May check in and chat - May all your weights go up

Options

Replies

• kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Nah, who am I kidding. Lift heavy *kitten* and eat the effing ice cream :bigsmile:

This bears repeating!

Also, I did a power clean today and got so into it that I actually ended up with the bar over my head and all the way up in the air before my brain told me that I was OHP-ing 60 pounds, and what did I think I was doing???!!!?

Whoa.

Of course it wasn't an official "press" ... but ... but ... WHOA. :glasses:

Awesome!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

Vegas - I was so thinking about ice cream today as a treat, but my son gets it as a reward for a week of good behavior in school on Fridays so I don't think I can stop today and throw him off that schedule. :grumble: But tomorrow I will have some I think!

Okay, well, we had to stop and get ice cream to celebrate finding a good deal on a used car!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :drinker:

Now you are going to RAWWWRRRRR when you lift. Watch....it's the magic potion......I had tiger tiger ice cream on the way home from Calgary yesterday and I had a stellar workout this morning :laugh:

I am eating ice cream as I type in preparation for attempting 70 on my OHP's tomorrow - I will report back with the results of the experiment. :) And congrats on the new-to-you car jstout - that's my favorite kind!

I don't lift again until Saturday, but I'm taking a rest day tomorrow so maybe the ice cream power will stick around :happy: And thanks! We got a 2010 VW Jetta TDI sedan. It will be parked right next to our current 2010 VW Jetta TDI Sportswagon! What can I say we know what we like!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Nah, who am I kidding. Lift heavy *kitten* and eat the effing ice cream :bigsmile:

This bears repeating!

Also, I did a power clean today and got so into it that I actually ended up with the bar over my head and all the way up in the air before my brain told me that I was OHP-ing 60 pounds, and what did I think I was doing???!!!?

Whoa.

Awesome!!!
  • fishlover888
    fishlover888 Posts: 132
    Options

This bears repeating!

Whoa.

YAAAH Dani!!!! :drinker:

So excited to DL 135 today so I could actually pull off the 45's! Felt great! I was so exhausted afterwards I had trouble getting my weights off the bar, probably looked ridiculous hehe.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    So excited to DL 135 today so I could actually pull off the 45's! Felt great! I was so exhausted afterwards I had trouble getting my weights off the bar, probably looked ridiculous hehe.

This is why I still use 2x10kg plates on each side instead of 1x20kg - even if I could get them onto the bar there's no way I could get them off after I've done my DL set!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Xidia rest the bar on the catch arms of the cage to load up 1x20 on each end, then you are only lifting up a couple of inches to get off the arms, put on the floor, continue to load up and lift from the floor. Then at the end deload until left with the 1x20 on each side, deadlift that and put back on the arms to deload :)

I haven't gone for the 25kg plates each side for the same reason though!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Damn those yummy food pics tameko!!!

Just running through. Just maintaining lean mass this month...nothing to report, other than my legs being sore from a trail run last evening. A positive with the running and circuits is that I am going to be tanned well before summer comes...woooo! I got sunburned two days ago...

Have a great weekend all. I am back to work Monday ugh! Had a nice "rest" though : ) It was deload week...as well....
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

Congrats !!!!!! That's one of my May goals. Right now I'm at 120, so hopefully I'll be lifting big plates sometime this month!
  • sraffel
    sraffel Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Damn those yummy food pics tameko!!!

Just running through. Just maintaining lean mass this month...nothing to report, other than my legs being sore from a trail run last evening. A positive with the running and circuits is that I am going to be tanned well before summer comes...woooo! I got sunburned two days ago...

Have a great weekend all. I am back to work Monday ugh! Had a nice "rest" though : ) It was deload week...as well....

Love running outside! However, I have the dumbest looking tan lines on my back because all my running tops are racerback. I have no idea how I'm going to even them out.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Still feeling a wee bit sheepish, plus I didn't eat enough before I worked out, so I didn't push overly hard today, but I got a full workout in.

Also figured out that since I stagger/increase my weights for front squats the same as with OHP and then with rows the same as with power cleans, I just do them alternately now (so that efficiency-focused me spends less time shuffling plates around and more time lifting).

No PRs today but I'm super happy to be back at it again. Yay!
    Just got my husbands support to begin lifting and I am super excited! I am so ready to be a toned and powerful woman who can rock the iron. Any beginner tips are welcome. I will change my profile pic monthly to keep me honest.

Welcome! Focus on form, form, form and respect good body mechanics as well as personal limits. And, have fun! It's awesome!

Thank you. I lifted 8 years ago and loved it. I let life get in the way. I am humble and know I need to start from the beginning and relearn what I knew. I love the warm burn of properly worked muscles and I am willing to take it only as fast as my body will let me.

I have found a gym that I feel comfortable in, so I am not worried about distractions and can focus on form and how my body is responding to the stimulation. I also have access to the experience of an old trainer to correct form as needed.

As I have questions I will draw on this forums collective experience.

I am looking forward to celebrating and sharing our victories together.
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Squat 130 Yes! I can squat my weight!
    OHP 60....but it felt good and somewhat easy. I guess that's progress.
    Deadlift 160.
    [/quote]

Go Macy! Squatting your weight is VERY impressive.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

YAAAH Dani!!!! :drinker:

My DL last night was 125 and it was hard trying to get those plates off the bar! Our squat racks have pins on the front that you can load your bar on, but they're about 24" off the ground. Looks like it would be awkward. I might try loading the bar there next time just to see how it goes. Guys in the gym see me struggle with unloading the bar and they always offer to help, which is nice, but it makes me feel weak! There must be an easier way!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    My DL last night was 125 and it was hard trying to get those plates off the bar! Our squat racks have pins on the front that you can load your bar on, but they're about 24" off the ground. Looks like it would be awkward. I might try loading the bar there next time just to see how it goes. Guys in the gym see me struggle with unloading the bar and they always offer to help, which is nice, but it makes me feel weak! There must be an easier way!

I work out in my garage, and so I'm not lifting it if I can't rack/unrack and load/deload it myself. I consider those things part of my training anyway. Plus, I noticed that working with the plate springs (the thingies at the end that you have to squeeze to hold the plates in place) has done serious wonders for my grip strength already. I mean the equipment is all there, why not use it to its full potential, every time?

For DLs I load/unload the bar on the floor. Cause why not? It's where the bar is already, so that's the only thing that makes sense to me. For squats and OHP, I load/unload on the squat rack and for benches I load/unload on the bench rack. I only really ever move the empty bar around from rack to rack and/or floor on principle, and to avoid injury. And when I remove any plates, they immediately go to their proper place on the plate stand, unless I'm doing a quick swap.

I think you should be able to handle your own equipment, every time, all of it, however long it takes. That's all part of training in my book, really. I don't think you should even give a thought of letting other people's impatience take that away from you. Tell them to bite it, and go take care of business. If you struggle to get the plates on or off, then who cares? The more you do it, the better your body will adapt, and the easier it will become. Just make sure you use proper form (yep!) so you don't hurt yourself when moving plates around (or drop them on your toes or smash your fingers with them ... been there, done that, and that *kitten* hurts!) :smile:
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options

I work out in my garage, and so I'm not lifting it if I can't rack/unrack and load/deload it myself. I consider those things part of my training anyway. Plus, I noticed that working with the plate springs (the thingies at the end that you have to squeeze to hold the plates in place) has done serious wonders for my grip strength already. I mean the equipment is all there, why not use it to its full potential, every time?

For DLs I load/unload the bar on the floor. Cause why not? It's where the bar is already, so that's the only thing that makes sense to me. For squats and OHP, I load/unload on the squat rack and for benches I load/unload on the bench rack. I only really ever move the empty bar around from rack to rack and/or floor on principle, and to avoid injury. And when I remove any plates, they immediately go to their proper place on the plate stand, unless I'm doing a quick swap.

I think you should be able to handle your own equipment, every time, all of it, however long it takes. That's all part of training in my book, really. I don't think you should even give a thought of letting other people's impatience take that away from you. Tell them to bite it, and go take care of business. If you struggle to get the plates on or off, then who cares? The more you do it, the better your body will adapt, and the easier it will become. Just make sure you use proper form (yep!) so you don't hurt yourself when moving plates around (or drop them on your toes or smash your fingers with them ... been there, done that, and that *kitten* hurts!) :smile:

I totally agree with everything Dani just said. I workout in my basement, and I do the same thing with loading, reracking right away, etc. etc. etc. Unloading the 45s after deadlifts is still a bear, but it seems to be a much smaller bear than the first time I did it, so I really do consider it part of the workout.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    This morning - didn't feel that strong. I even ate a Clif mini-builder bar and had a cup of coffee right before.

Squats - was supposed to be 130. I miscaluclated and realized after the first set that I put on 120. That felt heavy enough this morning, so I left it like that.
    OHP - I'm stalled on 80 for 3 workouts. Monday I did 80 lbs, 55344 (I think). This morning I barely got out one set at 80 and then deloaded to 65. I think I'll work my way back up hopefully have some fractionals when I get back near 80.
    Deadlifts - the only thing that felt good. 175. !

I'm going to eat and drink like a pig this weekend and see if Monday's workout is any better.
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    @cleo, you are one strong chick. Very inspirational.

So I missed my Wednesday workout because I was wallowing in self-pity all day. Ate some chocolate and slept and got that out of my system.

And hit the weights last night. Squats 120 3x5, Bench 92.5 3 x5, Rows 85 3x5. Was wiped out after but proud. Still wishing some of the belly fat would melt off, but focusing on how good I feel and how much progress I have made.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Just have a second -

Squats 125
    OHP 55544 at 70 - VERY proud of myself for pushing through and not being afraid of failing.
    Deadlifts - 175 (repeat just to make sure my form was good)

Then I did Vegasbaby's medicine ball finisher - it was fun and a great workout! I surprised myself when I adapted the bridge glutes to a wheel (to spare poor hubby from seeing me thrust my hips at the ceiling, LOL), and was able to push myself all the way up and HOLD it! Woot!
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

I totally agree with everything Dani just said. I workout in my basement, and I do the same thing with loading, reracking right away, etc. etc. etc. Unloading the 45s after deadlifts is still a bear, but it seems to be a much smaller bear than the first time I did it, so I really do consider it part of the workout.

Thanks guys! I'll try not to be so self conscious of how I look when loading/unloading the bar. I'll focus on looking like a BAMF while doing the lifts instead :flowerforyou:
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    ooh look at all you awesome women!

I'm going to be down on protein today, partly cos I came home at lunchtime to take over sick kid shift and the huz had bought me lunch from Costa instead of what I'd planned, so very carb heavy and protein not so much.. so I've just had a spoonful of peanut butter as I'm feeling weedy!! gonna be over, hope it helps.

A lifts tonight, going up on squats at 42.5, trying 37.5 bench for the first time, and 45 pendlay rows again..

come on weights, I will own you!!
  • beacrys
    beacrys Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    So new to this that I don't know what goals I could set for a month. Had a friend who is a lifter come to my gym Wed. I squatted, bench pressed, Dead lifted and rowed the men's bar. Though only did 3 sets because he taught me all six movements. We used a machine for the OHP, only 30 pounds.

I am going to the gym today for workout A. I suspect I will use the women's bar for squats and BP and will put weight on the men's bar for rows. I am still experimenting as you can see.