bench press fail

Options
13»

Replies

• DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    And speaking of bench fail, that pretty well describes my day.

I'm not lifting heavy enough to fail yet.

And, I'm lifting all by my lonesome in my garage, so all my "fails" are scrapped attempts to begin with. Cause I'm allergic to a bar landing on my head or throat. :laugh:
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    KirstenTheFamilyCoach Posts: 327 Member
    Options

I try not to focus on the fact that I'm not lifting heavy beacause I'm lifting heavy *for me* and that counts. And besides tonight I found itty bitty baby muscles :happy:

6e2fth.jpg
    2w4in0i.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I try not to focus on the fact that I'm not lifting heavy beacause I'm lifting heavy *for me* and that counts. And besides tonight I found itty bitty baby muscles :happy:

6e2fth.jpg
    2w4in0i.jpg

I approve of this message!
  • MonsterToBe
    MonsterToBe Posts: 244 Member
    Options

6e2fth.jpg
    2w4in0i.jpg

Those are NOT baby muscles, and you look fantastic!! And I'm with the others. Screw anyone who's a jerk about you sitting and resting between sets. If they don't understand the need for it, they don't work out hard enough. :oP

I feel your frustration with bench, though. I made good progress during the first week and it's been excruciatingly slow ever since. Meh.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    Today I did 5x5 squat @ 90 and 5x5 bench @ 55 and 5x4 rows @ 80. I found a quiet out of the way corner and did 15lb weighted step ups and 8 lb weighted inclined abs and grand battements (ballet thing for those of you who don't know: http://youtu.be/csQk558wKdM) during my rest period. While there were other dudes in the gym looking at me oddly I decided it was none of my business what they thought of me and pressed on. I think I only failed on my rows because my poor hands are getting eaten up. I'm looking forward to adding a few more pounds to my bench again in a few days.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    Well, it took longer to get back up there but ... today I did it! 65lb 5x5 bench press. Thank you all so much for your support and advice!

2w4eb8o.jpg
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Well, it took longer to get back up there but ... today I did it! 65lb 5x5 bench press. Thank you all so much for your support and advice!

2w4eb8o.jpg

Good job! Also, I like the grande battements in the gym. Awesome.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

2w4eb8o.jpg

Outstanding!
  • MonsterToBe
    MonsterToBe Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Congratulations! Way to stick with it!

:oD
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You didn't ask for advice, but pro-tip: don't put the clips on the barbell when doing bench. It's not an enormous amount of weight, but if you need to bail you can always tip the bar and drop the weights off. As the weights get heavier this becomes more important.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    You didn't ask for advice, but pro-tip: don't put the clips on the barbell when doing bench. It's not an enormous amount of weight, but if you need to bail you can always tip the bar and drop the weights off. As the weights get heavier this becomes more important.

But what if I spill the weights? How embarrassing!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

But what if I spill the weights? How embarrassing!

You won't. I've never had the weights move more than an inch or two, ever. Hell I never secure them for any exercise, OHP, squat, deadlift, etc. And I wobble plenty, believe me.

Even if you do spill them somehow, it's better than dying when you can't get a heavy bar off your chest or neck. It happens. Maybe not with 65lbs but it's definitely a risk. A surprising number of people die each year due to bench press injuries.

I'm a safety nut, as you can tell :)
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    Well, I'm no good to anyone dead so I'll remove the weights next time I an going to go without a spotter. Thanks for the tip, Grand Master Safety Nut.
This discussion has been closed.