Unable to break plateau

Options

Replies

• mk9562
    mk9562 Posts: 186
    Options
    Thanks. I don't get it either. It's hard to not have the give up feeling when I bust my butt and I'm getting no where anymore. I'm trying to keep my chin up.
    I recently ordered GSP rush fit, it will be here next week. Looking fwd to starting it. Hoping it will mix up my routine.
  • BarbBBQ
    BarbBBQ Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    bump---I'm in the SAME BOAT!!!!! its so frustrating!!!!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Just a heads up: no problem with bumping threads, but people shouldn't necessarily apply the advice given in any plateau threads because we are considering each individual and their stats, history, and information when we recommend a next step. Many times this wont be applicable to anyone else's plateau.

To anyone reading this, if you're stuck and you want feedback or direction, make your own thread rather than trying to apply advice from someone else's situation.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sorry - forgot to ask, how many days are you doing lifting and how much cardio?
  • mk9562
    Options
    Sorry - forgot to ask, how many days are you doing lifting and how much cardio?

Currently I will do 45-60 min of just cardio one day, next day 40-60 min weight lifting/strength training followed with 20 min of cardio. I keep alternating this routine. I take 1-2 days a wk as a rest day
    My cardio workouts are, kickboxing, running and ARC trainer
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Thanks!.

You routine looks well balanced from what I can see.

I did the math on your intake, over 3 of the last 4 week periods and you were pretty even at within 100 of 1,400 calories on average and within 10g of 100g for protein and really close to 40g on fats.

So, and I realize that this may be a frustrating response, we are going to ask you to continue at your current intake for 2 more weeks. We have a feeling that your results are being masked by some water weight fluctuations, both from your cycle as well as changes in your lifting routine and so would like to give it a little more time to identify any trends when taking these out of the equation.

Could you keep up updated as to what your weight is doing on a more regular basis however (a weekly update would be great).

While you are 'waiting' I would also suggest you tweak your macros a bit. Try to get, as a minimum: 115g of protein and 50g of fats (not too far off where you were).

As a heads up, we may end up suggesting that you walk your calories up and then take a cut from there, but want to avoid that if we can for now as your weight has been going up. Hopefully your weight will continue to go back down as the water weight stabilizes...but this may be an option if it does not.
  • mk9562
    Options
    I have my calories set at 1650, should I am to eat that this week or eat at 1400? What should I look at for net?
    I'll try a tad but more fat. Handful of almonds should help. I can easily get in more protein.

Thanks
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to offer up any advice as the experts have you covered but I have been following your thread since you first posted and what I did want to say is to keep your chin up :smile:

I know first hand how frustrating it is seeing that scale go up when you are working your butt off and tracking everything you put in your mouth! When you feel frustrated just remind yourself that you are doing AWESOME and that the changes you have made are making and keeping you HEALTHY regardless of what the scale says :smile:

Keep at it and follow Sara and SideSteel's advice ! You WILL overcome this hurdle!!
  • mk9562
    Options
    I'm not going to offer up any advice as the experts have you covered but I have been following your thread since you first posted and what I did want to say is to keep your chin up :smile:

I know first hand how frustrating it is seeing that scale go up when you are working your butt off and tracking everything you put in your mouth! When you feel frustrated just remind yourself that you are doing AWESOME and that the changes you have made are making and keeping you HEALTHY regardless of what the scale says :smile:

Keep at it and follow Sara and SideSteel's advice ! You WILL overcome this hurdle!!

Thank you. I keep telling myself that I've come to far to give up now.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I have my calories set at 1650, should I am to eat that this week or eat at 1400? What should I look at for net?
    I'll try a tad but more fat. Handful of almonds should help. I can easily get in more protein.

Thanks

I don't wan't to vary too much as it will skew the base numbers, so it you can work to approx. 1,500 that would be great (and not a big jump from the last month that averages about 1,450).

Ignore net calories - just eat to that number.
  • mk9562
    Options
    So change my goal number to 1500
  • SideSteel
    Options
    So change my goal number to 1500

Yes, and do not increase your intake on exercise days. You should eat at a relatively flat intake of 1500.
  • mk9562
    Options
    Ok work to eat 1500, keep my normal workout?

My rush fit comes today and hope to start this week.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eat more! You want to eat 1200 net at least every day. You're not. I'd eat 1700 a day, at least. Your metabolism has probably slowed down a lot by eating 1000 net some days, so you might have to reset it altogether by eating at maintenance for a few weeks before you can lose again.

And you'll get faster replies in other forums I think.. and they'll tell you what I told you. I'm a bit surprised by the answers you got here, frankly.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Eat more! You want to eat 1200 net at least every day. You're not. I'd eat 1700 a day, at least. Your metabolism has probably slowed down a lot by eating 1000 net some days, so you might have to reset it altogether by eating at maintenance for a few weeks before you can lose again.

And you'll get faster replies in other forums I think.. and they'll tell you what I told you. I'm a bit surprised by the answers you got here, frankly.

First of all, if you took the time to read the replies carefully you'll note that Sara already explained that we may be incrementally increasing this persons intake for potential upregulation, possibly even a diet break.

However, we need to gather more information because unlike other groups where faster answers may occur, we actually like to apply context instead of blanket recommendations such as the one in your reply which somehow indicates that there's a magical number of calories someone needs to eat.

Secondarily, we already apologized for the delay in this post. I bought a new house and my contributions to this group were very limited over the past two weeks. This post was basically missed/lost and it's unfortunate and we apologized to the OP. We have over 2000 members in this group and if you'll note in the following link, Sara and I prefer to limit intake questions to ourselves. In other words, people come here to get our feedback, not yours.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/861596-please-read

We occasionally miss posts. We experience delays especially in plateau threads because Sara and I have lengthy discussions on all of them to ensure that we are on the same page with recommendations.

If you think you've got better advice to provide, start your own damn group.
  • mk9562
    Options
    Well Saturday I was 149 and today 148.4. Only slight change, but that makes me happy.

Sunday calories in 1522, burned 599
    Monday calories in 1717, burned 679
    Tuesday calories in 1459, burned 403

Today I will be doing a spin class, which I usually burn 600-700. So I'm going to try to eat more than 1500. Even if its just a 2nd scoop of protein in my post workout drink.

I'm feeling confident this week. Fingers crossed.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I've been reading this thread and just want to offer my encouragement to you. I just *know* that the three of you will figure out what works!
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

Heh! :happy:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Well Saturday I was 149 and today 148.4. Only slight change, but that makes me happy.

Sunday calories in 1522, burned 599
    Monday calories in 1717, burned 679
    Tuesday calories in 1459, burned 403

Today I will be doing a spin class, which I usually burn 600-700. So I'm going to try to eat more than 1500. Even if its just a 2nd scoop of protein in my post workout drink.

I'm feeling confident this week. Fingers crossed.

I hope your weigh in goes well tomorrow. Keep up updated so we can make tweaks as needed.
This discussion has been closed.