New to strength training is my diet restricting progress?

sarah5423
sarah5423 Posts: 152 Member
I started with a personal trainer 3 weeks ago in order to improve my body composition after losing 32lbs and a lot of muscle. My trainer suggested last night that I increase my carb intake and up my calories - I would love some advice on whether you think this is the right thing to do for me. My aim is to reach around 16% BF and have more defined muscles with toned legs. I have been in the losing weight / being under calorie goal mindset for so long that I rarely eat back all of my exercise calories and still generally have a weekly deficit of over 1000 calories. I want to ensure that I make the most of my 16 week training program and make good progress. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated!

1) What's your current intake of calories gross, on average? 1600

2) What's your current average intake of protein, carbs, and fats, in grams? 167g, 166g, 36g

3) Do you use a food scale and measure everything? Yes

4) Do you track all of your intake, daily? (Everything?) Yes

5) Do you take cheat days or days off? Not intentional days no but on the rare occasion I go out to eat I go for the healthiest option and may go over very slightly on my days calories

6) How much weight have you lost so far? 32lbs

7) What is your activity like, both exercise and non-exercise? I work 4 days per week driving 2 hours each day and sitting for 8 hours at my desk – on non-work days I do general activities like cooking, cleaning, walking – nothing to extreme

Exercise: Strength training 2 x 30 minute sessions per week with personal trainer. Work mornings (4 days per week) I do a fast paced walk / jog with the dog for about 25 minutes. I aim to do additional walks throughout the week for at least 30 minutes usually 3 days of this.

8) How long have you eaten at your previous amount and what happened in that time frame? I started with MFP in Feb 2012 and generally ate under the 1200 calorie mark and since December after a lot of research and gained knowledge I have slowly increased my calorie intake to where I am now. I consistently lost 1lb per week from Feb to October and hit 30lbs lost – have lost an additional 2lbs since then.

9) What's your height, current weight and if you know it, bodyfat%? 5’2”, 98lbs, 18.2%

10) If you're stalled, for how long and is it a complete stall (zero change in weight)? N/A

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Hi, I just want to read the replies. I'm curious because we are the same size. I eat 1950 to 2100 usually (sometimes more). I only lost 5 pounds, though.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Tagging.
  • Shen191
    Shen191 Posts: 86 Member
    Good on you Sares..for asking Sara and SS...they will help you lots :-) Look forward to seeing how you go xxx
  • Meegz84
    Meegz84 Posts: 74
    Considering you are telling me to up my calories to close to the 2000 mark missy... hahah...
    I would say go for it... As long as you are eating good healthy carbs (which I know you would!)

listen to your trainer.... you can always make changes after the 16 weeks training if its not working as you thought it would xx
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    You are a tad underweight according to the BMI (which is not always indicative of 'healthy' body weights but is an indicator, especially at the lower end). Are you looking to gain some additional muscle rather than lose weigh per se?

Did you lift any weights prior to starting with your trainer?

How did you get your BF%?
  • sarah5423
    Considering you are telling me to up my calories to close to the 2000 mark missy... hahah...
    I would say go for it... As long as you are eating good healthy carbs (which I know you would!)

listen to your trainer.... you can always make changes after the 16 weeks training if its not working as you thought it would xx

Ha ha Meegz fair point but using the same calculator and using lightly active (which I don't feel I am) still only puts my TDEE in at 1589! It's becuase I'm such a short *kitten*! :happy:
  • sarah5423
    You are a tad underweight according to the BMI (which is not always indicative of 'healthy' body weights but is an indicator, especially at the lower end). Are you looking to gain some additional muscle rather than lose weigh per se?

Did you lift any weights prior to starting with your trainer?

How did you get your BF%?

Yes the chart says I'm slightly underweight but I certainly don't look it at all. I would like to gain some muscle and basically have a more toned look overall - I don't want to lose any more scale weight and happy for the scale to increase and inches to decrease.

The only kind of weight training I did which I'm sure doesn't really count was the Jillian Michaels DVD's - not consistently but 3 - 4 days per week for around 3 months.

My trainer measured my body fat with calipers and tape measure.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Thanks! We will get back to you shortly with our recommendations.
  • sarah5423
    Thanks! We will get back to you shortly with our recommendations.

Thank you - look forward to hearing the verdict!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    What do your sessions look like with your trainer?

Curious to see what sara and ss come up with
  • sarah5423
    What do your sessions look like with your trainer?

Curious to see what sara and ss come up with

This is the breakdown my trainer sent me:

DAY 1 LEGS + ARMS

Squats 4*8
    DB Lunges 3*10
    Leg Extension 3*10
    Tricep ez bar extension 3*10
    Bicep ez bar curl 3*10
    Leg raises 3*10

DAY 2 BACK, CHEST + SHOULDERS

Dead lifts 4*8
    Reverse pull downs 3*10
    Incline bar press 3*8
    Push-ups 3*10
    DB shoulder press 3*8
    Full body crunch 3*10

In weeks 1 & 2 we will be performing basic hard sets with around 1 min rest in between.

In week 3 we will be performing super sets, which I will explain more in the coming sessions.

In week 4 we will be performing drop sets, again which I will explain more as we train.

For the last 4 weeks we will repeat this process, whilst increasing the weight and intensity levels throughout.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Which days do you see your trainer? Are you able to access the gym on other days?
  • sarah5423
    Which days do you see your trainer? Are you able to access the gym on other days?

Training is Tuesday evening and Thursday morning and it doesn't include gym access unfortunately it's specifically for PT and group sessions. Would you suggest additional training on other days?
  • BinaryPulsar
    Just about the weight. I think it varies a lot because of frame size. I have a very small frame. Small rib cage, small wrists, small feet, small waist, etc...all smaller than average (I can't buy shoes in the woman's shoe store and many clothing stores do not sell my size). I always weighed between 98 and 103 pounds for all of my adult life when I was active and not pregnant. And I have never, during that time, been considered underweight by my doctors. The BMI charts are based on averages and can be helpful, but for petite people with small frames, it doesn't mean we are underweight if we are slightly below. I've been lifting weights and I've been weighing 102 pretty consistently, lately. No one thinks I look too thin, but people do comment on how fit and slender I am very often. I don't mean to butt in, just wanted to add that info.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Just about the weight. I think it varies a lot because of frame size. I have a very small frame. Small rib cage, small wrists, small feet, small waist, etc...all smaller than average (I can't buy shoes in the woman's shoe store and many clothing stores do not sell my size). I always weighed between 98 and 103 pounds for all of my adult life when I was active and not pregnant. And I have never, during that time, been considered underweight by my doctors. The BMI charts are based on averages and can be helpful, but for petite people with small frames, it doesn't mean we are underweight if we are slightly below. I've been lifting weights and I've been weighing 102 pretty consistently, lately. No one thinks I look too thin, but people do comment on how fit and slender I am very often. I don't mean to butt in, just wanted to add that info.

^^actually, thank you for adding context. I actually think of you when I think of people that are under the BMI 'healthy' range but who actually are very healthy and who eat a good amount (actually, quite a lot) of food. It is good to keep some perspective that low BMI *can* just be because someone is slender (vs skinny).
  • Sarauk2sf

Training is Tuesday evening and Thursday morning and it doesn't include gym access unfortunately it's specifically for PT and group sessions. Would you suggest additional training on other days?

I still need to catch up with SideSteel regarding making sure we are on the same page, but I am 100% sure he will agree that adding in another strength training session will be very beneficial. I do not think you need a trainer for that, assuming you can access a gym or at least have some decent home gym equipment. Do you think getting access to a gym for an additional 1 day a week feasible?
  • sarah5423
    Unfortunately I have no home equipment currently but have been discussing this with hubby and we plan to set a home gym up in the garage. In order to access a gym 1 day per week I would need to sign up and pay a membership which isn't really an option finically whilst I'm paying out for the PT sessions. I think any home based routines are more of an option at the moment.
  • BinaryPulsar

^^actually, thank you for adding context. I actually think of you when I think of people that are under the BMI 'healthy' range but who actually are very healthy and who eat a good amount (actually, quite a lot) of food. It is good to keep some perspective that low BMI *can* just be because someone is slender (vs skinny).

Oh, good. Thanks. Yeah, I do eat a lot. I eat way above what any of the TDEE calculations recommend for someone my size. And I've never gone on a low calorie diet.
  • Shen191
    Shen191 Posts: 86 Member
    Just from an outsiders POV (as I know Sares is very tough on herself ;-) I personaly think she is more active than she gives herself credit for (I know you have desk job Sares...but every other moment you are so busy walking your big heavy dog and rushing about keeping house/busy)...you most definately look very petite at the moment and I would have to agree with the BMI levels for you being close to under-weight.

Getting advice on building muscle will be really handy for you, but I would be careful in the 'happy to loose more inches' part as you are very tiny already. Just my two cents (from someone who has met Sarah in person) xxx
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Just from an outsiders POV (as I know Sares is very tough on herself ;-) I personaly think she is more active than she gives herself credit for (I know you have desk job Sares...but every other moment you are so busy walking your big heavy dog and rushing about keeping house/busy)...you most definately look very petite

I agree with this! Sarah, you're much more active than you're giving yourself credit for!
  • Sarauk2sf
    I will respond re your intake shortly, but wanted to post this link to Convict Conditioning. It's a body weight workout that you do not need equipment for. It is apparently open source so I am hoping there is no copyright infringement issue...

http://ia700805.us.archive.org/27/items/ConvictConditioning/ConvictConditioningnonOcr.pdf

I think it has a lot of good ideas for a full body home workout that you could do either Saturday or Sunday.

The current program you are on with the PT is not ideal to be honest. One main reason is that it is a split routine and I you will benefit from working muscle groups more than once a week.
  • sarah5423
    I will respond re your intake shortly, but wanted to post this link to Convict Conditioning. It's a body weight workout that you do not need equipment for. It is apparently open source so I am hoping there is no copyright infringement issue...

http://ia700805.us.archive.org/27/items/ConvictConditioning/ConvictConditioningnonOcr.pdf

I think it has a lot of good ideas for a full body home workout that you could do either Saturday or Sunday.

The current program you are on with the PT is not ideal to be honest. One main reason is that it is a split routine and I you will benefit from working muscle groups more than once a week.

Thank you Sara I will look at this today - I'm more than happy to incorporate additional training and the weekend is ideal for me.

Would you suggest that I look at changing my routine with my trainer? I signed up to 16 weeks of PT sessions because I am a complete beginner and wanted to ensure I learnt the correct form in order to make the most of lifting - after this I will more than likely join a gym to continue at a more affordable cost. I of course want to make the most of my PT sessions and would appreciate any suggestions you have.

Thank you again for your help!
  • Sarauk2sf
    I would go with the trainers' schedule - in the first couple of months the actual program does not matter that much with regards to seeing improvement, assuming it is not totally crap, which it is not. Adding in an additional day of full body workout will 'fix' the main issue with it that I see.

I would however ask why they thinking of supersetting and doing drop sets as I am not sure of the benefit at your stage to be honest.

I also would ask them to include a standing overhead barbell press as it is included in most programs.
  • sarah5423
    I would go with the trainers' schedule - in the first couple of months the actual program does not matter that much with regards to seeing improvement, assuming it is not totally crap, which it is not. Adding in an additional day of full body workout will 'fix' the main issue with it that I see.

I would however ask why they thinking of supersetting and doing drop sets as I am not sure of the benefit at your stage to be honest.

I also would ask them to include a standing overhead barbell press as it is included in most programs.

Thank you Sara I will continue as suggested and query with my trainer re the supersetting and drop sets - as I say I am a complete beginner so really didn't know any different to question this in the beginning.

Do you have any opinions on my food intake? I have been more hungry than normal the past week and have eaten a lot more than previously, I have upped my carb intake but still finding that I'm hungry a lot of the time. I want to ensure that my diet isn't restricting progress and that I'm heading in the right direction on this side of things as well as my workouts.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Bumping to make sure it gets to the top of the pile - will try to respond tomorrow.
  • SideSteel

Thank you Sara I will continue as suggested and query with my trainer re the supersetting and drop sets - as I say I am a complete beginner so really didn't know any different to question this in the beginning.

Do you have any opinions on my food intake? I have been more hungry than normal the past week and have eaten a lot more than previously, I have upped my carb intake but still finding that I'm hungry a lot of the time. I want to ensure that my diet isn't restricting progress and that I'm heading in the right direction on this side of things as well as my workouts.

What is your bodyweight doing at your current level of calorie intake?

When did you increase your carb intake and in order to do so did you reduce another macronutrient (fat) or did you increase carbohydrate AND calories when you made this increase?
  • sarah5423

When did you increase your carb intake and in order to do so did you reduce another macronutrient (fat) or did you increase carbohydrate AND calories when you made this increase?

My weight seems to be staying the same (some days slightly lower) but I have crappy scales - not digital so don't have very accurate measurements - although I would expect it to be going up slightly with increased muscle (hopefully).

I've increased carb intake over the past week and a half which has lowered my protein and fat intake slightly - I have not increased my target calories but am aiming to eat back more of my exercise calories where as in the past I would have a weekly deficit of up to 2000 calories - this has lowered to between 1000 - 1400.

I space my meals throughout the day between 9.30am - 4pm eating every 2 hours and generally feel pretty hungry all of the time - waiting for my next meal. I then finish work and don't ususally eat dinner until gone 8pm.

My trainer commented last night that from the session I had he believes the increased carbs are working for me as I achieved more than previous sessions.

Thank you for your help...
  • SideSteel

My weight seems to be staying the same (some days slightly lower) but I have crappy scales - not digital so don't have very accurate measurements - although I would expect it to be going up slightly with increased muscle (hopefully).

I've increased carb intake over the past week and a half which has lowered my protein and fat intake slightly - I have not increased my target calories but am aiming to eat back more of my exercise calories where as in the past I would have a weekly deficit of up to 2000 calories - this has lowered to between 1000 - 1400.

I space my meals throughout the day between 9.30am - 4pm eating every 2 hours and generally feel pretty hungry all of the time - waiting for my next meal. I then finish work and don't ususally eat dinner until gone 8pm.

My trainer commented last night that from the session I had he believes the increased carbs are working for me as I achieved more than previous sessions.

Strictly from a satiety standpoint I would suspect your frequent eating and your low fat intake could both potentially be contributing to your hunger issues.

I'd recommend one or both of the following, and again I'm currently looking at satiety. Whether or not your total intake is correct is a separate issue that we could potentially address given more information.

1) Reduce your number of meals so that you're eating larger meals. For example you could try eating 4 meals per day instead of eating every 2 hours. This would give you larger meals.

2) Decrease protein by about 35g and increase fat by about 15g and see if this is noticeable.
  • sarah5423

Strictly from a satiety standpoint I would suspect your frequent eating and your low fat intake could both potentially be contributing to your hunger issues.

I'd recommend one or both of the following, and again I'm currently looking at satiety. Whether or not your total intake is correct is a separate issue that we could potentially address given more information.

1) Reduce your number of meals so that you're eating larger meals. For example you could try eating 4 meals per day instead of eating every 2 hours. This would give you larger meals.

2) Decrease protein by about 35g and increase fat by about 15g and see if this is noticeable.

Thank you for your response SS - I have changed my macro goals as suggested and will work on these - Will also eat larger meals in the morning and afternoon as dinner is already a good sized meal.

If you could assist with my current intake I would be very grateful - what further information do you require?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Rebumping as I noticed we missed a question.