New Rules and Fat Loss

Options
natini
natini Posts: 347 Member
I belong to the New Rules of Lifting for Women on Facebook. There was a discussion regarding Fat Loss and the programs. This quote came directly from Alwyn Cosgrove. I thought this might help some of you.

If your goal is fat loss/size loss- Drop Two Sizes by Rachel Cosgrove
If your goal is strengthen your core - NROL4A
If your goal is to get in shape/back in shape/general fitness and possibly come back from injury/inactivity - NROL4L
If your goal is to gain muscle and strength - NROL Supercharged

I can't in good faith recommend NROL or NROL4W anymore when we've released better programs since then.

Replies

• semira6
    semira6 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Well that's an awful revelation.
  • evans72002
    evans72002 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    How is supercharged different than nrolfw?
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I know. I couldn't believe that he actually said that on Facebook. He is basically not endorsing his old books. I have Supercharged and it is a menu approach. You pick the exercises in certain catagories. For example, the core catagory. He has a beginning exercise and then has others that get progressively harder. You pick the one that is going to challenge you the most. I really like the book, but wasn't seeing the fat loss that I wanted. I was definately getting stronger and gaining muscle.
  • semira6
    semira6 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Guess I'll check out LeanGains or something. I need to lose fat AND gain muscle.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Isn't it funny that you posted this on a day when I'm contemplating abandonging the NROLFW ship. I'm halfway through Stage 4 and beginning to dread my workouts.
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Isn't it funny that you posted this on a day when I'm contemplating abandonging the NROLFW ship. I'm halfway through Stage 4 and beginning to dread my workouts.

Don't quit!!

I kinda wish I hadn't read this! Haha! I do appreciate you letting us know though, that's very interesting. I'll be starting stage 5 on Monday. Regardless of what anyone says, I know I'm losing inches and gaining strength. :)
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I know that I will continue with the program, but it's good to know what other programs there are and could come after I finish this one.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Don't quit!!

I kinda wish I hadn't read this! Haha! I do appreciate you letting us know though, that's very interesting. I'll be starting stage 5 on Monday. Regardless of what anyone says, I know I'm losing inches and gaining strength. :)

I'm trying not to...lol. I'm at least going to finish 4. That's another week or so. Then, I'll reevaluate.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    That IS interesting. Has anyone looked at the "drop two sizes" book? I haven't even heard of it.

I am also losing weight and gaining strength. Hard to understand why a "menu" approach wd be better. I do think the abs component of nrolfw could be improved.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    That's very odd. I don't know. I haven't heard of Cosgroves "Two Sizes" book. I didn't like her other one ("Female Body Breakthrough"). For me, I really think it's all about finding the right calorie deficit. When I ate at a modest DEFICIT during NROL4W, the inches melted while I gained strength. Same now while I'm doing Supercharged. I may stick to the Basic Training stages (which are focused on training for fat loss) for longer than they are written. I think ANY good weight training program that you are eating a deficit on will probably get you fat loss results. But he is the expert....
  • makinitcount44
    makinitcount44 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    That two sizes book was just released in April so Im sure there aren't too many reviews out there.

CCG- what do you consider a modest deficit? TDEE- 20%? I don't see why inches would come off with NROLFW if the nutrition portion was decent.
  • becca2911
    becca2911 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Well that's an awful revelation.

LOL! Thats what I thought! DAMN :laugh:
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Supercharged and I love it. But I don't think I'd be as successful at it without completing NROL for Women first. I would not have had the confidence to choose the tough exercises if I were making the choices with no weightlifting background.

I get what Alwyn is saying -- that the newer programs incorporate the latest evidence based practice in fitness -- but I would personally advise those who have no lifting experience and who aren't confident about their abilities to start with for Women.
  • avielosesit
    avielosesit Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    That's very odd. I don't know. I haven't heard of Cosgroves "Two Sizes" book. I didn't like her other one ("Female Body Breakthrough"). For me, I really think it's all about finding the right calorie deficit. When I ate at a modest DEFICIT during NROL4W, the inches melted while I gained strength. Same now while I'm doing Supercharged. I may stick to the Basic Training stages (which are focused on training for fat loss) for longer than they are written. I think ANY good weight training program that you are eating a deficit on will probably get you fat loss results. But he is the expert....

Just wanted to ask a follow up to this... By basic stages, do you mean stage 1, 2... .? Just curious. I'm in stage 1 and trying to optimize fat loss by doing the training with low intensity cardio 1-2x a week and a moderate deficit. (Tdee - 15%)

Thanks!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I asked him on his speed coaching (FB) what would be best for losing weight and he did recommend his wife's books or NROL4Abs. I couldn't stick with abs. It was boring.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options

Just wanted to ask a follow up to this... By basic stages, do you mean stage 1, 2... .? Just curious. I'm in stage 1 and trying to optimize fat loss by doing the training with low intensity cardio 1-2x a week and a moderate deficit. (Tdee - 15%)

Thanks!

Sorry, I was talking about the Basic Training stages in Supercharged. I'm loving the results. Supercharged includes 10 mins of HIIT after every workout. They explain the importance of HIIT in Supercharged. You might consider adding some HIIT after those workouts instead of the low intensity cardio on non-lifting days. Lou actually recently advised someone on the NROL FB page to do this.

By moderate I mean 10-20%.

Like Sunshine said, the newer programs are designed with more evidence to guide them. But I agree with her that NROL4W is a GREAT introduction to lifting. For *me* diet has been the determining factor in fat loss.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    WOW!
  • avielosesit
    avielosesit Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks cowgirl! (I can't bring myself to call you chubby. You are NOT!)

I do quite enjoy hiits... I really like the idea of adding 10 mins after a weight workout to on a no lifting day.

What kind of hiits do each of you do? My go to is running sprints 200m to 400m). Just curious what lose is out there. I'm taking a break from running due to an injury.
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's a promotional exercise to get people to buy the newer books - I guess this is the cynic in me!
  • becca2911
    becca2911 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Sorry, I was talking about the Basic Training stages in Supercharged. I'm loving the results. Supercharged includes 10 mins of HIIT after every workout. They explain the importance of HIIT in Supercharged. You might consider adding some HIIT after those workouts instead of the low intensity cardio on non-lifting days. Lou actually recently advised someone on the NROL FB page to do this.

By moderate I mean 10-20%.

Like Sunshine said, the newer programs are designed with more evidence to guide them. But I agree with her that NROL4W is a GREAT introduction to lifting. For *me* diet has been the determining factor in fat loss.

Just starting stage 2... would it be a good idea to add HIIT after every workout... not just workout B?