Fantastic food finds!

Options

Replies

• flying182
    flying182 Posts: 26
    Options
    I was looking for low sodium soy sauce & found that the ones that said they were low sodium on the label cost about $2 extra.
    I spent quite a while comparing all of the bottles on the shelf at New World & discovered one called High Mark Japanese Soy Sauce, it's lower in sodium than all the rest & cost the same as normal soy sauce.

I was so stoked with my find that day & nobody at home understood lol

Excellent find! I will look out for this one :smile:
  • Hjbaker
    Hjbaker Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Just found in Countdown:

Avalanche Sugar Free Drinking Chocolate mix - with the other tea/coffee/hot chocolate mixes.

8 calories per serve and NO sugar - beats the pants off all other drinking chocolates which are at least 50-60cal with 5-10g sugar.

http://www.avalanchecoffee.co.nz/TheMenuSugarFree/tabid/102/Default.aspx

Just bought some from Pak n Save (way cheaper as it's on introduction special)... will try it out at morning tea
  • 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Ive been snacking on Dried Banana Chips, especially in the car.

150g (about 20 chips) has about 150 cal, 20g of fat, 10g of carbs.

I use these instead of my old nemesis (Jet Planes) which at 28cal / 6.5g of carbs EACH can trip me up. Sure, the banana has some fat, but that actually satisfies my hunger more, and allows for slower digestion / lower GI.

Basically, I can eat 20 banana chips instead of five Jet Planes for the same calories, but who ever stops at five???
  • shannonwinn
    Options
    Yessssss! Oh my goodness I love this stuff! they have banana and strawberry sugarfree for kids too!
  • KahuNZ
    KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I can't say these cheese bread snacks are low cals but you must try them....yummy! I would make them for a dinner party. I used 3 cheeses - feta, tasty and parmesan. The stronger cheese the better the flavour and so easy to make!

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/easy_brazilian_cheese_bread/

Its not diet food but special occasion only.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Yessssss! Oh my goodness I love this stuff! they have banana and strawberry sugarfree for kids too!

Although be warned! No sugar but the ingredients they use instead (a sugar alcohol and stevia) can have a laxative effect.

And HOW! : /
  • dianebrenchley
    Options
    reading all these good ideas has made me hungry!! my downfall is I work in a school canteen...to easy to nibble...have beentaking my kate morgan bars with me and chopping them into little squares and nibbling those instead. and the weight watchers berry mudslide is my fav treat :)
  • ingies2011
    ingies2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it is mentioned before, but for wellingtonians Moore wilson's have Sujon berries, they have a huge range, inc cherries and rhubarb, as well as the usual blue, black, rasp etc berries. Much cheaper then in the supermarket.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Has anyone heard of Chobani Yoghurt? Apparently awesome but have not seen in any supermarkets here.
  • Mslibb
    Mslibb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hiya - certified burger-ho here with a tip for anyone who is also afflicted by maddening and all-consuming burger cravings...

I recently found Angel Bay Gourmet Lite Burger Patties, in the frozen section... Quite delicious and they have saved me from worshiping at the BK temple twice now :) 121 cals/pattie.

I use them to do up a massive burger with a muffin split for buns, 2 patties, chicken bacon, smokey bbq sauce, tomato and blue cheese for just under 500 cals - burgerlicious!
  • L14nDv
    L14nDv Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump - looking forward to reading this later
  • spangey13
    spangey13 Posts: 294
    Options
    Accidental discovery: Fresh n Fruity Lite Vanilla Dream yoghurt. 100g has 42 calories.

Today I had for breakfast 200g of this yoghurt with a teaspoon of homemade lemon curd. It tasted like lemon meringue pie filling, and it was about 120 calories by the time you add in lemon curd.

I am going to have it for dessert tonight.
  • kathneal67
    kathneal67 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I found in Pak n Sav yesterday MINI cones (vanilla & choc) which are only 65 cals, just a nice size to fill the choc feeling or ice cream feeling. Laughed when I first saw the size, but boy are they nice. They made me think that they look a trumpet ice cream cone that has gone thgouth the wash and shrunk! :smile: :happy:
  • janiecrake
    janiecrake Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Moore wilson's have Sujon berries, they have a huge range, inc cherries and rhubarb,

Havent seen the rhubarb and cherry version- they sound amazing!
    I have Sujon berries with a tin of Aunt bettys low fat rice pudding - it's a lovely treat and only 100 calories per tin (comes in a one portion size two so you're not tempted to go back for seconds!)

Great topic! Getting heaps of ideas here people!
  • janiecrake
    janiecrake Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Mcvities Digestive Biscuits - Original (Can get them with chocolate also)
    71cals for two! Have them with a cup of tea... I am addicted!!
    I think these are 70cals each sadly!
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Has anyone heard of Chobani Yoghurt? Apparently awesome but have not seen in any supermarkets here.
    Can't get chobani here. I use the collective greek yoghurt. They have just been through a rebranding and are now marketed as "skinnies" not greeks, but they are the same thing, high protein etc.
  • NZchiquita
    NZchiquita Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just found an awesome treat option - Kapiti Passionfruit yogurt ice cream!! Only 152 calories, great when your partner wants a magnum or something like that and you want to join them in having a special treat.
  • _Liz_M_
    _Liz_M_ Posts: 39
    Options
    This is a lovely substitute for ice cream. A little expensive for family use so tuck one in the back of the freezer just for you.
    http://www.zilch.co.nz/nutritionalinfo.cfm
  • moulinette92
    moulinette92 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just found in Countdown:

Avalanche Sugar Free Drinking Chocolate mix - with the other tea/coffee/hot chocolate mixes.

8 calories per serve and NO sugar - beats the pants off all other drinking chocolates which are at least 50-60cal with 5-10g sugar.

http://www.avalanchecoffee.co.nz/TheMenuSugarFree/tabid/102/Default.aspx

I bought their sugar free hot chocolate last week, which is also 8 calories per serve. It's so nice.
  • Hjbaker
    Hjbaker Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Le Snaks - not really a health food since they pack a bit of fat- but that's not always a bad thing. 3 crackers and some cheese flavoured goodness for 88 cal- yes please (varies slightly by flavour -FYI)