How do you tell your girlfriend “be cute for this?”

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    The lady having a skin condition puts an entirely different light on the matter. I would have to bow down to your better judgement on that as I've never had to cover up particularly. In fact, I've never worn any type of foundation, although I have used a concealer for the odd blemish. If you dont think she'd be offended, then cool. I really dont know how i would react.

Like any sensitive subject, it's better to have the conversation when you're both relaxed and neutral. I can't imagine it would be an easy one to broach, but I guess if he said something to her like she looks a lot healthier when she covers up? Or has she had any treatment for her skin? Both would make her aware that he's aware and probably make her paranoid about it that she would make efforts to never let him be embarrassed again...........lol

It makes me sad when you think of men as show offs. I disagree that all men are like that. My last b/f always put his arm round me in public whether I looked dressed for cocktails or fit for bed. I think that was a major reason why I loved him so much :heart:

Anna I agree with the last part and want to further extend on it...I had a crush on this guy and whenever we saw each other at the bar he would always flock to me over the other girls. I am not the prettiest, thinnest, smartest girl you'll ever meet yet he chose me over them. I would like to believe that the majority of men care less about faces and our weight than we assume we do. They clearly care somewhat but I would like to think most people care more about your personality and your heart, especially after knowing someone for several months. The fact that this guy cares so strongly about he wants to risk hurting his GF for it says a lot about his personality and maybe they are not well suited together because of that.

There is really no polite way to tell someone to wear makeup. You can certainly discuss your own routine and ask them "so what do you use?" Or the same with clothes. Or he could ask another woman familar with the cruise to email his GF about dress code,
    as he is a man and won't understand.
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Guys like to show off their women. They like to have the good looking girl that other guys (and women) think how did he get HER. If he is used to her covering it up when they go out I don't see anything wrong with him expecting her to cover those splotches up when meeting his old family friends. I'm sure its not just military men, so I wish some of the guys would back me up here, but I'm ok with being wrong in the ladies eyes too.

How many times have we had this argument? If he really likes/loves HER, then he should be proud to show her off regardless of whether she 'covered up' a natural condition. He should be proud to show off WHO SHE IS, her behavior, her personality, her words and intelligence just as much as, if not more so, than her appearance. It all adds up to who she is.

And as for you, JJ... if a man loves you, he'll love the scars, too, because they are a part of you. It is quite possible he won't even notice them. For example: One of my roommates in college was dating a guy she'd had classes with. He was kind, funny, and pretty vocal, and she got to know his sense of humor first. About three months into their relationship, they were sitting on the couch as I got home and she asked me if I had noticed his facial quirk. His face was paralyzed on one side, so he always talked out of one side of his mouth, gave lopsided smirks instead of full smiles, and his voice always sounded just a little bit slurred. She had seen this guy almost daily for three months and never noticed... and trust me, it was kind of hard to miss. He was a great guy, was amazing to her, and that overpowered anything else she saw from him.

Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who matter won't mind and those who mind don't matter. (Paraphrased Dr. Seuss.)
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    While I agree with all the people who said if she is comfortable in her natural beauty, then good for her! She is more than just a pretty face done up, and he should be proud of that if he wants to be with her....

But I can also appreciate how you would want someone to be looking their best for big meetings - ie the parents!
    You can't just expect someone to feel the same way as you about this and/or expect their standards would be the same.

I think a polite comment to say 'hey this vacation will be business casual so make sure you pack accorindingly' is fine or 'hey you look great in that purple dress, you should wear that' is ok too... she may be none the wiser and it would be a win win.

I don't know though, I prefer make up! I have an uneven skin tone and I like to even it out. I wouldn't leave the house without makeup on, but I can also apply mine so I don't look like a birthday cake either :) But I can tell you with certainty, I am not getting up 20 mins before my boyfrind to apply makeup and hop back into bed like I never slept in the first place :)
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    I've had many relationships in my life and all men have ever said to me is how I dont need to wear make-up. They like waking up with me naturally. I dont look any different........ Etc

So, its kinda strange to me that this guy should only be focused on makeup! I mean, a lot of guys don't even like women overly made up!!

Jeez! Let the woman just be herself. Her last b/f probably told her how lovely she looked without makeup and with a pony tail!!! Know what I mean?

^ this.

i've always been told i don't need to wear make up by my bf. some of them didnt even like it at all. but i personally feel naked without it so I won't leave the house without it. that being said I would be pissed if my guy said I don't look great w/o it and I should make sure to wear it around his family/friends.

it has been my experience that the right guy will think you are beautiful in your natural state, ie in the mornings no make up and crazy bed head lol.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    I'm supposing she already knows her face gets ugly so, like me, she probably wouldn't be too offended.

Or perhaps she is a self confident and beautiful woman that is not worried about her rosacea. We don't know why she went out without the makeup, but we do know she was comfortable in doing so which indicates she would like to do so in the future. This shows me that she is confident in her own skin and confident in who she is. He is not. That is his issue. Yes, makeup makes her more appealing, but perhaps she was having a flare up that was exacerbated by the makeup so she went without that day. If he's unwilling to accept her without the makeup, for the person that she is, I stand by my original statement that he needs to find another woman.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    I'm supposing she already knows her face gets ugly so, like me, she probably wouldn't be too offended.

Or perhaps she is a self confident and beautiful woman that is not worried about her rosacea. We don't know why she went out without the makeup, but we do know she was comfortable in doing so which indicates she would like to do so in the future. This shows me that she is confident in her own skin and confident in who she is. He is not. That is his issue. Yes, makeup makes her more appealing, but perhaps she was having a flare up that was exacerbated by the makeup so she went without that day. If he's unwilling to accept her without the makeup, for the person that she is, I stand by my original statement that he needs to find another woman.

Ding, we have a winner.

This has little to do with her, everything to do with him. Let's not pretend the woman has the problem here (other than dating a superficial jerk). It's his issue, he needs to deal with it. If he is truly embarrassed by her natural appearance, then I question the very foundation of their relationship.

It's one thing to tell your wife/gf that she looks fabulous in a particular dress, and you'd love for her to wear it to a certain event, for whatever reason. Women appreciate these kinds of comments. It's like noticing a new hairdo, new perfume, etc. It shows that you are paying attention...

But it's quite another to ask her to wear a mask because she's too hideous without it to be seen in public. Not cool.

I suppose you might say that this is the south, and gobs of makeup are as natural as big hair, peach cobbler, and racism. But just like big hair, that doesn't make it right...

--P
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    I'm not saying out and out he should break up with her. I do think it's gross that he thinks she's not pretty enough to be casual with friends, even if they are meeting for the first time. If he's worried about her not knowing the event is business/formal attire then yes, absolutely, warn her in advance so she can prepare! But he is going to have to evaluate, is he willing to potentially hurt this woman that he cares about by telling her she should wear make up out of the house always, or can he suck it up the couple times she chooses not to? What means more to him? I've been with a guy that said those things to me and it destroyed me. I would never wish that on another person. If someone told me i needed to never go without makeup I'd laugh in his face and tell him I'll be his pretty little stepford wife when he starts paying the bills.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    I guess she has roseacia or something that makes her face a really noticeable splotchy red. He's seen her without makeup, but it's always been in the context of the activity and something she covered up when they were done so he never cared. I guess she went to something with some of his old friends and didn't bother covering it up. I'm supposing she already knows her face gets ugly so, like me, she probably wouldn't be too offended. Maybe it was an accident- maybe she dropped her makeup and it cracked or she ran out or something. You never know.

I'm just relating my experience with scarring because while there are plenty of women out there who don't NEED makeup, there are some of us who look markedly different without it and so I, personally, don't think he is being a jerk by saying he wants her to wear makeup on this cruise/conference thing.

I wonder if people who ARE so offended by this don't know anyone who has to live with such a thing?
    I'm really confused by this. Surely her having a skin condition would (potentially) make her more likely to want to cover up with makeup. What's it got to do with him? He shouldn't get to tell her when to cover up or not. If she feels comfortable in a given situation, then that's all that matters. I can imagine a situation where it would be appropriate to let her know the general dress-code for a certain event, so she doesn't feel embarrassed turning up really casual when others are in black tie, but I can't see any reason to tell her to cover up or "be cute". If he doesn't like dating someone who dresses casually, or who has an obvious skin condition then fine, move on.

I think you're understandably looking at this situation from the perspective of your own experiences. Your need to wear makeup and your belief that you look better with it, or that you "should" wear it - well that's your experience, your choice, your need. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but it shouldn't be up to any other person to dictate to you when you "should" wear makeup. Even a partner.

I don't have a noticeable skin condition, or any kind of disfigurement, so I admit I'm coming at this from a different perspective. I mean no disrespect here but I think that maybe you're projecting a little too much. Maybe she doesn't see her condition in the same way that you see your scars. If she doesn't always want to cover up, that's up to her. Maybe it's a non-issue for her.

I do get the thing about guys wanting to "show off" their woman, which can be sweet or creepy depending on the context. If he's really into her, of course he wants to show her off, but it shouldn't just be about looks, it should be "look at this amazing woman who wants to be with me, isn't she great?" If he can't feel that when she's not wearing makeup or dressed up, then yeah - maybe he shouldn't be with her. Needing to have "the good looking girl" and have people wonder how he "got her" - that's crossing the line a bit into trophy-dom in my opinion. If that's his focus, then maybe he should be looking elsewhere.

I don't know too many military people, but I do have one family member in the military. He has a beautiful wife, and it's obvious to anyone with eyes (and ears) how much he adores her. She usually (not always) makes an effort and dresses up. You can tell it's not about that though. When you hear him talk about her, it's never about how she looks, it's always about what a good/kind/funny etc person she is and how lucky he is to be with her.

He's "ok" with her not wearing makeup if they're at home or in the woods?? Wow. That's the comment that really gets me. It's hard to tell from the snippets provided here, but honestly, that sounds a little controlling.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    You know what's funny about this?? Last year when I posted a thread I mentioned that my friends boyfriend told her he didn't like her clothes and wanted her to buy a new wardrobe so when they stayed with his aunt, a couple of people said things like "oh that is nice that he wants her to look good for his aunt, probably because he respects his aunt." Now the answers are different...
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    I wouldn't date someone if I didn't like the way they looked without makeup. Tried it, but in the mornings when it go light out again it always scared the bejesus out of me.

Sometimes I wish my current gf would dress up on occasion, but she generally doesn't like to wear anything but jeans. I don't push it too much though, I'd rather she does what makes her comfortable.

One time I got yelled at by an ex because we were going to a fancy function and I didn't put gel in my hair. My hair is always short, so it;s not like it was messy. I sort of got offended, I don't like to feel like I'm embarrassing.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    I'm trying to picture what all the self-righteous women would have been saying if the situation was modified so that the guy was telling JJ how he broke up with his girlfriend because she wasn't dressed appropriately for a social function. Did he tell her why he was breaking up with her? No. If she was the right woman, she'd know how to dress for every event. She didn't understand the dynamics of a particular situation so she's obviously not the right one. NEXT. BUH BYE!

Is embarrassing your words or his? That sounds so much like a female description of a situation.

If it's a cruise I think it's fair to assume that it is more casual. I think it's fair for him to say that although this is a cruise, it is a little more formal than if we were on vacation together. It has career undertones, etc. Of course if he does this, he needs to follow through and dress more professionally as well.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    I guess I kinda threadjacked my own thread, lol! :tongue:

I guess she has roseacia or something that makes her face a really noticeable splotchy red. He's seen her without makeup, but it's always been in the context of the activity and something she covered up when they were done so he never cared. I guess she went to something with some of his old friends and didn't bother covering it up. I'm supposing she already knows her face gets ugly so, like me, she probably wouldn't be too offended. Maybe it was an accident- maybe she dropped her makeup and it cracked or she ran out or something. You never know.

I'm just relating my experience with scarring because while there are plenty of women out there who don't NEED makeup, there are some of us who look markedly different without it and so I, personally, don't think he is being a jerk by saying he wants her to wear makeup on this cruise/conference thing.

I wonder if people who ARE so offended by this don't know anyone who has to live with such a thing?

If she feesl comfortable in her own skin to go out casual and natural and he's not happy with that, then he needs to find a woman that likes making/dressing up all the time.

Guys like to show off their women. They like to have the good looking girl that other guys (and women) think how did he get HER. If he is used to her covering it up when they go out I don't see anything wrong with him expecting her to cover those splotches up when meeting his old family friends. I'm sure its not just military men, so I wish some of the guys would back me up here, but I'm ok with being wrong in the ladies eyes too.

What all this discussion is telling me is that for most women there's no real way to tell her. He should just end it and go look for someone else, despite all the good times they've had.

I agree with what you're saying. It sounds bad because of the makeup issue. That makes it seem like he's saying she's not pretty enough, when what I really think is that he was simply unpleasantly surprised by her lack of effort. But if I were to relate this to a man, I might think of it in terms of a guy who is always clean-shaven and well-groomed, and then the day I am supposed to introduce him to my family or close friends, he shows up with 3 days of scruff on his face, smelling like he came straight from the gym. I would be embarrassed by that ... not embarrassed of HIM as person but embarrassed that I have to say to my family "Yeah, this guy who had so little respect for this occasion that he couldn't be bothered to properly groom himself ... he's my boyfriend."

It's one thing if a woman rarely wears makeup (or if a guy always has the rugged, unshaven look). You expect that. You're prepared for it. But out of the blue on an important day? It's not such a good move. We can talk all day about how not wearing makeup means you're super confident, but in some circumstances, it's no different than being inexcusably underdressed (e.g. wearing jeans to a black-tie wedding). It's just a fact that the way you present yourself to others says something about who you are and how much respect you have for the people around you. There is nothing wrong with this guy wanting his girlfriend to look presentable on an occasion that is important to him.

I would tell your friend to simply tell his girlfriend that people will be dressed up, so she might want to bring some dressier attire. I would not mention makeup (surely the word "dressy" will give her all the hint she needs about that), and I would not compare it to the "meet the friends" thing by saying anything like "I just wanted you to be prepared, since you went casual before." Just say "You need some dressy clothes for this trip," and let her decide how she wants to approach it. If she shows up again looking like she just doesn't care, then he's got a problem on his hands, and it has nothing to do with how she looks.
  • goofyrick24
    goofyrick24 Posts: 125 Member
    If he doesn't like the way she looks wether or not she is wearing makeup than why is he with her? I have a friend that is a fashon model and when I tell friends and show them her modelling shot they all ask why am I not dating her. (She has been asking me out for years), but withouy the makeup and stuff on she isnt my type and she is my friend that was sutck in the friend zone years ago. If you can't love your woman completely naked without makeup or dressed up, how do you have morning sex? And how long will that relationship really last. Love the one your with or find someone you do.
  • TheKitsune6
    I guess I kinda threadjacked my own thread, lol! :tongue:

If she feesl comfortable in her own skin to go out casual and natural and he's not happy with that, then he needs to find a woman that likes making/dressing up all the time.

What all this discussion is telling me is that for most women there's no real way to tell her. He should just end it and go look for someone else, despite all the good times they've had.

I agree with what you're saying. It sounds bad because of the makeup issue. That makes it seem like he's saying she's not pretty enough, when what I really think is that he was simply unpleasantly surprised by her lack of effort. But if I were to relate this to a man, I might think of it in terms of a guy who is always clean-shaven and well-groomed, and then the day I am supposed to introduce him to my family or close friends, he shows up with 3 days of scruff on his face, smelling like he came straight from the gym. I would be embarrassed by that ... not embarrassed of HIM as person but embarrassed that I have to say to my family "Yeah, this guy who had so little respect for this occasion that he couldn't be bothered to properly groom himself ... he's my boyfriend."

It's one thing if a woman rarely wears makeup (or if a guy always has the rugged, unshaven look). You expect that. You're prepared for it. But out of the blue on an important day? It's not such a good move. We can talk all day about how not wearing makeup means you're super confident, but in some circumstances, it's no different than being inexcusably underdressed (e.g. wearing jeans to a black-tie wedding). It's just a fact that the way you present yourself to others says something about who you are and how much respect you have for the people around you. There is nothing wrong with this guy wanting his girlfriend to look presentable on an occasion that is important to him.

I would tell your friend to simply tell his girlfriend that people will be dressed up, so she might want to bring some dressier attire. I would not mention makeup (surely the word "dressy" will give her all the hint she needs about that), and I would not compare it to the "meet the friends" thing by saying anything like "I just wanted you to be prepared, since you went casual before." Just say "You need some dressy clothes for this trip," and let her decide how she wants to approach it. If she shows up again looking like she just doesn't care, then he's got a problem on his hands, and it has nothing to do with how she looks.

I almost agree except there are two things that set this apart.

1) They were meeting his friends. What part of that is not casual and comfortable? This doesn't sound like a case of "wearing jeans to wedding" it sounds more like a "wearing jeans to BBQ". JJ, can you clarify what kind of event this was?

2) You're right, if he wants her to dress up then he should have the ability to let his sweetie know... which is why he should probably LET HER KNOW that it's important to him instead of expecting her to guess. I always scold women for believing their men should "take hints" and "just know", just because the roles are reversed doesn't make it any better. Clear communication is important. I'm willing to bet if she was the only one dressed down she noticed and was probably embarrassed herself simply because of that. If everyone else was casual, he was probably the only one feeling that way.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    I don't know. I understand that not all women (or men, for that matter) look at this situation the same way, but I see it as standard social etiquette to know how to dress for less formal occasions that don't have specific dress codes but for which you still need to look presentable. Meeting people for the first time who are important to your significant other is one such occasion.

I do not advocate pretending to be someone you aren't, such as a woman who never wears makeup and never does anything special with her hair suddenly trying to look like a pageant queen. But this woman apparently is always dressed well, with full makeup, so it probably never occurred to her boyfriend that he needed to tell her how to dress, and that's why I understand his dismay. If I were dating a guy who was always impeccably dressed and looked great every time we went out, I probably wouldn't feel the need to tell him what to wear when I took him to meet my family. I would assume he had it covered and that he would ask for my input if he needed it. To me, it's just kind of a given that when you're meeting someone's friends/family for the first time, you pay a little more attention to your appearance.
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member

I 100% agree with this. I think it's downright strange (and borderline disrespectful) that she would show up to meet his friends and family wearing no make up and dressed uber casual. I think he had every right to be disappointed -- I know I would be. My boyfriend will be meeting my entire family at a wedding in June, and I've already told him in no uncertain terms that he better look sharp!

Agree with this also.

All he has to do is set it up as he's telling her about appropriate attire for the cruise, and not as a dis on her.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,252 Member
    ^^^^^^ Why would she go meet his friends for the first time super casual... Wouldn't you want to look your best for your BF friends... I would.... Even if it were a casual event I would still apply make up and dress casual nice...

I think he should tell her that since this is a business style trip that it will be a little less casual then normal cruises and he just wanted to make her aware so she didn't feel under dressed....
  • TheKitsune6
    I think it's downright strange (and borderline disrespectful) that she would show up to meet his friends and family wearing no make up and dressed uber casual. I think he had every right to be disappointed -- I know I would be. My boyfriend will be meeting my entire family at a wedding in June, and I've already told him in no uncertain terms that he better look sharp!

The difference.

You've already communicated clearly.
  • RunIntheMud
    I think there are really two issues within this...

1. The issue of her being "underdressed" when she met his friends. I can understand his frustration in this, dependant on the situaion. Did he articulate the importance of the meeting, was it a casual meeting, what was the situation? We don't know all the facts so we can't really judge. Personally, when I'm meeting someone's friends and family for the first time, I will always do my best to put my best foot forward.

2. The issue of him thinking that she doesn't look good without her makeup and that he's "fine with her being that way at home and in the woods". This bothers me because she obviously is fine going outside of the house without makeup. So, this is something he needs to evaluate. Because it is his issue. If he's not attracted to her without makeup on, he really needs to move on. Some women prefer to wear makeup all the time. It sounds like this is what he wants (and she's not it).

Bottom line, he should be completely attracted to her and he's not. He does not accept her as she is. He accepts her as she is with her makeup on (or as Patrick said, with her mask on). That is not how a healthy relationship should work. He needs to find himself someone else.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    saw this picture and thought of this thread. lol.

barbie-without-makeup.jpg

if you wanna see the full article go here, one of my favorite beauty blogs

http://www.musingsofamuse.com/2013/04/can-you-go-without-makeup.html
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Is embarrassing your words or his? That sounds so much like a female description of a situation.

That was my phrasing. He talked all around the issue and I guess another man would instantly get it but I didn't understand what he was asking me so I just came out and asked him "were you embarrassed by her appearance?" yes. "Oh, so you wish she would have dolled herself up like she usually does so your friends could see how hot she was?" yes. "yeah, I get it. so you want to make sure she looks really good on this trip and you're worried since it's a cruise she'll be too casual?"

I posted this in the debate forum too, and the consensus seems to be that most people would be offended by him asking her to doll herself up. OTOH, most people don't really have a condition that looks bad to others without makeup. Not saying that means people's opinion doesn't count, but it's just not the same.

I advised him that she might get really offended, but since this is really important to him* he needs to find a nice way to talk about it. There are all sorts of reasons why she would not have wore makeup or dressed up that day, and he'll never know until he talks with her. It's unfair to her AND to him to continue on this relationship without discussing it. If he really cares that much, it's only fair to let her know. It could be he is the perfect guy for her and this one request is the first "fault" he has in her eyes. It could be that this is the straw that breaks the camel's back and she moves on to find someone who loves her just the way she is.

*I don't fault him for this being important. For some people having an attractive spouse is a very high emotional need. Check out www.MarriageBuilders.com for more of a discussion on this. Having an attractive spouse is an emotional need for some people just like sexual fulfillment or recreational companionship. I wore makeup on my last cruise, and I was casual but still fabulous, even hiking mayan pyramids and running "the amazing race" because appearance is important to me.
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Honestly, people who are so preoccupied with having an attractive spouse generally tend to be insecure. Hence, they use their spouse to build their self esteem and their personal shortcomings. Why would a man try to change a woman's approach to life? If he wants something different, then I think he needs to communicate that to his girlfriend.

I met a man like this. He was very particular about the girl he dated. They must be a certain type and he usually don't deviate. Whether someone wants to wear makeup is their choice. I personally never wear makeup unless its for a date or a special event. Hell I even went out on date before without makeup. Maybe I am too comfortable in my own skin. Take it or leave it!
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Does he have a favorite dress or outfit? Maybe he could say something about it... "hey, could you wear this dress? You look beautiful in it....yada, yada..."

I think this is your best bet.... I say something like "You should wear that red dress you wore at blah blah blah." Usually when it comes to cloths or looks, if it's a bit off, I'd keep my mouth shut... Dangerous territory.
  • Honestly..I would rather have someone lay out the expectations for appearance bluntly. I dated someone in politics and would ask what was appropriate for each event. I am more concerned about my own appearance than my partner because I don't feel they are a reflection of me, women are judged more harshly than men and because I honestly like to put the effort in. I have white blonde eyelashes without mascara and look like a boy...lol
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Telling her what the dress-code is likely to be should take care of the cruise issue. No need to mention makeup - someone who usually wears makeup and hears 'business attire' will be putting it on, almost guaranteed.

That said, to me this is more about his self-esteem issues than her rosacea - it sounds like he's more interested in how she makes him look to friends, family, the casual observer, than in building a communicative, supportive relationship with someone he cares about. Someone over in the debate forum mentioned that makeup may exacerbate the rosacea - has he asked that question?

Also, re. covering up something that may be 'ugly' to others... would you, JJ, maintain the same atitude about someone who had a significant visible disfigurement or disability? I'm sure you don't mean this, but western society used to 'hide away' the Downs' syndrome kids, the adults with smallpox scars, the amputees, the paraplegics or mentally impaired because they were uncomfortable or ugly to look at or interact with, in the eyes of the wider world... I'm not sure it's just to say that we should always hide away what does not appeal visually or is unpleasant to look at for others, that we are obliged to conceal what may visually discomfort those around us. Fat shaming is another, very prevalent ,example of this sort of mentality - as individuals, we may think that excess flesh, skin conditions, or the visible effects of congenital illness/genetic disorders/severe accidents/battle scars are ugly or unpleasant on the eye - but I'm not convinced that gives any of us the right to insist that these things are hidden away for our own comfort.
  • RunIntheMud
    ^^^^ 100%
  • JanieJack
    JJ, maintain the same atitude about someone who had a significant visible disfigurement or disability?

I’m not sure which opinion you are referring to, but for the many reasons you mentioned about the ugliness of society I would argue that a woman who covers up their imperfections to “catch a good man” should be realistic about the fact that that same “good man” may not accept her as she is. If she wants to be accepted as she is (which is WELL within her rights as a human being) then she probably shouldn’t go through such extremes to keep it covered while dating.

I have not talked to this guy this week, but what I suspect happened is that she knew the kind of man she sought wants women with clear skin and flawless features and presented herself that way on Match. Then, as she became comfortable with him she stopped wearing makeup as much. He may not have noticed since he was already falling for her and many of us form “mental pictures” of the ones we love and don’t notice such things. But then when she went out around his friends like that, THEY noticed and brought it to his attention. Again, this is my supposition**.

Do I think it’s fair that people in western society feel “obliged to conceal what may visually discomfort those around us?” Of course not. I wish people would treat me the same with or without makeup. But they don’t. I wish people would have looked past the disfigurement of the woman I wrote about in the book chapter I posted. But they don’t.

Times will change… eventually…and we can all be part of that… but in the meantime we have to live in the world we live in and play the hand life has dealt us.

** Again, I don’t know that’s what she’s done, but as a pastor’s wife I saw several marriages suffering from the fact that both parties pretended to be someone they aren’t while courting only to go back to their “real self” after marriage. Their line is always “you have to love me like I am.” Women who get fat or won’t dress up anymore. Men who get fat and won’t speak kindly (or at all) anymore. Withholding sex because now you’ve “caught him” and don’t have to put out anymore. Crazy stuff like that.
  • JanieJack
    Posted this in the debates forum on the same topic... thought I'd share with you guys...

I dearly love my boyfriend. But at the same time I am very concerned with how people perceive me. I don't see the two as mutually exclusive.

Especially since I have a highly visible position and public appearance is a very important part of my job. I have no qualms about telling him how to dress or look, and he's done the same for me. And, while I struggled with the decision to overlook his teeth, eventually he won me over with his awesome personality, when my coworkers and mentors mentioned how bad they were (and how it reflected on me professionally) I said something to him.

So this guy's concern about his girlfriend doesn't bother me.
  • JanieJack
    This thread came to mind the other day... I went with BB to his band director alumni thing and had no clue until later when I noticed all the wives/gfs there instantly looked at my hands. I'm trying to play it off so I wait until I get alone in the bathroom to see what's up with my hands. My nails were all jagged and dirty from packing and moving. Since the whole point of him asking me along was to "show me off" to his buddies, I really would have appreciated him pointing out my nails (if he had noticed). Fortunately, I don't think any of the menfolk there even cared about my nails. I think the hair, awesome new dress, and body were all they cared about lol.
  • TheKitsune6
    This thread came to mind the other day... I went with BB to his band director alumni thing and had no clue until later when I noticed all the wives/gfs there instantly looked at my hands. I'm trying to play it off so I wait until I get alone in the bathroom to see what's up with my hands. My nails were all jagged and dirty from packing and moving. Since the whole point of him asking me along was to "show me off" to his buddies, I really would have appreciated him pointing out my nails (if he had noticed). Fortunately, I don't think any of the menfolk there even cared about my nails. I think the hair, awesome new dress, and body were all they cared about lol.

PEOPLE NOTICE THOSE THINGS?

Well I'm f*cked anyway XD