• Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    If you want to know what's going on in a mans head it's usually:
    boobs/sex
    food
    beer
    sports

If you don't want to think about it so much try to give yourself something else to think about.

I'm not talking about what he generally thinks about. I'm talking about what he thinks of me.

I thought that was obvious.
    Okay well if you want an honest answer...

I'm not sure what you mean in your original post by "it annoys the guy" but he probably likes you but thinks you're needy and annoying. What he thinks of you is most likely directly dependent on how you act around him. If you act cool than he will think you're cool, if you constantly ask questions about how he feels about you he will think you're insecure.

Again, if you want to stop thinking about it, give your brain something else to think about. Get a hobby, do a project, try to focus on work, working out, whatever. Just find a way to deal with it yourself and whatever you do don't ask the guy about it. There is seriously no bigger turn off than when someone you're just getting to know starts asking you about where this is going and how you're feeling.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    boobs/sex
    food
    beer
    sports

If you don't want to think about it so much try to give yourself something else to think about.

I'm not talking about what he generally thinks about. I'm talking about what he thinks of me.

I'm not sure what you mean in your original post by "it annoys the guy" but he probably likes you but thinks you're needy and annoying. What he thinks of you is most likely directly dependent on how you act around him. If you act cool than he will think you're cool, if you constantly ask questions about how he feels about you he will think you're insecure.

Again, if you want to stop thinking about it, give your brain something else to think about. Get a hobby, do a project, try to focus on work, working out, whatever. Just find a way to deal with it yourself and whatever you do don't ask the guy about it. There is seriously no bigger turn off than when someone you're just getting to know starts asking you about where this is going and how you're feeling.

Yeah, I'm not needy. I'm just really into him and have been for a long time. I keep trying to get close and then I start thinking and **** it up. I realize all this. I really just posted to this to remind myself that I'm doing it again and maybe get some tips on how to reign my stupid brain in.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    And the great thing is, once you accept it and move on, you are free to meet someone else, but you are also free to try again with the first guy if circumstances bring you together again later on.

Yeah, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. This last sentence sums up the point that I'm at with this guy. I could so easily fall head over heels for him, but I really just need him to give me the cue.
  • Roadie2000
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not needy. I'm just really into him and have been for a long time. I keep trying to get close and then I start thinking and **** it up. I realize all this. I really just posted to this to remind myself that I'm doing it again and maybe get some tips on how to reign my stupid brain in.
    Right on, well I hope your brain cooperates in the future, I know mine gets in the way half the time too.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    boobs/sex
    food
    beer
    sports

^^^ awesome advice roadie and anna.

you guys are awesome! :flowerforyou:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    One more quick question... when we do finally go out, should I be direct about what I really want... or just wait for the cue?
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    One more quick question... when we do finally go out, should I be direct about what I really want... or just wait for the cue?

Depends. What is it that you really want?
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options

Depends, do you want to know for sure or waffle in uncertainty?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

I want to know for sure, but being direct hasn't worked with this guy in the past. He likes to chase. He chased me for two years before he turned my head. The timing wasn't right for either of us. Then when it was right, I over-analyzed it, made an assumption, and it shut things down. I really didn't talk to him much for the last year. But he has agreed to meet for dinner next week, and I desperately want out of the friend zone.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

I want to know for sure, but being direct hasn't worked with this guy in the past. He likes to chase. He chased me for two years before he turned my head. The timing wasn't right for either of us. Then when it was right, I over-analyzed it, made an assumption, and it shut things down. I really didn't talk to him much for the last year. But he has agreed to meet for dinner next week, and I desperately want out of the friend zone.

Be direct.
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Normally it's best to be direct, but the "desperately" part can be a turn off. So I would make your interest known by flirting (thus stepping out of the friends zone) and distract yourself from the "what does he think of me" doubts by focussing on the moment, what he is saying (rather than what he is not) etc. Try and go with the mindset that this guy would be lucky to get you and if he isn't interested then that's his loss because you are awesome :smile: You could just ask him (with a big smile) - is this a date? Anything other than a yes is the wrong answer.

I have to say if you already know each other as friends and making an assumption ended things last time then it's not a great sign. Sounds to me like he know your feelings were strong and he backed off. This could be because his feelings were not as strong or it could be that he does care for you too but likes to be in less intense relationships because he has committment issues. My money is on the latter. I hope I'm wrong and that he is at a point in his life where he is ready to go for what he wants and it's you :flowerforyou: If all goes well then by all means let him chase you, but I wouldn't get involved if he cannot handle you reciprocating as this problem will not go away.

Finally I'm fairly sure I answered some of your posts before (please forgive me if I'm wrong) and I wondered if perhaps you find the idea of total committement a bit scary too. If when you were first starting out, a guy felt towards you the way you do towards this guy, how would you react? Would it depend on whether you liked him or would you be spooked? If the latter then I wonder if part of why you are hooked into this guy so much is because he is ambivalent and although you would like him to not be, you may need that lack of ability to commit in order to do so yourself because it feels safer. I may be barking up the wrong tree here but just raise it as a possibility as it is so common for people to get stuck in these relationship patterns due to their stuff, without realising what's hapening time and time again in successive relationships.
  • Roadie2000
    Options
    when it was right, I over-analyzed it, made an assumption, and it shut things down.
    I'm not really sure what you're talking about here, but guys eventually stop chasing girls that shut them down. You're going to need to be direct with him, don't just wait around for him to chase you again. He already did it for two years?. Just ask him if he wants to try dating or whatever. It's a pretty simple question.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    when it was right, I over-analyzed it, made an assumption, and it shut things down.
    I'm not really sure what you're talking about here, but guys eventually stop chasing girls that shut them down. You're going to need to be direct with him, don't just wait around for him to chase you again. He already did it for two years?. Just ask him if he wants to try dating or whatever. It's a pretty simple question.

Okay. Thanks. You've been really helpful.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Normally it's best to be direct, but the "desperately" part can be a turn off. So I would make your interest known by flirting (thus stepping out of the friends zone) and distract yourself from the "what does he think of me" doubts by focussing on the moment, what he is saying (rather than what he is not) etc. Try and go with the mindset that this guy would be lucky to get you and if he isn't interested then that's his loss because you are awesome :smile: You could just ask him (with a big smile) - is this a date? Anything other than a yes is the wrong answer.

I have to say if you already know each other as friends and making an assumption ended things last time then it's not a great sign. Sounds to me like he know your feelings were strong and he backed off. This could be because his feelings were not as strong or it could be that he does care for you too but likes to be in less intense relationships because he has committment issues. My money is on the latter. I hope I'm wrong and that he is at a point in his life where he is ready to go for what he wants and it's you :flowerforyou: If all goes well then by all means let him chase you, but I wouldn't get involved if he cannot handle you reciprocating as this problem will not go away.

Finally I'm fairly sure I answered some of your posts before (please forgive me if I'm wrong) and I wondered if perhaps you find the idea of total committement a bit scary too. If when you were first starting out, a guy felt towards you the way you do towards this guy, how would you react? Would it depend on whether you liked him or would you be spooked? If the latter then I wonder if part of why you are hooked into this guy so much is because he is ambivalent and although you would like him to not be, you may need that lack of ability to commit in order to do so yourself because it feels safer. I may be barking up the wrong tree here but just raise it as a possibility as it is so common for people to get stuck in these relationship patterns due to their stuff, without realising what's hapening time and time again in successive relationships.

Okay... let me just give you the whole story. I was in a serious, long-term relationship when I first met him. He was recently divorced. The interest was there. I had resolved that it wouldn't work because he wanted more children and I couldn't have anymore. And I continued in the relationship that I was in, and he went back to his ex-wife. She ended up getting pregnant and before the twins were born, she dumped him. Of course, after having twins, he was through with the desire to have more children, LOL. It was around this time that I really began to realize that I had strong feelings for him, but I was still in a relationship. Eventually, he gave up on me and moved on, but we started getting closer as friends. At this point, I fell hard for him.

Eventually, I realized that I was completely unhappy, and broke up with my boyfriend. He continued in his relationship and being single, I realized that I couldn't deal with it so I just left him alone. Then, he and I were both single. I approached him with the idea of an FWB type relationship. Looking back, I sent it by email, which probably wasn't the best idea. After a few days, I didn't hear from him, and I assumed that he didn't care and emailed him again basically saying as much. His response was short. He had been out of town, he didn't have to explain himself to me, and that I was wrong. He didn't really say what I was wrong about.

We've had a little communication over FB for the last year. All of it friendly, but no in depth conversation. Then, the other day, I decided that I really missed him, and messaged and asked if we could reconnect. He got back to me immediately, and we made plans for dinner next week. I don't know if he is single now or not. I think that his response indicates at least something positive about the possibility.

There... I put the whole thing out there. I'm kind of ashamed of the way I treated him before. I realize now that I wasn't really ready for an FWB relationship with him at the time. I truly want him to be more than that, but I'm not opposed to the idea either. As far as commitment issues go, yes... he has some... or at least had some. I have been burned in a few relationships so I do have trust issues, but I'm not afraid of commitment. I'm just at a point in life where I don't need a commitment to be satisfied. Still, my feelings for him have always been strong, and I do have a tendency to rush into relationships.

I know I have a pattern. I'm trying to change.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    err, sounds like he's not into it, honestly. There's no mixed signals there to be over analyzed. I might be completely wrong but he might just be hoping to have his cool friend back, he might even *kitten* you but... It sounds like you're trying to wring water from a rock.
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I think he cares (that was what he was saying you were wrong about).

None of us know, you'll have to talk to him about it. My advice: forget about labelling it and defining what it is or could be. Forget about negotiations and what he/you may want or not want.

Try and see this as an opportunity to break your pattern and trust your feelings, wherever they may lead you. What will be will be, just be true to yourself/your relationship with him and avoid getting distracted by getting carried away by your fears. Tell him you're ashamed of what you wrote, you weren't ready for him, you miss him, you'd like to have him back in your life. Then relax and enjoy his company :smile:
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    So, you have a complicated history. I think the only way I could go into this dinner/reconnection without being completely insane and over-analyzing everything would be to put a lid on it."We have a history. The end." . I'd try not to filter every word or gesture through the history- just be in the moment. If things go well and you move forward-then prioritize anything from the past and be strategic about when to sort through it together.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    So, you have a complicated history. I think the only way I could go into this dinner/reconnection without being completely insane and over-analyzing everything would be to put a lid on it."We have a history. The end." . I'd try not to filter every word or gesture through the history- just be in the moment. If things go well and you move forward-then prioritize anything from the past and be strategic about when to sort through it together.

agreed. u guys have a complicated history. i think u need to relax and go into it as if you are catching up with a friend. u don't know where he is in life or what he's looking for. so maybe before u put yourself out there, you talk, LISTEN, and see where he is and if it would even work. he might have moved on by now so don't get your hopes up. just kind of feel it out and enjoy the moment.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options

agreed. u guys have a complicated history. i think u need to relax and go into it as if you are catching up with a friend. u don't know where he is in life or what he's looking for. so maybe before u put yourself out there, you talk, LISTEN, and see where he is and if it would even work. he might have moved on by now so don't get your hopes up. just kind of feel it out and enjoy the moment.

I agree with this (as well as the other posters) but I also think you should go in, listen, and see where is he in his life. Hey you never know, you may just not want him anymore after some time getting to know him/reconnect with him again. People change for the good and the bad, and considering if you were in a relationship when you met him you may have been 'attached' to things becuase you lacked something from your then current BF and just wanted to feel 'special' or 'better' again, but otherwise he may have been completely wrong for you. If you haven't seen him in awhile, I would not think of this as a date and I would not try to clarify if it is one. Go out, see him, and then decide WHAT you want from him now, don't worry about what he thinks at this point.

Good luck!
  • Tube_socks
    Tube_socks Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I'm an overanalyzer for sure.

Here is what's helped me.

I realized that what I was doing wasn't beneficial to me. I was ****ing things up with the guys when that's not what I wanted to do. It was self sabotaging of some sort. I just realize it didn't help me at all. So though my mind will fall into it, I work very hard against it. I truly rather "go with the flow". I think this menality has helped me with my current bf.

Also, I don't claim to know it all and I do understand that not all men are exactly the same but if you could try to grasp and try to understand men, it would help. Men are NOT that complicated. I'll give you an example. BF and I argued one time. I was soooo worried and overanalyzed everything for a week. I was scared he was going to dump me, I was mad, I was sad, etc. I went over to his place and see him playing video games like nothing. It clicked in my head that while I'm over there overanalyzing, crazy, etc, he's just like nothing. Yeah he was pissed but that was all. He wasn't there thinking and thinking about the arguement like I was. Blah!

Anyway, I don't think it'll go away but I think you can reduce it to where it isn't running your life.