April 6th Challenge

Options
This was one of my favorite challenge ideas. It goes to the heart of everything we are all doing right now.

Reach out to someone in need. There is no wrong way to do this. Please post how you interpreted this challenge and how you accomplished this. Share what you all did and why back to this post so we can all be inpired!! 1-large

bonus:25 Oblique crunches on each side (make em burn!!) extra 1-large

The Don

Replies

• kkmonroe79
    kkmonroe79 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love this. Thank you for being awesome. :flowerforyou:
  • MissJen84
    MissJen84 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    This may sound lame but I think it goes in with the challenge... I have several friends who are struggling with their weight too. I check on them almost everyday to see how they are doing as far as attitude, food and working out. I know that a simple message can push you to keep going when your ready to give up.

What do you think Don? That an accetable answer?
  • theparnellssean
    theparnellssean Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    This may sound lame but I think it goes in with the challenge... I have several friends who are struggling with their weight too. I check on them almost everyday to see how they are doing as far as attitude, food and working out. I know that a simple message can push you to keep going when your ready to give up.

What do you think Don? That an accetable answer?
    That is a great answer and very awesome of you to do what you are doing!
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Do I really have to answer this one sean lol You know my answer!
  • theparnellssean
    theparnellssean Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Do I really have to answer this one sean lol You know my answer!
    You especially must.. Yours is the one I am looking forward to the most. lol
  • Kari089
    Kari089 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    A very close friend of mine recently lost his 6 yr old nephew. He was very ill with cerebral palsy and was very close to him. I keep in touch every day trying to lift his spirits and also so that he knows he always has a chance to talk about him if he wishes.
  • flyinghawk2012
    flyinghawk2012 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've been telling my friend about MFPs - and she's interested. Today I will help her. Does that meet this challenge?
    Or . . . my friend is in hospital in Calif - undergoing treatment for cancer. I send her a note of cheer each day. Does that count?
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Ok Sean says I have to answer this one. Sean is doing an amazing job running this challenge and this topic was a great idea.

I am a Capo for Seans challenge and the reason why i volunteered to help is because 9 monthes ago I started running my own challenge but never included the weight portion The point of my challenge is mainly cardio specifically walking and biking miles. It has evolved from month 1 from 30 people to now where I am currently around 250 people in month 9. Every single day I send out emails and post on my wall to encourage and motivate people to get active and stay moving. I am the type that if I do not hear from you in a couple of days I will send an email to see where you are and how you are doing. When there are injuries in my challenge we do what is called miles for so and so....And we donate miles to the injured team member to keep them in the challenge even though they are hurt. I love my challenge.

I am also a mom of 4 children two of which are autistic and have a husband and a full time job. I am on this amazing weight loss trek to better myself for me but also to be around for my 2 sons who are going to need me for the rest of their lives.If I am healthier then I can make sure there is always someone there for them. 1 of the boys is a husky one, he exercises with me. We are working to improve his eating habits so he will live to be healthier and happier. My daughters are both extremely active and ovrsped and I have been very vocal about what life is like as plus size and what it is like being smaller so they understand that health is a choice they can make.

Ovrsped my husband was over 350 when we started this and he has lost around 130 lbs to date. I started at 310 and at my lowest weight in October of 2012 was down to 246. I am up from there due to breaking my hip in 5 places as well as my knee. I am perservering and returning to this journey to get back down to that weight and go even furrther. Ovrsped and I just ran in our first 5k last weekend and plan to train for many more. Seans challenge as well as mine are going to hold me accountable!

So in short I keep my team leotardo accountable, I keep too inspired accountable, I motivate my family to be and stay healthy and I push myself harder than i do any of you. But without all of you and your motivation and support I could not do this!
  • mwoods5716
    mwoods5716 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^ you are amazing!!!^^^^^^^^
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Ok Sean says I have to answer this one. Sean is doing an amazing job running this challenge and this topic was a great idea.

I am a Capo for Seans challenge and the reason why i volunteered to help is because 9 monthes ago I started running my own challenge but never included the weight portion The point of my challenge is mainly cardio specifically walking and biking miles. It has evolved from month 1 from 30 people to now where I am currently around 250 people in month 9. Every single day I send out emails and post on my wall to encourage and motivate people to get active and stay moving. I am the type that if I do not hear from you in a couple of days I will send an email to see where you are and how you are doing. When there are injuries in my challenge we do what is called miles for so and so....And we donate miles to the injured team member to keep them in the challenge even though they are hurt. I love my challenge.

I am also a mom of 4 children two of which are autistic and have a husband and a full time job. I am on this amazing weight loss trek to better myself for me but also to be around for my 2 sons who are going to need me for the rest of their lives.If I am healthier then I can make sure there is always someone there for them. 1 of the boys is a husky one, he exercises with me. We are working to improve his eating habits so he will live to be healthier and happier. My daughters are both extremely active and ovrsped and I have been very vocal about what life is like as plus size and what it is like being smaller so they understand that health is a choice they can make.

Ovrsped my husband was over 350 when we started this and he has lost around 130 lbs to date. I started at 310 and at my lowest weight in October of 2012 was down to 246. I am up from there due to breaking my hip in 5 places as well as my knee. I am perservering and returning to this journey to get back down to that weight and go even furrther. Ovrsped and I just ran in our first 5k last weekend and plan to train for many more. Seans challenge as well as mine are going to hold me accountable!

So in short I keep my team leotardo accountable, I keep too inspired accountable, I motivate my family to be and stay healthy and I push myself harder than i do any of you. But without all of you and your motivation and support I could not do this!

You are amazing!
  • admmommy
    admmommy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    mcdjmom you are amazing at what you do every day. I am glad you shared your story because you never know how it could help and inspire people right within this group who are not on your team. I know you have inspired me as a fellow Capo. People go through life thinking they cannot work out or eat right because they are busy or whatever excuse they give. You and your husband keep going through all of your challenges life has thrown at your family. Maybe people will think that their challenges would not have been given to them if they wouldn't been able to handle it. Bravo and I am glad you are apart of Sean's challenge!!!!!

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • mocatinho
    mocatinho Posts: 65
    Options

Your an inspiration to so many. Myself included - I just joined MFP and you have totally motivated me to continue with both challenges on a daily basis. I didn't know your personal story, now I do and it's truelly inspiring.
  • mocatinho
    mocatinho Posts: 65
    Options
    Ok, so this week I am visiting my parents who live in Florida. I have a friend from high school who lives about an hour from my parents. Last night I drove to her house, picked up her and her kids (1, 4, and 6 years old) and we went to Chili's. Her husband was recently deployed overseas and she has been doing it all for the last month and as far as she knows he won't be back until Christmas at the earliest. The only family in the state are her parents who are both in their late 80's and need physical help everyday - which she offer's daily. The kids are all going thru a rough patch since Daddy left and it's been an emotional, rocky roller coaster for her. Needless to say she really wanted a dinner she didn't have to cook and adult conversation. After dinner we went back to her house and put everyone to bed and just talked for about 4 hours. She is an amazing friend, mom and wife who said that she doesn't want anyone to feel bad for her. I said I don't feel bad for you BUT your husband is overseas and he fights for my freedom on a daily basis and gives up so much. I want to help in anyway I can. So last night it was conversation that she needed - I listened and we laughed, looked at her wedding pictures and shared amazing memories. I received a text message from her this morning saying thank you for dinner, laughter and just being there. She said she woke up happy and relaxed. The kids are talking about when I am going to take them to Chili's again. - It was a simple dinner with a friend but so much more at the same time.

My parents are members of Operation Shoe Box - organization who sends care packages etc to soldiers overseas. Today my mom and I went and helped put together 600 boxes for men and woman overseas. It's absolutely amazing to see so many people willing to help.

I also have my own personal soldier's whom I adopted and have no relation to that I send cards, letters, care packages on a monthly basis to. Currently I have 3 soldiers overseas. A friends girls scout troop donated 3 cases of girl scout cookies for me to send this month. I also included snacks, toiletries, comic books etc. I send anything and everything that might make it a little easier for them to get thru the days.

For me - it's personal, the soldiers give up so much all I want to do is say Thank you. And this is the best way I know how. To put smiles on their faces with packages from home, and give my friend a hug and dinner.

I
  • heppin1
    heppin1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have been working with my sister to stay motivated to workout!! I pin different workouts each day that I know she would like to do and I have encouraged her to joing MFP so she can reach her goal of getting back healthy!! I send her the challenges we have been doing and encourage her to do them too!! I try to be an inspiration and motivator to her even if I am 1000 miles away.. which can make it difficult!

Also, I am helping a friend decorate for a baby shower today.. but really i just love decorating for parties and she doesn't haha.
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I have 5 MFP friends that are "in the red" which means they haven't logged in for 3+ days, so I PM each of them the following:

Hey I know life gets hectic but it's important to just log your food even if you can't spend time on MFP! I'm here if you need anything & just remember why put off till tomorrow what you can do today! Even a small change today makes you better than you were yesterday! 

Also I not only got the courage to share my results so far (my current profile pic) on here, but I have a couple co-workers who have been struggling with their weight loss & I shared the pic with them & together we are working on bringing & sharing healthy lunches.
  • anagraphy
    anagraphy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine's been having a rough year, culminating in this especially rough week; I won't go into details as it's not my personal stuff to share, but it's been incredibly stressful for her and as Friday approached it's gotten harder and harder. I've been checking in, trying not to be smothery (personally, when people do that to me it only makes it worse!), coming up with things to do here and there to get her mind off of it. Now that it's FINALLY OVER (yesterday), I contacted a mutual friend of ours and we hatched a plan to take her out to dinner tonight and see where the night takes us to celebrate. Hoping for some crazy dance party action, as I KNOW she'll love that :)

Happy Saturday, all!
  • Kimberly3013
    Kimberly3013 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This is an area that is easy for me, I actually would rather spend more time caring about others than caring for myself. That is my major issue.

But as for the challenge, I spend my working days including tonight on the burn unit at the hospital. I take care of people 12-14 hours a day with major burns, redressing them, doing skin grafts, taking vitals, drawing labs and making them as comfortable as possible. On my school days I am in the OR as a surgical technician making sure the patient is cared for properly handing instruments and meds to the surgeon and closing the wounds at the end of the cases. At home, I take care of 7 children ranging in age from 5 yrs to 18 yrs and a husband who is self employed and needs help on the job when I am not tied up anywhere else.

I have spent this year since I started on MFP trying to figure out how to care about myself. I am still struggling with this area. I find it hard to put myself first and others second.
  • lveh8lve
    lveh8lve Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I was working outside and a neighbor (who I never met) asked if I saw his white dog who had gotten loose. I said I didn't but I stopped what I was doing, leashed up a pup and joined in the hunt. We actually found him an hour later in my yard!! Pup and his poppa are fine except for some muddy paws!
  • meaghan2008
    meaghan2008 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Reach out to someone in need.

The person I reached out to was my ex girlfriend who has a heart condition that will be life long and be her losing weight is decreases the side effects of her heart condition. Me being obese as well I started working out and lost weight but then gained it back. Working out alone in the beginning was boring and there was no motivation , my ex saw that I was losing weight and she wanted to work out too. Ever since then we have been workout buddies on and off but just yesterday we made a commitment that we will be going hard and doing things the right way ! :)

I will do the oblique crunches tonight ! :)
  • DaisyDi65
    DaisyDi65 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    First thanks for this. I think we all do things everyday which helps make the world a better place.
    Today I reached out to one of my first MFP friends. She and I messaged daily, however, she has disappeared. I sent an email to her personal address asking if things were ok and encouraging her to come back. We previously talked about how quick we give up when things don't seem easy. I want her to know it is a safe place here and we can all work toward the same goals.
This discussion has been closed.