow.... delicious! and two hard boiled eggs). Lunch is a sweet potato with some homemade chili and cucumber on top. Dinner, no plans yet.... maybe a salad with greens, chicken and avocado.

Cheers everyone!
  • Marmelg
    Marmelg Posts: 8
    Options
    I am in on this challenge as well!!
  • shvrngrl
    shvrngrl Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited reading everyones post. I'm officially starting on the 8th. So Whole 30 rules also says no calorie counting. Have we thrown out our scales and are not tracking in the diaries? I'm so good with that!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I restarted today! This time I WILL make it 30 days. Feel free to add me, I try to track every meal.
  • mkakids
    Options
    I'm so excited reading everyones post. I'm officially starting on the 8th. So Whole 30 rules also says no calorie counting. Have we thrown out our scales and are not tracking in the diaries? I'm so good with that!

Im tracking, but not restricting. I need to log everything I eat, just to keep myself accountable!
  • mkakids
    Options
    We are having garlic chicken with sweet potatoes and spinach salad tonight for dinner....dh will probably have cereal, lol. He's not on board.....well actuall he is just SUPER PICKY and if all I evered served was hamburgers, or steak with green beans he would hapily eat paleo for the rest of his life. I need more variety!
  • terwhitcomb
    Options
    I am tracking - not for calories but mostly for accountability. Also, I thought it would be fun to see what we are all eating that way if you get bored with your choices. Today went pretty well but I did not eat enough at lunch and came home starved! I didn't have anything already prepared but I had some almonds while I made dinner. The key is going to be planning, planning, planning. When I get that hungry I just want to toss it all out the window. The good news is - I maintained! I get to cross off day 1!!!
    How did you all do?
  • mkakids
    Options
    I am tracking - not for calories but mostly for accountability. Also, I thought it would be fun to see what we are all eating that way if you get bored with your choices. Today went pretty well but I did not eat enough at lunch and came home starved! I didn't have anything already prepared but I had some almonds while I made dinner. The key is going to be planning, planning, planning. When I get that hungry I just want to toss it all out the window. The good news is - I maintained! I get to cross off day 1!!!
    How did you all do?

I was half way through a cup of raw yogurt ( though it was sugar free and homemade) when I realized what I was doing, lol! Oh well. Tomorrow I will remember!
  • bananapancakebella
    Options
    I did pretty well today! I think I need to focus on eating more slowly. I think I'm over-eating healthy (paleo) foods, and not noticing that I'm stuffed until a little while later. Slowing down will help me notice my satiety cues, and hopefully I'll end up eating a little bit less.

I'm also incredibly bloated today. I had tuna salad and guacamole for lunch on a bed of arugula, and afterwards I was incredibly bloated with stomach pain. I'm hoping it's just a reaction from eating more fiber than I'm used to and that my body will adjust. For dinner I had shrimp, scallops and veggies in a curry sauce.
  • CmGoode
    CmGoode Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    One more thing - weigh in this morning to get a baseline and then HIDE THAT SCALE! No weighins allowed until the thirty days are over - it helps to stay focused on the health benefits and changing your psychological relationship with food!

AGREE! I finished my whole30 on Saturday. I didn't weigh myself until the very end. If you have read a lot of the posts on the Whole9 website, then you know that the primary reason for doing the Whole30 is not for weight loss, but rather a change in how you look at food. I know my "relationship" with food has changed, and my goal for the future is to remain eating clean/paleo.

Good luck to everyone. I didn't think I was able to make it, but I rocked it and feel great.... and a little lighter :)
  • CmGoode
    Options
    I did pretty well today! I think I need to focus on eating more slowly. I think I'm over-eating healthy (paleo) foods, and not noticing that I'm stuffed until a little while later. Slowing down will help me notice my satiety cues, and hopefully I'll end up eating a little bit less.

I'm also incredibly bloated today. I had tuna salad and guacamole for lunch on a bed of arugula, and afterwards I was incredibly bloated with stomach pain. I'm hoping it's just a reaction from eating more fiber than I'm used to and that my body will adjust. For dinner I had shrimp, scallops and veggies in a curry sauce.

Did you make sure the tuna was compliant? I had the same issue some of the time.
  • terwhitcomb
    Options
    Good Morning! How is everyone this morning? I wanted to share a lesson I learned...I didn't eat enough! I know right? Never really been a problem in my past, but I think I was so worried about "what" to eat that I just didn't eat enough! I woke up at 2:30 this morning starving and with a headache! I wonder if the headache was a little bit of detox. Regardless I got up at 2:30 and had some raw cashews for protein and a half of a banana (and Ibuprofen) and went back to sleep until the alarm went off at 5:30! Don't really want to repeat that so today I'm trying to make sure that I eat more. I think this is the first challenge for me in changing those food myths. I am having a hard time trying to focus on how I feel physically rather than fighting those psychological demons! It's hard when for so many years I've thought of food in terms of good or bad and fattening or not to change that and look at it as healthy choices vs not so healthy choices. I keep wanting to count calories and meat in general has always been something I've tried to limit for that reason.
    I have a girls night out tonight so this should be interesting - it's at someone's home so I am making a big salad with grilled chicken to take with me. Nothing like walking right in to the fire on day two! Actually day one held it's own challenges - I had a meeting after school yesterday when I was already so hungry. I walked in a couple of minutes late and everyone was eating cupcakes!! The whole room smelled like vanilla. But I have to say that knowing you are all out there struggling too has made me feel more accountable. I love the support.
    Stay tuned I'll let you know how it goes today. Can't wait to hear how you are all doing!
    Heres to healthy days!
    Terri :drinker:
  • mkakids
    Options
    I have a question that I can't find the answer to...I know the whole 30 guidelines say to eat approved foods until full, but what happens when you know its not enough calories? I just started a med that really lowers my appetite. I have to take it. If I exercise, I get about 2400 cals from mfp for the day. I currently have 1750 left for the day and I am STUFFED. The thought of eating anything else makes me want to puke....I feel huge from eating the 650 cals I have eaten today.

I have found over the last few months that if I eat less than 1600 cals I stall. I can eat all my exercise cals and still lose. I have my cals set at 1800 and I lose about .5lbs a week.

Any tips and suggestions? If I eat just high fat foods I won't get the veggies I need in. If I just eat the veggies I wont get the cals. I always cook my veggies in fat (ghee, coconut or olive oil).

How do I force in extra calories when I just don't want to eat? I was having coffee with liberal amounts of cream and sometimes dipping almonds in butter, which helped, but I can't continue that on the whole 30.
  • terwhitcomb
    Options
    That's a really good question! I don't really feel like I'm qualified to answer it though...my first thought is "yes you need more calories than 600 a day!" but then I think that also the idea of Whole30 is to let your body tell you what you should eat - that's why we're not really supposed to count calories. I'm not a doctor though by any stretch of the imagination - just a person who has a crazy sweet tooth that I want to try to get under control! :blushing:
    I'd like to see what other say - also try going to the Whole9 website where you can ask questions I think...Sorry I'm not much help here!
  • shvrngrl
    Options
    I have a question that I can't find the answer to...I know the whole 30 guidelines say to eat approved foods until full, but what happens when you know its not enough calories? I just started a med that really lowers my appetite. I have to take it. If I exercise, I get about 2400 cals from mfp for the day. I currently have 1750 left for the day and I am STUFFED. The thought of eating anything else makes me want to puke....I feel huge from eating the 650 cals I have eaten today.

I have found over the last few months that if I eat less than 1600 cals I stall. I can eat all my exercise cals and still lose. I have my cals set at 1800 and I lose about .5lbs a week.

Any tips and suggestions? If I eat just high fat foods I won't get the veggies I need in. If I just eat the veggies I wont get the cals. I always cook my veggies in fat (ghee, coconut or olive oil).

How do I force in extra calories when I just don't want to eat? I was having coffee with liberal amounts of cream and sometimes dipping almonds in butter, which helped, but I can't continue that on the whole 30.

ISWF has a guideline for the minimum amount you can eat per day. Each meal must consist of a palm size amount of protien, either a thumb, cupped hand, or palm size amount of fat depending on the type of fat and then the rest veg. That is the minimum you HAVE to eat. I think it would be helpful if you listen to things like your energy level rather than your satiety level. If you feel weak and tired eat more. I've never had an issue with not being able to eat without complete and utter abandonment until I was entirely uncomfortable, so I'm not sure I can offer suggestion on eating more! I have never had that issue. :ohwell:
  • shvrngrl
    Options

I so agree with you on the satiety signals. That is what I need to do too. I told my friend the other day that I could make any diet fail by overconsuming "healthy stuff"! I don't officially start until the 8th but plan to eat the minimal amount required and listen to my body's feedback. That will be my starting point.
  • mkakids
    Options

ISWF has a guideline for the minimum amount you can eat per day. Each meal must consist of a palm size amount of protien, either a thumb, cupped hand, or palm size amount of fat depending on the type of fat and then the rest veg. That is the minimum you HAVE to eat. I think it would be helpful if you listen to things like your energy level rather than your satiety level. If you feel weak and tired eat more. I've never had an issue with not being able to eat without complete and utter abandonment until I was entirely uncomfortable, so I'm not sure I can offer suggestion on eating more! I have never had that issue. :ohwell:

Whats ISWF?
  • CmGoode
    Options
    ISWF is a book It Starts with Food. The authors are the ones who created the concept for the Whole30. It is a good and insightful read.

I also found the forums on the Whole9 website helpful when I had questions (I have an almond allergy and needed advice). http://forum.whole9life.com