Any "Old School" gamers out there?

Options

Replies

• synthomarsh
    synthomarsh Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have been using Gurps 3rd edition in my game have all the pdfs of the books from the internet. but I am not opposed to buying some stuff off ebay cheap and I am totally down for a serious game, I really wanna see how the online gaming can work out
  • synthomarsh
    Options
    I have no problems learning or using any other system either, I think it should be ultimately whoever is the GM choice as to which system, pdfs can probably be found for any system with enough internet digging
  • ericnealdavis
    ericnealdavis Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Gurp's would be cool, I haven't played that system in 20 years, especially if you can email us the PDF's or point us to them online. But of course, it'll be GM's choice as to system and I'm good with anything.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Having the PDF's for Gurps is useful since we could get everyone up to speed with a few e-mails. I know that I have not haven't looked at Gurps at all for about one and a half decades so I would have to really bone up on it. I do know that we would have the advantage of being able to pick a modern day setting with Gurps which is something that I feel would be pretty useful given this game would already be entrenched within the internet as it is.
  • i_dont_want_2_be_fat_anymore
    Options
    If you are talking about Free material, then i would recommend either...

www.d20srd.org or www.d20pfsrd.com.

Granted, it's d20, but it's also open and there is no cost involved.

Just a thought to help throw out more ideas that won't cost anyone anything.
  • synthomarsh
    Options
    cool whoever is interested shoot me a message with your email address and Ill mail out the basic book to let every get re-acquainted see if thats what we are gonna roll with
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I started playing Basic D&D in junior high and quickly moved to AD&D. For a long time I had the original version of D&D and Expert D&D in the box with their modules (Keep On The Borderlands and Isle of Dread) as well as original additions of the Players Handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide, Monster Manual, Fiend Folio, etc etc. Mom gave them all away in a yard sale when i was away in college along with all my mid to late-70s baseball cards. I'm still bitter about that.

If you guys are interested in starting games with your old crews, look into NeverWinter Nights. There are all kinds of modules for it and you can build your own from scratch. A lot of the classic old modules like Tomb of Horrors have been recreated. Pretty sure you can log in as DM and have your players log in as players and run the game online.

Never done it but know some guys who still do.

We had a fun game in college where we really tried to keep in character. I had a drow who was an archery master. One of my buddies had a Cavalier who would ride off to charge anyone who was attacking the innocent. We were hiding to ambush some bad guys and the cavalier hears some damsel in distress and hands the DM a note that I know says something along the lines of "I'm going to save the girl." I quickly hand the DM another note and he announces. The cavalier breaks cover and charges in the direction of the damsel in distress and is shocked to find himself sailing through the air and taking 2d6 of damage when bosotnwolf shoots his horse out from under him."

Good times! :)

Correct me if I am wrong but if he left his hiding place to go save the damsel the ambush is already lost. Now you don't have anyone trying to the damsel and the cover is broken. I would think it better to just go ahead with the attack even if it was ahead of schedule since the cavalier has already made his move. Perhaps my understanding of the situation is incomplete.

True, the ambush was done as soon as he broke cover. I shot the horse and then we started attacking the group we were targeting. Still handled them but I think my character actually died or came close to it.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I am very respectful to anyone who takes on the mantel of responsibility that is being a DM. I will admit however, that if a person is reading out of a module it just bugs me. I see modules as training wheels. I can play a game where the DM is using a module and I will do all I can to be a positive contribution to the team. I would expect over time for the module to end and for the DM to be able to keep the game going. There just comes a time when the training wheels have to come off and when you get to my level you can't imagine actually putting them back on. I may borrow an aspect of a module that I think is well done like a villain for example but I will put my own spin on everything in my world. I will describe my own scenarios and I will know where I am taking the story.

Agree. If I ran a module, I pretty much knew it by heart before presenting it to my group.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    I started playing Basic D&D in junior high and quickly moved to AD&D. For a long time I had the original version of D&D and Expert D&D in the box with their modules (Keep On The Borderlands and Isle of Dread) as well as original additions of the Players Handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide, Monster Manual, Fiend Folio, etc etc. Mom gave them all away in a yard sale when i was away in college along with all my mid to late-70s baseball cards. I'm still bitter about that.

If you guys are interested in starting games with your old crews, look into NeverWinter Nights. There are all kinds of modules for it and you can build your own from scratch. A lot of the classic old modules like Tomb of Horrors have been recreated. Pretty sure you can log in as DM and have your players log in as players and run the game online.

Never done it but know some guys who still do.

We had a fun game in college where we really tried to keep in character. I had a drow who was an archery master. One of my buddies had a Cavalier who would ride off to charge anyone who was attacking the innocent. We were hiding to ambush some bad guys and the cavalier hears some damsel in distress and hands the DM a note that I know says something along the lines of "I'm going to save the girl." I quickly hand the DM another note and he announces. The cavalier breaks cover and charges in the direction of the damsel in distress and is shocked to find himself sailing through the air and taking 2d6 of damage when bosotnwolf shoots his horse out from under him."

Good times! :)

Correct me if I am wrong but if he left his hiding place to go save the damsel the ambush is already lost. Now you don't have anyone trying to the damsel and the cover is broken. I would think it better to just go ahead with the attack even if it was ahead of schedule since the cavalier has already made his move. Perhaps my understanding of the situation is incomplete.

True, the ambush was done as soon as he broke cover. I shot the horse and then we started attacking the group we were targeting. Still handled them but I think my character actually died or came close to it.

Oh that is fantastic! I audibly laughed when I read this. This means you didn't even stop him to preserve the ambush you did it just to be a dlck. You are like screw you and now on to the fight. And the fact that you put yourself in extreme peril to do all this purely on principle makes it even better. I really feel for the horse in this one though. He is simply a casualty caught in the crossfire between you two.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    Well I did some forward planning and If I don't manage to put together a D&D weekend in May there is a risk that I won't be able to play again until August.

The parties leader is graduating from college on the third Friday of May.
    June I will be with my daughter.
    July several members of the group will be out of town.

This potentially sucks.
  • synthomarsh
    Options
    oh that does suck man. I have been freaking out cause we play once every other week, well our game day landed on our buddies bachelor party so one month is killing me
  • ericnealdavis
    Options
    Well I did some forward planning and If I don't manage to put together a D&D weekend in May there is a risk that I won't be able to play again until August.

The parties leader is graduating from college on the third Friday of May.
    June I will be with my daughter.
    July several members of the group will be out of town.

This potentially sucks.

If we start a MFP game online we can play from anywhere!
  • synthomarsh
    Options
    [/quote]

If we start a MFP game online we can play from anywhere!
    [/quote]
    aye
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    GeekyGirlLyn Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I just had to throw my two cents, just saw this in the Gamers forum. >< Need to check more often I swear. Old school player here. Well...not sure 3.0 and 3.5 D & D is old school but yeah. Lol. I also saw someone mention White Wolf....uh yeah. Which game didnt I play in that system. Changeling, Vamp, Werewolf, and lots of the Year of the Lotus games. So anyways, just throwing myself into the room/forum/ether as a player of many games even still (though mostly MMORPG's due to being in Grad School and what not)
  • soldier4242
    Options
    I just had to throw my two cents, just saw this in the Gamers forum. >< Need to check more often I swear. Old school player here. Well...not sure 3.0 and 3.5 D & D is old school but yeah. Lol. I also saw someone mention White Wolf....uh yeah. Which game didnt I play in that system. Changeling, Vamp, Werewolf, and lots of the Year of the Lotus games. So anyways, just throwing myself into the room/forum/ether as a player of many games even still (though mostly MMORPG's due to being in Grad School and what not)

Well this is just my personal opinion but I think that anyone who plays a game where you have a DM/GM/Story Teller and you are sitting around a table making decisions and the real action of the story is taking place in the mind counts as an old school gamer. I am not one to say that you only count as old school is you were in by X edition. I started with 2nd edition D&D and I now play 3.5 but I count it all as "old school."
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    Options
    Well thanks for that then. :) I know some people who dont consider me a real old school gamer because I didnt play D & D from whatever iteration they want to consider the original, best, first etc. So refreshing to see some people who are like...bah, youre a gamer so its whatever. But yeah my old school started with Whitewolf then drifted into D&D and managed to slide into WoW and RIFT now to.
  • ericnealdavis
    Options
    Welcome Geeky girl from one of the Geeky Guys. As far as I'm concerned if you ever rolled dice that didn't necessarily have 6 sides you are old school!
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    Options
    lol. Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, I still have all my dice floating around. 20 sided, 10 sided, 1d4 d6....percentile....lol. Theyre everywhere.
  • synthomarsh
    Options
    I still randomly find dice in different drawers of my parents house lol
  • soldier4242
    Options
    My brother has so many dice that he actually has a traditional school sized backpack full of dice. He brings it to every game session.