April 6th Challenge

Options

Replies

• missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    THIS IS FOR MEANDFRANK TEAM SACRIMONI (IT WAS POSTED IN THE WRONG CHALLENGE DATE

I have a friend who weighs around the weight I did before what I've lost. She is scared to join a gym in fear she will be made fun of. I told her that should be the least of her worrys, honestly. We had a heart to heart talk and I told her I've been there. At 317 lbs, I was going to do those Zumba classes and no one was going to stop me! Unfortunately she isn't in the same state as I am, but she promised me she would try and get back to me.

Before my Aqua Zumba class this morning, I went to the pool early and did 150 jumping jacks and 100 sqauts in the pool! Whoot, Whoot!
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Yes, a hug goes a very long way :)
  • theparnellssean
    theparnellssean Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I've been telling my friend about MFPs - and she's interested. Today I will help her. Does that meet this challenge?
    Or . . . my friend is in hospital in Calif - undergoing treatment for cancer. I send her a note of cheer each day. Does that count?
    You are a great person flyinghawk
  • Prephred
    Prephred Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    There are some amazing stories in here.

Mine isn't very big. We were out running today and ate supper out. It was a buffet and there was a little old man behind us. I paid for his dinner. I had someone do this for me when I was ill and it showed. I was so surprised when the waitress told me that the guy from the table next door had paid for my meal. It made my week.

Crunches make me ill so no bonus tonight. Unless another 10 laps in the pool counts? Is that a possibility?
  • jenniferitzep
    jenniferitzep Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    This is one most people want understand .. my oldest son (7) is hearing impaired and wears hearing aids one the way home today I started playing his favorite cd "kids Christian songs" and he ask me to turn it up I normally dont play it loud but tonight I blasted it for him he sang at the top of his lungs for 5 minutes then ask me to join in so we sang at the top of our lungs for 15 minutes and he told me thank you and gave me a big hug. I know most people want understand how great it was forr him but it is clear to me

.thank you for this challenge it made my son's weekend <3
  • jenniferitzep
    jenniferitzep Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    This is one most people want understand .. my oldest son (7) is hearing impaired and wears hearing aids one the way home today I started playing his favorite cd "kids Christian songs" and he ask me to turn it up I normally dont play it loud but tonight I blasted it for him he sang at the top of his lungs for 5 minutes then ask me to join in so we sang at the top of our lungs for 15 minutes and he told me thank you and gave me a big hug. I know most people want understand how great it was forr him but it is clear to me

.thank you for this challenge it made my son's weekend <3

.oh and crunches done too
  • jenn2403
    jenn2403 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Today on the way to work I bought coffee for the cars behind me in the drive thru & just an hour ago I had the privilege of helping to deliver a baby via phone, pretty scary, but everyone's fine!
  • cyoung0317
    Options
    This maybe isn't the same as what you're probably looking for, but I met an older gentleman today when I was serving at my church's annual tea party. I joked with everyone that I would speak French to my table to make myself memorable. Shortly after, this man came up to me and said, "Wow! You can speak French? I've always wanted to go to France and to speak French. I wanted to go so badly that I spent a chunk of my retirement money to take my wife out there this summer. It will be the greatest trip of our lives. I just wish I could speak with the locals. That would really make my trip the best." The joy in this man's eyes when he talked about his trip really hit home for me. I have always wanted to travel, and it seems like this man waited his whole life to go to France, so I decided I would offer him some basic French lessons to help him out. He was so thrilled when I told him I'd be happy to tutor him in some basic conversational French that he hugged me and thanked me profusely. I never knew such a small gesture could be so meaningful to someone else.

We will start lessons sometime next week!
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Met a new neighbor today!
  • theparnellslisa
    theparnellslisa Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I wanted to submit this for dessyjo, it was messages to me. Nice job!

Hello! I did my oblique crunches for today and I'm not sure if this counts as helping someone, but my mom and I went shopping today and made a care package for a soldier we 'adopted' and mailed it out.
  • ukaggirl
    ukaggirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My husband and I helped out an elderly neighbor with some yard work. Nothing major but we like to spend time with him since his wife passed away. He is the sweetest man I have ever met. I have never met a man so in love with his wife. So while we reached out to help with physical labor he is always reaching out with emotional support and is an incredible role model. :)
  • Meemilla
    Meemilla Posts: 46
    Options
    Deep breath. This challenge has been one of the more difficult ones for me. I could have volunteered to help my daughter with the kids since she never gets a break and takes care of my mom or I could have motivated my friend to continue on her weight lose journey (I did do these today) or I could have done something I should have done long ago. The last is exactly what I did. I forgave my mother for attempting suicide a few years ago on Mothers Day. We use to be extremely close but since that day I became distant and very short with her anytime I had to deal with her and her behaviors - I no longer had patience or compassion toward her and would cover how I truly felt by saying I didn't care any longer.
    Well I do care and I do love her. She has deteriorated in health the past few years and will need continued care the rest of her years. My daughter will not be able to handle all of this so I have informed my mom and daughter that I will be there through anything. I also told my mom that she does mean a great deal to me and that we should spend time together like we use to.
    Thank you Don for this challenge truly. Oh I also did my oblique crunches :)
  • Crystalagain22
    Crystalagain22 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Deep breath. This challenge has been one of the more difficult ones for me. I could have volunteered to help my daughter with the kids since she never gets a break and takes care of my mom or I could have motivated my friend to continue on her weight lose journey (I did do these today) or I could have done something I should have done long ago. The last is exactly what I did. I forgave my mother for attempting suicide a few years ago on Mothers Day. We use to be extremely close but since that day I became distant and very short with her anytime I had to deal with her and her behaviors - I no longer had patience or compassion toward her and would cover how I truly felt by saying I didn't care any longer.
    Well I do care and I do love her. She has deteriorated in health the past few years and will need continued care the rest of her years. My daughter will not be able to handle all of this so I have informed my mom and daughter that I will be there through anything. I also told my mom that she does mean a great deal to me and that we should spend time together like we use to.
    Thank you Don for this challenge truly. Oh I also did my oblique crunches :)

Wow, what an amazing day you had! It is truly wonderful that you were able to forgive your mother and be there for her now! I'm sure it will be good for you and her :) I didn't know exactly what to say to this, but where I lost my own mother (cancer, not suicide) at age 17, I know I'd do anything to be in her life if she were here today. You are amazing, you should be proud!!!
  • shelli1982
    shelli1982 Posts: 133
    Options
    My "reaching out" was to someone I will never know.... I decided to go and donate blood... I haven't been able to do it in a while b/c of a medical issue causing anemia, so I basically gave up, but there is an urgent need in my area. Proud of all of the great efforts this "challenge" inspired in people! Way to go!
  • theparnellslisa
    theparnellslisa Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    When Sean and I were discussing starting this Sopranos challenge group, we wanted to make a difference in as many lives as we possible could. We really wanted to create a group that would be fun and something that others would look forward to, not dread. I immediately started searching the message boards for people that I thought would be a good match for this group. I messaged people that I felt were truly in need of inspiration and I felt had a drive that would keep them connected to our group. People who said " I need motivation" people who said "I need accountability" people who were sad because of the way they were being treated by others. So many of those people are part of our group! It was so amazing and heart warming to see so many of the people I invited come into the group. I truly care about people and want them to succeed here. I have read some pretty disturbing topics and messages by people that I don't believe are here to help or brighten anyone's journey and are using this sight as some sort of obscene escape from there lives. Very sad! I feel that we have created a safe zone for people who want to be part of an amazing group. It touches my heart more than you can imagine, reading comments that people are having fun while being challenged. We are all in this together to support each other while on this journey to lose weight. We intend to continue this challenge from month to month and have really enjoyed working side by side with Tanya mdcjmom (who is an amazing person and gives so much of herself to others) and the Too Inspired to be tired Challenge which I have been part of since February. When I chose my team for this challenge I didn't chose them based on their strengths I chose them based on their needs. I chose people who are very young, I chose people with limitations(I too have limitations, who could better understand) I chose people who said I really need to be supported. I am pleased with the dedication of our challenge members and look forward to the next few months!!
  • mrscruz625
    mrscruz625 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Team Aprile-

My challenge for today. I have my own private face book page where I document my journey in my new healthy life style. I was told I inspire people to do better at eating and walking and a friend walked a mile when she usually doesn't. It is such an inspiration to me to help others. I have a long way to go and sometimes it is frustrating b/c I can't work out like I want too. (arthritis and tendinitis in my right knee and a sprained ankle (right leg as well) that is not healed yet. I still eat pretty well (yesterday and today are not the norm for me) and just walk as much as I can.
  • KatieSChaisemom
    KatieSChaisemom Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have helped several people today, My husband is an avid meat eater and rarely gets enough veggies. Well, I have been vegetarian for a week now and not pushing my views on anyone including him. Today I made my lunch as usual and he is wanting to try more and more of my dishes that I create which makes me happy. I spoke to a friend of mine who has two kids under 2 and well, she has been struggling with her own self image today. I inspired her with my fitness journey to really get started on hers. And the third person I helped today is my mother, she is suffering from fybromyalgia, hypothyroidism, degenerative disc disease, and many more. I wanted her to watch a few documentaries on how eating the right, unprocessed foods can help reverse several diseases including going gluten free for fybromyaligia and the hypothyroidism. She is inspired to try to eat healthier and has watched a couple of the documentaries. That was my attempt at reaching out and trying to help someone better their lives.
  • mwoods5716
    mwoods5716 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I used to buy gloves for all the poor kids my neighborhood and toss them a pair when I walked my dogs
  • juliperry
    juliperry Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have actually encouraged my husband to lose weight as I have learned from the help of this sight and members...... and we are doing it together, including exercising! As he also helps me. Team work to lose weight and gain health!!!
  • hifromjamers1984
    hifromjamers1984 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I reached out to someone unknowingly. I had been going through a big rough patch at work, picture 29 year old acting like a 3 year old mid temper tantrum. Then a now former coworker inspired me to join MFP and get serious about my health. Which greatly improved my mood at work. A couple of nights ago I was called up to the office, I went in there thinking I was in trouble it was just the opposite. My team lead wanted to congratulate me on my improvements and let me know that I inspired her to join a gym and get healthy too. Apparently, she had heard me discussing what I had been doing with my friends and it was the push she needed to get started.

No crunches today. Still feeling my training session from Friday :(
This discussion has been closed.