Body Revoultionaries, starting april 1st, phase 1

Options

Replies

• JillStone17
    JillStone17 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Oh and I totally agree about the cool down, Dani. It's really lacking. I usually do my own cool down with some deeper stretching. I'm sure she cuts it short because she's trying to keep it to a half hour but I could definitely use more/better stretching at the end.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Did workout 1 today and this time I used dumbells in the squat in the first circuit and also on the cardiomove on the last circuit.
    The most challenge in this workout at the moment is the chair squat with lateral raise, with the 8s I can do maybe 7 or 8 reps and then I hit a wall. Should I do the second set with lighter or stick with the heavier even thou I loose reps? What would you do?
  • ravensgirl87
    ravensgirl87 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Wow that's impressive that some of you find Cardio 1 too easy... I sure don't!! I hope to be in shape enough at the end of this to feel the same way!!

Question for you runners out there.... I have always wanted to get into running because I know it's a great workout. However, every time I try to start up I don't last long. Maybe a month tops. I know it takes awhile for your body to adjust. Do you think that by the end of body revolution there is a chance I would have more success if I tried again? Or even halfway through? I was never very fit before trying to start a running program. I just remember that awful burning sensation in my chest and lungs. I would try to ignore it but I just couldn't!! Just curious what some of you think!!!
  • JillStone17
    Options
    Yes Ravensgirl87! I bet about halfway through it would be much easier to run after doing the cardio on the videos. I think the only reason Cardio 1 wasn't doing much for me was because of running, so I can only assume that it would work the other way around.

My tips are start running, but go slow and don't go too far. When I started I could barely run a mile without stopping and I thought I was going to puke at the end. I kept that up and tried to just shave a few seconds off my total time for the mile each time. Then, as I got faster I started adding a little more distance onto it. Just enough to make it hard and slightly uncomfortable. Also, settle into a comfortable pace when you are going longer distances. If you stay steady it helps you go farther. If you are running too fast you will burn out too soon and won't be able to go as far. Although fast, short runs are good for training too. You really have to push yourself to get better and consistency is key. I remember the first time I ran 5 miles I was so excited!

I worked my way up to a half marathon and I've been running ever since. Sure there are weeks I don't find time, but I can always pick it back up again and it always makes me feel good. I'm looking forward to what this Jillian Michaels program does for my running. The expert runners always recommend cross training but I've never really done it so I hope this will help how fast I'm able to go.

I also recommend the Nike running app if you have a smart phone. It's awesome and lets people from your facebook cheer you on as you run. It records all your runs and compares you to other runs and you can compete with other people that have the app. Good Luck!
  • ravensgirl87
    ravensgirl87 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes Ravensgirl87! I bet about halfway through it would be much easier to run after doing the cardio on the videos. I think the only reason Cardio 1 wasn't doing much for me was because of running, so I can only assume that it would work the other way around.

My tips are start running, but go slow and don't go too far. When I started I could barely run a mile without stopping and I thought I was going to puke at the end. I kept that up and tried to just shave a few seconds off my total time for the mile each time. Then, as I got faster I started adding a little more distance onto it. Just enough to make it hard and slightly uncomfortable. Also, settle into a comfortable pace when you are going longer distances. If you stay steady it helps you go farther. If you are running too fast you will burn out too soon and won't be able to go as far. Although fast, short runs are good for training too. You really have to push yourself to get better and consistency is key. I remember the first time I ran 5 miles I was so excited!

I worked my way up to a half marathon and I've been running ever since. Sure there are weeks I don't find time, but I can always pick it back up again and it always makes me feel good. I'm looking forward to what this Jillian Michaels program does for my running. The expert runners always recommend cross training but I've never really done it so I hope this will help how fast I'm able to go.

I also recommend the Nike running app if you have a smart phone. It's awesome and lets people from your facebook cheer you on as you run. It records all your runs and compares you to other runs and you can compete with other people that have the app. Good Luck!

Thanks for the response!! I have started the "couch to 5K" app twice in the past. I did ok until the first "long" run (20 minutes.) Halfway into it I just gave up... and quit the program... both times!! Maybe the next time around I will just take your suggestion and do what I can until it gets too uncomfortable and build from there.
  • JillStone17
    Options

Thanks for the response!! I have started the "couch to 5K" app twice in the past. I did ok until the first "long" run (20 minutes.) Halfway into it I just gave up... and quit the program... both times!! Maybe the next time around I will just take your suggestion and do what I can until it gets too uncomfortable and build from there.

I would totally just stick with running a mile for as long as you think you need to. That way you don't set yourself up for failure. I mean, you have to eventually push yourself but build yourself up but first be proud of what you CAN do instead of trying to do things you might not be ready for yet. It's a fine balance but running a mile is always something you can be proud of, especially if you are consistently shaving a few seconds off every day. You know?
  • JillStone17
    Options
    Week 2 started! Felt good to get the weights going again. Can't wait to do measurements again at the end of Phase 1. Hoping to get a run in today. Didn't get one in AT ALL last week. Not good considering I have a 10 mile race on Saturday. Oh well, it's not like I was going to win LOL

Have a great day everyone! Push it today, do heavier weights, bend farther, work harder!
  • JillStone17
    Options
    Where is everyone? lol Hope you are still all going strong!

Went for my first run yesterday since starting the program and I felt so much stronger! So either the program is working already or I was just super rested from taking the last week off from running. Either way it felt good.

Have a great day everyone!
  • Hurley1203
    Hurley1203 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I started last night and really enjoyed the workout. I have a bit of soreness today, but nothing that would stop me from doing my workout today.
    I'm excited about this program because there is no excuse for me to not fit 30 mins into my schedule each day.

I also am doing the couch to 5k program. I have done it in the past and did a few 5k's last fall. However, I am signed up for another 5k in May to benefit breast cancer. I may not be able to run it all but I am just glad to be able to do something.
  • dennik15
    dennik15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I did workout 3 for the first time last night...it is so much harder than 1 & 2, but it felt so GOOD to complete it with only a few mods. I'm subbing my couch to 5K training runs for the cardio workouts she provides. I can really only fit so much work out time into my week and I REALLY want to complete a 5K.
  • dani_doing_it
    dani_doing_it Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! I have taken the last 2 days off... I woke up with a bum knee on Sunday. It is hurting mostly when I am bending it up and down stairs. I am thinking from the lunges... today has been better and I am going to try BR tonight to see how it goes...

Anyone else having knee issues? I didn't have this my first round, hoping it's nothing major...
  • Running_Peripheral
    Options
    I haven't had knee issues yet but I do have to work through her lunge with oblique twists slower to make sure I keep to form. Let us know how tonight goes and certainly don't do anything that will further cause injury.
  • Running_Peripheral
    Options
    I have to ask...does your DVDs for Day 3 and 4 on Phase one say "week 3 and 4" during intro? She messed me up last week with it but I think I have the right DVDs. There are four DVDs per phase (every day of the week?) and one cardio.

I'm just going to do all of them and do 30 minutes of cardio of choice on top of it. Today I did speed walking changing inclines.
  • Thereupon
    Thereupon Posts: 52
    Options
    I have to ask...does your DVDs for Day 3 and 4 on Phase one say "week 3 and 4" during intro? She messed me up last week with it but I think I have the right DVDs. There are four DVDs per phase (every day of the week?) and one cardio.

I'm just going to do all of them and do 30 minutes of cardio of choice on top of it. Today I did speed walking changing inclines.
    If you follow the plan, workouts 3 and 4 are for use only in weeks 3 and 4. Workout schedule is something like this:

Week 1, Phase 1:
    Mon: WO 1
    Tue: WO 2
    Wed: Cardio 1
    Thurs: WO 1
    Fri: WO 2
    Sat: Cardio 1.
    Sun: Rest

The plan has you moving on to the next two workouts every two weeks, gradually progressing in intensity. Each cardio DVD lasts for the month (i.e. the entire phase) on Wednesdays and Saturdays (or whichever days fit your schedule according to when you started). So Jillian is right to say that workouts 3 and 4 are for weeks 3 and 4 if you're following the "official" plan. :)
  • JillStone17
    Options
    Dennik I'm looking forward to workout 3, just for the change up. I'll start it on Monday. I just like that they mix it up so much. I think any longer than 2 weeks and I would get bored and not do it. Glad you could do it without too many mods.

Dani, hope your knee feels better! That sucks! Hopefully this program will strengthen it after it heals.

I'm seriously sore from last night's run and this mornings workout, I increased weight again and am doing 9.5 pounds on some of the exercises. Really feeling it tonight, but it's a good feeling.

Hope everyone has a great night!
  • leannevoutsinou
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm on week 2 of BR and have to say, I'm finding it much easier than 30DS or RIpped In 30. Does anyone else think so? Although people say that in phase 3&4 things get tougher! I'm doing it as the schedule says, and after the 30 min I'm doing another 30 min of hers and I alternate, for example: Mon: Workout 1 & 6Wk 6Pack L1, Tues: Workout 2 & Killer Buns&Thighs L1, etc. (I also do Killer Abs,Shred It with weights,Yoga meltdown, extreme shed & shred). So basically its 60min a day. I don't run or anything though. I know I should cos its the best way to shed fat fast, but I can't be bothered lol! I'm not following her diet plan either, just doing my own. Re:Cardio 1, I agree that it seems easy (although suicides are a killer) but I do sweat a bit (and that's an accomplishment cos generally I don't sweat at all). It's burpees that I can't stand, and running man, bet she kills us with those later on! Keep it strong ladies!
  • JillStone17
    Options
    Real quick, is anyone else STARVING? I am now eating my exercise calories and I'm still hungry! Maybe it's just today? I don't know. Just wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing this.
  • dani_doing_it
    dani_doing_it Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Went to the gym at lunch and hit the treadmill, knee did okay so I will get back to BR tonight!! At this point I will probably just start from the begining and will go easy on lunges for now.

How is everyone finding it?
  • Running_Peripheral
    Options
    Okay...that makes more sense. Well, I did the next phase this week so I guess I'm good. And it explains why the same muscle groups get worked out over and over again. Thanks for explaining it.
  • Running_Peripheral
    Options
    I don't find it easier. There are some exercises I find easier than others but in every DVD I find some exercise where I'm weak. Usually stabilizer muscle/balancing ones/dynamic weights and/or core work.

I do run 30-40 minutes after working out to her to get cardio in and I do that every day of the week.