May 2013 Fitness Challenge

Options
melkadee
melkadee Posts: 5,598 Member
The May Challenge ...

This challenge begins May 1, 2013!
The challenge will end May 31, 2013

Walk, Jog, or Run 50 miles! Feel free to set a personal goal of more than 50 miles.

Record your daily miles and let's support the members of the group!

I created my ticker at tickerfactory.com. You can choose to create a ticker or you may list your miles for the day along with a total for the month. Choose the method that is easiest for you.

Here is an example of one way to possible post if you choose not to use a ticker:

5/1 - 2.3 miles
5/2 - 1.1 miles
5/3 - 0 miles

Total - 3.4 miles/ 46.6 miles to go

Replies

• kathneal67
    kathneal67 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi I would like to join and I give you permission to kick my but when I am lagging as I need motivating to do some exercise very badly.
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'll join, as I am an "Oldie", what my nine yo daughter calls me since we are about ten years older that other parents of her friends. I married at 35 and and got pregnant the one and only time and had my daughter two weeks before I turned 37. I like being an older mom, as I can second that I am more patient and take the time to enjoy my daughter than I would have as a 20 something mom. I feel I am wiser now and take a long view on parenting. That being said I've never been so tired as when I had a child under three years. I most definitely feel having babies and rearing small kids is a young woman's game overall.

My fitness goals are general, right now in the mist of losing a goal of 10lbs. My May goal is a completing a 5k on May 11th and to continue toward my weight loss goal. I have found documenting my intake really helps and have made a commitment to do it. My diary is open and I love seeing other people's. So please add me and take a look at mine anytime. I post the real unvarnished truth in eating.
  • sherylhs
    sherylhs Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The May Challenge ...

This challenge begins May 1, 2013!
    The challenge will end May 31, 2013

Walk, Jog, or Run 50 miles! Feel free to set a personal goal of more than 50 miles.

Record your daily miles and let's support the members of the group!

Ok, I'm in.

ugh....
  • melkadee
    Options
    Hi I would like to join and I give you permission to kick my but when I am lagging as I need motivating to do some exercise very badly.

I have not been as active lately too. Let's do this!:happy:
  • melkadee
    Options
    I'll join, as I am an "Oldie", what my nine yo daughter calls me since we are about ten years older that other parents of her friends. I married at 35 and and got pregnant the one and only time and had my daughter two weeks before I turned 37. I like being an older mom, as I can second that I am more patient and take the time to enjoy my daughter than I would have as a 20 something mom. I feel I am wiser now and take a long view on parenting. That being said I've never been so tired as when I had a child under three years. I most definitely feel having babies and rearing small kids is a young woman's game overall.

My fitness goals are general, right now in the mist of losing a goal of 10lbs. My May goal is a completing a 5k on May 11th and to continue toward my weight loss goal. I have found documenting my intake really helps and have made a commitment to do it. My diary is open and I love seeing other people's. So please add me and take a look at mine anytime. I post the real unvarnished truth in eating.

"Oldie" ... that's cute. I like how you describe yourself as taking a long view on parenting. Good luck on the 5K! :happy:
  • melkadee
    Options

Ok, I'm in.

ugh....

We can do this! :happy:
  • kathneal67
    kathneal67 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have just worked out I wil have to do mine in K's and that means a higher number! YUCK. So I have to do 80 k's.

Wish me luck and if I don't post, kick my butt!
  • melkadee
    Options
    I have just worked out I wil have to do mine in K's and that means a higher number! YUCK. So I have to do 80 k's.

Wish me luck and if I don't post, kick my butt!

You can do it!
  • Brie4me
    Brie4me Posts: 238
    Options
    When I first read this I thought it was for runners. I'm glad I revisited this thread because I see that walking the 50 miles is an option to join. So I'm in, too!! Now I'll need a pedometer....
  • melkadee
    Options
    When I first read this I thought it was for runners. I'm glad I revisited this thread because I see that walking the 50 miles is an option to join. So I'm in, too!! Now I'll need a pedometer....

I am so glad you revisited it! I am not a runner, but I hope to someday become one :wink: ! We can do this!
  • rocky503
    Options
    www.walkjogrun.net

If you aren't crazy about using a pedometer (I don't like them, I've had at least four and they don't work or break easily for me) this web site is great for mapping routes you use for walking and running. Also if you have a smart phone there are map apps you can use to keep track of your mileage. So to meet the 50 mile goal that works out to be about 1.6 miles a day, which should be doable for most people within 30 minutes or less. So that's the commitment. On a good week when I walk five days I usually clock about 15 miles in a week. For me that breaks down to about 45 minutes at a 15 minute mile pace five days a week.

Fitness is about time management and making appointments to get exercise tasks done. Just thinking about walking 50 miles can seem daunting unless it's broken down in to realistic and doable segments. Happy walking and I have confidence that all of us here can do this.
  • Brie4me
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, Rocky! I enlisted a non-MFP friend to join me, and we were just talking about how unreliable pedometers can be. I don't have an iphone so I can't use that particular app you shared. So, I just signed up for www.runtastic.com, which is compatible with my android. It also can sync with MFP!
  • melkadee
    Options
    Let's do this! :bigsmile:

exercise.png
  • rocky503
    Options
    I most definitely will log in for challenge. How are we posting our mileage?
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    def in!!! do we just post our total at end of month?
  • melkadee
    Options
    Kathneal67 is working on getting info. on creating and posting tickers. I created my ticker above at tickerfactory.com. You can choose to create a ticker or you may list your miles for the day along with a total for the month. Choose the method that is easiest for you.

Here is an example of one way to possible post if you choose not to use a ticker:

5/1 - 2.3 miles
    5/2 - 1.1 miles
    5/3 - 0 miles

Total - 3.4 miles/ 46.6 miles to go
  • dchienku
    dchienku Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I am going to do this.....please keep me on task. If I start to lag behind give me a good swift kick! I am going to set my goal to 93 miles for the month of May.
    THanks for the encouragement,
    Denise
  • imabanta
    imabanta Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What a great challenge! I'm in!!!
  • Brie4me
    Options
    May 1st is here! I did 4.6 miles :smile:

I used the Runtastic app. It is saying I burned 727 cals. My HRM says 784. I'm considering changing what the app logged on here to what my HRM shows. Would you do that if it were you?

exercise.png
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I will make 50 as I try to get back on the wagon but a goal is a great thing to have! I'm going to try!