May 2013 Fitness Challenge

Options

Replies

• melkadee
    melkadee Posts: 5,598 Member
    Options
    www.walkjogrun.net

If you aren't crazy about using a pedometer (I don't like them, I've had at least four and they don't work or break easily for me) this web site is great for mapping routes you use for walking and running. Also if you have a smart phone there are map apps you can use to keep track of your mileage. So to meet the 50 mile goal that works out to be about 1.6 miles a day, which should be doable for most people within 30 minutes or less. So that's the commitment. On a good week when I walk five days I usually clock about 15 miles in a week. For me that breaks down to about 45 minutes at a 15 minute mile pace five days a week.

Fitness is about time management and making appointments to get exercise tasks done. Just thinking about walking 50 miles can seem daunting unless it's broken down in to realistic and doable segments. Happy walking and I have confidence that all of us here can do this.

So, 1.6 miles each day ... I hope to do more than that each day, but I'm sure that some days it will be less. Thanks for doing the math! You are correct, breaking it down into segments makes it seem doable.
  • melkadee
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, Rocky! I enlisted a non-MFP friend to join me, and we were just talking about how unreliable pedometers can be. I don't have an iphone so I can't use that particular app you shared. So, I just signed up for www.runtastic.com, which is compatible with my android. It also can sync with MFP!

It's really nice to have a buddy to work out with each day!:smile:
  • kathneal67
    kathneal67 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Right here is my ticker (hope this works) not feeling to good! feel like getting a cold, but will get the tread mill out this weekend and work my but off! Will have to think my husband is chasing me or someone has pinched my choc bar and I am chsing them!

Good luck to you all

exercise.png
  • sherylhs
    sherylhs Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 3.2 miles

exercise.png

Hope the ticker worked... :)
  • sherylhs
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, Rocky! I enlisted a non-MFP friend to join me, and we were just talking about how unreliable pedometers can be. I don't have an iphone so I can't use that particular app you shared. So, I just signed up for www.runtastic.com, which is compatible with my android. It also can sync with MFP!

I have an android phone and I use Endomondo... and I love it. It tracks while you walk, maps it and keeps track. Oh... and there is a free version!

~S
  • melkadee
    Options
    I am going to do this.....please keep me on task. If I start to lag behind give me a good swift kick! I am going to set my goal to 93 miles for the month of May.
    THanks for the encouragement,
    Denise

What a goal, Denise! Go for it!!!:happy:
  • melkadee
    Options
    I walked 1.7 miles today. I still have to work on taking control of my diet.

exercise.png
  • dchienku
    dchienku Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    So, I have a question for everyone...do I just count the miles I have walked for the whole day or just what I have done with walking on the treadmill or outside alone???? Please let me know what everyone thinks.
    Denise

So my pedometer says that for today I walked 6.79 miles for the whole day. However, I just got off the treadmill after putting my kids to bed and did 3 miles.
  • sherylhs
    Options
    So, I have a question for everyone...do I just count the miles I have walked for the whole day or just what I have done with walking on the treadmill or outside alone???? Please let me know what everyone thinks.
    Denise

So my pedometer says that for today I walked 6.79 miles for the whole day. However, I just got off the treadmill after putting my kids to bed and did 3 miles.

For purposes of this challenge, I am only counting the walking I do specifically for exercise. You could count all of your miles, but you might want to up it from 50 to something a bit more challenging. lol
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Question: I saw the tickers that people had set up and went to create one. Now, how exactly do I post it here?
  • melkadee
    Options
    What a great challenge! I'm in!!!

Let's do this, Imabanta!
  • MissGrits
    MissGrits Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm in a day late but I walked 2 miles yesterday and 2 miles today.

exercise.png
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Getting back into the swing of things. I can do this!
  • Brie4me
    Brie4me Posts: 238
    Options
    Did a little over 6 miles today :smile:

exercise.png
  • melkadee
    Options
    Did a little over 6 miles today :smile:

exercise.png

BJB66, you are on fire! :bigsmile: You will be finished in no time!
  • melkadee
    Options
    I don't know if I will make 50 as I try to get back on the wagon but a goal is a great thing to have! I'm going to try!

Daisemae123, I am trying to get back on the wagon too. We can do this together!
  • melkadee
    Options
    Right here is my ticker (hope this works) not feeling to good! feel like getting a cold, but will get the tread mill out this weekend and work my but off! Will have to think my husband is chasing me or someone has pinched my choc bar and I am chsing them!

Good luck to you all

exercise.png

Kathneal, take care and feel better soon.
  • melkadee
    Options
    5/1 - 3.2 miles

exercise.png

Hope the ticker worked... :)

Nice work! :flowerforyou:
  • melkadee
    Options
    Denise

Denise, I am going to track my actual workout miles. This challenge is a group challenge, but more importantly you should challenge yourself. You can decide to track the whole day or your workouts. Adjust the goal as needed. I walked 4 miles yesterday, but only 1.7 miles of it purposely increasing my HR. If we are all moving, we are doing something right:happy:
  • melkadee
    Options
    I walked 1.9 miles today on the treadmill.

exercise.png